The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Toonie - what next?

+9
Recwatcher16
Poorfour
formerly known as Sam
Highland Shaun
Anglobraveheart
Boston Exile
tigertattie
bsando
NeilyBroon
13 posters

Go down

Toonie - what next? Empty Toonie - what next?

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 13 Mar 2024, 10:44 am

I created a separate thread so we can discuss without boring the pants off of everyone in the other threads.

This might get busier after Saturday!

NeilyBroon

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Toonie - what next? Empty Re: Toonie - what next?

Post by bsando Wed 13 Mar 2024, 12:20 pm

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/scotland-held-hard-hitting-review-of-crushing-defeat-steve-tandy/

Tandy speaks really well in this article. Saying everything I think fans would hope to hear from Toonie himself.

bsando

NeilyBroon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 13 Mar 2024, 1:05 pm

My question is still if not Toonie then who???

Absolutely zero point in sacking a manager if we’re going to get a lesser replacement. Also please remember that the SRU policy where possible is to recruit from within
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 13 Mar 2024, 1:25 pm

tigertattie wrote:My question is still if not Toonie then who???

Absolutely zero point in sacking a manager if we’re going to get a lesser replacement. Also please remember that the SRU policy where possible is to recruit from within

I'd argue there's also zero point of keeping a coach on who is not progressing the team's development.

The SRU would be very foolish to only look within (word on the grapevine is they've reached out to folks like Leon MacDonald etc). We could ask this question every time we need to replace a head coach. We were asking who would be remotely good for us after Robinson, Hadden it was a fairly obvious promotion but now we're considerably better it is a much more difficult question.

We should be looking across the channel at the pro14 coaches in my opinion, as well as some super rugby coaches. Franco Smith has made a good case for himself at Glasgow if we're talking internal recruitment, Tandy could be promoted and given autonomy over the coaching set up, or could be made interim on a trial basis.

There's always options, and better now than in two years' time. This is a problem we're only making harder.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 13 Mar 2024, 1:29 pm

Or, left field idea, hire Richie Gray as head coach through his consultancy on a 6 month/year contract, see how he goes with a mind to renew if it's all peachy.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Boston Exile Wed 13 Mar 2024, 3:06 pm

I would hope being better at a higher world ranking and offering a strong squad of players might make us more attractive than say 12 years ago. Would be an idea for someone to tour the top teams in France/SA/NZ to identify who might fit the bill and then pose the possibility.

I liked Townsend very much as a player and hope he goes on to great success. He was an attack coach who was learning how to become a Head Coach on the job. Felt even at the time (2017?) he should have left to develop elsewhere (T14 perhaps). Not sure the decisions made than were best for Scotland or him. I'll temper that though with he was far better than Hadden and especially Williams (or whatever that know it all Ozzie guy was called).

Boston Exile

sensisball and NeilyBroon like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 13 Mar 2024, 3:57 pm

Boston Exile wrote:I would hope being better at a higher world ranking and offering a strong squad of players might make us more attractive than say 12 years ago.  Would be an idea for someone to tour the top teams in France/SA/NZ to identify who might fit the bill and then pose the possibility.

I liked Townsend very much as a player and hope he goes on to great success.  He was an attack coach who was learning how to become a Head Coach on the job.  Felt even at the time (2017?) he should have left to develop elsewhere (T14 perhaps).  Not sure the decisions made than were best for Scotland or him.  I'll temper that though with he was far better than Hadden and especially Williams (or whatever that know it all Ozzie guy was called).

The one thing I'd say for Scott Johnson is that his press conferences were always entertaining. Like Eddie Jones but without any successes to back it.

That being said he was key in getting vern cotter over apparently.

I don't expect we'll get Robertson to give up his all blacks contract for an opportunity to coach Scotland but I do agree that we are an attractive proposition, playing in one of the biggest international tournaments in world rugby. An ambitious coach would definitely give it thought at the very least.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Boston Exile Wed 13 Mar 2024, 5:14 pm

It was Matt Williams I was thinking of, but not a fan of Scott Johnston, just didn't come across as trustworthy (maybe he was but didn't know him personally).

Feels a bit of a backward step to look at Cotter or even Rennie (who was talented yet hit and miss for Glasgow) but wouldn't write either off.

