The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

+27
Heaf
Duty281
carpet baboon
Collapse2005
Morgan75
doctor_grey
No 7&1/2
geoff999rugby
Recwatcher16
Mcsweens
formerly known as Sam
Luckless Pedestrian
mountain man
TAFKA The Oracle
EWT Spoons
mikey_dragon
Hazel Sapling
George Carlin
Oakdene
jimbopip
RDW
NeilyBroon
Tramptastic
BigGee
TJ
RiscaGame
bsando
31 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  - Page 3 Empty Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by bsando Sun 28 Jan 2024 - 6:49

First topic message reminder :

The Wales vs Scotland
The Doddie Weir Cup

Round One
3rd of February, 2024
Millenium Stadium, Cardiff
Kick Off 16:45

Referee: Ben O’Keeffe (NZ)
ARs: James Doleman (NZ) & Angus Mabey (NZ)
TMO: Brendon Pickerill (NZ)

TV Coverage on BBC 1
SC4
RTÉ (ROI)

Teams

Wales

Winnett; Dyer, Watkin, Tompkins, Adams; Costelow, G Davies; Domachowski, Elias, Brown, D Jenkins (capt), Beard, Botham, Reffell, Wainwright.

Replacements:Dee, Mathias, Assiratti, Teddy Williams, Mann, Tomos Williams, I Lloyd, Grady.

Scotland

Rowe, Steyn, Jones, Tuipulotu, Van der Merwe, Russell, White; Schoeman, Turner, Z Fagerson, R Gray, Cummings, Crosbie, Ritchie, M Fagerson.

Replacements: Ashman, Hepburn, Millar-Mills, Skinner, Dempsey, Horne, Healy, Redpath.

Last edited by bsando on Thu 1 Feb 2024 - 15:10; edited 2 times in total

bsando

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  - Page 3 Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 17:05

This Wales team looks poor. The 6 and 7 look like amateurs, Watkin anonymous but I alluded to all this when the team was announced. I think Costelow is struggling a bit, perhaps unsurprising.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  - Page 3 Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 17:10

That’s pathetic from Adams. Does he know the basic rules?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 17:12

Wales need to get on top of this ref, I.e. heed the things he’s pinging them for. Stupid penalties, offsides, dissent, etc. Eejits.

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 17:13

Fin being very conservative here

Thought we would have gone to the corner

Still another 3 pts

13-0 Scotland

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 17:21

What a try

Duhan breaks his duck againgst Wales!

20 -0 Scotland

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 17:23

Botham is shocking at this level. He was more of the same when Pivac picked him.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 17:30

Costelow hooked, was he injured? I missed it. He was struggling but he doesn’t have options, Watkin and Botham are too average. I think Lloyd is the better player though.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 17:33

mikey_dragon wrote:Costelow hooked, was he injured? I missed it. He was struggling but he doesn’t have options, Watkin and Botham are too average. I think Lloyd is the better player though.

Got a head injury from a high hit that wasn’t deemed to be illegal.

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 17:33

mikey_dragon wrote:Costelow hooked, was he injured? I missed it. He was struggling but he doesn’t have options, Watkin and Botham are too average. I think Lloyd is the better player though.

HIA in the ruck

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 17:34

No offence Scotland, but this has got to be one of THE worst Welsh teams EVER. We can’t even kick for touch!

TAFKA The Oracle

mikey_dragon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 17:34

TAFKA The Oracle wrote:

Probably because it was not a high hit!

Bent at the waist and wrapping, just a rugby incident unfortunately for Cotesloe

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Gicater likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 17:35

Why aren't Wales kicking for goal? They've turned a couple of very kickable ones down to go for the corner in very optimistic fashion.

Tommy Reffell is pretty much keeping them in it with his turnovers.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 17:36

formerly known as Sam wrote:Why aren't Wales kicking for goal? They've turned a couple of very kickable ones down to go for the corner in very optimistic fashion.

