The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England's Summer of Cricket 2023, Featuring The Ashes

+24
GSC
No name Bertie
Marky
Galted
Afro
msp83
Pal Joey
James100
KP_fan
Maine man
Soul Requiem
eirebilly_01
JDizzle
Jetty
Lowlandbrit
dummy_half
Mind the windows Tino.
king_carlos
Good Golly I'm Olly
guildfordbat
Sgt_Pooly
alfie
VTR
Duty281
28 posters

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

England's Summer of Cricket 2023, Featuring The Ashes - Page 10 Empty England's Summer of Cricket 2023, Featuring The Ashes

Post by Duty281 Tue 21 Mar - 13:12

First topic message reminder :

June 1st-June 4th: One Test v Ireland (four days)
June 16th-July 31st: Five Tests v Australia
August 30th-September 5th: Four T20s v New Zealand
September 8th-September 15th: Four ODIs v New Zealand
September 20th-September 26th: Three ODIs v Ireland

England try to wrest the Ashes back from Australia, in a series which could be the greatest since 2005. Australia have currently held the urn for just over five years, which is the longest spell of urn-holding since the 1989-2005 period.

Ireland also visit for a test before that, and then there's some limited-overs games squashed into the last days of summer.

Last edited by Duty281 on Sat 13 May - 15:21; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Just noticed it's a four-day test again)

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Pal Joey and guildfordbat like this post

Back to top Go down

England's Summer of Cricket 2023, Featuring The Ashes - Page 10 Empty Re: England's Summer of Cricket 2023, Featuring The Ashes

Post by alfie Fri 16 Jun - 12:44

Duty281 wrote:
alfie wrote:I'm going to have to mute the commentary soon...

This duo's half-hour is nearly up!

TGFT...

Can put up with most of 'em at least for a while : but KP has me grinding my teeth very quickly.

alfie

Back to top Go down

England's Summer of Cricket 2023, Featuring The Ashes - Page 10 Empty Re: England's Summer of Cricket 2023, Featuring The Ashes

Post by king_carlos Fri 16 Jun - 12:45

Boland back for his second spell now.

Still no Cam Green with the ball. I'd have betted on seeing him in the first session.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 16 Jun - 12:46

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Does appear to be a bit of rough developing in the bowler's follow through - Lyon is getting a bit of grip, suspect it'll turn later in the game.

KP_fan and Moeen are rubbing their hands in anticipation...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 16 Jun - 12:53

Lowlandbrit wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
alfie wrote:I'm going to have to mute the commentary soon...
This duo's half-hour is nearly up!
You could put TMS on instead, but Vaughan's on there...

There's no escape!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 16 Jun - 13:01

27 over session...very decent in modern terms ! Early use of the spinner has helped...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 16 Jun - 13:03

That is the howler of all howlers by Erasmus. Is he deaf? Crawley gone for 61, perhaps fortunate to get that far, despite some sumptuous drives.

Advantage Australia at lunch.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Fri 16 Jun - 13:04

Another shocker from the umpire...

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 16 Jun - 13:04

Boland gets Crawley on the stroke of lunch with one that rises and catches the glove - not sure it's quite as docile as folk are making out, we've seen a couple shoot through to the keeper and that one rose

Aussies will be happier though I suspect
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 16 Jun - 13:07

Argh. Crawley had batted so well. Shocker of call to be fair. Smashed the glove.

Definitely Australia's session despite the 124 runs for me. It's a batters paradise. England are batting well on the whole but need that big partnership (or more than one of them ideally) to capitalise on this wicket.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 16 Jun - 13:08

And Crawley gone right on lunch !

Excellent knock ; but that third wicket has had Australia going into lunch quite happy...

Fair reward for Boland who has bowled well again clap

I had a funny feeling there was going to be a late wicket there rather against the run of play. England probably disappointed to be three down after seeming to seize the initiative and forcing Australia into an uncharacteristically passive stance.

Plenty of action as we thought : need a break to chill after all that...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 16 Jun - 13:11

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Boland gets Crawley on the stroke of lunch with one that rises and catches the glove - not sure it's quite as docile as folk are making out, we've seen a couple shoot through to the keeper and that one rose

Part of my concern about England needing to go so big is that we've still only seen that little bit of extra carry on occasion despite the Aussies having a quicker and taller seam attack.