Boston Exile

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 13 Mar 2024, 6:11 pm

Boston Exile wrote:It was Matt Williams I was thinking of, but not a fan of Scott Johnston, just didn't come across as trustworthy (maybe he was but didn't know him personally).

Feels a bit of a backward step to look at Cotter or even Rennie (who was talented yet hit and miss for Glasgow) but wouldn't write either off.

Agreed, I don't think having cotter back at this stage would work. Need a fresh perspective completely and someone who most importantly gets full buy in from the players.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 13 Mar 2024, 6:22 pm

Clayton McMillan is one name I think might be a good fit for Scotland. He’s coaching at the top level of club rugby in NZ while also having been a coach with the Māori All Blacks and All Blacks XV. Notably, Leon McDonald and Scott Hansen have both become AB’s assistants. Jason Ryan is the AB’s forwards coach, therefore there was no need for McMillan. He is one to watch given his CV. 

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/opinion/131783608/why-clayton-mcmillan-shapes-as-new-zealand-rugbys-big-coaching-riddle

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Wed 13 Mar 2024, 11:16 pm

Feels a bit of a backward step to look at Cotter or even Rennie (who was talented yet hit and miss for Glasgow) but wouldn't write either off.[/quote]

Cotter would do a good job, but won't be back.
Rennie was a complete maniac. I don't want to see him anywhere near any rugby team ever again, never mind Scotland.
If we got Rennie back, it would be the end of us. His man-management is abysmal.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 13 Mar 2024, 11:17 pm

Cotter would be a great coach for us again but he’d never come back after the way the SRU shafted him.

And thus my point remains. After knifing cotter in the back and then threatening to sue Japan/World Rugby after a devastating typhoon we’re not exactly the most favourable nations to work with. Coupled with our perpetual ability to fall short of our potential we’re also a very risky option
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Wed 13 Mar 2024, 11:38 pm

As I said the other day on the other thread, I really don't see the point in sacking Gregor YET but on the other hand, I also don't see the point in keeping him on if he isn't going to get the next world cup so I'm kinda torn now because I can see the benefit of getting in a new coach at least 3yrs before the next world cup, however I don't think it would be fair on Gregor, unless the SRU come to the conclusion that 2/5 is not acceptable for us anymore (and it's possible that this McGuigan fella may think this btw) and act in order to give the new manager a few years to get his own ideas/game style implemented and also to get to know the players and vice versa.

I still think Leo Cullen is a good shout but I personally would take either Franco Smith or Clayton McMillan (another good shout btw so kudos to the poster touting him thumbsup) seeing as my outright first choice has only taken on the Hurricanes job 😜.

As was mentioned in the OP, I can see this thread becoming very active with opinions/debate come the start of next week unfortunately 😕.

Either way, I will back the SRU with what they decide but if they did pull the trigger then my worry would then be about how they'd go about the recruitment process for GT's replacement because I'm fairly certain they'd only look to the URC and potentially the Gallagher Premiership, totally ignoring the Super rugby etc 🤔.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 13 Mar 2024, 11:43 pm

Cullen is a good coach but I think he’ll be a Leinster until Farrell moves on and Cullen takes over the Ireland job.
tigertattie
tigertattie

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 14 Mar 2024, 7:01 am

tigertattie wrote:Cotter would be a great coach for us again but he’d never come back after the way the SRU shafted him.

And thus my point remains. After knifing cotter in the back and then threatening to sue Japan/World Rugby after a devastating typhoon we’re not exactly the most favourable nations to work with. Coupled with our perpetual ability to fall short of our potential we’re also a very risky option
The flip side to that is the SRU keeping Toonie on for 7+ years despite not winning any 6N or making a QF. The bar is fairly low in comparison to other 6N sides like England for example, that would expect more from their head coach. If I were applying for the job I would feel that it would be a good opportunity to earn a good salary while not having to win a major trophy instantly. There is an expectation for improvement but no Scotland fan would expect any new coach to win the six nations or make a rugby World Cup final in three years time.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu 14 Mar 2024, 7:57 am

bsando wrote:
tigertattie wrote:Cotter would be a great coach for us again but he’d never come back after the way the SRU shafted him.

