The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS NORTHAMPTONSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023

5 posters

Go down

SURREY VS NORTHAMPTONSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023 Empty SURREY VS NORTHAMPTONSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 18 Sep 2023, 5:32 pm

Surrey have named a 14 man squad for the the LV= county championship game against Northamptonshire starting on Tuesday 19th September.
Matthew Dunn and Josh Blake have been named for the first time this season in a red ball squad.
There is no place in the squad for Conor McKerr
Jamie Smith and Will Jacks are involved with England’s ODI’s with Ireland. Gus Atkinson, Sam Curran and Reece Topley are unavailable as they prepare for the ICC Cricket World Cup in October.
Full Squad:
Burns (c)
Blake
Clark
Dunn
Foakes
Geddes
Lawes
Overton
Patel
Roach
Sibley
Steel
Sudharsan
Worrall
If McKerr isn't injured i wonder if the club have released him Headscratch
Barring any overnight injuries Blake, Dunn and Geddes will be on drink duties, don't expect Sudharson to miss out again.
Over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

guildfordbat and thegooch7 like this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS NORTHAMPTONSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023 Empty Re: SURREY VS NORTHAMPTONSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023

Post by guildfordbat Mon 18 Sep 2023, 5:59 pm

Cheers, JimBob. Been waiting for this one. Wink

As the Club rarely tell us anything about players and their contracts, I understand why you thought McKerr might have been released but he's still with us, just injured. Think it's a side strain. Dunn gets into the squad as cover in case any of the seamers get sick or crocked before 10 tomorrow morning.

I agree with you about Sudharsan making his Surrey debut tomorrow. That probably means Dunn being joined on the bench by Geddes and Blake although there's a very small chance one of the batters could edge out Patel.

As well as Northants, it looks like we'll be up against the weather this week.

guildfordbat

thegooch7, jimbobgooner and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS NORTHAMPTONSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023 Empty Re: SURREY VS NORTHAMPTONSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 19 Sep 2023, 10:05 am

Surrey win toss and bowl 🕺
Team as expected

jimbobgooner

thegooch7 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Tue 19 Sep 2023, 10:24 am

Cheers jimbob, need to make the most of any play, as Guildford says, the weather looks like winning this week!

thegooch7

jimbobgooner likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 19 Sep 2023, 5:36 pm

Jamie Overton injured Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Tue 19 Sep 2023, 10:57 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:Jamie Overton injured Sad

Is this a second injury jimbob? I saw him go off in the morning, but he came back on, I didn't see any since but then he bowled 4 more overs in the afternoon

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 20 Sep 2023, 9:51 am

Not sure tbh Gooch

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 20 Sep 2023, 11:17 am

What is the situation re: the title and points needed etc?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 20 Sep 2023, 12:29 pm

The number 9 50 not out picard

Last edited by jimbobgooner on Wed 20 Sep 2023, 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 20 Sep 2023, 1:27 pm

Utter dross bowled by Surrey in helpful conditions/pitch, Northants go past 300, going to be almost impossible to win this from here

Last edited by thegooch7 on Wed 20 Sep 2023, 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 20 Sep 2023, 3:01 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:What is the situation re: the title and points needed etc?
a win at Hampshire needed now olly

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 20 Sep 2023, 11:18 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:What is the situation re: the title and points needed etc?
a win at Hampshire needed now olly

It's better than that for Surrey atm, chaps. However, still plenty of ifs and buts.

Only Surrey or Essex can now win the Championship and going into this week's matches, Surrey had an 18 point lead over Essex. That is still the case tonight; Surrey have taken 3 bowling points against Northants and Essex have taken 3 batting points against Hants.

The most points Essex can now take from their current game and next week's away to Northants is 46; that includes the 3 points mentioned above plus a maximum 11 bonus points remaining available and 32 points for two wins. Very challenging for Essex but still possible; the hardest part will be beating a fairly strong Hants side with the weather (and Olly's overly cautious umpires) threatening to further reduce the time available.

It seems incredibly unlikely that Surrey can beat Northants given how that game currently stands. I'll guess that Surrey take 11 points from this week's game (3 for bowling as already achieved, guessing 3 for batting and 5 for the draw). Assuming that happens and IF Essex do get 46 points from this week's and next week's games, then Surrey would have to win their match at Hants next week to retain the title.

