The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow Warriors V Munster It's a quarter past being a friendly.

+9
RDW
demosthenes
Pot Hale
Tramptastic
bsando
Hazel Sapling
BigGee
Boston Exile
jimbopip
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Glasgow Warriors V Munster It's a quarter past being a friendly. Empty Glasgow Warriors V Munster It's a quarter past being a friendly.

Post by jimbopip Mon 01 May 2023, 1:49 pm

Well, we're at the sticky end of the season and the lightweights are all abed by now. Yes Edinburgh Luvvies we are looking at you.
This tie brings Munster to Scotstoun; previous matches at Scotstoun between these two have provided two of my favourite games: Glasgow put 50 odd on Munster on my first visit to the stadium, and the Rob Harley inspired semi which was the single most intense club match I have ever attended. Will Saturday live up to either of those?

First things first; we underestimate Munster at our peril. There are givens in life; rain is wet, beer is good, good blues guitar makes you happy and Munster are an awkward nasty aggressive pain in the erse every single time. The club motto should be POM's greeting of Sam Cane,  "Who do you think you are? You're just a shoite Richie McCaw."

Can you imagine being trapped in a lift with POM and Batman? steam  boxing  Glasgow Warriors V Munster It's a quarter past being a friendly. 1347041234

Saturday promises to be a stand up knock down battle from minute one. I wish I was going.

So, Munster will field XV angry red faced fellas with a sense of grievance that goes way back beyond the last ice age. Hopefully some of our Irish posters will give us a slightly more nuanced analysis of their likely line up. Wink

As for Glasgow? Well, I remember driving across to Baarf and being slightly disappointed that I had shelled out a fair few weeks pocket money taking my boys to watch Glasgow reserves get spanked. That was before we realised that the General is a man with a plan. I'll have a stab at naming my side but it'll probably bear no resemblance to the 23 that are named on Friday. The General either rests some players because we may have the URC semi the following week, and the Diddy Cup final the next week,  OR he goes full out because if we lose this we have no semi next week and if that's what we want we could just as well merge with Edinburgh.

Obvious First XV

Bhatti-Turner-Ragnar
Gray-Cummings
Big Shona-Dempsey- Darge
Hornito
Jordan
Seaman
Wee Shona
Shug
Seba
Smith

Rotating XV

McBeth-Matthews-Berghan
Groot-Squaddie
Big Man Jessie-Batman-Mullet
Aldi Price
Forbes
Meatball
Johnson
Stafford
House Elf
Lesser Spotted Miotti

For the Rotation XV I have highlighted the players who could genuinely be upset if they were not in the First XV.  The rest of them could be in the 23.

Only The General knows what it'll be on Saturday, and he's probably had the team sheet in a drawer for five or six weeks now. Shocked

It should be a cracking game. Munster could do it. Glasgow are on a great run. I can hear POM in the dressing room before kick off, "Lads! They're unbeaten at home this season....Who the fecc do they think they are?"

Can't wait. Glasgow Warriors V Munster It's a quarter past being a friendly. 1347041234

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors V Munster It's a quarter past being a friendly. Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors V Munster It's a quarter past being a friendly.

Post by Boston Exile Mon 01 May 2023, 2:10 pm

This one concerns me more than going to West Wales, always felt we'd win there.  With Munster we should win but they are a bit of a wild card.  Most games recently they've not been as strong as expected, then they perform well in SA.  Which Munster will show up.  Must show total respect and avoid the cavalier rugby we saw in the 2nd quarter in Llanelli, play as we did in the 2nd half and we should progress.

Boston Exile

jimbopip likes this post

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors V Munster It's a quarter past being a friendly. Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors V Munster It's a quarter past being a friendly.

Post by BigGee Mon 01 May 2023, 2:56 pm

Trying to end the season playing knockout rugby on two fronts is daunting beyond recogntion for this group of players, it is normally only the preserves of the Leinsters and La Rochelle's of this world.

Can Glasgow retain their focus on this game, knowing that it will lead to an even harder one next weekend and the first of three possible consecutive trips to Dublin in three weekends.

I think he probably has to rotate a bit for this game. Some positions fairly easily, Price for Horne, Fagerson M for Vialanu for instance, but what do we do about TH prop?

So maybe something like this:

McBeth
Mathews
Bergan
Gray R
Cummings
Fagerson M
Darge
Dempsey
Price
Jordan
Cancilliere
Tuipolotu
Jones
Steyn
Smith

Subs

Dell
Brown
Fagerson Z
Du Preez
Bean
Gordon
Horne
Johnson

A bit of cavalry on the bench should they be required!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 01 May 2023, 3:04 pm

I see what you are trying to do BG...but I would probably not rotate the entire front row and drop Bhatti entirely. It is Munster after all, lose and there is no next week to come back to. I would rather get 20 ahead and sub early.