The flip side to that is the SRU keeping Toonie on for 7+ years despite not winning any 6N or making a QF. The bar is fairly low in comparison to other 6N sides like England for example, that would expect more from their head coach. If I were applying for the job I would feel that it would be a good opportunity to earn a good salary while not having to win a major trophy instantly. There is an expectation for improvement but no Scotland fan would expect any new coach to win the six nations or make a rugby World Cup final in three years time.

^ this.

We all said the same post-Andy Robinson that no-one would touch us with a barge pole, and we managed to secure one of the best up and coming coaches at the time.

It's like any job, sometimes the company hasn't got the best cultural reputation but the opportunity is good enough that you pinch your nose and just go for it to give yourself a platform to move up from.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 14 Mar 2024, 8:01 am

Scotland have come a long way under Townsend and are playing some very good rugby. There are some areas that aren't great in terms of their play. Defence would be one of those. Line speed isn't particularly urgent and it does tend to leave Scotland taking numerous phases of punishment until one of their opensides can be a menace. Replacing Tandy with someone who could coach a blitz defence using the speed in the Scottish backs to cut off the wider options and funnel the opposition into the space where the openside(s) are operating would seem more logical. Would possibly help Scotland tiring as games go on if they are having to defend less phases.

formerly known as Sam

jimbopip likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 14 Mar 2024, 10:19 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Scotland have come a long way under Townsend and are playing some very good rugby. There are some areas that aren't great in terms of their play. Defence would be one of those. Line speed isn't particularly urgent and it does tend to leave Scotland taking numerous phases of punishment until one of their opensides can be a menace. Replacing Tandy with someone who could coach a blitz defence using the speed in the Scottish backs to cut off the wider options and funnel the opposition into the space where the openside(s) are operating would seem more logical. Would possibly help Scotland tiring as games go on if they are having to defend less phases.
Our last defence coach operated in that way. It’s not always the best way to defend in my opinion. You have to be accurate otherwise you leave gaps for backs to exploit. Pros and cons. Tandy is a strong defence coach, best Scotland have had in the pro era.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu 14 Mar 2024, 10:36 am

As a sort of neutral (I would have qualified for Scotland through my grandfather had I actually been good at rugby), I would say that the continuity under Toonie has broadly been good for the team.

Objectively, Scotland is in a better place today than it has been for many years, especially given the SRU's relative lack of funds and the comparatively limited pool of players.

The challenge is that other nations have also improved and in particular traditionally weaker nations - like Italy - are beginning to see the benefits of their own investment in systems and player/coach pipeline.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Recwatcher16 Thu 14 Mar 2024, 1:53 pm

Also as a sort of neutral, but with a Scottish wife....
Those clamouring for a management replacement should consider the wider context.
The majority of the squad have not come through the scottish pathway but as deemed surplus (not good enough ?) to club/test requirements from their original start in the game have subsequently qualified for Scotland. So surely Townsend has done a pretty terrific job to get those players to test standard and produce a competitive, if inconsistent, national side.
I would guess the only player who would have chosen Scotland over an opportunity in their original rugby nation would be Redpath.
Scottish fans should be careful what they wish for and the real investment should be in the Scottish pathway for the next generation rather than rely on luck and spotting a disgruntled player with a Scottish grandparent.

Recwatcher16

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 14 Mar 2024, 1:57 pm

tigertattie wrote:Cullen is a good coach but I think he’ll be a Leinster until Farrell moves on and Cullen takes over the Ireland job.

I'd be really surprised if ROG isn't the next Ireland coach. In fact, I'm half expecting ROG to work with Farrell in some regard with the Lions, then take over the Ireland gig after the 2027 RWC.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu 14 Mar 2024, 5:30 pm

Recwatcher16 wrote:Also as a sort of neutral, but with a Scottish wife....
Those clamouring for a management replacement should consider the wider context.
The majority of the squad have not come through the scottish pathway but as deemed surplus (not good enough ?) to club/test requirements from their original start in the game have subsequently qualified for Scotland. So surely Townsend has done a pretty terrific job to get those players to test standard and produce a competitive, if inconsistent, national side.
I would guess the only player who would have chosen Scotland over an opportunity in their original rugby nation would be Redpath.
Scottish fans should be careful what they wish for and the real investment should be in the Scottish pathway for the next generation rather than rely on luck and spotting a disgruntled player with a Scottish grandparent.

