The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The end of Schofield / The coronation of Ansari!!!

+2
jbd349
MuchHappierSurreyFan
6 posters

Go down

The end of Schofield / The coronation of Ansari!!! Empty The end of Schofield / The coronation of Ansari!!!

Post by MuchHappierSurreyFan Tue 14 Jun 2011, 12:59 pm

Managed to watch the game on Sky yesterday and a much needed win, Well done boys.
Top four go through and to me there are 5 teams in our div who will be all expect to qualify, which should make for good viewing, five into four just does not go.(Hampshire,Somerset,Sussex,Essex,Surrey)

Anyway back to last nights game. I was very impressed with young Ansari. I had heard about him but never seen him before. Now it is no secret that I have been begging Surrey not to play Schfield in the four day game for years now as he cant take wickets. I am happy to admit that sometimes he was useful to have about in the one day format, though I still did not rate him as high as others in this form of the game but taking into account his age and the fact he is not up to standard imo, Ansari should replace him in the squad straight away.

The one thing I liked about the kid was when he was bowling it just looked like the batsman were struggling to get him away, I was never worried that he may go for 15 off an over. When I watch Schofield bowl I always feel that the batsman could take a big over off him if they wanted and that a boundry is never to far away. (plus I still think alot of his one day wickets are caught in the deep on the boundry rope)

Has anyone seen him play at all in the seconds? does he turn the ball alot?? We could do with a good spinner for our four day team.

MuchHappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

The end of Schofield / The coronation of Ansari!!! Empty Re: The end of Schofield / The coronation of Ansari!!!

Post by jbd349 Tue 14 Jun 2011, 3:08 pm

We could even play both of them in the CB40 and drop Batty, which would be my preference.

jbd349

Back to top Go down

The end of Schofield / The coronation of Ansari!!! Empty Re: The end of Schofield / The coronation of Ansari!!!

Post by Carrotdude Tue 14 Jun 2011, 8:39 pm

From what I saw yesterday, he doesn't look like he'll be a big spinner of the ball, more of a one day bowler than a 4 day one. That said, I don't know what his figures have been like in the 2nd 11 championship this season. I agree that he could/should replace Schofield and/or Spriegel, especially in T20, he has a lot of ability and potential and it gives him a great chance to develop and improve. I'd want him batting at 7/8 and being our 4th bowler behind Nannes, Arafat, Dernbach with a combo of de Bruyn and Spriegel being the 5th. That would make our T20 side:

RHB
Davies
Roy
Maynard
De Bruyn
?
Spreigel
Ansari
Arafat
Nannes
Dernbach

We need a batsman at number 6 but I really don't know who to suggest, Lancefield hasn't done enough in the 2nds and seems out of favour but surely would be better than Wilson. Harinath has been in good form but is never a T20 style player. There must be someone else in the ranks!

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by MuchHappierSurreyFan Wed 15 Jun 2011, 7:40 am

Carrot

Obviously KP can play there when available. We do have a a decent youngster by the name of Ramprakash who could fill the gap.
I would go for Lancefield, A young batsman who needs a chance, very strong lad who may suit T20, averaged over 20 in the comp last season and I noticed he got a century for the seconds the other week.

MuchHappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 15 Jun 2011, 10:09 pm

Depressed - a contribution specially for you on the limericks thread!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by thestags Thu 16 Jun 2011, 9:13 pm

I disagree with harinath not being a t20 style player, I think that he has been pigeon holed as a just a 4 day batter, however this year he looks to be far more positive esp in a knock of 70 off fewer balls against essex in a 2s 40 over game at chelmsford. Maybe it could be the best way to get harinath to balance attack and defence and help his development as a player?

I think that we should be giving our youngsters more of an opportunity as Ansari showed they do have the potential and class to perform at the top level and isn't this a perfect time with Wilson struggling for runs to give them the opportunity batting at 6 around some more experienced players?
I would like to see Lancefield, Harinath or Burns fill that void at 6 personally

thestags

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 16 Jun 2011, 10:01 pm

Welcome to the site Stags. In part what we are seeing is the consequence of the opportunistic signing of Maynard. Overall, Maynard is doing fairly well - but as he's tied down a place it has limited opportunities for the younger players you mention.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 16 Jun 2011, 10:19 pm

Corporal - just made a very similar point on the seconds' thread before seeing your post immediately above.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Fri 17 Jun 2011, 10:05 am

I agree with the general consensus about Lancefield. Stick him at 6 and see how he does, if he fails over a few games put Harinath in. They can't do worse than Wilson! I think it's fair to say Ramps isn't playing in this tournament, and possibly not in CB40 either. I would guess they think it's not worth him injuring his knee again with diving around and quick singles and the like.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down