The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 23/24

+30
Mr Bounce
Highland Shaun
broadlandboy
doctor_grey
RiscaGame
Margin_Walker
carpet baboon
Collapse2005
Pete330v2
Lowlandbrit
Welshmushroom
LeinsterFan4life
Recwatcher16
propdavid_london
BigGee
TAFKA The Oracle
Hazel Sapling
Rugby Fan
WELL-PAST-IT
mikey_dragon
Oakdene
lostinwales
Geordie
king_carlos
geoff999rugby
Fluxy
George Carlin
No 7&1/2
formerly known as Sam
Sgt_Pooly
34 posters

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 23/24 - Page 3 Empty Silly Season Transfer Rumours 23/24

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 14 Aug 2023, 5:22 am

First topic message reminder :

I need rumours.....and I need them now!

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 23/24 - Page 3 Empty Re: Silly Season Transfer Rumours 23/24

Post by Geordie Thu 14 Dec 2023, 10:09 pm

Wiese going to Stade

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 23/24 - Page 3 Empty Re: Silly Season Transfer Rumours 23/24

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 14 Dec 2023, 10:15 pm

Jasper Weise is an absolute machine. Nearly impossible to find a direct replacement. Not only is Weise explosive and physical but his relentless work rate is ridiculous. It's something like every round he's played in the Prem this season he's made more carries than anyone else. Another one like that isn't going to be easy to rustle up.

Tigers will have some spending ability for a replacement but also need to invest at loosehead so it's not like we'll have a warchest. There's going to be some 8s available at the end of the season but we have some big lads already who can play 8, what we need is someone who can be explosive and offer a real point of difference.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 14 Dec 2023, 11:25 pm

RG Snyman to Leinster.
Ouch

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 14 Dec 2023, 11:40 pm

Leinster are playing a computer game more than club rugby at this stage.  Laugh  Insane squad.

4.Snyman, McCarthy, Deeny
5.Ryan, Malony
6.Baird, Ruddock, Deegan
7.JVdF, Penny, Connors
8.Doris, Conan

Soroka looked decent for the U20s too.

Presumably Jason Jenkins will be on the move then?

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 15 Dec 2023, 12:06 am

Snyman (and Leinster) trying to win friends and influence people)

Hard to see that going down well in Ireland!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 15 Dec 2023, 8:15 am

Kick in the teeth for Bath given they thought that Snyman and Arundell were both on their way!

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 15 Dec 2023, 8:21 am

Don't Leinster need a TH?
Jason Jenkins is likely on his way out, I guess he could end up at Bath now.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Fri 15 Dec 2023, 8:38 am

BigGee wrote:Snyman (and Leinster) trying to win friends and influence people)

Hardly, there is constant traffic between the provinces. Ulster, Connacht and Munster all have plenty of players that have come through Leinsters system.

Id have more concerns as a Leinster fan anyway, Snyman has only played 10 games for Munster since 2020! Maybe they are happy to offload him.

Last edited by Collapse2005 on Fri 15 Dec 2023, 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 15 Dec 2023, 9:32 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Don't Leinster need a TH?

I dunno that Furlong chappy at Leinster is pretty handy...

Bealham will probably be announced imminently if the Samoan chappy is leaving.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 15 Dec 2023, 9:41 am

Collapse2005 wrote:

Hardly, there is constant traffic between the provinces. Ulster, Connacht and Munster all have plenty of players that have come through Leinsters system.

Id have more concerns as a Leinster fan anyway, Snyman has only played 10 games for Munster since 2020! Maybe they are happy to offload him.

Sure, but you don't get many going the other way.

Especially marquee players who have been with another provence for 4 years, yet hardly played a game while Leinster, with their resources, really does not need him.

It strikes me if you ask the question, why are they taking him?