The forecast is overcast and humid but not raining tomorrow. Then heavy showers on Sunday. That will be more like what England's attack want to bowl in.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 16 Jun - 13:14

Think Australia will be happy with that. Decent run rate of course, but if it is as flat as they say, scores of 60 and 30 at a good strike rate are hardly going to be telling

VTR

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Fri 16 Jun - 13:17

Advantage Australia for me. Don't think they really care what England score if it means they get a look at how this bowling lineup likes this pitch today.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 16 Jun - 13:27

Bit worried about what's to come with England's batting. Brook, who's barely seen a red ball recently; Stokes, with a damaged knee; Bairstow, who's only had Division 2 cricket and Ireland since breaking his leg; and then the tail.

If Australia nip Root out in the first 30 minutes of the afternoon, they'll fancy keeping England below 300.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 16 Jun - 13:28

VTR wrote:Think Australia will be happy with that. Decent run rate of course, but if it is as flat as they say, scores of 60 and 30 at a good strike rate are hardly going to be telling

Agree, VTR. Even though he's not playing, it's the Starc Syndrome - they've gone for a few but have got a few. And 3 on the opening morning after losing the toss on this track and in these conditions is a good haul.

Wickets shared around too as I was banging on about before the start.

Anyway, down to Joe and Harry to level things up and more in the next session ....

guildfordbat

Pal Joey and VTR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 16 Jun - 13:29

Eng's RR is good but too many wickets gone.....1 wicket too many at-least and the trajectory is favoring Aus.....2 wickets in last 30 runs....and going at 3 RPO in last half hour.

If Eng can bat 2 more sessions then they would be near a respectable total of 350 to 370 which is par or slightly below par of 400ish for first inning.
The problem for Eng will be if they are bundled in the 2nd sessions for 260 odd and also quite likely seeing the last half hour trajectory of play

The pitch is good for batting and 3 medium pacers on a non-green pitch +Ali who goes at 40 runs /wicket will not be able to hold Aus for less than 400 which is closer to par.

KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 16 Jun - 13:34

Don't you start maligning Ali, KP_fan! He's England most indispensable player, remember?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 16 Jun - 13:52

Duty281 wrote:Don't you start maligning Ali, KP_fan! He's England most indispensable player, remember?

He is the best availbale spin resource that Eng has....who as a bonus can bat too

But he is not worth no. 4 bowler in England conditions....and that too served on a platter, pleading him out of retirement thru a whatsapp message and an OBE hand out before the start of T1 Very Happy
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 16 Jun - 13:59

KP_fan wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Don't you start maligning Ali, KP_fan! He's England most indispensable player, remember?

He is the best availbale spin resource that Eng has....who as a bonus can bat too

But he is not worth no. 4 bowler in England conditions....and that too served on a platter, pleading him out of retirement thru a whatsapp message and an OBE hand out before the start of T1 Very Happy

Apart from Dawson, of course, who's also a better batter and better fielder. And Ahmed. Who's also a better batter.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Fri 16 Jun - 14:00

Duty281 wrote:That is the howler of all howlers by Erasmus. Is he deaf? Crawley gone for 61 ...
Maybe what we hear radio / television is not what the umpire hears in the centre of a large stadium with screaming spectators and noisy cricketers.   It seemed loud enough from the BBC microphone - but clearly not for the umpire who is surely not that bad.  Hence I assume he didn't hear it clearly above the noise of the crowd etc.

In hindsight it seems that the Australians tactics were spot on for this first session.   Maybe this first test will be done and dusted by Monday.

Last edited by No name Bertie on Fri 16 Jun - 14:01; edited 1 time in total
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 16 Jun - 14:00

Why not give Moeen the OBE, they gave Collingwood an MBE for scoring 17 runs. Ian Ward must be fuming that he wasn't knighted for his Test performances

Last edited by VTR on Fri 16 Jun - 14:14; edited 1 time in total

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 16 Jun - 14:10

Pretty please can the Moeen thing not spiral again this early...? Hug

England's best two batters at the crease IMO.

I really love that Brook is using the Root method against spin of trying to have very forward or very late contact points. I do however feel that he isn't quite as comfortable yet with going full back. It's the right way to play and he has the talent to figure it out no doubt. But it's one small area where I feel he's still developing. At times he looks a little skittish almost when playing it really late.

That's not skittish at all though. Down the track and wallops Bolland over extra cover. God he's good going over the top there.

Then an ugly uppercut get grassed by Head. Tough chance. Potentially a big moment.

