The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 2023 Cricket World Cup

+21
wisden
Galted
Oakdene
Soul Requiem
msp83
dummy_half
Marky
Afro
Pal Joey
compelling and rich
JDizzle
GSC
alfie
Jetty
king_carlos
VTR
guildfordbat
KP_fan
eirebilly_01
Good Golly I'm Olly
Duty281
25 posters

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

The 2023 Cricket World Cup - Page 19 Empty The 2023 Cricket World Cup

Post by Duty281 Mon 18 Sep 2023, 1:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

After the drama-free finish to the 2019 Cricket World Cup, the 2023 Cricket World Cup will finally get under way on the 5th October, having been initially delayed by Covid and then threatened by a Pakistani boycott.

England are the defending champions, and they're also the reigning T20 World Champions. Doubleplusgood, eh? They're looking to be the first nation to win consecutive ODI World Cups since the Aussie vintage of 1999-2007. Biggest adversaries to that are likely to be India, who haven't won a major global competition since the 2013 Champions Trophy, but will no doubt be heartened by the knowledge that the last three ODI World Cups have been won by a host nation.

Five-time winners Australia can never be ruled out, while Pakistan are fueled by a burning motivation to win the World Cup in the homeland of their greatest rivals. New Zealand have made the last two finals - losing the last on boundary count, would you believe? - and will hope to make the final step this year.

South Africa will presumably think they're due to win something, as they've not won a global competition since the 1998 Champions Trophy, while the Afghans will believe they can spin anyone into submission. Bangladesh will be hoping to make a sizable impact at the ODI World Cup for the first time.

Sri Lanka breezed through qualifying and will be encouraged by making the recent Asia Cup final, even if they did get hammered in said final. The Netherlands round off the ten teams after performing minor miracles in qualification, which of course means the West Indies, the winners of the first two ODI World Cups, will be missing out on this tournament for the very first time.

The ten-team format for the World Cup remains as simple as ever. Ten teams all play each other once, and the top four teams in the group at the end of it go through to the semi-finals, where it becomes a straight knockout. 48 matches total. There will be reserve days for the three knockout matches and, if necessary, Super Overs. But you can't win games on boundary count anymore...

Fixtures:

Tournament Odds:

Squad Lists (Teams have until the 28th September to finalise their squads):

Last edited by Duty281 on Thu 28 Sep 2023, 3:36 pm; edited 6 times in total

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Pal Joey, guildfordbat, alfie, king_carlos and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

The 2023 Cricket World Cup - Page 19 Empty Re: The 2023 Cricket World Cup

Post by Duty281 Sat 28 Oct 2023, 2:55 pm

Shakib nicks behind and Bangladesh are 63/4, in a bit of bother.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 28 Oct 2023, 3:07 pm

Bangladesh are done. Three wickets in three overs and it's 70/6.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 28 Oct 2023, 3:38 pm

My Sat is too full and the cricketing time already burnt out by the NZ-Aus early morning game
But it does look like NED will make it 3 wins today....pity can't watch

BD fighting for the wooden spoon with seemingly Eng
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 28 Oct 2023, 4:53 pm

The Netherlands deserves to be accorded Test status
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 28 Oct 2023, 5:03 pm

Great win for the Dutch. Got here by a minor miracle and are now giving a good account of themselves. Only team to beat the current table-toppers, now they've got two wins at a WC for the first time. Test status? Is there any point? Ireland spent years fighting for it and barely play the format.

Bangladesh, humiliating World Cup for them. I thought they were a solid team in favourable conditions, but performances have been limp and miserable. Five defeats on the bounce. I sense huge disruption in their camp.

England back down to 10th. But they could lift themselves as high as 5th tomorrow! Apparently they're going to fiddle with the balance again, bringing Brook in for Moeen/LL. Must-win to keep the faintest, most minimalist hopes alive, while India are chasing 9-0.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 28 Oct 2023, 5:42 pm

Duty281 wrote: .

England back down to 10th. But they could lift themselves as high as 5th tomorrow! Apparently they're going to fiddle with the balance again, bringing Brook in for Moeen/LL. Must-win to keep the faintest, most minimalist hopes alive, while India are chasing 9-0.

The pitch will be undoubtedly the black soil, slow, bit lose, no grass type.
India I think will be in a catch-22 on team selection & hence in dilemma on how much spin to leave in the pitch....
They have to have 3 seamers, even if its a slowish pitch...to control the game....because at various stages when defending or when a batsman is blowing apart spinner......you need a 3rd seamer....and so shami will be retained.

that means India can have 2 spinners +SKY for Pandya
Now if they want to bring Ashwin......it can be only in for SKY...means batting weakens further....and I don't think they will risk it
Hence a 7/10 spinning pitch like the one they had vs Aus & would have liked tomm....will be avoided...and it will be a 5/10 pitch more like the one we had vs Pak in Ahmadabad.