The answer is, because they can!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Recwatcher16 Fri 15 Dec 2023, 9:52 am

The nonsense speculation on both Snyman and Arundell coming to Bath has been shown to be nonsense.
Arundel is still a young man and clearly is enjoying both Paris and Lancaster's influence, who originally made his name coaching youngsters.
Snyman being hoovered up by Leinster is not exactly a new approach, given the high profile SH forwards over the years and ensures a test player in every pack position for the big games for Leinster. Offloading public school youngsters who haven't made the grade is one thing. Carbery was probably the last high profile name that I can think of in recent times that has left Leinster.
Snyman playing in the premiership/euro would probably play, assuming fitness, close to twenty games a season and it will probably be half that for Leinster, so a no brainer, on or around the quoted €450k a year. That must have been a big part of the decision, as gives him a chance of being fit for SA games in the summer.

Recwatcher16

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 15 Dec 2023, 9:58 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:

He sure is, but Ala'atoa (spelt this wrong) is departing so I assumed they would be in the market for his replacement. Good point on Bealham though, they could try and nab him.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 15 Dec 2023, 10:00 am

BigGee wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:

Especially marquee players who have been with another provence for 4 years, yet hardly played a game while Leinster, with their resources, really does not need him.

Well he is on his way out already. Leinster have a track record of signing good marquee players that does a lot for them on and off the pitch - Elsom, Thorn and Nacewa spring to mind. Most of their team is also from Leinster so I don't see the need to think of it as a negative.

mikey_dragon

Collapse2005 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Fri 15 Dec 2023, 10:13 am

BigGee wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:

Munsters squad has lots of players that have come through Leinster, Oli Jager, Jeremy Loughman, Joey Carbery, Andrew Conway, Paddy Patterson  (all Blackrock college lads) Tadgh Beirne (Clongowes wood college). All former Leinster or Leinster academy players. Im sure over they year especially recently there has been equal enough traffic between Munster and Leinster.

Its unlikely the answer is "because they can" thats a very cynical view point. I'm sure it was more because it suited all parties. Leinster doesnt just go to the other provinces and say Ill have that whenever it suits them.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 15 Dec 2023, 10:21 am

Collapse2005 wrote:
BigGee wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:

Munsters squad has lots of players that have come through Leinster, Oli Jager, Jeremy Loughman, Joey Carbery, Andrew Conway, Paddy Patterson  (all Blackrock college lads) Tadgh Beirne (Clongowes wood college). All former Leinster or Leinster academy players. Im sure over they year especially recently there has been equal enough traffic between Munster and Leinster.

Its unlikely the answer is "because they can" thats a very cynical view point. I'm sure it was more because it suited all parties.

I suspect not many clubs would pay the kind of money that he will be on with his injury record, even if he does tick a box for them. That is kind of what I am getting at.

I can see the attraction for Synman though. Good money, moderate workload, chance for trophies and keep in best shape for his international career.

I imagine his question was, where do I sign?

I

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 15 Dec 2023, 11:00 am

king_carlos wrote:Leinster are playing a computer game more than club rugby at this stage.  Laugh  Insane squad.

4.Snyman, McCarthy, Deeny
5.Ryan, Malony
6.Baird, Ruddock, Deegan
7.JVdF, Penny, Connors
8.Doris, Conan

Soroka looked decent for the U20s too.

Presumably Jason Jenkins will be on the move then?
All bar Snyman produced by the academy too, which is even more insane!

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 15 Dec 2023, 11:05 am

mikey_dragon wrote:

He sure is, but Ala'atoa (spelt this wrong) is departing so I assumed they would be in the market for his replacement. Good point on Bealham though, they could try and nab him.
Zero chance of Bealham leaving Connacht. Provinces can't outbid each other and the IRFU have no intention of taking Connachts internationals off them. It'd be more possible if Augier joined (ex Leinster player) but that is also very unlikely.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 15 Dec 2023, 12:23 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Zero chance of Bealham leaving Connacht. Provinces can't outbid each other and the IRFU have no intention of taking Connachts internationals off them. It'd be more possible if Augier joined (ex Leinster player) but that is also very unlikely.

