The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2023 Ryder Cup

+10
GSC
incontinentia
pedro
TRUSSMAN66
Good Golly I'm Olly
Duty281
navyblueshorts
I'm never wrong
super_realist
McLaren
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

2023 Ryder Cup - Page 2 Empty 2023 Ryder Cup

Post by McLaren Tue 26 Sep 2023, 11:36 am

First topic message reminder :

Thought I would start a thread for discussion on this years exhibition between Europe and the USA.

Narrow European victory seems to be the most common prediction at the moment. Any decenters from that consensus on here?

It has been the case for quite a few years now but the hype around this event is such a turn off, the actual golf event is probably pretty compelling but being an extension of sky sports marketing does it no favors. Quite sad that the players and governing bodies have been caught up in this uncouth spectacle.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

2023 Ryder Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: 2023 Ryder Cup

Post by McLaren Mon 02 Oct 2023, 4:25 pm

Jas,

Last away win was 2012.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 02 Oct 2023, 4:42 pm

McLaren wrote:Jas,

Last away win was 2012.

...and?? There's only been 2 in the U.S. since, it's not an annual event Mac

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 02 Oct 2023, 8:42 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
BlueCoverman wrote:Could have done better? 2.5 points on debut and undefeated is more than acceptable I would suggest.
Yeah, undefeated. Not sure expectations could/should have been higher! Handed the US Open champion his arse in the singles as well.
OK OK. I know it's match play. But still, acc. Strokes Gained stats he was the worst player on the team.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 02 Oct 2023, 8:47 pm

JAS wrote:
McLaren wrote:Navy

However big the margin was this time we know away wins don't really happen anymore. For Europe to win at bethpage they will have to play better than recent away efforts but also execute strategy perfectly. Saturday's afternoon pairings are the obvious, if not major, issue with Luke's performance.

I think Europe would need a pretty decent lead going into the singles to win at bethpage.

Yes they do, US might not have won in Europe since 1993 but Europe have won 3/7 times  away in the same period. On paper the U.S. should spank us every time (like they used to) but they don't, Whistling Straights was an exception, a humiliating spanking yes, I think the Hazeltine score flattered them, Valhalla was a prime example of how NOT to Captain. There is NO reason why Europe should go to Bethpage bereft of any hope, of course it's possible. When was the last time the US won 3 in a row at home?
Faldo and Harrington were disasters waiting to happen. I'd like to see Luke captain again. Alternatively Rose or Bjorn. Even if they come crawling back to the ET, I don't think we'll see the LIV players captaining.

pedro

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 03 Oct 2023, 10:51 am

McLaren wrote:Navy

However big the margin was this time we know away wins don't really happen anymore. For Europe to win at bethpage they will have to play better than recent away efforts but also execute strategy perfectly. Saturday's afternoon pairings are the obvious, if not major, issue with Luke's performance.

I think Europe would need a pretty decent lead going into the singles to win at bethpage.
Agree re. away performances - always difficult. However, I don't agree w/ you re. the Saturday fourball pairings I'm afraid. Could have been all sorts of reasons for Donald's decision to 'rest' Rahm and Hatton, for example. We don't know and they still won 16.5-11.5.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 03 Oct 2023, 10:53 am

pedro wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
BlueCoverman wrote:Could have done better? 2.5 points on debut and undefeated is more than acceptable I would suggest.
Yeah, undefeated. Not sure expectations could/should have been higher! Handed the US Open champion his arse in the singles as well.
OK OK. I know it's match play. But still, acc. Strokes Gained stats he was the worst player on the team.
Utterly irrelevant. It's match play. You do what you need to do to win and that's it.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 03 Oct 2023, 11:48 am

I think Åberg and Hovland probably weren't a planned pairing for the Saturday afternoon but Donald felt like they had to go back out after hammering Scottie and Koepka. The two issues might be how creating that pairing meant the rest of the session had to be rejigged and how much of the 9&7 win was down to Brooks being a complete tool?