Matthews as starter I would not be averse to though. Vailanu making way for M Fagerson would make sense considering Vailanu's workload recently. We need a spare 10 on the bench or POM will "accidentally" injure the starter early doors.

I would be tempted to bring Walker in for Berghan. Berghan has really not impressed the last couple of seasons and this is the type of game for Walker to get involved in considering he may be competing for the RWC squad.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 01 May 2023, 3:07 pm

The General always/usually has a 9 & 10 on the bench, Gee. An injury to Jordan would cause us no end of trouble. Which is where we really miss Richie V.

jimbopip

TJ and Hazel Sapling like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 01 May 2023, 3:49 pm

Yes, I think you are both right on the FH situation, I managed to overlook that.

Am not sure he is that sold on Walker though nor that a gentle run out against Munster is the game to re-introduce him in!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 02 May 2023, 12:37 pm

On McDowall, what a season he has had. I hope he can play a key part in some of the final matches. Seeing him at CT stadium against Ayrshire bulls last year I was shocked at how big he was and how, up until this season, he hasn’t made more of an influence.

The Smith gameplan really works well for him. He goes about his game much like De Allande does for SA and they’re pretty much like for like in height and weight. He has a lot more to give I would say, exciting seasons ahead for Glasgow fans.

bsando

Tramptastic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Tue 02 May 2023, 2:30 pm

I like McDowall, he had a lot of early promise but it all seemed to come off the rails a bit at the tail end of Rennie's tenure and Wilson didn't seem keen.

Post-world cup he could be a really useful player for Scotland in the same way Dunbar was.

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue 02 May 2023, 3:17 pm

Munster are apparently planning to rest all their first teasers to prepare them for the semi-final against one of the big teams, according to their spokesperson.

Make sense to me.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Tue 02 May 2023, 5:19 pm

Pot Hale wrote:Munster are apparently planning to rest all their first teasers to prepare them for the semi-final against one of the big teams, according to their spokesperson.

Make sense to me.

Says it all!

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed 03 May 2023, 6:20 pm

demosthenes wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:Munster are apparently planning to rest all their first teasers to prepare them for the semi-final against one of the big teams, according to their spokesperson.

Make sense to me.

Says it all!

It certainly does. Lol

Snyman and Beirne are likely to be amongst the other academy/third rank players for the weekend. Keith Earls is out with injury and may have already played his last game for Munster as his IRFU contract only runs until end of RWC.

Should be easy enough for Glasgow.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

BigGee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 04 May 2023, 8:52 am

Pot Hale warning raspberry No you don't fella. we're the underdogs here. Easy win for Munster. 29 points easily. We're doomed. Doomed ah say.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 05 May 2023, 11:25 am

Teams should be up soon, here's my wish list;

Bhatti - Matthews-Ragnar McBeth-Turner-Berghan
Richie-Cummings Groot-Squaddie
Matt F-Dempsey-Big Shona Darge
Hornito Aldi Price
Jordan Meatball, I think the Lesser Spotted Miotti is not robust enough for this match
Seba
Wee Shona
Shug
Seaman
Smith.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 05 May 2023, 11:59 am

Team's oot Shocked Shocked Shocked

Glasgow Warriors team to face Munster at Scotstoun, Saturday 6 May, kick-off 7.35pm. Tickets are still available at glasgowwarriors.org.

1 Jamie Bhatti (87)
2 Johnny Matthews (48)
3 Zander Fagerson (126)
4 Scott Cummings (104)
5 Richie Gray (99)
6 Matt Fagerson (93)
7 Rory Darge (30)
8 Jack Dempsey (37)

9 George Horne (97)
10 Tom Jordan (23)
11 Kyle Steyn (C) (63)
12 Stafford McDowall (55)
13 Sione Tuipulotu (34)
14 Sebastian Cancelliere (23)
15 Ollie Smith (31)

Replacements

16 Fraser Brown (139)
17 Nathan McBeth (21)
18 Simon Berghan (31)
19 JP du Preez (23)
20 Lewis Bean (38)
21 Sione Vailanu (18)
22 Ali Price (128)
23 Huw Jones (57)

Unavailable for selection: Facundo Cordero (hamstring), Cole Forbes (hamstring), Jamie Dobie (knee), Sintu Manjezi (knee), Jack Mann (head), Josh McKay (foot), Cameron Neild (calf), Ross Thompson (foot).

No back up 10.
Shug on the bench.
Starting young Darge against POM, with Big Shona to come on with a point to prove. Glasgow Warriors V Munster It's a quarter past being a friendly. 1347041234
If anything happens to Jordan Headscratch
Lord Stafford to 15, Wee Shona to 12 Shug at 13 and Smith to 10?
Or maybe Wee Shona to 10 and Shug at 13?

