The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Political round up.............

+20
Soul Requiem
the-goon2
TRUSSMAN66
dummy_half
JDizzle
navyblueshorts
Lowlandbrit
Mind the windows Tino.
Luckless Pedestrian
lostinwales
Pr4wn
GSC
JuliusHMarx
Samo
BamBam
No name Bertie
Derek Smalls
mountain man
Duty281
superflyweight
24 posters

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Go down

Political round up............. Empty Political round up.............

Post by superflyweight Mon 24 Oct 2022, 5:06 pm

Duty281 wrote:Sunak speaks for a grand total of 84 seconds and then scuttles away to get his orders.

Crackpot.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Political round up............. Empty Re: Political round up.............

Post by Duty281 Mon 24 Oct 2022, 5:07 pm

Derek Smalls wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Sunak speaks for a grand total of 84 seconds and then scuttles away to get his orders.

Don't tell me. He's got a second job with Just Eat
?

I'd be careful with such jokes, dear boy.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Mon 24 Oct 2022, 5:24 pm

Samo wrote:Still, I think the fact he is the first BAME and non-Christian PM is something worth celebrating.

I know what you mean but think it's irrelevant. Whoever is PM I don't care what colour they are or if they are religous or athiest, straight gay whatever. All I care about is they do what's right for the UK.
Thatcher was first female PM and many hated her. Likewise Obama in US.

mountain man

navyblueshorts likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 24 Oct 2022, 6:54 pm

The Conservative Party has become so addicted to serial regicide that some of its MPs are predicting Mr Sunak might struggle even to last as long as Liz Truss, and will be forced out like his three predecessors, unable to marshal the considerable majority built in 2019.

The Boris Johnson “ultras” in the party, like Sir Christopher Chope and Nadine Dorries, are muttering about rebellions, raising the prospect of an “ungovernable” Conservative Party giving the next leader no choice but to call an immediate general election, which Labour would almost certainly win.

With a working majority of 71, the new Tory leader could be brought down by a hardcore of just 36 right-wing rebels if they decided to consistently vote with Labour and block the Government’s ability to legislate.

Come on, rebels, bring the house down. Get him out by Christmas.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Derek Smalls likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Derek Smalls Mon 24 Oct 2022, 7:27 pm

Duty281 wrote:
Derek Smalls wrote:

Don't tell me. He's got a second job with Just Eat
?

I'd be careful with such jokes, dear boy.

Well now his wife pays her proper tax he's probably a bit skint
Derek Smalls
Derek Smalls

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Mon 24 Oct 2022, 7:37 pm

Duty281 wrote:I doubt many British Indians and Hindus would want to be reminded of their association with Sunak.....
They're letting off the fireworks in celebration.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Derek Smalls Tue 25 Oct 2022, 12:50 am

That's called Diwali.

Not that Sunak was in any great pains to draw attention to this either. I wonder why? Is it because he doesn't want to remind the conservative electorate?
Derek Smalls
Derek Smalls

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 25 Oct 2022, 6:58 am

Duty281 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Yes, they are both criminals and liars, who should be far from public office, and are the symptoms of our broken political system.
laughing Come on. If this were standard practice, there'd be no-one in Government (or opposition) at all.

IMO, Sunak has orders of magnitude more integrity than Johnson, the latter of whom has made a lifetime of lying, shagging and corruption.

Nothing wrong with a good shag.

The hole in the ground at the end of your garden doesn’t count buddy

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 25 Oct 2022, 7:59 am

Samo wrote:

I'd imagine it means quite a lot to British Indians and Hindus.

