The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diddy Cup Semi: Llanelli Scarlet O'Hara's V Glasgow Warriors

+5
TJ
BigGee
TAFKA The Oracle
Oakdene
jimbopip
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Diddy Cup Semi: Llanelli Scarlet O'Hara's V Glasgow Warriors Empty Diddy Cup Semi: Llanelli Scarlet O'Hara's V Glasgow Warriors

Post by jimbopip Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:17 am

The small boy inside me just loves putting the words "diddy and Semi" in the same sentence Whistle
The old man that I am loves hearing Stacey say , "Gav , it's not the BIG cup is it? That's not my big cup?"

Anyhow, it's a european competition and it is the semi-final. Someone's fans will be one step closer to glory and someone's will be crying in their Brains/Tennants delete as applicable.
Scarlets have home advantage and they get to play on the green green grass of home rather than be tortured by the biohazard wasteland that Glasgow are unbeaten on this season.

I shall allow our Welsh cousins to fill us in on the Scarlets likely line up; hopefully Fifita will have a day off as he is a real threat and a classic south sea island second row in the Nakarawa mould.

A couple of weeks ago I posted the side I thought might feature in this match for Glasgow;

I'll have a stab at mine; Shocked

Bhatti-Turner-Ragnar Berghan-Mattews-McBeth

Gray-Cummings Groot-Squaddie

Fagerson-Dempsey-Darge Big Shona

Hornito House Elf (post Lions malaise for Aldi Sad)

Miotti Jordan

Wee Shona
Shug

Seaman-Smith-Seba

All fit and firing that's the side that would start against Scarlets for me. With the General there is no point looking beyond the next battle.

chin chin chin

In the backs Shug' House Elf, Forbes and Seba are very doubtful. Wee Shona is also carrying a knock.
In the pack both Gray and Cummings took knocks against the Craggies.
There has been no medical updates from Scotstoun as yet.

One thing that has stood out like a Hassidic Jew at a Jeremy Corbyn rally is that Tom Jordan doesn't cope to well with a blitz defence. He has a tendency to try to run through trouble, great if he breaks the line, and this often leads to him being stopped at the gain line and our attacks losing momentum. Both Scarlets and Connacht put Glasgow under a lot of pressure here. Miotti takes the ball deeper and has a better kicking game which can take the sting out of a rush defence. However, Miotti hasn't really convinced as our starting 10. Sadly, Meatball hasn't forced himself into the reckoning and Ross Thompson has had to sit out the season through injury. I think Miotti will start. Or Jordan. Headscratch

If Shug is injured then the problem isn't who plays at 13: Lord Stafford is having a great season, or Wee Shona goes to 13 and Sam Johnson starts at 12. No, the problem is more about which pairing is the better balanced. Arguably Johnson-McDowall have played as a unit more often and could be trusted to put in a performance. I think Johnson-Shona

The back three is a nightmare. The General has been losing wingers faster than Sunak loses Cabinet Ministers. I believe Ollie Smith and Seaman are fit and that's it. Shocked
Seba was supposed to be "about a week away from playing" a fortnight ago. If he is fit to play is he match fit?
I think Smith was rested against the Scarlets in order to see how Shug coped at 15 in case Smith had to play on the wing this weekend. Unfortunately the weather meant Shug never touched the ball so he played 15 against The Craggies....and got crocked. picard So Smith hasn't played in three weeks now.
So, if Seba isn't fit and Smith goes to wing then it's most likely Lord Stafford or Miotti at 15 with Seaman and Smith on the wings.

As for the pack....if Gray and Cummings are injured then we really are Friar Tucked.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Diddy Cup Semi: Llanelli Scarlet O'Hara's V Glasgow Warriors Empty Re: Diddy Cup Semi: Llanelli Scarlet O'Hara's V Glasgow Warriors

Post by Oakdene Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:57 am

Really looking forward to this, looking at the stadium plan ticket sales are going well so should be a great atomsphere.