3 pairings with Rookies in one session didn't work at home and it certainly won't work again. But maybe Luke was playing the long game. Maybe he cashed in a potentially bigger lead going into Sunday this year to make this years Rookies as experienced as possible for Bethpage.
McLaren
McLaren

navyblueshorts likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 03 Oct 2023, 1:20 pm

Kinda damned if you do, damned if you don't.

They win by a record and don't get picked, the captain gets questioned for not picking them if another pairing loses
GSC
GSC

pedro, navyblueshorts, BlueCoverman and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 04 Oct 2023, 12:21 am

McLaren wrote:I think Åberg and Hovland probably weren't a planned pairing for the Saturday afternoon but Donald felt like they had to go back out after hammering Scottie and Koepka. The two issues might be how creating that pairing meant the rest of the session had to be rejigged and how much of the 9&7 win was down to Brooks being a complete tool?
Completely agree that he felt he had to put those two out again.

McLaren wrote:
3 pairings with Rookies in one session didn't work at home and it certainly won't work again. But maybe Luke was playing the long game. Maybe he cashed in a potentially bigger lead going into Sunday this year to make this years Rookies as experienced as possible for Bethpage.
No, I don’t think he was thinking about Bethpage. Hojgaard, Åberg, Fat Bob and Straka might even be a flash in the pan, too early to say.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 04 Oct 2023, 11:25 am

I definitely think the Hojgaard selection overall was with an eye to future Ryder Cups, and him having "the potential" to make a leap to being a top 10 player in the world by the time 2025 rolls around. I noticed Rasmus was on site and part of the wider team room also this week, suspect he was in and around it with a similar view. Of course, whether they go onto fulfil such potential is another matter...but be awful handy if they could for Bethpage!

Personally I was quite disappointed by Fitzpatrick again - yes he got off to that incredible start on his first 6 holes in fourballs on Friday afternoon, but he was really not good on the Saturday and then played very poorly on Sunday in singles (particularly on the back nine). He's a golfer I can't quite work out if he is in fact really really good but just loses concentration/his head a bit from time to time, or if he's just made a lot out of little natural ability
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 04 Oct 2023, 4:29 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:...Personally I was quite disappointed by Fitzpatrick again - yes he got off to that incredible start on his first 6 holes in fourballs on Friday afternoon, but he was really not good on the Saturday and then played very poorly on Sunday in singles (particularly on the back nine). He's a golfer I can't quite work out if he is in fact really really good but just loses concentration/his head a bit from time to time, or if he's just made a lot out of little natural ability
Glad it wasn't just me with those sort of thoughts. I thought he was pretty awful on Sunday, in particular. Time will tell re. whether his US Open win was just a short hot spot; bit like McDowell. I'm not at all convinced about his swing either, but clearly he's pretty good, else he wouldn't be where he is.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 05 Oct 2023, 8:39 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:...Personally I was quite disappointed by Fitzpatrick again - yes he got off to that incredible start on his first 6 holes in fourballs on Friday afternoon, but he was really not good on the Saturday and then played very poorly on Sunday in singles (particularly on the back nine). He's a golfer I can't quite work out if he is in fact really really good but just loses concentration/his head a bit from time to time, or if he's just made a lot out of little natural ability
Glad it wasn't just me with those sort of thoughts. I thought he was pretty awful on Sunday, in particular. Time will tell re. whether his US Open win was just a short hot spot; bit like McDowell. I'm not at all convinced about his swing either, but clearly he's pretty good, else he wouldn't be where he is.

He was disappointing on Sunday yes. He could go either way for me, he could win 2-3 more Majors or maybe he's already peaked, who knows. I do think he benefits from the best caddie on tour, how much? who knows?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 05 Oct 2023, 12:01 pm

He won't win 2-3 more majors.

