The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Autumn 'World Cup Lite' Tournament Announced

5 posters

Go down

New Autumn 'World Cup Lite' Tournament Announced Empty New Autumn 'World Cup Lite' Tournament Announced

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Tue 21 Mar 2023, 10:56 am

Not sure if this has been discussed, but some reports of a new biennial tournament in the Autumn involving the NH and SH, and culminating in a grand final:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/other/wales-to-play-in-new-competition-as-autumn-and-summer-internationals-change-forever/ar-AA18SY8q?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=4bd62eccd2fb4e15b9cb217dd072fa2f&ei=10

Seems like a lite version of a world cup to me.

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

New Autumn 'World Cup Lite' Tournament Announced Empty Re: New Autumn 'World Cup Lite' Tournament Announced

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Tue 21 Mar 2023, 8:05 pm

Looks like this is instead of any 6N promotion and relegation, I.e. giving sides like Georgia a chance to play regularly against the bigger, more established nations.

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

New Autumn 'World Cup Lite' Tournament Announced Empty Re: New Autumn 'World Cup Lite' Tournament Announced

Post by doctor_grey Tue 21 Mar 2023, 10:39 pm

I think we do not need this. More Rugby, or rather more high intensity Rugby is not good. Less is more.

To me this is just another instance of putting the burden on the players to close the financial gaps that were created elsewhere. Again.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 21 Mar 2023, 11:38 pm

Sounds bloody awful. There's nothing wrong with the current system of summer and autumn games, and the idea of England travelling around three different countries - that could be as geographically diverse as Fiji, Argentina and Australia - to play one-off games sounds like a nonsense.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2023/03/20/revealed-world-rugbys-blueprint-new-global-tournament/#comment

Spoiler:

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 22 Mar 2023, 7:15 am

Not overly fussed by this tbh. Nothing we don't already see. If we're tinkering with North vs south format would much rather see clubs line up against each other.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Wed 22 Mar 2023, 7:52 pm

It sounds absolute bobbins and no real need at all

carpet baboon

Heaf and Unclear like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down