Don't disagree with you RE youth pathways but you can want both changing at the same time. Jim mallinder tried and failed to put things in place while he was player pathway manager.

Regarding players who aren't good enough disgruntled etc, this may be true for some but many of our key players, Russell, Fagerson, Turner, kinghorn, Ritchie, Fagerson Jr, Darge, Graham came through the Scottish system. Players like Steyn made a choice to play for Scotland quite young, and to be fair he has a Scottish mother.

Having played when I was younger (poorly) I'd have gone through the English system predominantly if I was ever good enough. But would I plump for Scotland if they phoned me? Absolutely. Players like Hamish Watson, Ali price etc all started that way.

I don't think it's fair to say all our ex pat qualified Scots are disgruntled and a bit sh*t. Many of them will have just wanted an opportunity to play international rugby, yes, but also a lot of them have very much become naturalised Scots. Look at WP Nel, Schoemann. Both could have easily moved away from Edinburgh if they wanted to. I get that maybe players switching country is a bit more contentious, and can see why you'd think that for that reason but choosing to play for Scotland is still a big commitment.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Recwatcher16 Thu 14 Mar 2024, 5:45 pm

Yes I certainly wouldn't imply any international was 'a bit 54it'. It's just that it is incredibly risky to rely on finding these players who are prepared to commit to Scotland. Clearly once they do so then obviously they integrate during their playing years as per Nel etc. If they qualify, they qualify under the somewhat antiquated rules. My point being Townsend has done very well to create a team and a squad from disparate backgrounds and experience and that shouldn't be underestimated.

Recwatcher16

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 15 Mar 2024, 3:52 pm

king_carlos wrote:
tigertattie wrote:Cullen is a good coach but I think he’ll be a Leinster until Farrell moves on and Cullen takes over the Ireland job.

I'd be really surprised if ROG isn't the next Ireland coach. In fact, I'm half expecting ROG to work with Farrell in some regard with the Lions, then take over the Ireland gig after the 2027 RWC.

I'd still expect Cullen to stay where he's at until the Irish job became available. He's been at Leinster for a long time and he's done a very good job.

He might take the world cup cycle before or after ROG. Until then he's got a good thing going and it's unlikely to finish soon.

If Scotland were going to look around then New Zealand could well be a happy hunting ground as they've got their new coaching staff all set up. Anyone eying up coming in for a future cycle will be wanting to show some international experience.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 16 Mar 2024, 6:50 pm

Well I don't think today has changed my mind. Same tactic as the last 9 times against Ireland. Same result. Only difference is Ireland played poorly.

Toonie will claim improvement and we'll keep him on until the next WC.

If we were utterly dire a la early noughties Scotland I don't think I'd care. The fact we've got players who are capable of winning makes it worse.

NeilyBroon

sensisball and bsando like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 16 Mar 2024, 6:53 pm

What next?

He gets his annual bonus for beating England and he has an early holiday before coasting through an uninspired summer tour
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat 16 Mar 2024, 6:59 pm

Yip I hope he has accepted it's time to let someone else have a go. I would have massive respect for him if he did that.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 16 Mar 2024, 7:54 pm

Toonie - what next? Screen10

Colin Gregor sums it up perfectly

NeilyBroon

Boston Exile, bsando and cakeordeath like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat 16 Mar 2024, 9:12 pm

He’s got to go. The more I think on it the more I am convinced he’s done.

bsando

NeilyBroon and TheMildlyFranticLlama like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Boston Exile Sun 17 Mar 2024, 5:45 pm

As I've said elsewhere, I believe it's time for change, yesterday consolidated that view. Left field idea, visit New Zealand go to the pro teams in 2nd/3rd place. Find a Head Coach who wants the AB job but isn't the next favoured. Coming to coach Scotland gives them the chance to move to the top of the queue. If they are a non-Maori NZ the chances are they have some Scottish heritage somewhere. Maybe too simplistic a view but we need someone skilled and ambitious, a winner with a track record.