Remember this is the guy who only lasted a few weeks away from home before quitting uni. Not exactly a killer mentality. Also has a slight school shooter vibe about him.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 05 Oct 2023, 6:19 pm

McLaren wrote:He won't win 2-3 more majors.

Remember this is the guy who only lasted a few weeks away from home before quitting uni. Not exactly a killer mentality. Also has a slight school shooter vibe about him.

Wtf is that got to do with anything, you name yourself after a super car but travel on an effin bus!!

JAS

pedro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 06 Oct 2023, 10:33 am

JAS wrote:
McLaren wrote:He won't win 2-3 more majors.

Wtf is that got to do with anything, you name yourself after a super car but travel on an effin bus!!
Laugh
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 09 Oct 2023, 9:35 am

LadyPutt wrote:What a result! And a great win (2 and a half points in all) from “fat” Bob. Can’t express how disrespectful I find that comment thumbsdown
Why? He is fat, just like Fat Shane is fat, and Fat Sepp. 
These guys have no excuse to be put of shape.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 09 Oct 2023, 9:53 am

super_realist wrote:
LadyPutt wrote:What a result! And a great win (2 and a half points in all) from “fat” Bob. Can’t express how disrespectful I find that comment thumbsdown
It's interesting that you go out of your way to identify people via pejoratives. Seems to be your first port of call. Your prerogative, but it's a curious approach to life.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 09 Oct 2023, 9:57 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
super_realist wrote:
It's interesting that you go out of your way to identify people via pejoratives. Seems to be your first port of call. Your prerogative, but it's a curious approach to life.

Are we supposed to glorify obesity instead?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 09 Oct 2023, 12:22 pm

Hatgate takes another turn. Seems like maybe there was something to Jamie Weirs story.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 10 Oct 2023, 3:04 pm

super_realist wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Headscratch Who said anything about glorifying it? Not sure on Lowry, but obesity has a clinical definition re. BMI and I'm not sure MacIntyre even fits the bill there.

The point is that you can easily identify Lowry or MacIntyre simply by their names (that's what they're for, after all). I find it odd that someone would choose to identify someone, as their first option, by some part of their appearance that they don't like. Why? If the conversation was specifically about BMI in golfers, I could at least understand the references to those players as part of that, even if I don't necessarily get the need to reference them using deliberate pejoratives. The conversation is almost never about that, though, is it?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 10 Oct 2023, 3:10 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
super_realist wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Headscratch Who said anything about glorifying it? Not sure on Lowry, but obesity has a clinical definition re. BMI and I'm not sure MacIntyre even fits the bill there.

The point is that you can easily identify Lowry or MacIntyre simply by their names (that's what they're for, after all). I find it odd that someone would choose to identify someone, as their first option, by some part of their appearance that they don't like. Why? If the conversation was specifically about BMI in golfers, I could at least understand the references to those players as part of that, even if I don't necessarily get the need to reference them using deliberate pejoratives. The conversation is almost never about that, though, is it?

Of I talk about golfers being fat as an inhibitor to career longevity or professionalism you have a go at me anyway.
So what does it matter?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 29 Nov 2023, 4:04 pm

Luke Donald named captain for 2025 Ryder Cup. HERE

I'm never wrong

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 30 Nov 2023, 5:49 am

I didn't think Donald would be very good, but I'm glad he got it again. Ryder Cup 2023 was superb.
Difficult going to the States though and I'd rather it was him than someone with no experience, especially given that LIV has taken out many of the next in line for captaincy.
Presumably it will be Rose the next time it's in Europe.

super_realist

LadyPutt and navyblueshorts like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu 30 Nov 2023, 8:44 am

super_realist wrote:I didn't think Donald would be very good, but I'm glad he got it again. Ryder Cup 2023 was superb.
Difficult going to the States though and I'd rather it was him than someone with no experience, especially given that LIV has taken out many of the next in line for captaincy.
Presumably it will be Rose the next time it's in Europe.
So glad he’s agreed to do it again in the melting pot that’s Bethpage Black. It will need someone with a cool head and lots of experience  - especially if a certain Mr Woods is the opposing captain. Rose would be a definite candidate for 2027, given that he’s a certainty as VC to Luke. I don’t think the LIV defectors will be missed to be honest. There’s plenty of good candidates waiting in the wings - the Molinari brothers for a start. That takes us to 2031.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 30 Nov 2023, 12:28 pm

Woods would be a dreadful Captain.
He doesn't care about the Ryder Cup, and he isn't bright enough.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 01 Dec 2023, 11:31 am

super_realist wrote:Woods would be a dreadful Captain.

