The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The "S" word.

+10
Bloxboy
golfermartin
Noshankingtonite
drive4show
EmmDee57
Rossa
barragan
LondonJonnyO
super_realist
4putt
14 posters

Go down

The "S" word. Empty The "S" word.

Post by 4putt Tue 14 Jun 2011, 10:57 am

Last week I played with a friend who's a competent 12 handicap player. He had a mare of a round, hitting 15 shanked shots. I was glad to get off the course in case it was contagious. Unfortunately it appears it was, yesterday I hit my first shank for about 10 years. Crying or Very sad
Can anyone beat 15 shanks in a round?

4putt

Back to top Go down

The "S" word. Empty Re: The "S" word.

Post by super_realist Tue 14 Jun 2011, 11:01 am

Is that rhyming slang?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue 14 Jun 2011, 11:02 am

My cousin paid for a holiday to Turkey playing golf on some lovely courses a few years ago.

He started shanking it on the range. something like 50 in a row. Got onto the course... 5 holes played with every shot shanked. He put his clubs away and didn't play for the rest of the week instead caddying for various other people throughout the remaining rounds.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by 4putt Tue 14 Jun 2011, 11:08 am

LondonJonnyO wrote:
He started shanking it on the range.

He should have put his change in his other trouser pocket LJ. Worked for Kevin Costner in Tin Cup. Very Happy

4putt

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue 14 Jun 2011, 11:10 am

I took a look and tried all sorts.

the only thing that had him anywhere near the middle of the bat was swinging with his eyes closed.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue 14 Jun 2011, 12:04 pm

most of my shanks come at the range when hitting off mats. i tend to dig in a bit with my swing so its probably something to do with hitting mat first and the club bouncing if the swing path is slightly l2r or r2l. consequently i try and practice off grass as much as possible!

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Tue 14 Jun 2011, 12:05 pm

I have a particular 'shank hole'.

its on long par 5 wher many slice the tee shot OOB...

When i avoid this particular destiny i'm left with a long then mid iron to the green, i have been known on numerous occasions, to shank a relatively straight forward shot from the fairway stright OOB... on one ocassion i did this 3 times one after another, on another i have done it 2 times. On both occasions it was the only time i shanked it during the round.

My other favourite shanking time is where i crack a monstous drive leaving a 90-50 yard approach, this is invariablely shanked (sometimes fatted/thinned), leaving me in the exactly the same position i would have been in with a ropey drive and pretty unspectacular recovery... love this game!
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Tue 14 Jun 2011, 1:05 pm

I've been shanking since October last year. Only been out twice this year. Thinking of retiring from the game if it happens again when I go back out. It's a horrible feeling.

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 14 Jun 2011, 1:18 pm

I have the occasional one which normally bites you out of the blue so not too worried about it. However, I used to have a set of Titleist DCI's and virtually everytime I tried to hit the 4 iron I would pipe one off the hosel. Every other club in the set was fine.

Obviously a manufacturing defect Whistle

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Tue 14 Jun 2011, 5:31 pm

I've got a hole on my course where the old Tommy Tank rear it's ugly head almost to order. Even did it two days on the trot; practice round and comp the following morning, from exactly the same spot on the fairway ghost
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Tue 14 Jun 2011, 9:52 pm

I play each Saturday with a bloke who's off 9 at the moment. He's been down to 7, so quite a reasonable player. He's really been suffering lately. And one leads to another and another and another... Not sure whether he's topped 15 in a round - I try not to take too much notice: it's definitely contagious! And terrible to witness.

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bloxboy Wed 15 Jun 2011, 10:15 am

It is contagious! I have seen mass shanking at my club. My friend who suffers badly recently got his entire 4 ball going with them including one guy who said he'd never, ever had one before (yeah!).

I am convinced it's the fear of them that makes them happen which is why they are contagious. Tight grip, steering and not turning or releasing - perfect recipe.

I've got a big match this afternoon - probably just triggered a bout for myself by even writing about them

Bloxboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 15 Jun 2011, 10:39 am

The S word, can't even bring myself to say the proper one, infectious little barstewards of a disease. Not had one for a long time I am only able to say that due to layoff at moment so I do not fear that I am tempting fate, worst I ever had them was 7 straight holes in a courtesy round at a course I was due to play a 36hole comp at. I was playing alone so i just walked off the course straight onto the range and put a bucket level with the clubhead at address and the only thing I focused on was not the ball, not the strike but missing the bucket with the clubhead at impact. S words were cured and went on that weekend to play some good golf, but i've seen them so bad people have taken breaks from the game. Evil things

Last edited by Maverick on Wed 15 Jun 2011, 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Wed 15 Jun 2011, 10:51 am

I hit a horrible one last night, with a group of three people watching me on a par-3 over a valley. Lucy Locket straight into a bush. They said 'don't worry son, happens to us all and quickly scurried away crossing themselves and muttering 'MacBeth''. Hit the next win to eight feet, but noone was watching that 🤦
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Wed 15 Jun 2011, 7:30 pm

Was my works golf day yesterday and my friend started putting from a 100 yards down the fairway he was having that many problems,

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 15 Jun 2011, 9:01 pm

Shank! Shank! Shank! Shank! Shank! Shank! Shank! Shank! Shank! Shank! Shank! Shank! Shank! Shank! Shank! Shank! Shank! Shank! Shank! Shank! Whistle
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Thu 16 Jun 2011, 10:43 am

After 11 holes of hitting rescue club from distances where irons should have been hit to avoid the shank, it all came apart on the 12th when an 8 iron was shanked into a hazard and my round fell apart. From +1 through 11 the confidence went and finished +11. Even the putter began to fail me. Hate the shanks, hate them!!

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 16 Jun 2011, 10:45 am

In order to cure the shanks you need Cheech Marin, a tee behind your ear and Rene Russo willing to let you have a mulligan.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 16 Jun 2011, 11:31 am

My mate got to the point of having a 13 wood in the bag which meant he only carried 8/9/w but still got the dreadeds.However after lazer eye surgery never looked like another Bit drastic though if you dont wear glasses

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 16 Jun 2011, 12:39 pm

dynamark wrote:My mate got to the point of having a 13 wood in the bag which meant he only carried 8/9/w but still got the dreadeds.However after lazer eye surgery never looked like another Bit drastic though if you dont wear glasses

If the laser treatment doesn't work, try a full frontal lobotomy Erm

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down