The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who’s the Next ‘ The Man’ at Heavyweight ?

3 posters

Go down

Who’s the Next ‘ The Man’ at Heavyweight ? Empty Who’s the Next ‘ The Man’ at Heavyweight ?

Post by Derek Smalls Mon 11 Mar 2024, 8:02 pm

I think I might have heard about a new prospect once in the last year-can anyone shed any light on an upcoming talent?
Fury-is basically one fight and out: Joshua is most likely less than five fights and out: Usyk likewise. Maybe fewer. Parker knows he’s not quite the full package, Joyce and Zhang are out of the picture.

Hergovic, well my jury is still out, but let’s face it he’s probably a third tier HW champ if he does ever string a few wins together at the IBF. To be honest I can see ole Dubious nicking a short run against a bunch of nobodies simply because the pool seems so weak. And a few months ago, here, I stated I didn’t think he was even in the top twenty in the world before his last fight.

I’d love for there to a new hope in the division.
Derek Smalls
Derek Smalls

Back to top Go down

Who’s the Next ‘ The Man’ at Heavyweight ? Empty Re: Who’s the Next ‘ The Man’ at Heavyweight ?

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 12 Mar 2024, 9:14 am

I do fear we might be heading back to another bad lull in the Heavyweight division, akin to those dark and dreary days of c. 2004-2008.

I'm not sure I see a really top talent, or a charismatic and marketable operator, who'll warrant the powers that be and the fans throwing their support behind them. I think Frank Sanchez looks the most talented potentially. He's already the wrong side of 30, mind you, albeit that doesn't matter too much for the modern-day Heavyweight.

Outside of Sanchez, Jalolov is developing fairly well. Very dependent on his straight left and, by the looks of things, maybe his chin as well. We'll see how far those two factors can carry him.

One thing I am sure of, though, is that Jared Anderson will be brought back down to Earth with an almighty bump and prove to be a false dawn for the States. I have severe reservations about him and his supposed heir apparent status.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Who’s the Next ‘ The Man’ at Heavyweight ? Empty Re: Who’s the Next ‘ The Man’ at Heavyweight ?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 12 Mar 2024, 11:25 am

It's a low bar but I'm not sure you need to be "That Good"........So my hope is Amateur star turned 8-0 (8) Heavy Richard Torres jr can pull up trees.....

Not big at 6ft 2 and 230........But he's a pressure fighter, a southpaw and he can bang and he is only 24....Bagged a silver in 2020 but I think he has improved.

Certainly dominated the amateur scene in the US.

Sure he's raw and needs to learn how to move his head a bit more.....But he has faster hands than the current heavies...

Sure I'd pick a Holy,  Lewis and Bowe to give him nightmares and Mike Tyson to kill him...But I'd have picked all them to destroy Wlad easily....

As I said it is a low bar..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derek Smalls Tue 12 Mar 2024, 5:43 pm

I have only heard of Jared Anderson from the above names, I got excited hearing about Torres in case he was related to that superb light middle and then light heavy Jose Torres. But he spells his name with a Z !
Derek Smalls
Derek Smalls

Back to top Go down

Post by Derek Smalls Fri 22 Mar 2024, 1:25 am

Just done a deep dive into the Frank Sanchez career. He’s a likeable heavy, but not only is he “the wrong side of 30” he looks even older-suspect it’s that Cuban habit of either looking ancient or they age in dogyears or they’re simply lying to prolong their career.

The WBC has ordered he fight Agit Kabayel. That does sound like a very good match up and although he is clearly not ready to challenge Fury yet I would like to see him fight,say, Andy Ruiz or Parker, someone whose not a knackered “gatekeeper” but someone who could provide a good litmus test as to where is is right now.
Derek Smalls
Derek Smalls

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down