However, if Essex only draw this week, that will still leave them about 18 points behind Surrey (assuming Surrey also draw this week) which would realistically mean Surrey would only have to draw their final match to pip Essex to the title. That's even if Essex achieve a win and maximum points at Northants next week. Of course if Surrey lose at Hants next week when the weather forecast is much better, an Essex win with a few bonus points at Northants would see the Championship trophy heading to Cheltenham.

Sorry to rabbit on but atm it's far from clear cut. The beauty of proper cricket. Wink

guildfordbat

thegooch7, jimbobgooner and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 21 Sep 2023, 10:03 am

thegooch7 wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:Jamie Overton injured Sad

Is this a second injury jimbob? I saw him go off in the morning, but he came back on, I didn't see any since but then he bowled 4 more overs in the afternoon

I was elsewhere yesterday and unable to watch even online but was at the Oval on Tuesday (day one). It was just the one injury. Overton pulled up holding his groin towards the end of his third over in the morning session. He then went off with the one ball of the over left being bowled by - spoiler for future quiz question - Burns. Overton came back to field at slip after about 30 minutes but didn't bowl again until late afternoon. Whilst he held two chances in the day, he dropped Nair off Worrall when he was on about 10 before lunch. You never know what would have happened next but I sensed that would have opened the door for us. It seemed strange to me and others that Overton returned to the field so relatively soon after appearing in a fair bit of discomfort.

Certainly going to be an issue if Overton is unfit or can't be trusted for next week's match. The undercooked Dunn is the only available extra seamer. Anyway, hopefully Overton will be ok for that, as he bowled more yesterday and took a couple of wickets.

Overall, I didn't think our bowling was too bad on Monday. Although Lawes bagged 3 then, I thought he was too often wayward and expensive. Worrall, Roach and Clark were better but had little to no luck. Where we did let ourselves down was in the catching - Overton as flagged above and, I understand (I had gone by then), Foakes missing Broad late on plus Patel downing Nair yesterday morning. Credit to Northans - they applied themselves well on a green top in tricky conditions and showed they were up for a fight even though relegation is staring them in the face.

As for today, will Northants declare? Possibly not, and we can't blame them if they bat on. However, when we do bat, we need to get as many points as we can whilst hoping that over at Chelmsford Hants can score 300 first dig and avoid the follow on against Essex.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 21 Sep 2023, 10:59 am

5 wkts for Lawes clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 21 Sep 2023, 12:40 pm

Sudharsan out to a shocker from the umpire, Olly deep breaths

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 21 Sep 2023, 12:53 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:Sudharsan out to a shocker from the umpire, Olly deep breaths

What are these blokes watching honestly censored
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 21 Sep 2023, 1:00 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:Sudharsan out to a shocker from the umpire, Olly deep breaths

Yep, I thought you guys would have picked that one out. Poor decision but also poor play from Surrey to have lost both openers before that. I feel the best we can hope for now is to scrape together 1 or 2 batting points and emerge with a draw. Meanwhile, Essex have Hants 5 down for 150. Hants need to get up to 298 to avoid the follow on.

Both games looking bad for Surrey ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 21 Sep 2023, 1:02 pm

guildfordbat wrote:

Yep, I thought you guys would have picked that one out. Poor decision but also poor play from Surrey to have lost both openers before that. I feel the best we can hope for now is to scrape together 1 or 2 batting points and emerge with a draw. Meanwhile, Essex have Hants 5 down for 150. Hants need to get up to 298 to avoid the follow on.

Both games looking bad for Surrey ....

Sibley is still in Wink

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Thu 21 Sep 2023, 1:09 pm

Bonus points out the window now, just need to avoid the follow on and defeat, at this rate it'll take over 110 overs, still in our own hands, sadly they include Captain clueless, surely he can't play against Hampshire next week

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Thu 21 Sep 2023, 1:16 pm

Where is Tom Curran by the way? Played in the 100.

