The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2022 FIFA World Cup

+18
Galted
westisbest
Pal Joey
RiscaGame
mountain man
Luke
Lowlandbrit
Mind the windows Tino.
Luckless Pedestrian
JDizzle
eirebilly_01
Soul Requiem
alfie
No name Bertie
dummy_half
Good Golly I'm Olly
GSC
Duty281
22 posters

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Who will win the World Cup?

2022 FIFA World Cup - Page 11 Vote_lcap33%2022 FIFA World Cup - Page 11 Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 3 ]
2022 FIFA World Cup - Page 11 Vote_lcap22%2022 FIFA World Cup - Page 11 Vote_rcap 22% 
[ 2 ]
2022 FIFA World Cup - Page 11 Vote_lcap22%2022 FIFA World Cup - Page 11 Vote_rcap 22% 
[ 2 ]
2022 FIFA World Cup - Page 11 Vote_lcap0%2022 FIFA World Cup - Page 11 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
2022 FIFA World Cup - Page 11 Vote_lcap0%2022 FIFA World Cup - Page 11 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
2022 FIFA World Cup - Page 11 Vote_lcap11%2022 FIFA World Cup - Page 11 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 1 ]
2022 FIFA World Cup - Page 11 Vote_lcap11%2022 FIFA World Cup - Page 11 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 9

Poll closed

2022 FIFA World Cup - Page 11 Empty 2022 FIFA World Cup

Post by Duty281 Mon 07 Nov 2022, 2:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

The strangest World Cup of them all will begin in Qatar in just a couple of weeks. The first World Cup (and surely not the last!) to be held in Arabia; the first World Cup not to take place in May, June or July; only the second World Cup to be hosted in Asia; and the last World Cup to be played with the 32-team format, as from 2026 the tournament will expand to 48 teams.

Free-scoring Brazil are, as usual, the bookmakers' favourites for the World Cup. It's been quite a barren run for the five-time winners - 20 years since they last won the tournament, and they've only made it past the quarter-finals once in the last four iterations. They were runners-up in last year's Copa America, but have since gone on an unbeaten run which has seen them cruise through qualification.

Argentina, the Copa America champions, are installed as the second favourites, in what will surely be Messi's last chance of World Cup glory. The Argentines are on a very long unbeaten run, having not experienced defeat in any fixture for over three years. Will Messi finally emulate Maradona and lead his side to their first World Cup in 36 years? Uruguay and Ecuador are the only other South American entrants; Colombia and Chile have missed out.

Turning to Europe, France are defending their second World Cup crown - they will be hoping it will go better than their first defence when they were dispatched in the group stage in 2002. On paper they still retain a strong side; in reality they're on a poor run of form, having been knocked out of the last Euros in the Last 16, and some key players will miss the World Cup through injury.

Europe, of course, has a wide range of potential winners extending beyond France. England, with an array of exciting attacking talent, will try to end all those years of hurt and misery, having come so close last year to breaking the duck. But they have also struggled in recent times, with Southgate struggling to get the best out of his creative talents. Germany and Spain both won the World Cup in the last decade, and are hoping to bounce back from disappointments in 2018. Belgium's golden generation has one last chance to deliver, as does Ronaldo for Portugal. The Dutch and the Danes will remain optimistic, and Wales are in it for the first time since 1958.

Or, perchance, for the very first time a winner outside of Europe and South America? African champions Senegal are likely leading this charge, with Mane and Koulibaly at the heart of their side, although no African nation has ever made the semi-finals of this competition. The North Americans are well represented with all three host nations of 2026 - Canada, USA and Mexico - and Costa Rica  making an appearance, although you'll have to go back to 1930 for the last, and only, time a North American team made the semi-final stage.

Oceania have zero representation - unless you count Australia, but in footballing terms Australia are as Asian as Israel are European - and haven't done so since New Zealand's unbeaten run in 2010. The Asian continent hasn't done anything of note since South Korea in 2002, and their best hope this year probably comes from the South Koreans or Japanese, although hosts Qatar will be hoping to navigate themselves through a tricky group.

