The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saudi Arabia - Ruining a dying sport !!

5 posters

Go down

Saudi Arabia - Ruining a dying sport !! Empty Saudi Arabia - Ruining a dying sport !!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:45 am

Just read Jeff on the 606 thread writing that Badou v Canelo may be fighting in the Middle east and with the Heavyweight saga it is looking like a huge red flag.....Crawford, Haney next ???

Think perennial losers AJ v Wilder are getting in excess of 20 million each for fighting later in the year........One has lost twice to a current champion and realistically the other has lost three times to the other current champion....

Have no doubt Fury v Usyk collapsed because Fury wants Arabian money probably both did deep down and it was all games (Usyk has signed for skill challenge).....Let's face it if you can get more money fighting once a year (Apparently Saudi Arabia only have windows in which they can deliver) why fight regularly for the same money ??..

If Haney gets 10/15m in Saudi he will think that is the precedent....and he isn't worth that !!...Got 4 for Lomo and he is a big name.

We saw what a mess LIV made of golf although I see Rory and others have just been sold out so normality may resume....For me Saudi Arabia takes the game away from the fans and probably takes regular top boxing away for months on end...

It's not a good thing.....But it's hear to stay...

If Saudi are prepared to pay a couple of past it losers over 20m each what hope have we got ??........Golf can cope to a certain extent with more interruption.....With Jake Paul and other Jokers Boxing is already a laughingstock.

Bread and butter fans are leaving in droves.

TRUSSMAN66

No name Bertie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Saudi Arabia - Ruining a dying sport !! Empty Re: Saudi Arabia - Ruining a dying sport !!

Post by Soul Requiem Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:52 am

I'm surprised the Saudi's haven't pushed hard to get Haney fighting over there. An undisputed big name who just so happens to be a Muslim, seems like a marketing dream.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Saudi Arabia - Ruining a dying sport !! Empty Re: Saudi Arabia - Ruining a dying sport !!

Post by No name Bertie Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:17 pm

How about an alternative title: "Big Money - Ruining a Dying Sport?"

With globalization people might question whether the sport is "dying" if the "market" for boxing is expanding. However, from my own viewpoint - it does appear to be dying - and that view seems to be shared by many that post comments here and elsewhere. Inactivity, lack of characters, unwillingness to fight each other, too much noise about fights rather than signing contracts and getting it on.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:22 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:I'm surprised the Saudi's haven't pushed hard to get Haney fighting over there. An undisputed big name who just so happens to be a Muslim, seems like a marketing dream.
I think the Saudi's have more money than they know how to spend and they want to make statements to the global market. Hence less about religion and more about global marketing of Saudi Arabia.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:31 pm

Sport was ruined long before the Saudi's stepped in. They may be the only ones that have the money to get the really big fights happening now and sadly that'll be how it is for years now.

I know boxing isn't dead in the water globally but for me it's lost a hell of a lot of it's lustre, no more setting an alarm for must see fights or getting a load of mates round to watch it as it's just embarassing when the judges ruin it and it's getting harder and harder to defend.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:42 pm

Derbymanc wrote:Sport was ruined long before the Saudi's stepped in. They may be the only ones that have the money to get the really big fights happening now and sadly that'll be how it is for years now.

I know boxing isn't dead in the water globally but for me it's lost a hell of a lot of it's lustre, no more setting an alarm for must see fights or getting a load of mates round to watch it as it's just embarassing when the judges ruin it and it's getting harder and harder to defend.

The problems within boxing aren't anything new; judging has probably improved over the years. Social media and the internet in general makes everything more accessible so every minute detail is examined which it wasn't in years gone by. Anyone bemoaning todays judging should watch Raging Bull again; LaMotta got a world title shot he didn't deserve because he took a dive for the mob, that was widespread at the time.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:45 pm

Derbymanc wrote:Sport was ruined long before the Saudi's stepped in. They may be the only ones that have the money to get the really big fights happening now and sadly that'll be how it is for years now.

I agree but another problem is..

Boxing is a bit like Tennis.....Too many faceless Europeans fighting that don't sell.....For all its problems and they are plentiful thank goodness...Bivol...Beterbiev....Usyk....plus others don't sell...

£8 million purse bid for Usyk v Dubois.....joke...Whyte got 8 for Fury.

All this Saudi garbage may not hurt as much if there were names.....Crawford is still hardly known outside the sport....and he is a p4p great.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:12 pm

Haney is the pre-eminent Muslim name in boxing, only Beterbiev could rival him, and unfortunately, he has the Russian stink attached to him. I think $15 million a fight is probably going to be the lower end of what his offer will end up being from the Saudis.

Reality is PIF has unlimited pockets, and as golfers found out last week, turning down "early investor" or "early adopter" money on principled stances will probably only cost you money down the track once the Saudis have created the World Boxing League or whatever the Frak in a few years.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:11 pm

kingraf wrote:Haney is the pre-eminent Muslim name in boxing, only Beterbiev could rival him, and unfortunately, he has the Russian stink attached to him. I think $15 million a fight is probably going to be the lower end of what his offer will end up being from the Saudis.

Reality is PIF has unlimited pockets, and as golfers found out last week, turning down "early investor" or "early adopter" money on principled stances will probably only cost you money down the track once the Saudis have created the World Boxing League or whatever the Frak in a few years.
Beterbiev doesn't need Saudi money. World of Boxing offered Beterbiev $25m to fight Bivol, the offer was declined...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:14 pm

Anyway back on topic, boxing is the hurt business - so in theory if I(hypothetically) offered you $50m for one fight or you have a three fight deal where you earn $50m, then anyone remotely smart would take the one off fight for the big money.

Yes it sucks that the Saudis have blown the market apart, I have nothing against them, but their deep pockets are meaning fighters are sitting around for that one mega payday.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down