Kalamafoni is a huge loss for us, he has been immense for us & I am a bit sad that he won't get a playing farewell at PYS. Obviously Louisi & Fifita have been beyond this season, but I am a bit worried that we may be a little light in the scrum.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Diddy Cup Semi: Llanelli Scarlet O'Hara's V Glasgow Warriors Empty Re: Diddy Cup Semi: Llanelli Scarlet O'Hara's V Glasgow Warriors

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:40 pm

Really looking forward to this one.

I've read that Glasgow only sold 100 of their ticket allocation. Does that mean the rest went back to the home side for sale? If so the atmosphere might be a bit more one sided than it could have been! After seeing so many disappointing crowds across Wales the last few seasons it would be great to see Parc y Scarlets filled.

It's a cup match and knockout rugby so who knows how it will go. However, I'm siding towards the Scarlets based on a) unashamed one-eyed Welsh bias, b) Scarlets playing at home, c) the crowd factor (linked to b I guess), d) Scarlets losing to Glasgow recently by a small margin so owing them one in return, e) potentially the last games at the Scarlets for a number of players moving on or out of contract, so one last hurrah perhaps, f) Scarlets have nothing else to play for and 5 months without rugby if they don't win this.

Based on the above it will probably be a comfortable Glasgow win! king

TAFKA The Oracle

jimbopip and RiscaGame like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:05 am

Looks like Glasgow's back three options are all in training and raring to go.
Just fingers crossed for Shug, Shona and Big Richie.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:30 am

Teams due out at midday, really looking forward to this. I'll be honest we have done well to get to the semi finals of this competition when you think of the start to the URC we had & our injury list was insane at parts of the season.

I am gutted that you guys won't be bringing loads of fans down but it's very understandable.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:03 am

Oakdene wrote:Teams due out at midday, really looking forward to this. Me too I'll be honest we have done well to get to the semi finals of this competition when you think of the start to the URC Same here but to a slightly lesser extent.we had & our injury list was insane at parts of the season.

I am gutted that you guys won't be bringing loads of fans down but it's very understandable.

On that last note....Bigson is joining the property owning class today and I have been pressganged into lugging boxes and furniture over the next two days. Apparently swanning off to Llanelli was a no-no. censored

Still it'll be all over by tomorrow afternoon and there'll be something cooling in the fridge.

jimbopip

Oakdene likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:53 am

No Huw Jones?

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:53 am

Glasgow Warriors team to face the Scarlets at Parc y Scarlets, Saturday 29 April, kick-off 5.30pm. You can follow the match in our Live Match Centre at glasgowwarriors.org, or watch the match live on S4C and BT Sport.

1 Jamie Bhatti (86)
2 George Turner (90)
3 Zander Fagerson (125)
4 Scott Cummings (103)
5 Richie Gray (99)
6 Rory Darge (29)
7 Sione Vailanu (17)
8 Jack Dempsey (36)

9 George Horne (96)
10 Tom Jordan (22)
11 Kyle Steyn (C) (62)
12 Stafford McDowall (54)
13 Sione Tuipulotu (33)
14 Sebastian Cancelliere (22)
15 Ollie Smith (30)

Replacements

16 Johnny Matthews (47)
17 Nathan McBeth (21)
18 Simon Berghan (30)
19 JP du Preez (22)
20 Lewis Bean (37)
21 Matt Fagerson (92)
22 Ali Price (127)
23 Duncan Weir (132)

Unavailable for selection: Facundo Cordero (hamstring), Cole Forbes (hamstring), Jamie Dobie (knee), Sintu Manjezi (knee), Jack Mann (head), Josh McKay (foot), Cameron Neild (calf), Ross Thompson (foot).

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:57 am

Team's up
Headline news!!!
No Shug so Lord Stafford of Mcdowall is 12 and wee Shona is 13.
Seba is back!!!
Seaman-Smith-Seba back three!
No sign of the lesser spotted Miotti: Meatball is on the bench.