Speaking as a British Sikh Punjabi, Frak Sunak and all of his ilk

BamBam

Luckless Pedestrian, Mochyn du and Derek Smalls like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Derek Smalls Tue 25 Oct 2022, 1:39 pm

Derek Smalls wrote:Just a pleasant thought to add,  Rees  Mogg is doubtful to get a cabinet position, and for that I think the country should celebrate.
Let's hope Patel is nowhere near power ever again,too

Three big turds flushed away in two months!
Derek Smalls
Derek Smalls

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Tue 25 Oct 2022, 2:11 pm

Rees-Mogg and Brandon Lewis both resign from cabinet. Shapps expected to be moved to JRM’s old position, which frees up the Home Secretary position.

I’ve heard that its been earmarked for Dominic Raab (dear lord) but there is also rumblings that Braverman could make a return.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 25 Oct 2022, 3:37 pm

Miserable speech from Sunak to begin his Premiership.

'Right now our country is facing a profound economic crisis' - yes, because of you, Sunak.

'The aftermath of Covid still lingers' - incorrect, the aftermath of lockdown still lingers, and the £400bn borrowed to pay for it, much of it wasted on nonsense like Track and Trace, or fraudulent contracts, during which Sunak was Chancellor.

'But some mistakes were made [by Truss]' - I imagine this will be the theme of Sunak's tenure as PM. When challenged about economic malaise, he will heap the blame on Truss, even though he is the one responsible (and Johnson) during his two years at no.11.

'I have been elected as leader of my party, and your Prime Minister, in part, to fix them.' - not actually elected as either. The last time the Tory Party had an election, Sunak was soundly defeated.

'difficult decisions to come.' - tax hikes (even with the burden already the highest since the 1940s), spending cuts and reduced support for the poorest. Then, if he's still around, about two-three months out from the GE, tax cuts and spending promises will be announced.

Followed by some empty words and meaningless, vacuous slogans. Sunak's term begins somewhere between 25% and 39% behind Labour, but his immediate concern is ensuring his position as leader of the Tory Party is safe.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 25 Oct 2022, 3:52 pm

In shock news today, the UK still has the same Chancellor that it had last week.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 25 Oct 2022, 4:21 pm

Hunt's the one running the show, that's why all three leadership contenders pledged to keep him as Chancellor.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 25 Oct 2022, 4:29 pm

Suella Braverman back in cabinet a week after resigning for a security breach.

Wise move by Sunak to placate the moron wing of the party
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Tue 25 Oct 2022, 5:03 pm

GSC wrote:Suella Braverman back in cabinet a week after resigning for a security breach.

Wise move by Sunak to placate the moron wing of the party

You cant really blame him for the state of his cabinet, theres no talent left in UKIP the Conservatives since all the compentant ones who didnt back Brexit were purged by Johnson.

Seeing as Sunak was one of those championing Brexit its almost entirely self inflicted. Its just a shame the rest of us have to suffer because of it.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 25 Oct 2022, 5:20 pm

The Truss government set a high bar but starting yours talking about a government of accountability and integrity, then bringing back Braverman 6 days after she had to resign for breaching ministerial code, because she endorsed him over Boris is top drawer from Rishi
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 25 Oct 2022, 5:22 pm

I also feel there's a prevailing public sentiment that Braverman is... well... evil?

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 25 Oct 2022, 5:31 pm

GSC wrote:The Truss government set a high bar but starting yours talking about a government of accountability and integrity, then bringing back Braverman 6 days after she had to resign for breaching ministerial code, because she endorsed him over Boris is top drawer from Rishi

I imagine the breach of ministerial code was either made-up or very minor, just used as an excuse by Truss to remove Braverman. Braverman did back Sunak, and she was also key in bringing Truss' short-lived Premiership down, so I reckon this is Sunak's way of saying 'thanks'.