I don't know the rules now, but Leinster did used to take a few players from here and there. I understand there were also IRFU supported moves where players would go from Leinster to Ulster and Munster (Jack McGrath and Joey Carberry). It would be a disaster if Connacht lost Bealham, their top player with Aki. I don't know Augier.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 15 Dec 2023, 12:35 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

I don't know the rules now, but Leinster did used to take a few players from here and there. I understand there were also IRFU supported moves where players would go from Leinster to Ulster and Munster (Jack McGrath and Joey Carberry). It would be a disaster if Connacht lost Bealham, their top player with Aki. I don't know Augier.
yeah it's a recent enough change. An international hasn't joined another province from Connacht since Robbie Henshaw (Leinster man) as far as I remember? I think the IRFU want Connacht as strong as possible.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 15 Dec 2023, 1:48 pm

I had Henshaw in mind when I said that, don't tell me he was also in the Leinster academy at some point... I can't think of more recent ones coming your way from the other three.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Fri 15 Dec 2023, 2:10 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:I had Henshaw in mind when I said that, don't tell me he was also in the Leinster academy at some point... I can't think of more recent ones coming your way from the other three.

Henshaw is from Westmeath which is in Leinster. However, he is an exception as he wasnt in the Leinster academy as the part of Leinster he is from often aligns itself with Connacht as its right on the border so his school was actually in the Connacht schools cup system despite being in Leinster.

When Leinster signed him though he said himself that he approached Leinster himself rather than the other way around as he wanted to be close to his girlfriend who went to college in Dublin.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/robbie-henshaw-decision-to-move-to-leinster-was-mine-1.2541869

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Fri 15 Dec 2023, 2:17 pm

RG Snyman to Leinster is on a lot of social media channels.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 18 Dec 2023, 6:49 pm

Details of Snyman’s salary are public now. I thought he would earn more in France or Japan. Leinster are a good shout for silverware though.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue 19 Dec 2023, 9:22 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Details of Snyman’s salary are public now. I thought he would earn more in France or Japan. Leinster are a good shout for silverware though.

Apparently they offered him €500k which I believe is what Munster were willing to offer him. He would undoubtedly make more elsewhere but I'm not sure a guy who has only played 10 matches in three years is worth more than that. Id be concerned that €500k is a lot but presumably salaries are covered by insurance anyway.

My guess is that Snyman wants to stay in Ireland to apply for citizenship which you can apply for after 5 years in the country.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Tue 19 Dec 2023, 12:03 pm

Anyone heard Carberry to leave Munster at the end of the season?

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Dec 2023, 2:38 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Details of Snyman’s salary are public now. I thought he would earn more in France or Japan. Leinster are a good shout for silverware though.

Apparently they offered him €500k which I believe is what Munster were willing to offer him. He would undoubtedly make more elsewhere but I'm not sure a guy who has only played 10 matches in three years is worth more than that. Id be concerned that €500k is a lot but presumably salaries are covered by insurance anyway.

My guess is that Snyman wants to stay in Ireland to apply for citizenship which you can apply for after 5 years in the country.

If Snyman has been a tax resident in Ireland and stays there long term then he'll qualify for their very generous tax relief upon retirement couldn't he? That basically results in sportsmen not paying tax on 40% of their income. Pretty tasty.

Add in how good a team and setup he's joining. How regularly he'll be rested through the season. Knowing Nienaber so well. It's a great place for Snyman to be. Then due to the seasons he won't clash with the RC, be available for the Six Nations. Whilst Leinster are very well equipped to be without internationals during the AIs. So it suits Leinster well too as long as they can get him on the pitch more. Nienaber is a quality coach and knows Snyman well though.