Eng should try to get India to chase...which is what India prefer in normal course
India meanwhile give the frailty of the lower order......should put runs on board and get a feel for batting first....something that they have not done in first 5 games
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 28 Oct 2023, 5:45 pm

Duty281 wrote: Ireland spent years fighting for it and barely play the format.

I think Ire, Zim, Ned, WI & BD should play a lot of test cricket between them
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 28 Oct 2023, 7:02 pm

I think that would probably require the ICC to underwrite the costs sadly KPF
GSC
GSC

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 28 Oct 2023, 11:46 pm

The only way that more Tests get played by those nations is if the broadcasting is sold as a central rights package for one league. Then if broadcasters want the rights to India, England and Oz games they pay for the rights to everything. And broadcast it.

All Test nations are then given equal funding from that central pot to host and play Test cricket. Countries that can make more money from ticket sales, domestic leagues, advertising, etc etc can do so. They can reinvest that in their cricket as they please. The equal central funding would cover the necessities. If that funding covers flights and hotels for a 18-man touring party and the big three want to bring along a few more for net bowling then feel free by paying for it beyond that funding.

It wont happen though because the BCCI, ECB and CA wont relinquish power. The most depressing thing is that it's the power rather than money that they are relinquishing too. The bilateral model is absurdly inefficient at making money from broadcasting rights. Even the rights to show the last England series in India (a big three clash) went to Channel 5 for a pittance because they waited until a week before when the board got desperate for a broadcaster then lowballed. Selling the rights as a package would better monetise Test cricket. Which actually offers strong advertising opportunity to broadcasters. It's on through most the day, goes for 5 days and the captive audience are largely affluent. So in the medium run, let alone long run, they wouldn't lose money as the pot would get bigger. They would lose control though. And the big three would happily see most of cricket burn to the ground if they can still be lightly scorched zombie teams stumbling around in the ashes. The cartel would rather have control of a disaster than be part of something functional. It just makes me sad.

king_carlos

GSC likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 28 Oct 2023, 11:52 pm

KP_fan wrote:
Duty281 wrote: .

The pitch will be undoubtedly the black soil, slow, bit lose, no grass type.
India I think will be in a catch-22 on team selection & hence in dilemma on how much spin to leave in the pitch....
They have to have 3 seamers, even if its a slowish pitch...to control the game....because at various stages when defending or when a batsman is blowing apart spinner......you need a 3rd seamer....and so shami will be retained.

that means India can have 2 spinners +SKY for Pandya
Now if they want to bring Ashwin......it can be only in for SKY...means batting weakens further....and I don't think they will risk it
Hence a 7/10 spinning pitch like the one they had vs Aus & would have liked tomm....will be avoided...and it will be a 5/10 pitch more like the one we had vs Pak in Ahmadabad.

Eng should try to get India to chase...which is what India prefer in normal course
India meanwhile give the frailty of the lower order......should put runs on board and get a feel for batting first....something that they have not done in first 5 games
If India were playing the long game, looking at the KO stages, then I'd honestly expect an absolute Bunsen and give Bumrah a rest. Play three spinners, Shami and Siraj. Rest the most important cog for them in the best ODI bowler going by a distance. England are playing spin dismally. India are batting excellently and have far better spinners.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 29 Oct 2023, 12:35 am

KP_fan wrote:
Duty281 wrote:  Ireland spent years fighting for it and barely play the format.

I think Ire, Zim, Ned, WI & BD should play a lot of test cricket between them

Would like to see it, but it won't happen because of finance (articulated excellently by Carlos) and how packed the calendar is.

As I've said before, I think the WTC should be split into two divisions to give the lesser teams something to realistically aim for (promotion) and to even up the fixture list. But it won't happen. Like most governing bodies the ICC is fiercely incompetent.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 29 Oct 2023, 8:07 am

king_carlos wrote:The only way that more Tests get played by those nations is if the broadcasting is sold as a central rights package for one league. Then if broadcasters want the rights to India, England and Oz games they pay for the rights to everything. And broadcast it.

All Test nations are then given equal funding from that central pot to host and play Test cricket. Countries that can make more money from ticket sales, domestic leagues, advertising, etc etc can do so. They can reinvest that in their cricket as they please. The equal central funding would cover the necessities. If that funding covers flights and hotels for a 18-man touring party and the big three want to bring along a few more for net bowling then feel free by paying for it beyond that funding.