Um...come on, England?

Odds on the outright winners:

Odds on Golden Boot:

World Cup Schedule:

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

2022 FIFA World Cup - Page 11 Empty Re: 2022 FIFA World Cup

Post by GSC Tue 29 Nov 2022, 8:18 pm

Gareth is playing Trent it's all happening
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue 29 Nov 2022, 8:19 pm

Top of the group, getting squad players some minutes. Can't complain.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 29 Nov 2022, 8:19 pm

GSC wrote:Time to look after Harry's ankles I think

GS agrees . Here come the subs...

Wales have got a bit busier now at two down but you'd think England will have more scoring chances now. Chance for Wilson to show what he can do perhaps ?

And good to see Phillips and TAA getting some game time.

Last edited by alfie on Tue 29 Nov 2022, 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 29 Nov 2022, 8:20 pm

Top save from Pickford that.

Foden and Rashford have now given Southgate a selection headache ahead of the Senegal game. Bench begins to empty.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 29 Nov 2022, 8:23 pm

Ramsey finally makes an impact
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 29 Nov 2022, 8:23 pm

Duty281 wrote:Top save from Pickford that.

Foden and Rashford have now given Southgate a selection headache ahead of the Senegal game. Bench begins to empty.

Nice problems to have. Pity Kane still hasn't hit the scoreboard yet but not complaining ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 29 Nov 2022, 8:29 pm

alfie wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Top save from Pickford that.

Nice problems to have. Pity Kane still hasn't hit the scoreboard yet but not complaining ...

Indeed! Three assists as a consolation for Kane, I don't think he started scoring at the last Euros until the last 16 stage, so perhaps he's saving it for Senegal.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 29 Nov 2022, 8:29 pm

Rashford !

Maybe fancies the Golden Boot Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 29 Nov 2022, 8:31 pm

That keeper is shocking. How he's in the Premier League is baffling. But great to see Rashford's confidence soaring, it's been a wonderful comeback for him this season for club and country.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 29 Nov 2022, 8:36 pm

Danny Ward starts for Leicester because they didn't think Schmeichel would leave
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 29 Nov 2022, 8:39 pm

GSC wrote:Danny Ward starts for Leicester because they didn't think Schmeichel would leave

Ward is a big reason why Leicester started the season so poorly.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 29 Nov 2022, 8:39 pm

Duty281 wrote:That keeper is shocking. How he's in the Premier League is baffling. But great to see Rashford's confidence soaring, it's been a wonderful comeback for him this season for club and country.

Indeed. For a moment there I thought he was on for a hat trick. Off now but he's done the job thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 29 Nov 2022, 8:42 pm

Meanwhile Iran are down 0-1 and have been dominated by all account. But they've got ten minutes of normal time, plus all the stoppage time, to rescue their World Cup.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 29 Nov 2022, 8:44 pm

I'm old enough to remember Aaron Ramsey described as world class
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 29 Nov 2022, 8:50 pm

GSC wrote:I'm old enough to remember Aaron Ramsey described as world class

Best midfielder in the world at one point if I do recall rightly, can't remember which poster said that.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 29 Nov 2022, 9:05 pm

Delighted USA won.
Iran bunch of cheats.

Hopefully USA can beat Holland.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 29 Nov 2022, 9:09 pm

Good stuff from England. Not an 'A*' performance, let's not get carried away. But good enough.

I think Rashford and Foden have done enough to earn starts on Sunday. In fact I'd probably keep with the same team. I hope Southgate doesn't adjust the shape at the very least.

Senegal will be the toughest test England have had. The loss of Mane has limited their attacking threat, and the suspension of Gueye is a further hindrance for them, but led by Koulibaly they remain a difficult defence to break down (it took the Dutch 84 minutes to score), even if their keeper is a bit dodgy. England are favourites, but not overwhelmingly so. The winners are set to get a QF v France, so that's something to look forward to.

Wales had a terrible tournament. Just one good half against a tired USA side was all they had to show for their efforts. Messy period of transition coming up for them as they (should) move past the old-timers of Bale and Ramsey.