Tax situations are often overlooked in these conversations. Take Jasper Wiese going to Japan. High earning foreigners there pay a flat rate tax of 20.42%, then their equivalent of NI is capped at £5/year. So if paid even £500k in Japan he'd take home around £400k. Whereas if he's paid the same in England he'd take home well under £300k even taking into account a portion of the wage being in "image rights" which agents notoriously use to get some income taxed at 25%.

king_carlos

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 19 Dec 2023, 4:04 pm

The Snyman saga has given rugby here incredible mainstream coverage. It has also reignited the heated rivalry between the two provinces which will be beneficial commercially. The St Stephens Derby will be quite something.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 20 Dec 2023, 8:17 am

carpet baboon wrote:Anyone heard Carberry to leave Munster at the end of the season?

Wouldn't surprise me. He's been injury ravaged so might think now's the time to cash in, in case his career isn't as long he'd like. He's being linked to Bordeaux to provide backup/competition for Jalibert.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 20 Dec 2023, 12:59 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:

You sure about that? South Africans don't like the cold...

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 20 Dec 2023, 1:02 pm

Tomos Williams linked to Gloucester, and Rhys Carre linked with a move back to Saracens. Some English and French clubs also looking at Wainwright and Dyer.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 20 Dec 2023, 2:28 pm

Wainwright has been linked with Tigers and Bristol to my knowledge.

Brizz tend to get linked with a lot of players. Maybe they talk to a lot at this stage. Or maybe it's an easy rumour to throw out given Lam's curious recruitment decisions and Lansdowne's deep pockets. Mata is also linked with them.

With Wiese going Tigers need an 8 and Wainwright wants to play there. He's a quality back row but very different to Wiese's strengths. I'd be happy enough seeing Wainwright at Tigers but I'd hope for added physicality elsewhere in the pack to offset the difference in the back row when necessary. Be that a massive second row - I wouldn't mind targeting Jenkins given he's leaving Leinster - or a LH who's a bit more dynamic around the park.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 20 Dec 2023, 2:57 pm

I'm not sold in acquiring more locks for Tigers unless we are losing one of Henderson, Chessum, Martin or Wells. We've got four good locks there, three of which will only get better. Carter can do a job and then we've got another two England under 20 grads plus Tom Manz.

Loosehead is a big must for us. Definitely need an upgrade (or two) in that department. Will Goodrick-Clarke who's playing in the Championship after LI going under would be great for us, went to Loughborough Uni and is EQ. If Rhys Carre wants out of Wales I'd like us to take a look at him, I think Nicky Smith has committed to staying otherwise he'd fit in well at Tigers also.

No really sold on Wainwright. He seems ok, has been playing 8 but I dunno I think I was hoping for someone either physically dominant or someone who's more explosive. Derenalagi the Fijian backrow would be fairly ideal; can play across the backrow, big, quick, strong, ridiculous skillset from his sevens days and looked good for Fiji at the world cup. We've got some industrious bruisers in the squad already.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 20 Dec 2023, 6:10 pm

Falcons have signed centre Jordan Holgate from Jersey...6'3 and 17st  ..just what we need. Big go forward South African...

Geordie

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 27 Dec 2023, 7:55 am

If there isn't a rumour about a newly fit Adam Hastings heading from Gloucester back up to Glasgow, then I'm going to start one right now.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 27 Dec 2023, 9:34 am

George Carlin wrote:If there isn't a rumour about a newly fit Adam Hastings heading from Gloucester back up to Glasgow, then I'm going to start one right now.

Looks highly likely Hastings is leaving Glaws. Glaws have signed Charlie Atkinson from Tigers effective immediate and he's a bright young talent that needs some polishing. They've got Carreras, Lloyd and Barton on the books as well. All of Atkinson, Carreras and Lloyd can also play 15 as well which really works for the Glaws attack as well. I think all are younger and cheaper than Hastings.

Frees up some money for Glaws to keep LRZ and at the same time add some additional beef to the Glaws right five which must be high on the wishlist for next season.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 27 Dec 2023, 12:03 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:

You sure about that? South Africans don't like the cold...

Yes quite sure. Did you forget Ireland is in the EU?

