The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Under 20s Rugby World Cup

+14
Sgt_Pooly
formerly known as Sam
nlpnlp
Poorfour
Oakdene
Cumbrian
TAFKA The Oracle
thebandwagonsociety
Mcsweens
RiscaGame
mikey_dragon
the-goon2
Rugby Fan
Collapse2005
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Under 20s Rugby World Cup - Page 2 Empty Under 20s Rugby World Cup

Post by Collapse2005 Thu 29 Jun 2023, 4:13 pm

First topic message reminder :

https://www.world.rugby/tournaments/u20/championship

Live streams available at the above link

Last edited by Collapse2005 on Thu 29 Jun 2023, 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Under 20s Rugby World Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: Under 20s Rugby World Cup

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 09 Jul 2023, 8:03 pm

Poorfour wrote:France in control of the game now. I’d have liked the TMO to look at whether Carnduff was on the ball carrier as Chessum claimed, but that YC has been very costly for England

I think they were trying to argue that the French player wasn't fully bound as well. If the ref thought it was the same maul then both Carnduff at the back and whomever tackled it at the front were both open for the yellow card.

Shame as England looked much better than they had for most of the tournament. When France turned it on they were a bit good though.

Some real prospects that should come through over the next couple of years. Lewis Chessum the captain has really developed into an all action lock that runs a good lineout. The starting hooker and Fasogbon the tighthead are more than a bit handy. Cunningham-South at 8 is going to go down very well playing like that at the Stoop. Not so sure on the back line though Johnson off the tee was laser guided.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun 09 Jul 2023, 9:45 pm

I'm in France at the minute but couldn't find anywhere showing it.

The FH selection was interesting with Johnson getting a rare start.

Looked promising at half time and next time I got WiFi we were getting beat by 20!

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Mon 10 Jul 2023, 9:21 am

I think on the FH front Johnson may have been carrying a knock and that's why they turned to Slevin, who is normally an FB. Presumably he was fit for the game.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 12 Jul 2023, 2:19 pm

Poorfour wrote:I think on the FH front Johnson may have been carrying a knock and that's why they turned to Slevin, who is normally an FB. Presumably he was fit for the game.

I presumed they'd gone with Johnson as he's a far better kicker and they expected a tight game. Having said that Harris the fullback was taking the kick offs and some of the kicks to touch so it could well have been Johnson wasn't fully fit. Makes his touchline conversions all the more impressive.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed 12 Jul 2023, 4:26 pm

Don't know what way the final and 3rd place playoff will go. But I have to say, while playing a lot of rugby on poor quality pitches (weather and season driven), I've been impressed by so many of these underage sides, in particular France, England, Ireland, Georgia, Italy and Australia.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 12 Jul 2023, 5:33 pm

Wales did ok too, narrow loss to NZ good win v Georgia with a chance to get 5th which would be a decent result.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 13 Jul 2023, 3:08 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:Wales did ok too, narrow loss to NZ good win v Georgia with a chance to get 5th which would be a decent result.

Yeah it does seem a bit mad that we are in a battle for fifth, given how the six nations went. Not too shabby.

Don’t see them beating the Aussies, but I didn’t see us beating Georgia either.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 13 Jul 2023, 7:55 pm

If Wales finish 5th that's quite the turnaround in a short space of time. Haywards team would have lost to Japan. Wales U20 have needed a top coach for a while and I'd like to see Mark Jones stay in the role for a few more years, then perhaps step up to be on the coaching staff of a Region.

The only other decent coach we've ever had at this level was Danny Wilson. I'd like to see him take up a post at one of our teams, he's a good forwards coach and has experience. Jason Strange was somewhat decent but not sure what he's up to.

* Wilson has a role with Quins as a lineout and contact coach.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 14 Jul 2023, 7:45 pm

The French have been a delight to watch this championship. Worthy winners.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 14 Jul 2023, 7:46 pm

Not a scoreline I expected in the final. Agree with others, this French team looks like something special.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Fri 14 Jul 2023, 9:06 pm

Yeah a spanking but a good watch anyway

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Sat 15 Jul 2023, 5:08 pm

Pretty insane to think that France's two best youngsters are with the senior squad, prepping for the WC.
Ireland are a quality team but just couldn't cope with French forward power, featuring a hugely mobile and physical back row.
The quality running through the backline provided a cutting edge for the whole tournament, continuing in the final.
Their bench was also powerful across the board.
Frightening for the rest of the world.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 15 Jul 2023, 6:47 pm

We all knew France would sort themselves out eventually, yet it took quite a while. They might become all-conquering for the foreseeable but the rest will catch up at some point.

I think it was Ireland's 8 that is pretty good, though I haven't watched a lot of them. I think it's Gleeson I'm thinking of.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 25 Jul 2023, 4:51 pm

Huge result in the JWCT as Uruguay beat Scotland 37-26. Scotland will remain in the JWCT next year and either Spain or Uruguay will be in the main comp.

Is it time to expand the u20 wc to 16 teams?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 25 Jul 2023, 5:55 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Huge result in the JWCT as Uruguay beat Scotland 37-26. Scotland will remain in the JWCT next year and either Spain or Uruguay will be in the main comp.

Is it time to expand the u20 wc to 16 teams?

I think you would get some pretty big miss matches if you did and I do include anyone currently playing Scotland in amongst that.

Well done and congratulations to Uruguay, who are also qualified for the men's world cup and are clearly doing a lot right atm, but from what I saw of the match, Scotland were woeful and would be an embarrassment in the JWC playing like that.

I don't want to see us back up there until we are properly ready, if indeed we ever are!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 25 Jul 2023, 6:16 pm

Not a result I expected tbh but also good to see from a rugby point of view. I definitely think the JWC should be expanded; Scotland, Georgia, Japan, Italy, Fiji and apparently Uruguay are too good for the Junior Trophy IMO.

Do Samoa and Tonga have U20 programmes?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Tue 25 Jul 2023, 10:36 pm

This result is disastrous for Scottish age grade rugby. Kenny Murray must surely go after the run of results this season.

When the highlight of the season is a cumbersome, bludgeoning single figure win against a poor 14 man Wales team we were clearly in deep trouble.

The battering by France, followed by an annihilation at the hands of Ireland were surely the lowest points we could reach?

But no, we then go on to suffer this loss to Uruguay. A loss that must surely provide the coup de grace for the current coaching ticket and provoke a serious review into all aspects of age grade rugby in Scotland.

We cannot go on like this if we are to have any hope of staying in the top tier of international rugby.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed 26 Jul 2023, 8:15 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Not a result I expected tbh but also good to see from a rugby point of view. I definitely think the JWC should be expanded; Scotland, Georgia, Japan, Italy, Fiji and apparently Uruguay are too good for the Junior Trophy IMO.

Yeah they both have u20 programmes and have played in the jwc before. Samoa were in the trophy this year. Don't forget about Spain too, who look strong this year and could very well beat Uruguay in the final.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 26 Jul 2023, 10:11 am

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Not a result I expected tbh but also good to see from a rugby point of view. I definitely think the JWC should be expanded; Scotland, Georgia, Japan, Italy, Fiji and apparently Uruguay are too good for the Junior Trophy IMO.

Yeah they both have u20 programmes and have played in the jwc before. Samoa were in the trophy this year. Don't forget about Spain too, who look strong this year and could very well beat Uruguay in the final.

That they have, but haven't heard of them in a while so wondered if their programmes had stopped. Realistically speaking they're also too good to be in the Junior trophy, once they get their act together. Yes I guess Spain is another one.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2