USA through after beating Iran, despite some Iranian dives at the end. USA v the Netherlands will be an intriguing game to kick off the last-16. Ecuador showed the vulnerabilities of the Dutch, and the USA can win the midfield battle, although getting past the sturdy Dutch defence could prove a challenge.

Duty281

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 29 Nov 2022, 9:10 pm

If USA had a good striker, they could be progress reasonably far.
They lack that.
They have 4 years to try and find one.

westisbest

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 29 Nov 2022, 10:33 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Actually think we looked a bit better post subs, and we're going to need one of Phillips/Henderson to start alongside Rice in the knockout stages, with Bellingham furthest forward in the midfield three if we are going to continue with the 4-3-3 formation.
I struggle to see what he sees in Mount personally

Not a great performance but not a disaster either - think they had one decent chance all game and I can't remember Pickford doing anything 2nd half. And as said barring some sort of 1 in 100 turnaround in the final round of fixtures, we're through which is all that matters

As suspected, we looked better with someone a bit more sturdy alongside Rice and Bellingham further forward. Hope Southgate sticks with a similar plan for the Round of 16, and nice to have some selection headaches going into it!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Wed 30 Nov 2022, 7:39 am

westisbest wrote:Delighted USA won.
Iran bunch of cheats.

Hopefully USA can beat Holland.

I personally want Nederlands to win, having lived there for many years I have an affinity with them. I said at the very start of this tournament that I believe they will get to to Semi Finals and I still think so.

Not the most attractive team out there but incredibly hard to beat.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 30 Nov 2022, 8:42 am

In the end the changes had the desired effects and Gareth has some selection headaches for Sunday.

Imagine Walker will be retained at RB, Trippier is solid but Walkers output going forward makes England a much tougher prospect to contain. Likewise Foden surely takes one of the spots alongside Kane.

Two big questions, Henderson or Mount, and Sterling, Saka or Rashford. Looked more solid with Henderson but not really any comparison between the USA midfield pressing and Wales letting England have the freedom of the midfield. I'll take a blind stab at Mount.

Not sure Sakas gonna win the other spot so really loyalty/trust in Sterling reproducing his Euros impact or Rashfords recent form. Gareth's history suggests it's probably Sterling
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 30 Nov 2022, 8:53 am

Filthy dive from Foden for the free kick, so I’ll take a moral 3-0 win for Wales. Wink

Signs had been there for a while - been on a poor run of form and only secured passage through the play offs thanks to some Bale magic and a big deflection when they were outplayed vs Ukraine. I think there is a grand total of 0 people in Wales who would have told a clearly not fit Bale he couldn’t play in this WC, so I don’t blame Page for that - but abandoning Ampadu as a lone DM vs USA and Iran was silly and a refusal to go long to Moore vs both Iran and England was foolhardy.

When the disappointment of the incredibly limp showing subsides, they should all be ridiculously proud of taking Wales to their first WC in 64 years - but it will take a new manager to make the big calls required to refresh the team going forward I fear.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 30 Nov 2022, 9:04 am

To be honest I'm not that bothered which combination Southgate chooses to start (though I'd prefer he sticks to just two CBs) as the good form shown by various players over the two "good" games , and the new substitute numbers , should allow appropriate changes if needed during the match. The fact that nine goals have come without just relying on Kane suggests there are a few more attacking options on the table than in the recent past.

We certainly shouldn't get carried away with another good win as Wales were , to be polite , not very good. But I think they'll be reasonably confident of getting past Senegal as long as they continue to make the improvement you would expect as you go further into the tournament. Not suggesting it will be a pushover ; but one you'd fancy winning.

What comes next we can worry about later.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Wed 30 Nov 2022, 10:12 am

I would be very careful with Senegal, they are really not a bad team and one that runs on pure emotion. This will be an extremely tough game for England. Sadly, i expect some injuries for England during this game.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 30 Nov 2022, 10:21 am

Not sure Senegal have much in an attacking sense beyond Sarr from what I've seen so far. If they had Mane they probably could've won their group though, so shouldn't be underestimated. Certainly will be a lot tougher to play through than Wales.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 30 Nov 2022, 12:50 pm

Group C and D finish up today.