Only 1 kick to the corner wasn’t it?? The one that was overthrown to Wainwright??

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 17:37

formerly known as Sam wrote:Why aren't Wales kicking for goal? They've turned a couple of very kickable ones down to go for the corner in very optimistic fashion.

Agreed Reffell is a one man team atm

Would be game over by now but for him, he is playing really well

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 17:37

Wales can’t kick for goal because they don’t have a reliable kicker. If Scotland keep playing their game they should go away with a bonus point win and so far all they’ve had to do is turn up…

Has to be proof that Gatland is finished? If the squad selection and then the team selection wasn’t proof…

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 17:41

Just saw the halftime stats and they don't scream out domination by Scotland. Yet, the boys in blue looked to me to have the upper hand almost throughout. Which goes to show one can do whatever one wants with stats. Stats without context is dangerous.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 17:42

BigGee wrote:
TAFKA The Oracle wrote:

Bent at the waist and wrapping, just a rugby incident unfortunately for Cotesloe

How is a head shot anything other than a high hit??? I agree with the ref’s ruling, but what else can I call it? There is literally nothing higher than a head on a human, so what is a head shot if not a ‘high hit’.

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 17:43

Scotland are just controlling the game brilliantly

Russell is being the conductor instead of the magician tonight

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 17:44

doctor_grey wrote:Just saw the halftime stats and they don't scream out domination by Scotland.  Yet, the boys in blue looked to me to have the upper hand almost throughout.  Which goes to show one can do whatever one wants with stats.  Stats without context is dangerous.    

It’s because Wales have had plenty of ball but have: knocked on about 8 times; messed up numerous lineouts; been offside about 6 times; chosen to chase the game via lineout penalties rather than kicks for goal (albeit onto 6 points worth i think). Scotland much more clinical. Wales very poor at the basics and very wasteful.

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 17:46

TAFKA The Oracle wrote:
BigGee wrote:
TAFKA The Oracle wrote:

How is a head shot anything other than a high hit??? I agree with the ref’s ruling, but what else can I call it? There is literally nothing higher than a head on a human, so what is a head shot if not a ‘high hit’.

Hmm, clutching at straws here I think

It was not high because both were bent low.

It was a perfectly legal clearout thst unfortunately caught his head. These things do happen in rugby, sometimes unavoidable.

For refs, to give the sanction for stuff like that is actually the easy option these days. Fair pkay to the officials for making the right call

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Gicater likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 17:51

I do worry that if Wales achieve basic levels of competence this match could look very different.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 17:52

Give it to Duhan!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 17:53

Or Scotland score early and it's all over.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgan75 Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 17:53

What exactly does Adam Beard bring to Wales? I can’t remember the last time he actually won a line out.
I give in - our kicking has been junior school grade level 🤦‍�

Morgan75

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 17:54

BigGee wrote:
TAFKA The Oracle wrote:
BigGee wrote:
TAFKA The Oracle wrote:

Hmm, clutching at straws here I think

It was not high because both were bent low.

It was a perfectly legal clearout thst unfortunately caught his head. These things do happen in rugby, sometimes unavoidable.

For refs, to give the sanction for stuff like that is actually the easy option these days. Fair pkay to the officials for making the right call

As long as head hits/shots/shoulder to heads (insert your chosen phrase here BigGee, if ‘high hit’ is incorrect terminology) are reffed consistently I think we’ll all be happy. We know they’re not though, sadly.

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 17:57

C’ mon Wales! Much better. Turner in the bin. Good call.

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 17:57

Try for Wales and a card for Turner

I think he has worn out the ref with his constant moaning

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Gicater likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 17:59

BigGee wrote:Try for Wales and a card for Turner

I think he has worn out the ref with his constant moaning

It was as blatant a sacking of the maul as you'll see.

formerly known as Sam

doctor_grey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 17:59

Jenkins to the back row (I think) with Williams on at lock. Much better for me.