Bhatti
Turner
Ragnar
Cummings
Gray
Darge
Dempsey
Big Shona
Hornito
Jordan
Seba
Stafford
Wee Shona
Seaman
Smith.
Subs to come.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:59 am

Huw Jones went off with a head knock last weekend, so I would imagine is on return to play protocol. Despite the fact that he is not listed as unavailable, I think that he is.

All in all it is a pretty good team though. Getting Cancelliere back just when we most needed him is a huge bonus and leaves us pretty strong across the board.

Probably Jones is the only one definite starter missing.

You could argue the toss about Horne over Price or Fagerson in the back row but none of those calls really leaves us any weaker and just adds to our bench.

Still it is going to be a really tough game down there and it will be really hard to call.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:59 am

15 Johnny McNicholl; 14 Steff Evans, 13 Joe Roberts, 12 Johnny Williams, 11 Ryan Conbeer; 10 Sam Costelow 9 Gareth Davies; 1 Wyn Jones, 2 Ken Owens, 3 Javan Sebastian, 4 Morgan Jones, 5 Sam Lousi, 6 Josh Macleod (capt), 7 Dan Davis, 8 Vaea Fifita.

Replacements: 16 Shaun Evans, 17 Kemsley Mathias, 18 Sam Wainwright, 19 Carwyn Tuipulotu, 20 Iestyn Rees, 21 Kieran Hardy, 22 Dan Jones, 23 Ioan Nicholas.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:02 pm

Interesting that Shug isn't listed as injured.
Maybe Stafford to truck first phase ball into the (blatantly offside) blitz and Shone acting as first receiver on quick ball?
I've got a feeling that Meatball may have a say in the final outcome.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:02 pm

Oakdene wrote:15 Johnny McNicholl; 14 Steff Evans, 13 Joe Roberts, 12 Johnny Williams, 11 Ryan Conbeer; 10 Sam Costelow 9 Gareth Davies; 1 Wyn Jones, 2 Ken Owens, 3 Javan Sebastian, 4 Morgan Jones, 5 Sam Lousi, 6 Josh Macleod (capt), 7 Dan Davis, 8 Vaea Fifita.

Replacements: 16 Shaun Evans, 17 Kemsley Mathias, 18 Sam Wainwright, 19 Carwyn Tuipulotu, 20 Iestyn Rees, 21 Kieran Hardy, 22 Dan Jones, 23 Ioan Nicholas.

What is your feeling on that team Oakdene?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:04 pm

BigGee wrote:
Oakdene wrote:15 Johnny McNicholl; 14 Steff Evans, 13 Joe Roberts, 12 Johnny Williams, 11 Ryan Conbeer; 10 Sam Costelow 9 Gareth Davies; 1 Wyn Jones, 2 Ken Owens, 3 Javan Sebastian, 4 Morgan Jones, 5 Sam Lousi, 6 Josh Macleod (capt), 7 Dan Davis, 8 Vaea Fifita.

Wyn is due a big game, really needs it. Surprised but excited to see Fiifita at 8, he usually packs down at 6 with Josh at 8. Backs have picked themselves really. Good strong team on paper. I think we will look to run a lot of ball.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:06 pm

jimbopip wrote:Interesting that Shug isn't listed as injured.
Maybe Stafford to truck first phase ball into the (blatantly offside) blitz and Shone acting as first receiver on quick ball?
I've got a feeling that Meatball may have a say in the final outcome.

The Glasgow Comms on injured players is not always very good or accurate.

Cordero's hamstring looked in reasonable shape when he played for the A team last weekend for example.

I don't think there is to much wrong with Shuggie, he looked in good form at the payers dinner this week, he will likely be back next week for the Munster game.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:07 pm

Oakdene wrote:
BigGee wrote:

Wyn is due a big game, really needs it. Surprised but excited to see Fiifita at 8, he usually packs down at 6 with Josh at 8. Backs have picked themselves really. Good strong team on paper. I think we will look to run a lot of ball.

Halfpenny injured, or just not picked?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:10 pm

BigGee wrote:
Oakdene wrote:
BigGee wrote:

Halfpenny injured, or just not picked?