Group D looks pretty simple. As long as France don't lose to Tunisia, they will top the group and be in England's half, and Australia will need to avoid defeat v Denmark to advance, otherwise it will be Denmark going through. Could become a bit more complicated if Tunisia beat France, but as they haven't even scored a goal yet I don't think it will happen.

Group C is a lot more complex. Poland will definitely go through if they don't lose to Argentina. If Poland do lose and Saudi Arabia don't beat Mexico, then Poland are still probable to go through owing to their good GD.

A win guarantees progress for Argentina. A loss guarantees the exit door for Argentina. A draw and they'll probably get through provided Saudi Arabia don't win, as Mexico's GD isn't the best. If Argentina finish second they'll get France (if France finish top) in the Last 16, a repeat of 2018.

Saudi Arabia are definitely through if they win, definitely out if they lose. A draw will do it if Poland win, or might do it if Poland get hammered.

Mexico have to win to have any chance, a draw or a loss puts them out. A Mexico win and a Poland win puts them through for sure. A Mexico win and a Poland draw or Poland loss means they'll have to overturn the GD deficit.

If the goals start flying in in Group C it'll be difficult to keep track. We'll miss this in 2026!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 30 Nov 2022, 1:28 pm

Just because FIFA hasn't messed around enough with the 2026 world cup, they're considering a penalty shootout after a draw to award a bonus point or returning to 4 man groups.

Presumably because someone sat down for 5 minutes and considered why 16 3 team groups with the top 2 progressing is a really stupid idea
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 30 Nov 2022, 1:38 pm

GSC wrote:Just because FIFA hasn't messed around enough with the 2026 world cup, they're considering a penalty shootout after a draw to award a bonus point or returning to 4 man groups.

Presumably because someone sat down for 5 minutes and considered why 16 3 team groups with the top 2 progressing is a really stupid idea

Penalty shootout after a draw? I think they do that in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy group stage. Definitely wouldn't like that idea, it would further encourage teams to put up the barricades.

4 team groups with 48 teams would mean they'd have to go down the messy European Championship route of finding the 8 best third-placed teams, which hardly anyone likes as a format because it's difficult to work out the possible draws ahead of time, and it can be a bit unequal depending on the strength of the groups. At least FIFA seem to acknowledge they have to do something, because in the present proposed format for 2026 we're going to see many repeats of Germany-Austria 1982.

Most sensible solution would be to scrap the 48 teams idea and go back to 32. It works. People like it. Why change it?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 30 Nov 2022, 1:53 pm

Because money is more important than the quality of a world cup
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Wed 30 Nov 2022, 2:13 pm

Duty281 wrote:
GSC wrote:Presumably because someone sat down for 5 minutes and considered why 16 3 team groups with the top 2 progressing is a really stupid idea
4 team groups with 48 teams would mean they'd have to go down the messy European Championship route of finding the 8 best third-placed teams
(...)
Most sensible solution would be to scrap the 48 teams idea and go back to 32.
Or scrap the extra round, and only keep the group winners.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 30 Nov 2022, 2:32 pm

France ring the changes so Tunisia have an in I guess. Denmark were a popular darkhorse pick (if such a thing exists) but they've been very passive so far. Teams having to win a head to head to progress were 2/2 yesterday so see if they can similarly raise it
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 30 Nov 2022, 2:44 pm

Lowlandbrit wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
GSC wrote:Presumably because someone sat down for 5 minutes and considered why 16 3 team groups with the top 2 progressing is a really stupid idea
4 team groups with 48 teams would mean they'd have to go down the messy European Championship route of finding the 8 best third-placed teams
(...)
Most sensible solution would be to scrap the 48 teams idea and go back to 32.
Or scrap the extra round, and only keep the group winners.

That could work actually. But then it would be six matches to win the World Cup (two in the group, four KO games) and FIFA want to keep it at seven.