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 18:00

Now that one was a high shot!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 18:01

BigGee wrote:Now that one was a high shot!

Lower than his head!

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 18:04

Wales subs seem to have lifted our pace and intensity.

Yes Rioooooooooo!

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 18:21

Scotland imploding! How?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 18:21

Jees this is an awful second half for Scotland, where is their leadership?

Last edited by Collapse2005 on Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 18:22; edited 1 time in total

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 18:22

TAFKA The Oracle wrote:Jenkins to the back row (I think) with Williams on at lock. Much better for me.

Is that the change? I know Mann is on and just scored. Dealing with a difficult 1 year old so I might need to rewatch later.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 18:23

mikey_dragon wrote:
TAFKA The Oracle wrote:Jenkins to the back row (I think) with Williams on at lock. Much better for me.

Is that the change? I know Mann is on and just scored. Dealing with a difficult 1 year old so I might need to rewatch later.

Not sure. Just saw Teddy Williams come on so assumed he was on at lock. And Beard was still on.

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 18:23

mikey_dragon wrote:

Not sure. Just saw Teddy Williams come on so assumed he was on at lock. And Beard was still on.

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 18:24

Collapse2005 wrote:Jees this is an awful second half for Scotland, where is their leadership?

They've imploded spectacularly and are so far on the wrong side of the ref they are getting nothing. Now the Welsh crowd is bouncing it's going to be tough for them.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 18:26

Yellow card for the Wales prop here, probably.

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 18:27

TAFKA The Oracle wrote:Yellow card for the Wales prop here, probably.

No attempt to wrap, just dropped the shoulder in there. TMO doesn't seem interested.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 18:33

It's been 4 different teams out there

carpet baboon

Unclear likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 18:35

I think the game is gone now with that forward pass from Wales. But even if we lose I’m immensely proud of the 2nd half effort.

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 18:39

Rio Dyer's leg to the rescue.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 18:40

Wales like these first round SN comebacks, don't they? Recall the one against Ireland in 2013, where they came up short just like here, and the one in France in 2019, where they did win.

Great second half. Scotland not exactly bouncing into next week.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 18:41

Congrats Scotland. What a game! The proverbial game of two halves!

So many young players out there for Wales. Gutted but expected to lose before the game. Great character shown. Subs made all the difference. Tomos Williams my mom for Wales off the bench.

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 18:43

Well that turned out to be interesting - thought they were going to get a high tackle pen to potentially win it but ref said the contact was on the ball. Scotland will be relieved but also disappointed to not get the try BP after going 27 nil up.

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 18:43

Well, I guess in the context of the last 22 years, we should be pleased

It seems a bit hollow though

Well done Wales on a great comeback.

Luckily we rememberrd how to play in the last 5 mins.

We have been on the wrong end of a lot of games like that over the years. It is a tough one to lose!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Gicater likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 18:44

I think Scotland switched off at 27-0. The first Wales try really came out of nowhere and suddenly Scotland are a man down and Wales are throwing the kitchen sink at it.
All credit to Wales but you don't win international matches playing for 30 minutes.
NB Scotland must write out 100 times " Matches last longer than 48 minutes "

jimbopip

Gicater likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 18:45

An odd game but an exciting finish. Scotland showing both sides of the Jekyll and Hyde act. I think Finn is a magnificent player but maybe not the best bet as skipper for this team.

When Jac Morgan returns, I really hope they use Reffell and Morgan in tandem. Two fantastic players.

On the first round this is Ireland's Grand Slam to lose. They were comfortably ahead of France who should be their toughest opponent.

I can see the other 5 teams taking wins off each other though. France without Dupont and Ntamack weren't quite the same team and they will likely continue blooding the likes of Le Garrec, Tuilagi and LBB.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 18:46

Ioan Lloyd’s missed conversion (the first try I think) looking pretty costly now! Those 2 extra points would have won it!

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next