Braverman appears to be very strong on wanting to stop illegal immigration while Truss wasn't, hence their key divide. It'll be interesting to see what happens with regard to this now Sunak is PM.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 25 Oct 2022, 6:00 pm

Anyone having tofu for tea?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 25 Oct 2022, 6:00 pm

WOKERATI ALERT

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 26 Oct 2022, 1:35 pm

Duty281 wrote:
GSC wrote:The Truss government set a high bar but starting yours talking about a government of accountability and integrity, then bringing back Braverman 6 days after she had to resign for breaching ministerial code, because she endorsed him over Boris is top drawer from Rishi

I imagine the breach of ministerial code was either made-up or very minor, just used as an excuse by Truss to remove Braverman. Braverman did back Sunak, and she was also key in bringing Truss' short-lived Premiership down, so I reckon this is Sunak's way of saying 'thanks'.

Braverman appears to be very strong on wanting to stop illegal immigration while Truss wasn't, hence their key divide. It'll be interesting to see what happens with regard to this now Sunak is PM.

That is what she's said, but there are suggestions that it was more significant than that, plus rumors that she is a bit slap dash in general.

It was not a good appointment by any stretch, especially so close to her previous departure from the same position. She's also not turned up to answer the urgent question on the matter from Cooper.

She has caught the media attention though, to the extent that nobody is talking about the return of the likes of Williamson to the position of minister without a clue, and Raaaab to minister without a clue about justice...

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 27 Oct 2022, 11:17 am

Duty281 wrote:The Conservative Party has become so addicted to serial regicide that some of its MPs are predicting Mr Sunak might struggle even to last as long as Liz Truss, and will be forced out like his three predecessors, unable to marshal the considerable majority built in 2019.

The Boris Johnson “ultras” in the party, like Sir Christopher Chope and Nadine Dorries, are muttering about rebellions, raising the prospect of an “ungovernable” Conservative Party giving the next leader no choice but to call an immediate general election, which Labour would almost certainly win.

With a working majority of 71, the new Tory leader could be brought down by a hardcore of just 36 right-wing rebels if they decided to consistently vote with Labour and block the Government’s ability to legislate.

What's the source for that, Duty? I assume you didn't just put your own words in italics! OK

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 27 Oct 2022, 11:38 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
Duty281 wrote:The Conservative Party has become so addicted to serial regicide that some of its MPs are predicting Mr Sunak might struggle even to last as long as Liz Truss, and will be forced out like his three predecessors, unable to marshal the considerable majority built in 2019.

What's the source for that, Duty? I assume you didn't just put your own words in italics! OK

This is a fair assumption. It was in the Telegraph.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/10/24/rishi-sunaks-colleagues-already-sharpening-axe-readiness-another/

Spoiler:

Duty281

Luckless Pedestrian likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 27 Oct 2022, 11:50 am

I doubt that very much. Conservative party had so much turmoil last few months that Sunak seen as calming influence even if he's not everyones choice. I'd be surprised if there's a revolt against him and in all likelyhood he'll be PM and leader until next GE. And that won't be until term ends as not even most staunch anti Sunak MP will want a GE as they know Tories highly likely will lose.
Financial markets have settled a bit since he was elected, any more unrest in party be an utter disaster.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 27 Oct 2022, 12:09 pm

For the Tory party to rebel now would probably be party suicide. The next leader would have to go to the country for a mandate, else the party is ungovernable.

They'd get obliterated in any GE, and out of power it would probably just splinter into various factions. So they'll behave for a while, if only for their own self interest
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 27 Oct 2022, 12:12 pm

It would take a Braverman than me to predict another Tory rebellion.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 27 Oct 2022, 12:49 pm

Even in the context of the last few months, I find it incredible that Jake Berry would just openly state that there had been multiple breaches of the ministerial code. Not the usual anonymous briefings, but the man who a couple of days ago was chairman of the party just coming right out and saying it. They don't even want unity at this point, do they?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Mon 31 Oct 2022, 5:37 pm

Yvette Cooper making absolute mince meat out of Braverman in the commons. The longer Braverman stays in her position the worse it will be for Sunak, but thats the price you pay when you make a deal with the devil.