An alternative could be 12 groups of four. Have the 12 group winners advance to a second group stage (similar to 1982). The second group stage would have four groups of three teams, winners go to the semi-finals. The number of games would be kept at seven that way, albeit with five group games and two KO games.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 30 Nov 2022, 2:49 pm

Still a pretty strong French team and they have the luxury of throwing on the likes of Mbappe if they're a goal down after sixty or whatever.

Hope Australia get through, though I've got nothing against Denmark. You assume Australia will be like Iran yesterday - happy with a point and trust France not to lose to Tunisia. Tunisia would eclipse Australia on GD if they're both tied on four points.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 30 Nov 2022, 3:02 pm

I just go back to they have a format that works, the competition is a reasonable length, there's a decent standard with scope for a few surprise nations to pop up everytime and most of the games have something riding on them.

And that's a problem for someone
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Wed 30 Nov 2022, 3:31 pm

The Australia Denmark match is actually entertaining. Denmark really going for it and lok about 2 classes above Australia but the Aussies are hanging on.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 30 Nov 2022, 3:50 pm

Yeah Denmark have the better quality but are struggle to turn some good positions into clear chances. A lot of teams missing a proper center forward while Erling watches at home.

Australia trying to be positive when they get on the ball but it's pretty scrappy
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Wed 30 Nov 2022, 3:52 pm

Scrappy it is but also entertaining Very Happy

I really do hope for the Aussies.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 30 Nov 2022, 3:53 pm

Like the way Australia have approached it. They could have just shoved ten behind the ball and hope for the best, instead they've been proactive and tried to press the Danes and get them into a physical battle.

Danes look very dangerous in the wide areas, especially if they switch the point of attack from flank to flank as Australia look very constricted, but they've failed to put any good crosses in. Eriksen is still playing a little too deep for my liking.

Australia have got into some promising positions, though they've failed to construct a good chance thus far. They seem to be winning the majority of the high balls and 50-50s, and the Danish defence looks a little hesitant and jittery.

Australia just 45 minutes away from only their second last 16 appearance.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 30 Nov 2022, 4:04 pm

Australia happy to be still level at half time ...Denmark have looked very dangerous but can't actually finish , bit like their earlier games. They're maybe going to get a bit more anxious as the minutes go by without that needed goal.

Australia can't afford to just defend though. Think they will need to score one to ensure at least a draw. And if Denmark over commit they might get a good chance to do so...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 30 Nov 2022, 4:18 pm

Tunisia lead a Friday afternoon level motivated France

Both teams now have to chase a winner
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 30 Nov 2022, 4:20 pm

Well that's blown it open.

No, wait, Aussie score! High drama.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 30 Nov 2022, 4:20 pm

Now Australia lead!

The official darkhorses™ are on the brink of going out
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 30 Nov 2022, 4:21 pm

It's all happening now !

Terrific work from Leckie to give Australia the vital goal and lead...needed that with Tunisia taking a lead over France.

Denmark have a mountain to climb now for more than one reason.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 30 Nov 2022, 4:22 pm

Mbappe coming on might be Denmark's biggest hope
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 30 Nov 2022, 4:23 pm

Oof just too much on that ball from Irvine
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 30 Nov 2022, 4:43 pm

Too early to count chickens while it's only one goal in it in both games. But Denmark are looking a bit desperate now - as well they might. They surely aren't going to find two goals ?
That near thing on the penalty was the only time they've really threatened lately.

But with Tunisia still in front Australia can't afford any slip ups...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 30 Nov 2022, 4:54 pm

Thoughts of 99 with Schmeichel going up for a corner!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 30 Nov 2022, 4:55 pm

Well done Australia clapclapclap

alfie

Pal Joey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 30 Nov 2022, 4:56 pm

France have equalised! But Aussies win anyway!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 30 Nov 2022, 4:59 pm

Nerve shredding last few minutes there as Denmark kept swarming forward...but the Aussie defence held out.
Owe a lot to Souttar again.

Pretty remarkable that they've managed two wins in a row after only ever winning two before in all those years 😀

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next