Just an idea

Boston Exile

NeilyBroon and CaptainHaddock like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sun 17 Mar 2024, 5:56 pm

I'm telling you, it's Eddie.

You read it here first Very Happy

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Tue 19 Mar 2024, 1:47 am

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/scottish-daily-mail/20240318/282716231979399

Another very good article and a very interesting point regarding Gregor Townsend and a possible desire to move upstairs into an upstairs role 😱. I do think Gregor Townsend would do an excellent job in that role so is it a realistic option or is Jason White way off the mark here 🤔?

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 20 Mar 2024, 4:07 pm

Highland Shaun wrote:https://www.pressreader.com/uk/scottish-daily-mail/20240318/282716231979399

Another very good article and a very interesting point regarding Gregor Townsend and a possible desire to move upstairs into an upstairs role 😱.  I do think Gregor Townsend would do an excellent job in that role so is it a realistic option or is Jason White way off the mark here 🤔?

I think it is realistic but I get the feeling Toonie won't jump until he's pushed. As Gee said, so much change going on, they're not going to sack him or even move him at the moment, and as White said it'd have to be of his volition.

I expect Toonie would actually do a lot better in a player development role, managing the pathways, blooding players and sourcing talent is one of his strengths. Whether he would I don't know, he may well just want a clean break. I think it's more likely a french club would come with a lot of money looking for a coach and he'd jump ship for that. Given how Scotland have performed under him in the last 5 years I'd be surprised if he didn't just call it a day and take an offer but who knows what goes on in his head, he seems to think we did well this tournament!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Tue 02 Apr 2024, 11:38 pm

https://www.theoffsideline.com/john-mcguigan-gregor-townsend/

So it seems most of you on here were correct or in the know because Mr McGuigan says Gregor is safe FOR NOW, until after Autumn going by the comments of John in the above article, mainly due to the upheaval at the SRU and need to fill other positions such as CEO and Performance Director. I must say that I am totally in favour of this decision but it does mean that the pressure is really on Gregor and the team to deliver during the autumn otherwise it's likely to be over for Gregor 🤔?

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 03 Apr 2024, 9:22 am

Doubt that, they didn't make much noise about conditions for him to hold his position. I think it's just a front of talking slightly "tough" without any meaningful decisions being made. Unless the new performance director is a real ball buster I expect more limpness.

We'd have to completely bomb the summer tour and subsequent internationals to see a change in autumn.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 03 Apr 2024, 9:28 am

Mcguigan makes fair points about the laws but it felt a bit like deflection from what really matters. If anything we should be leaving world rugby to find the solutions themselves and contain the outspoken comments. The SRU seem to have a lot of gripes with world rugby and the France match being mentioned yet again is getting a bit embarrassing now. What’s happened happened, all the focus should be on improving results and developing young players.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Wed 03 Apr 2024, 9:32 am

When is toonie signed up to? end of 2025?

Time enough for him to implode or fix the results. If it gets worse then fine, the new CEO of the SRU Ltd can make a public scene of saying "this isni good enough, ne'er darken my door again", makes him look in charge and capable of making bold decisions.

At this point both the new CEO and the performance director roles are more important appointees for scottish rugby than replacing toonie.

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 03 Apr 2024, 9:50 am

Tramptastic wrote:When is toonie signed up to? end of 2025?

Time enough for him to implode or fix the results. If it gets worse then fine, the new CEO of the SRU Ltd can make a public scene of saying "this isni good enough, ne'er darken my door again", makes him look in charge and capable of making bold decisions.

At this point both the new CEO and the performance director roles are more important appointees for scottish rugby than replacing toonie.

I thought it was mid '26 but could be wrong.

It was a bad move after a very poor showing at the WC tbh. I still don't understand the rationale, even with money saving measures and limited coach availability. Should have put him on an interim contract for 12 months until a coach is found.

NeilyBroon

Tramptastic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed 03 Apr 2024, 11:29 am

NeilyBroon wrote:

It was a bad move after a very poor showing at the WC tbh. I still don't understand the rationale, even with money saving measures and limited coach availability. Should have put him on an interim contract for 12 months until a coach is found.