Samo

Derek Smalls likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 31 Oct 2022, 7:33 pm

The scummy little rat calling migrants an invasion is a particular low point even for her

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Tue 01 Nov 2022, 6:09 am

BamBam wrote:The scummy little rat calling migrants an invasion is a particular low point even for her

We’ve long gone past UKIP and the BNP, this is full blown National Front type rhetoric. Its disgusting and dangerous. Especially a couple of days removed from a migrant processing centre being firebombed.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 01 Nov 2022, 1:46 pm

Matt Hancock is a disgrace and further besmirches the low reputation of the political class. The Tories have removed the whip, justifiably so.

Disgraceful that in situations such as these constituents have no democratic method of recalling their MP.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Tue 01 Nov 2022, 3:58 pm

Interesting that Hancock has the whip removed while they had no problem with Johnson going to the US for a $150k speech and swanning off on holiday to the Caribbean. While parliament was sitting.

If I had to guess I would say Sunak has an axe to grind with Hancock.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 02 Nov 2022, 10:16 am

Badenoch having a dig at the OBR for being wrong on their forecasts is delightful. Firstly, it is a forecast. A calculation based on estimations. When I worked in a corporate environment, the only consistency you'd find in forecasts is that they are always wrong. Secondly, you're in no position to criticise after recent events.

But don't worry, she is keen to work alongside the OBR to make the process better. I'm sure they are totally jazzed about that.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Derek Smalls Wed 02 Nov 2022, 10:26 am

Braverman has obviously been an advocate of A.J.Ayer, who put forward the proposition that a proposition not based on certitude is null and void of legitimacy.
She turns to herself as the true centre of truth and authority.
Derek Smalls
Derek Smalls

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Wed 02 Nov 2022, 12:13 pm

Christ Sunak really is terrible at this PMQ's thing isnt he? All he has is Brexit and Corbyn.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri 04 Nov 2022, 6:11 pm

The Governor of the Bank of England, Andrew Bailey, has said that the Bank was forced to step in "quickly" and "decisively" to mitigate a "very real threat to financial stability" after the disastrous mini-budget.

"We certainly reached a point where markets were very unstable, and these were core markets, this is the Government bond market, which is in many ways the most core of all"

"And it was becoming unstable and it was affecting ... pension funds for instance, and how they were operating. Our worry was that when you get into that situation, this can easily spread very rapidly and then you have a huge job on your hands to get it back under control. So we had to step in quickly and we had to step in quite decisively."

Asked if the UK was days, even hours, away from potential total meltdown, Mr Bailey said: "I think at that point when we intervened, I can tell you that the messages we were getting from the markets were that it was hours."

Still, Truss lost her bottle, eh? Just when this was being hailed as a "True Conservative Budget", this school of thought gets exposed as exactly what it is.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sat 05 Nov 2022, 8:15 am

Pr4wn wrote:Just when this was being hailed as a "True Conservative Budget", this school of thought gets exposed as exactly what it is.
The problem with this discussion is that those two things aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. Economic forecasts are notoriously inaccurate, but the models underpin the economy, which makes it almost impossible to test alternatives (allowing supporters to remain convinced they're better). Same thing you saw with Corbyn, but with the roles reversed regarding the forecasts.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Tue 08 Nov 2022, 9:44 am

COP27 and could Rishi Sunak be an anti-industry pro green ideologue?  Is he going to apologize on behalf of Britain for the Industrial Revolution and send billions of British pounds to Asia and elsewhere for climate change reparations?  Will those billions find their way to his father in law and relatives who seem to have a strong involvement in the green industry.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Tue 08 Nov 2022, 8:23 pm

Gavin Williamson resigns following claims about past bullying and conduct.

Good riddance. Another one who always seems to fail upward.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 10 Nov 2022, 3:57 pm

Samo wrote:Gavin Williamson resigns following claims about past bullying and conduct.