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 21 Sep 2023, 1:18 pm

kingdaveeagle wrote:Where is Tom Curran by the way? Played in the 100.
taking a break from red ball cricket Dave

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Thu 21 Sep 2023, 2:33 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:
kingdaveeagle wrote:Where is Tom Curran by the way? Played in the 100.
taking a break from red ball cricket Dave

That's nice for him - is the money not good enough?

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 21 Sep 2023, 6:03 pm

Sibley with another shocking decision mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 21 Sep 2023, 9:50 pm

Nice fightback from Foakes and Overton to see us close to avoiding the follow on Fingers Crossed

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 21 Sep 2023, 10:51 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:Nice fightback from Foakes and Overton to see us close to avoiding the follow on Fingers Crossed  

Yep.

Given the position we're in now, two objectives for the morning. Firstly, avoid the follow on (should be possible and should safeguard the draw) and secondly, get up to 250 for a point (not so sure we'll do that).

Oh, and keep our fingers crossed that Hants don't implode ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 22 Sep 2023, 8:33 am

Great work by Overton and Foakes to arrest some of the slide last night, but still work to do this morning. Overton really a very very handy cricketer.

Hants have done a great job to avoid the follow on, and barring total disaster, you'd think will be ok to see out a draw at Chelmsford...but you never know against Harmer!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 22 Sep 2023, 10:48 am

Ben Foakes bat properly with the tail challenge (impossible)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 22 Sep 2023, 11:00 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Ben Foakes bat properly with the tail challenge (impossible)

taking singles off the first ball of the over while Lawes plays and misses at every other delivery Doh Rolling Eyes
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 22 Sep 2023, 11:10 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Ben Foakes bat properly with the tail challenge (impossible)

taking singles off the first ball of the over while Lawes plays and misses at every other delivery Doh Rolling Eyes

Exposes Lawes to a full Sanderson over...and he to the shock of, seemingly only Ben Foakes, nicks off. Stupid cricket
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 22 Sep 2023, 11:22 am

At the ground.
Foakes turning down singles but looking incapable of hitting a boundary.
Surely just a matter of time before we’ll all out and the follow on enforced ….

guildfordbat

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Fri 22 Sep 2023, 11:30 am

Superb batting display to follow that impressive bowling....well done lads, relying on Captain clueless to save us....and the weather and Hampshire....how did it come to this??

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 22 Sep 2023, 12:38 pm

Go slow here but understandable given the mess we’ve put ourselves in.
Meanwhile, Essex pushing for a declaration before letting Harmer loose on Hants. Maybe around 50 overs to bowl ‘em out with Hants set around 270??? Doubt Hants will go for any target given their impressive resilience yesterday to avoid the follow on.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 22 Sep 2023, 1:24 pm

Looking at the current score from Chelmsford, Essex are going to set Hants more than 270 and have more than 50 overs at ‘em. Soon be Harmer time.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 22 Sep 2023, 1:59 pm

Hants set 267 in 59. Gives. Essex a chance.
Meanwhile, here at the Oval and without too much of a jinx I trust, the draw looking nailed on with Surrey 32/0 off 28 overs. A max of 55 left. Given Surrey still trail by 140 and Northants have battled hard since the start, nearly all might be bowled.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Fri 22 Sep 2023, 2:00 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Looking at the current score from Chelmsford, Essex are going to set Hants more than 270 and have more than 50 overs at ‘em. Soon be Harmer time.

267 off 59 Guildford, less than 4.5 an over after a bit of a collapse by Essex.
Surrey occupying the crease....so far, quite tense, an Essex win takes it out of our hands!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 22 Sep 2023, 4:23 pm

anti bazball needed

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Fri 22 Sep 2023, 4:37 pm

Hampshire making a good fist of this!!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 22 Sep 2023, 4:43 pm

Dawson dropped by cook at slip. phew

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 22 Sep 2023, 5:17 pm

Hampshire teasing us

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 22 Sep 2023, 5:40 pm

Hampshire need 20 from 24 balls Fingers Crossed

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 22 Sep 2023, 5:52 pm

it's going down to the last over

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Fri 22 Sep 2023, 5:53 pm

I think that's 20 points ahead going into the last game......phew, thanks Hampshire, a brilliant effort

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 22 Sep 2023, 5:53 pm

2 off 6 balls

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down