Not selected by the look of it, he's not in the injured players list.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:52 pm

Richie Gray out of the Glasgow team in the warm up.

JP into the row in his place and Ryan Wilson comes on to the bench.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:57 pm

That's a big loss. Mind you, Groot has been in the last six or seven match day 23's so the General rates him. Interesting that Batman is brought in which means Squaddie is the only second row replacement but Matt F and Batman are there for the back row.
I can see Hornito ending up on the wing and Matt Fagerson at 12. Rolling Eyes

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:33 pm

What a start from Glasgow

Lord Stafford goes over

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:35 pm

Horne kicks the conversion

7-0 Glasgow

Javen Sebestain looks in trouble as well

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:39 pm

Johnny Williams out cold as well after a tackle on Sione, unfortunate but got his head on the wrong side

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:53 pm

Glasgow need to chip over the top to negate the blitz

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:59 pm

Momentum has ebbed back towards Scarlets and they win a kickable pen

7-3 Glasgow

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:03 pm

Another kick to goal for Scarlets

7-6 Glasgow

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:05 pm

The ball is slipping around all over the place, not helped by some crazy Glasgow passing. We are seriously putting ourselves in trouble

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:06 pm

7-3
Jordan needs a kicking game. He reminds me of the Glasgow band James King and The Lone Wolves: I asked Tom The Guitar why they never really made it big(ger). "The things is they open with a medium fast number which is really good and then follow it with a medium fast number. Then five or six medium fast songs."
Tom Jordan the medium fast number 10.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:09 pm

Glasgow lineout malfunctions and Glasgow score in the corner, the game definitely going their way atm

Conversion missed

11-7 Scarlets

Glasgow need to get their act together now, they are at sixes and sevens

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:12 pm

Great to see a decent crowd in Wales!

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:12 pm

Another bad looking injury to the Scarlets second row, he is concussed as well but nothing wrong with the carry

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:14 pm

BigGee wrote:Another bad looking injury to the Scarlets second row, he is concussed as well but nothing wrong with the carry

That kids is what happens when you tackle with your face.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:20 pm

Another Scarlets penalty to finish the half

14-7 Scarlets at HT

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:32 pm

You do wonder if Glasgow really do understand how to play knock out rugby. We are not going to win this game trying to run every ball out of our own half. I worry that the complete lack of tactical kicking ability is going to come back to haunt us, not just in this game but next week against Munster as well, who totally get how to win these games

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:40 pm

Well Glasgow start the second half just like the first and Horne scores but there is a head shot way back on Darge

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:42 pm

Try and YC to Scarlets. A bit lucky there, have seen reds given for less!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:43 pm

Horne kicks the conversion

14 all

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:46 pm

Glasgow give a pen straight back and Scarlets have another shot

Over it goes 17-14 Scarlets

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:51 pm

At loast we get a maul going and Johnny the Scouser goes over as per usual

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:52 pm

Horne keeps up his perfect kicking

21-17 Glasgow

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:52 pm

The scarlets have too much of a soft underbelly. Need to get tougher in the tight. They seem to want to play a game of ‘we’ll try to score more than you’ but I think that might backfire here.

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:53 pm

BigGee wrote:You do wonder if Glasgow really do understand how to play knock out rugby. We are not going to win this game trying to run every ball out of our own half. I worry that the complete lack of tactical kicking ability is going to come back to haunt us, not just in this game but next week against Munster as well, who totally get how to win these games

I don't think its lack of ability. I think its tactical and in general I agree it the right tactic

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:58 pm

Darge scores under the posts

The power of the Glasgow pack taking the game by the scruff at the moment

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:59 pm

Horne kicks again and go 28-17 up

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:00 pm

Glasgow have been much better today, obviously!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:12 pm

This is going to be a YC

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:13 pm

He was lucky there

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:13 pm

How is that nothing?! Bullsh*t decision.

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:14 pm

Not even a penalty?!!!

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:16 pm

Incredible defence from Glasgow

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:21 pm

The faces in the Scarlets crowd have changed

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next