Have to admit that while I think Williamson is the very definition of a talentless, over-promoted buffoon, this 'bullying' is almost laughable unless more comes out. So he's an angry berk who tells people to 'jump out a window' etc? Good grief. This is politicians we're talking about here. They all swear at each other, apparently all the time. Are they all snowflakes? Honestly, I actually thought this was news until I saw some of the things he was alleged to have said. Hasn't the country got more important concerns than some utterly pathetic 'bullying' allegation by a non-entity? No wonder we're FUBAR.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 10 Nov 2022, 4:11 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
Samo wrote:Gavin Williamson resigns following claims about past bullying and conduct.

Have to admit that while I think Williamson is the very definition of a talentless, over-promoted buffoon, this 'bullying' is almost laughable unless more comes out. So he's an angry berk who tells people to 'jump out a window' etc? Good grief. This is politicians we're talking about here. They all swear at each other, apparently all the time. Are they all snowflakes? Honestly, I actually thought this was news until I saw some of the things he was alleged to have said. Hasn't the country got more important concerns than some utterly pathetic 'bullying' allegation by a non-entity? No wonder we're FUBAR.

Go slit your throat.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 10 Nov 2022, 4:16 pm

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect government ministers, especially those in cabinet or high ranking positions to act professionally. Excusing it is just lowering the bar
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 10 Nov 2022, 5:04 pm

Gavin Williamson has a negative approval score amongst Tory members. An incredible effort. He must have some incredible dirt on Sunak.

And I think there are probably slightly bigger reasons why the country is FUBAR than because people believe Gavin Williamson shouldn’t be allowed to go around telling staff beneath him to slit their own throat. He should have never got a job in the first place and it’s right he’s gone.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Thu 10 Nov 2022, 5:07 pm

UK faces 50 billion pound fiscal hole, government sources say

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uk-faces-50-billion-pound-fiscal-hole-government-sources-say-2022-11-07/

British finance minister Jeremy Hunt will seek to fill a 50 billion pound ($57 billion) hole in the country's public finances with around 30 billion pounds of spending cuts and 20 billion in tax rises, two government sources said on Monday.

Hunt is due to present a fiscal statement to parliament on Nov. 17.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 11 Nov 2022, 11:46 am

GSC wrote:I don't think it's unreasonable to expect government ministers, especially those in cabinet or high ranking positions to act professionally. Excusing it is just lowering the bar
I agree, but this case so far is hardly worth making a mountain out of a molehill, is it? Then again, that's the level of our politics. If this is what happens to Williamson re. this issue, and it were applied to other MPs w/o fear or favour, I doubt we'd have very many in Parliament. Probably just me...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 11 Nov 2022, 3:30 pm

If they do then they are no great loss. No wonder Boris managed to rise so high if those are acceptable standards
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri 11 Nov 2022, 8:12 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
GSC wrote:I don't think it's unreasonable to expect government ministers, especially those in cabinet or high ranking positions to act professionally. Excusing it is just lowering the bar
I agree, but this case so far is hardly worth making a mountain out of a molehill, is it? Then again, that's the level of our politics. If this is what happens to Williamson re. this issue, and it were applied to other MPs w/o fear or favour, I doubt we'd have very many in Parliament. Probably just me...

If I did this in my job I would be sacked and never taken back by the company I work for. If a civil servant did it, the same thing would likely happen to them.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 14 Nov 2022, 5:55 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/nov/14/brexit-a-major-cause-of-uks-return-to-austerity-says-senior-economist

“The UK economy as a whole has been permanently damaged by Brexit,” Michael Saunders, who was an external member of the central bank’s monetary policy committee, said in an interview with Bloomberg TV.

“It’s reduced the economy’s potential output significantly, eroded business investment,” he said, adding: “If we hadn’t had Brexit, we probably wouldn’t be talking about an austerity budget this week.”

Bloomin' remoaners, eh? Always talking Britain down.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Tue 15 Nov 2022, 8:56 am

Has he tried believing in Britain a bit more?

Samo

lostinwales likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next