It's an attacking line up and as long as Jordan stays on his feet then it could be a winning selection.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 05 May 2023, 12:11 pm

What is it about Glasgow Warriors twitter that they can't automate releasing the team at 12 noon? Anyway...

Matthews deserves the start and Brown the bench. Turner has not been firing and having a week off is the best thing for him.

The lack of cover at 10 is concerning. I assume McDowall or Price will cover. As for the centres, Tuipulotu plays 12 with Huw and McDowall plays 13 with S Johnson and they swap when together Headscratch. I felt as a combination, they did not get the most out of Tuipulotu last week and would have rather stuck with one of the aforementioned combos. I am guessing it is hard to drop McDowall after getting two tries Whistle

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 05 May 2023, 12:14 pm

Munster: Mike Haley; Calvin Nash, Antoine Frisch, Malakai Fekitoa, Shane Daly; Jack Crowley, Conor Murray; Jeremy Loughman, Diarmuid Barron, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, RG Snyman; Tadhg Beirne, Peter O’Mahony (C), Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Niall Scannell, Josh Wycherley, Roman Salanoa, Fineen Wycherley, John Hodnett, Craig Casey, Ben Healy, Alex Kendellen.

Connor Murray must be nearly as old as me...and I went to school with Herod Of Antioch.
Beirne and Snyman back from injury. I hope it takes them about 78 minutes to get up to speed.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 05 May 2023, 12:29 pm

Gonna be a good game! Hope Glasgow can hit the ground running and be accurate. Good Munster side who will be a real pain for Glasgow.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 05 May 2023, 12:50 pm

Hmm, no FH replacement, that's a quirky one even by Franco's standards. In some ways a wasted sub in a Glasgow shirt, because he does not ever seem to change the FH anyway but still a bit of a risk in this game.

I see all the Irish pundits are already calling this game for Munster!

I though Glasgow might rotate a bit more than they have, but no and we do seem to be settling down into our best team for the last few games.

It has got the makings of a classic old bruising game this one and very hard to call.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 05 May 2023, 1:08 pm

Munster squad planning a few beers tonight to see which of Ulster or Connacht they’ll be playing next week.

Should be a late one. Public warning to residents near Thomond to park their cars indoors tonight. Could be lively.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 05 May 2023, 1:55 pm

Glasgow are already all abed, the coaches have doled out warm Horlicks and nembutal to make sure they don't have any nightmares or bedwetting. The night before being thrashed by Munster is always a worrying time.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 05 May 2023, 10:02 pm

Is Franco not exceeding the rules on games in a row for a nunber of players? My worry Glasgow will run out of steam shortly just when it matters!

Only time will tell if his decision to go near fully loaded on a meaningless Connacht game was the right one.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 05 May 2023, 10:15 pm

RDW wrote:Is Franco not exceeding the rules on games in a row for a nunber of players? My worry Glasgow will run out of steam shortly just when it matters!

Only time will tell if his decision to go near fully loaded on a meaningless Connacht game was the right one.

I don't think any of these rules are tablets of stone and you can't not play your best players in these games.

Fact is, due the rotation as the season has gone on, most of the Glasgow players have not been overplayed during season and players like Cummings, Darge, Jones and ZF have also had significant time off recovering from injury.

So far, you have got to say Franco appears to know what he is doing!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

RDW likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 06 May 2023, 9:46 am

jimbopip wrote:Team's oot Shocked Shocked Shocked

Glasgow Warriors team to face Munster at Scotstoun, Saturday 6 May, kick-off 7.35pm. Tickets are still available at glasgowwarriors.org.

1 Jamie Bhatti (87)
2 Johnny Matthews (48)
3 Zander Fagerson (126)
4 Scott Cummings (104)
5 Richie Gray (99)
6 Matt Fagerson (93)
7 Rory Darge (30)
8 Jack Dempsey (37)

9 George Horne (97)
10 Tom Jordan (23)
11 Kyle Steyn (C) (63)
12 Stafford McDowall (55)
13 Sione Tuipulotu (34)
14 Sebastian Cancelliere (23)
15 Ollie Smith (31)

Replacements

16 Fraser Brown (139)
17 Nathan McBeth (21)
18 Simon Berghan (31)
19 JP du Preez (23)
20 Lewis Bean (38)
21 Sione Vailanu (18)
22 Ali Price (128)
23 Huw Jones (57)

Unavailable for selection: Facundo Cordero (hamstring), Cole Forbes (hamstring), Jamie Dobie (knee), Sintu Manjezi (knee), Jack Mann (head), Josh McKay (foot), Cameron Neild (calf), Ross Thompson (foot).