England are fluent but need that telling partnership still.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 16 Jun - 14:12

Boland perhaps the pick of the bowlers so far. Should have had Brook there, but Head lost it on the way down.

Surprised they haven't given Green a go, to see if he can get extra bounce from the pitch, utilising his height. I wonder if Green had a fitness issue this morning and was touch-and-go, hence why Marsh was readying himself to play?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 16 Jun - 14:13

No name Bertie wrote:
Duty281 wrote:That is the howler of all howlers by Erasmus. Is he deaf? Crawley gone for 61 ...
Maybe what we hear radio / television is not what the umpire hears in the centre of a large stadium with screaming spectators and noisy cricketers.   It seemed loud enough from the BBC microphone - but clearly not for the umpire who is surely not that bad.  Hence I assume he didn't hear it clearly above the noise of the crowd etc.

In hindsight it seems that the Australians tactics were spot on for this first session.   Maybe this first test will be done and dusted by Monday.

It's not that loud when the bowler's coming in. If Erasmus didn't hear that then there's no hope for him.

Duty281

No name Bertie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 16 Jun - 14:28

First maiden bowled in the 37th over!

Hazlewood has bowed well.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 16 Jun - 14:29

Wow, that's an absolute freak dismissal. I've seen it all now (apart from a tied test).

Means Head's drop doesn't cost too much. Aussies back in front just as England looked to be reasserting control.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 16 Jun - 14:30

So unlucky. Australia back in the driving seat.

England still in the bracket of fluent but lacking a big partnership.

A leftie for Lyon to bowl at as well.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 16 Jun - 14:31

Argh - 175-4 with Brook freakily out.
Needs someone to put together a proper innings to take this up to a par score.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 16 Jun - 14:36

That's just rubbish from Stokes. Nothing shot. And why's he reviewing? Even Erasmus heard it!

Worrying times for England. Just Root and Bairstow left, then the tail.

Duty281

guildfordbat and Galted like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 16 Jun - 14:39

From regaining control to under big pressure in a matter of minutes.

A highest partnership of 70 on this wicket thus far.

A lot now rests on Root and Bairstow.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 16 Jun - 14:43

king_carlos wrote:From regaining control to under big pressure in a matter of minutes.

A highest partnership of 70 on this wicket thus far.

A lot now rests on Root and Bairstow.

Oh yes! Sir Geoffrey strikes as England go from a healthy 175/3 to a sickly 176/5.

guildfordbat

VTR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 16 Jun - 15:02

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Boland gets Crawley on the stroke of lunch with one that rises and catches the glove - not sure it's quite as docile as folk are making out, we've seen a couple shoot through to the keeper and that one rose

There definitely is a bit more in this wicket than was being initially made - but nonetheless the Aussies are on top here, still really going to need 350+ to be in the game, 400 par I would say. Such a shame for Brook to get out like that just as he got going!

Huge partnership here. Root goes to 50 clap
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 16 Jun - 15:35

A very necessary 50 partnership for England calms things down. Aussies still in the ascendency though.

I think there is a bit more irregular bounce and carry than I first thought, Olly. You were right there. I do worry whether the Aussies being taller and quicker is getting more of that though. It will be very interesting to see whether England get the same. Robinson has the highest release across both sides but is slower.

Then again it's not forecast to be sunny all day on Saturday and Sunday so maybe more movement in the air.

C'mon Joe. Be greedy.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 16 Jun - 15:45

Very vital partnership, this. Bairstow looking a bit scratchy early on, and still far from fluent, but he's there and scoring, with Root just being Root at the other end and ticking along (DRS saving him from another umpiring error).

What England haven't had yet is someone to kick on to a properly big score, and it'll have to be one of these two after tea to do so in order to get England to 400+. But that tail does look pretty long. One early wicket and England might not make 300.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 16 Jun - 15:51

Maybe I'm just being overly optimistic but I could see Mo swatting a few on this track. Bouncers have looked fairly tame and that's Mo's big weakness. Lyon has largely bowled well but Mo is a really good hitter of spin.

We need a fair bit more from these two first though. They bat so well in partnership, especially running between the wickets. The combination of both being quick and knowing each other so well.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 16 Jun - 15:51

Another fascinating session...looked like England were going to dominate and then that freakish Brook dismissal changed it all around...

Believe it or not , the exact same thing happened to me (January 1991 and I've never forgotten it !) : ball ballooned up off the pad , I'm looking around on the wrong side , not a clue where it's gone ...and then the rattle of bails and all the close fielders p.ssing themselves laughing...funny old game , eh ?