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 02 Jan 2024, 11:25 am

Billy Vunipola to Suntory Sungoliath. Unless he's offered a hybrid I'd assume.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 02 Jan 2024, 12:22 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Billy Vunipola to Suntory Sungoliath. Unless he's offered a hybrid I'd assume.

If that could be officially announced sharpish to make him ineligible for the 6N that would be useful. Be a blow for Sarries as he's been reliable for them but they have TWillis as the natural successor.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Tue 02 Jan 2024, 2:53 pm

This is an anti-transfer rumour. Great news for Saints, Dingwall and Coles have re-signed.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

king_carlos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 03 Jan 2024, 1:59 pm

Apparently Saracens have signed Brantingham from us for Next season...to be confirmed...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Wed 03 Jan 2024, 2:00 pm

Lawes to Toulon is being suggested online.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Wed 03 Jan 2024, 2:33 pm

Lawes signed a new contract last April, so probably a rumour, I certainly hope so he has been magic since the RWC.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 03 Jan 2024, 2:35 pm

Geordie wrote:Apparently Saracens have signed Brantingham from us for Next season...to be confirmed...

If Mako moves on as well as Billy then he'd be a pretty ideal prospect. West is a rock solid LH, then Brantingham could be very good in time.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Margin_Walker Wed 03 Jan 2024, 7:52 pm

Tough spot for Newcastle really.

Ultimately financial survival is rightly the goal, so they need to operate on a significantly lower playing budget than the rest of the league. Would be fascinating to see, but they might be spending half what some clubs are spending when you take into account marquee signings etc. That's always going to bleed through to the results unless they find a way to massively outperform the budget.

You're then in a position where you bring decent young players into an environment without many top quality senior pros and coaches around them. Ultimately guys like Brantingham, Redshaw and Pepper will likely leave as contract renewals come up whilst the team is getting beaten every week. Find a way to at least be competitive and that may not be the case. But that's so much easier said than done whilst there's no money.

Margin_Walker

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed 03 Jan 2024, 8:43 pm

Some rumours of Welsh players leaving to go to a few English clubs, inc Tomos Williams to Glaws, Rhys Carre to Sarries and Taine Basham. Doesn’t really mention Aaron Wainwright who is linked to Bristol and Leicester.

Worth reading for the WRU being the same old idiots anyway, but I guess this isn’t the right topic to discuss it on.

https://t.co/yHlct1bsnG

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 05 Jan 2024, 11:30 am

Rory Sutherland back to Scotland with Glasgow getting some coverage in TRP, which also says the Hastings deal back to Scotstoun is wrapped up.

Both would be decent signings for Glasgow.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Fri 05 Jan 2024, 11:33 am

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:Lawes signed a new contract last April, so probably a rumour, I certainly hope so he has been magic since the RWC.

Lawes deal runs out at the end of this season according to some press outlets.

Toulon have since distanced themselves from the speculation.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 05 Jan 2024, 11:44 am

Bill Mata confirmed to Bristol, somewhat old news but seems like a strange call unless he's playing 2nd row for them? Are Bristol losing Bradbury?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 05 Jan 2024, 11:44 am

RiscaGame wrote:Some rumours of Welsh players leaving to go to a few English clubs, inc Tomos Williams to Glaws, Rhys Carre to Sarries and Taine Basham. Doesn’t really mention Aaron Wainwright who is linked to Bristol and Leicester.

Worth reading for the WRU being the same old idiots anyway, but I guess this isn’t the right topic to discuss it on.

https://t.co/yHlct1bsnG

Williams and Carre are done deals as far as I know.

I also read on in the article. Depressing.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 05 Jan 2024, 12:09 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Bill Mata confirmed to Bristol, somewhat old news but seems like a strange call unless he's playing 2nd row for them? Are Bristol losing Bradbury?

English cap goes up quite by £1.4 million next year and Bristol only has six senior backrows this season including three that will be over 30 (assuming they are under contract). They could keep Bradbury though it is not guaranteed. He has been a workhorse for them. Started 20 games last season and has started 13 (after tonight 14) so far this season.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next