It wont happen though because the BCCI, ECB and CA wont relinquish power. The most depressing thing is that it's the power rather than money that they are relinquishing too. The bilateral model is absurdly inefficient at making money from broadcasting rights. Even the rights to show the last England series in India (a big three clash) went to Channel 5 for a pittance because they waited until a week before when the board got desperate for a broadcaster then lowballed. Selling the rights as a package would better monetise Test cricket. Which actually offers strong advertising opportunity to broadcasters. It's on through most the day, goes for 5 days and the captive audience are largely affluent. So in the medium run, let alone long run, they wouldn't lose money as the pot would get bigger. They would lose control though. And the big three would happily see most of cricket burn to the ground if they can still be lightly scorched zombie teams stumbling around in the ashes. The cartel would rather have control of a disaster than be part of something functional. It just makes me sad.

The Global cricketing rights are actually working quite close to like you propose they should work.

-The total cricketing rights are in one ICC pot. This pot is roughly usd 630M for 2023
-90% of it is for 12 Full members (FM i.e test playing nations) & 10% is distributed for development of cricket among 90 odd Associate members ( AMs)
-the 90% itself starts with distributing equally among 12 FMs that's 8.3% each but then other "value to cricket criterias" take over resulting in India taking 38.5% followed by Aus, Eng, then Pak, SA then Rest
but even the rest are getting double digit million
-In return the FMs have to commit to a FTP which includes a min number of tests
-the local Boards keep all the local revenues i.e ticket sales & local sponsorship and it's this component that struggles in low ranked FM nations

so ICC is not that bad....Aus, Eng Pak are taking upwards of 50M per year and SA about 30 to 40M and rest all get atleast in double digit Millions
what I would like to see is ICC push more test match component in the FTP. The FM's comply to minimum because the secondary revenue i.e local sponsorships and ticket sales are lease for tests
and that's where ICC can find some more incentive from central pot for pushing a higher test match component.

source: July 2023 ICC meet
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/bcci-set-to-get-nearly-40-of-icc-s-annual-net-earnings-in-new-revenue-distribution-model-1387167
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 29 Oct 2023, 8:10 am

Well India go with same team (expectedly)
Eng win the toss and put India in.......Eng have  tried to put India outsdie their comfort zone of chasing but ....given lack of one batter at No. 8 India's batting is shallower and their 9 thru 11 were hopelss anyway...... and chasing would have been more problematic for them .

I would have also liked to see India bat first
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 29 Oct 2023, 8:16 am

England persist with the same team. Bowl first this time ...probably doesn't make much difference as they have been equally inept either way. About the only thing England have done right - won the toss four times out of 6 Smile

Not that it has done them much good...

alfie

eirebilly_01 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Sun 29 Oct 2023, 8:19 am

I really would have started Brook as an opener for either Bairstow or Malan. If for Malan, I would have dropped Malan down the order and dropped Stokes.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 29 Oct 2023, 8:29 am

Brook should have played
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 29 Oct 2023, 8:34 am

It's thr grassless red soil pitch
Seen first time in this tournament
Will be a slow pitch and a low scoring
I think ind would do well to target 250 -275
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Sun 29 Oct 2023, 8:46 am

Rohit not sitting back now after a quiet first over. Ominous signs already from him.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Sun 29 Oct 2023, 8:50 am

Gill gone, he has not looked that great to be honest.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 29 Oct 2023, 9:00 am

It might sound bizarre that the one that got Gill reversed in the 4th over
This pitch will spin too
Eng has the bowling to restrict ind to 250
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Sun 29 Oct 2023, 9:06 am

Well well well, Kolhi with a 9 ball duck...

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 29 Oct 2023, 9:07 am

Not watching at present but I see from text that Kohli has gone too...decent start for England with the ball for a change !

Perhaps I had better not move to watch in case it undermines them Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 29 Oct 2023, 9:08 am

Sounds as if Woakes has actually been bowling well at last ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sun 29 Oct 2023, 9:09 am

alfie wrote:Sounds as if Woakes has actually been bowling well at last ?
Finally turns up, the game after we pretty much went out of the tournament, not helpful really!