Source for evidence of Woods not being bright? I mean Stanford just lets in any old thickos don't they

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Fri 01 Dec 2023, 12:19 pm

JAS wrote:

Source for evidence of Woods not being bright? I mean Stanford just lets in any old thickos don't they

They probably do if they're as good at golf as Woods was at that age.

ralphjohn69

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 01 Dec 2023, 1:44 pm

Might have to cope without rahm. Or will LIV guys be eligible by then?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 03 Dec 2023, 9:42 am

JAS wrote:

American Universities let in anyone who has sporting talent. How can't you know that?

Have you ever heard Woods speak? He's not remotely articulate. He never says anything spontaneous. Everything is coached and predictable. His press conferences are stage managed to the millimeter.
This is a man so stupid that he's crashed a car twice, so stupid he thought he could get away banging everything that moved, so stupid that his exercise regime has curtailed his career.
Shall we go on?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 04 Dec 2023, 10:48 am

Super

I don't understand why you persist with the idea that woods isn't bright. I get that you don't agree with some of his life choices and you probably consciously or unconsciously don't associate black people with high intelligence, but all the evidence we have about Tigers intelligence suggests he was academically quite capable. Numerous sources from his school and university days talk about him being a pretty intelligent guy.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 05 Dec 2023, 6:34 am

So let me get this right…we’re talking about a man who has gone to one of his country’s great universities. Who has earned more money than all of us on here put together and then some. Who has bedded a string of beautiful women, who has excelled at the sport he loves….but he must be thick as mince because….bad life choices and/momentary lapses of concentration? Ok

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 05 Dec 2023, 9:56 am

McLaren wrote:Might have to cope without rahm. Or will LIV guys be eligible by then?

Weren't LIV guys eligible anyways? Just none to pick from the Euro side this time?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 05 Dec 2023, 1:30 pm

Eligible? Formally, I think so. Would you want them for their lovely interest in the team dynamic, though? I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

As for Rahm, I couldn't care less if he jumped - certainly no surprise as money trumps everything in too many of their books. Excellent player though he is, there'll be others to fill his shoes and I won't have to watch his bad temper anymore.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 05 Dec 2023, 3:10 pm

I thought you had to be an ET member to play for European RC team.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 06 Dec 2023, 1:26 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
McLaren wrote:Might have to cope without rahm. Or will LIV guys be eligible by then?

Weren't LIV guys eligible anyways? Just none to pick from the Euro side this time?

No, they were expressly banned from being eligible. All EU players have to be DP World Tour members.

super_realist

LadyPutt and navyblueshorts like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 07 Dec 2023, 1:00 pm

McLaren wrote:I thought you had to be an ET member to play for European RC team.
True. Forgot that.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 08 Dec 2023, 7:11 am

Confirmed he’s jumped then….but clearly stating “it’s not about the money”. Of course it is Jon FFS, why can’t you just be honest a) with yourself and b) with everybody else.

JAS

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 08 Dec 2023, 11:37 am

JAS wrote:Confirmed he’s jumped then….but clearly stating “it’s not about the money”. Of course it is Jon FFS, why can’t you just be honest a) with yourself and b) with everybody else.
Quite. PoS. McIlroy is now banging on about how the Ryder Cup selection criteria will now have to change - no, they won't, Europe will just have to do w/o another Judas. At least, that's what should happen...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2