Brook dead unlucky but Stokes innings was horrible...why the rush ? Have a look at a few , please , skipper !

Agree with Olly there is more for the bowlers in this track than was being claimed early on. Still good for batting though so need some serious batting from here on. Nothing wrong with the scoring rate but you've only got ten wickets chaps...

alfie

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 16 Jun - 15:52

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:

There definitely is a bit more in this wicket than was being initially made - but nonetheless the Aussies are on top here, still really going to need 350+ to be in the game, 400 par I would say. Such a shame for Brook to get out like that just as he got going!

Huge partnership here. Root goes to 50 clap

Brook was certainly unlucky. If Carey hadn't lost flight of the ball, he would have caught it instead of it spinning back onto the stumps. The ''catch'' would have been turned down either straightaway or on review as the ball didn't touch Brook's bat or glove.

guildfordbat

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 16 Jun - 15:55

Bairstow does still look quick running between the wickets, which is good. I thought his injury may have stunted that part of his game.

Brook was certainly unlucky, but must be remembered he was on his second life after Head spilled one he should have got.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 16 Jun - 15:59

alfie wrote:Another fascinating session...looked like England were going to dominate and then that freakish Brook dismissal changed it all around...

Believe it or not , the exact same thing happened to me (January 1991 and I've never forgotten it !) : ball ballooned up off the pad , I'm looking around on the wrong side , not a clue where it's gone ...and then the rattle of bails  and all the close fielders p.ssing themselves laughing...funny old game , eh ?

Brook dead unlucky but Stokes innings was horrible...why the rush ? Have a look at a few , please , skipper !

Agree with Olly there is more for the bowlers in this track than was being claimed early on. Still good for batting though so need some serious batting from here on. Nothing wrong with the scoring rate but you've only got ten wickets chaps...

Mrs Bat goes nuts that I remember important things like this along with the date whilst we search for where I've put the house keys. Rolling Eyes

guildfordbat

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 16 Jun - 16:00

And a real pity as Brook looked to be on for another big one - although he did profit from one slice of luck when Head couldn't quite hold on diving at point.

It was probably the shock of Hazlewood actually bowling a maiden just before that caused the world to spin Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 16 Jun - 16:10

The Root scoop for six!

Past 250 now...still a way to go for these two hopefully
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

king_carlos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 16 Jun - 16:27

Interesting to hear about the heavy fines meted out in the WTC final because of slow over-rates.

Bairstow gets to 50. How great that must feel for him after suffering that injury. The recovery was more than worth it. But the job's not even half done.

273/5. Score should be over 400 at stumps IF England bat through the evening.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 16 Jun - 16:28

50 for Bairstow. Really good knock under pressure.

And he immediately pushes on with back to back boundaries.

It could've all unravelled very quickly when he came to the wicket but he's getting better the longer he's out there.

As the Aussie bowlers tire in the now customary long 3rd session there will be scoring chances if these two can just keep ticking.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 16 Jun - 16:34

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:The Root scoop for six!

Past 250 now...still a way to go for these two hopefully

Love the scoop...good to see that particular box ticked. Probably more important now that this pair have managed the hundred stand clap

Much needed. But hopefully more to come.

Think we can say anyway that no need to worry about Jonny's fitness after recovering from that dreadful injury : still scampers those twos like a greyhound !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 16 Jun - 16:35

Just can't beat watching Bairstow in full flow

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 16 Jun - 16:38

100 partnership. It's what England needed but they could go so much further now. 20 overs until the second new ball. Bowlers will start tiring. Set batters who score quickly.

C'mon gents. Stay greedy.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 16 Jun - 16:39

A poor drop from Carey - got there easily, good height...Bairstow reprieved
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Fri 16 Jun - 16:40

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:A poor drop from Carey - got there easily, good height...Bairstow reprieved

Looked like he got there too early, seemed to hit the thumb rather than the palm.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 16 Jun - 16:41

Carey spills one off Bairstow. Think his movement made it look a tougher chance than it was. Bairstow following it up with another boundary to frustrate Australia (and Ponting!) further.

I know this is just the first innings, but if Bairstow can replicate last summer then England's chances of winning the series receive a huge boost.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 16 Jun - 16:42

Yep, poor to no footwork from Carey. They are leaving a big gap between keeper and basically 1.5 slip but still should be making that easier for himself.

Bairstow clearly looking to put the foot down.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next