No back up 10.
Shug on the bench.
Starting young Darge against POM, with Big Shona to come on with a point to prove. Glasgow Warriors V Munster It's a quarter past being a friendly. 1347041234
If anything happens to Jordan  Headscratch
Lord Stafford to 15, Wee Shona to 12 Shug at 13 and Smith to 10?
Or maybe Wee Shona to 10 and Shug at 13?

It's an attacking line up and as long as Jordan stays on his feet then it could be a winning selection.

The General spoke thus in today's Times;
Huw Jones, the Scotland star, is also a replacement, Stafford McDowall having retained his place in the centres on the back of a brilliant two-try showing against Scarlets. The 25-year-old, who is enjoying a campaign of personal renaissance, is also Glasgow’s back-up plan should misfortune befall the starting fly half, Tom Jordan. Smith said: “From the first day, I said Stafford has the ability to play there. Through the season we’ve often looked to use him there. He’s played as a fly half since he was 18-19.

Stafford hasn’t put a foot wrong. He scored two tries last weekend, he’s accurate, he’s been accurate the whole season.

Great to see that even this late in the season we still can't predict what is going to happen. Doh

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 06 May 2023, 4:45 pm

Best of luck tonight Warriors.

Still laughing about ROG referring to Kellock as "the penknife"...because he folds like one when tackled! laughing

...as if ROG knew how to tackle....

funnyExiledScot

BigGee and mikey_dragon like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 06 May 2023, 7:28 pm

This is always how I envisioned the Munster pack, big and powerful. Not sure about not having a genuine open-side but POM at 7 has worked for Munster many times.

Does Gavin Coombes have a Welsh parent ?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 06 May 2023, 7:43 pm

POM heading off, that's a massive blow for Munster

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 06 May 2023, 7:49 pm

Penalty under the post for Glasgow

They go for the corner again though!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 06 May 2023, 7:50 pm

Another penalty for Glasgow and a warning

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 06 May 2023, 8:02 pm

Goodness, Glasgow doing everything but scoring!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 06 May 2023, 8:02 pm

Munster defence is extraordinary!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 06 May 2023, 8:06 pm

Well somehow, massively against the run of play. Munster score

7-0 Munster

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 06 May 2023, 8:09 pm

This will be a red.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 06 May 2023, 8:10 pm

This is a card, just what colour?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 06 May 2023, 8:11 pm

It i8s a RC for Jordan, who has also done his hammy, which probably contributed to the way he tackled

Hard to argue with it

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 06 May 2023, 8:12 pm

Feels like it's unravelling a bit here for Glasgow, after such a bright start.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 06 May 2023, 8:13 pm

Munster then score again, this game is slipping away from Glasgow

It's a long way back now with 14 men

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat 06 May 2023, 8:24 pm

Just tuned in for the red card. Hard to see how Glasgow can win this one now. Hope they keep it tight but Munster in dreamland

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 06 May 2023, 8:29 pm

If I was a neutral I would say this is a cracking contest.
At the moment it feels rather like seeing your girlfriend walking arm and with your best friend and trying to find solace in saying, " But they make a lovely couple. "

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 06 May 2023, 8:31 pm

Well a bit of grit in defence from Glasgow just about gives us some hope.

It is a long long way back though and Franco is going to need to do his best HT talk ever to salvage this one.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat 06 May 2023, 8:32 pm

That was stellar defence to keep it 0 - 14

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 06 May 2023, 8:41 pm

Munster can’t buy luck.
Snyman off again.
POM off and Murray failed HIA.
Healy sitting on bench as SuperSpy. Which team is he going to?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 06 May 2023, 8:44 pm

Horne needs to work on those box kicks!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 06 May 2023, 8:46 pm

Bloody hell. Another Munster HIA.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 06 May 2023, 8:50 pm

Pot Hale wrote:Munster can’t buy luck.
Snyman off again.
Healy sitting on bench as SuperSpy.  Which team is he going to?  
What happened to Snyman?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 06 May 2023, 9:08 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:Munster can’t buy luck.
Snyman off again.
Healy sitting on bench as SuperSpy.  Which team is he going to?  
What happened to Snyman?

Someone sneezed.

I think.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 06 May 2023, 9:16 pm

Jez, another bad injury to a Munster player

If they win this game they will struggle to get a team out next week, none of these players will be back next week

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 06 May 2023, 9:18 pm

And another HIA for Nash.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 06 May 2023, 9:19 pm

BigGee wrote:Jez, another bad injury to a Munster player

If they win this game they will struggle to get a team out next week, none of these players will be back next week

Agreed. Not looking good for them.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 06 May 2023, 9:19 pm

Finally we get outside the Munster defence and Steyn scores in the corner

14-5 Munster

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 06 May 2023, 9:29 pm

Scannell looks exhausted and in pain.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next