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Sun 29 Oct 2023, 9:11 am

KP_fan wrote:It might sound bizarre that the one that got Gill reversed  in the 4th over
This pitch will spin too
Eng has the bowling to restrict ind to 250

Sadly that is still about 150 too many for England to get in the form they are in.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by wisden Sun 29 Oct 2023, 9:16 am

Lightning start from England, typical when we are all but out....still good to see though!

wisden

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Sun 29 Oct 2023, 9:20 am

One over of 18 runs and 17/2 coming from the other 9. Pretty much the worst PP I have seen from India for some time.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 29 Oct 2023, 9:26 am

This isb 3 day test match pitch
Bcci got done the pitch as in script .....India unable to field the 3rd spinner
And now in deep trouble......scoreboard not moving and wkts tumbling
Bat 50 overs and get 225 in board
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 29 Oct 2023, 9:28 am

Nice to see England starting well and removing Kohli for a duck. Very Happy

World Cup starts here?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 29 Oct 2023, 9:30 am

KP_fan wrote:This isb 3 day test match pitch
Bcci got done the pitch as in script .....India unable to field the 3rd spinner
And now in deep trouble......scoreboard not moving and wkts tumbling
Bat 50 overs and get 225 in board

To be fair based on England's batting so far, 50 runs below par might get the job done
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 29 Oct 2023, 9:47 am

The difference between black and red soil pitches
Black is lower bounce, grips and spins more
Red pitch looks like Roland Garos Clay Court and behave like same
Ball stops and sits up after pitching, bounce is a lot more than black pitch, spin a shade less
And it's tennis ball bounce

Eng look like on top but it's that type of pitch where 250 might be too much
Indians need to play a test match inning
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by wisden Sun 29 Oct 2023, 9:51 am

Ball turning quite a lot already...could see all of England spin options today...expect Livingstone to bowl a full spell here

wisden

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 29 Oct 2023, 10:24 am

Not the pitch for too much pace on bat
Bring the 3 spinners now and put aside Wood
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by wisden Sun 29 Oct 2023, 10:35 am

Partnership starting to score runs more freely...England have to be careful here need a wicket and quick

wisden

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 29 Oct 2023, 10:37 am

Livingstone is quite one dimensional, no variations at all
Brook would have been a better selection and Root a better bowler
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by wisden Sun 29 Oct 2023, 10:41 am

He bowls leg spin and off spin...and is a better fielder.....brook will come in for the next cycle after stokes retires again...

wisden

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 29 Oct 2023, 10:50 am

Big breakthrough that with India beginning to assert control.

Can hopefully make it a combination, not just an isolated breakthrough.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 29 Oct 2023, 10:52 am

Kl played well but now a bad shot. He needed to bat 7bto 8 overs more before going aerial
Ind have to buckle.down again and bat 10 over partnership
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by wisden Sun 29 Oct 2023, 10:54 am

Huge wicket that was!! Willey's bowled really well since finding out he hasn't got a contract after the tournament 🤦

wisden

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 29 Oct 2023, 11:21 am

Livingstone taking a good catch, but nearly ending his career in the process.

India disgracing cricket, as per usual, with how this World Cup has been prepared.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 29 Oct 2023, 11:22 am

Wrong timing again....need to wait 3 or 4 more overs
Not an easy pitch....jadeja and sky need to bat 10 overs now
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 29 Oct 2023, 11:27 am

Jadeja capable of taking England's bowlers apart anyway...but not too much if one of these two gets out. So that Rohit wicket has turned things back England's way.

For now...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 29 Oct 2023, 11:32 am

One more to a lengthy tail, so should be keeping them under 250 from here.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 29 Oct 2023, 11:39 am

This was the moment I have been fearing and cautioning india
6 down and with 10 overs to go and only 4 tailenedrs to follow.
They need to bat out 50 overs and squeeze 50 more runs
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 29 Oct 2023, 11:40 am

England get lucky with a very marginal umpire's call to take out Jadeja...

TBH , I thought it looked pretty good live so not surprised they got the on field decision. Leaves a lot up to SKY now at 183/6

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 29 Oct 2023, 11:42 am

Shami not wasting anyone's time...seven gone. Wood could make a mess of this tail ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 29 Oct 2023, 11:44 am

Chance to get a roll on now and keep 'em under 220.

Has been a fine, professional performance in the field, befitting the world champions. Finally.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by wisden Sun 29 Oct 2023, 11:48 am

Still dangerous here if sky bats all the overs here...but yes finally a good performance in the field from England! Still have to bat though...

wisden

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 29 Oct 2023, 12:07 pm

Oh dear...bad drop by Moeen then. Fielding has been so good too... Very handy over for India there.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 29 Oct 2023, 12:09 pm

But Willey snares the dangerous SKY so on balance not a bad trade...

208/8. How many can the bowlers add ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next