I'd not be too harsh on the RWC performances; Scotland were in that year's Group of Death and won the games they could have been expected to win based on rankings. They did better than Australia in that regard, and their performance was pretty much what would have been expected going in. All of the NH teams underperformed bar England, who did about as well as could be expected.

This was also an unusual 6N with France, England and Wales all in transition to some degree. Scotland were a little lucky that England's handling failed them so often at Murrayfield and very unlucky that the disallowed try against France was poorly officiated. The bigger worry is how much Italy have closed the gap - but then they have been building their player and coach pipeline for a while and it was only a matter of time before they started to catch up.

The other consideration as a neutral is who you could replace him with, especially until the SRU has shown that it has its house in order.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 03 Apr 2024, 11:40 am

Poorfour wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:

I'd not be too harsh on the RWC performances; Scotland were in that year's Group of Death and won the games they could have been expected to win based on rankings. They did better than Australia in that regard, and their performance was pretty much what would have been expected going in. All of the NH teams underperformed bar England, who did about as well as could be expected.

This was also an unusual 6N with France, England and Wales all in transition to some degree. Scotland were a little lucky that England's handling failed them so often at Murrayfield and very unlucky that the disallowed try against France was poorly officiated. The bigger worry is how much Italy have closed the gap - but then they have been building their player and coach pipeline for a while and it was only a matter of time before they started to catch up.

The other consideration as a neutral is who you could replace him with, especially until the SRU has shown that it has its house in order.

It wasn't so much the losses but the manner of them. It was basically a rerun of 2019, suggesting no learning was taken forward from the last time.

Toonie has been around the Scottish camp for a long time now, especially if you include his first stint as a rather underwhelming attack coach under Andy Robinson. The times we've looked best under Toonie is when we've had good backroom staff. Toonie is a good manager but rubbish coach, I think he'd be much better suited to a backroom role away from the pitch. By the time his contract runs in 2026 it'll have been 9 years, 11 if you include his previous involvement and 14/15 if you include his time at the warriors. That's a long time for any coach to stay in the same place, he should really have been allowed to develop his coaching elsewhere before taking Scotland.

NeilyBroon

Poorfour likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 04 Apr 2024, 7:54 am

Yes I think most have agreed that Toonie got his chance a bit too soon.. I doubt very much he would have taken the huff if VC had been handed another 2-3 year contract. It was a gamble that appeared to have paid off until 2018 when wales obliterated Scotland in Cardiff. That was the first big warning sign that perhaps Townsend was not going to be the amazing coach we had been told he would be. Fastest brand of rugby in the world resulted in some memorable wins but a few bad losses too.the slump in 2019 (only two years into his first contract) was revived by some back room staff changes that to his credit did work out. Yet it was painful to watch Scotland rebrand and develop a new game plan. That eventually led to the last World Cup and another failure. Then a failed 2024 six nations campaign. It’s hard to see how he can continue after his current contract.

bsando

sensisball and NeilyBroon like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Fri 05 Apr 2024, 10:53 pm

As much as I do totally agree with that @bsando I also think it's harsh on the replacement who would have about a year until the next world cup to get his ideas across 🙄.  I still have a feeling Gregor won't be coach by start of 6Ns next year if we have a poor autumn or at the end of the 6N 2025 if we have another 2/5 🤔.

I like Gregor and still back him JUST but performances/collapses like Rome just aren't acceptable to me and will make my backing diminish if that continues this year and into next year's 6N!!

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 06 Apr 2024, 5:59 am

Highland Shaun wrote:As much as I do totally agree with that @bsando I also think it's harsh on the replacement who would have about a year until the next world cup to get his ideas across 🙄.  I still have a feeling Gregor won't be coach by start of 6Ns next year if we have a poor autumn or at the end of the 6N 2025 if we have another 2/5 🤔.

I like Gregor and still back him JUST but performances/collapses like Rome just aren't acceptable to me and will make my backing diminish if that continues this year and into next year's 6N!!

If the SRU decide to honour the contract but we still see poor results I don't see what else could be done other than bring in a new coach with a year to go, hence it being such a stupid move in the first place! If it does end 2026, I'm 99% certain the SRU will have chosen their man in Franco Smith, cheaper and easier than external recruitment, rightly or wrongly.

It's hard to see it ending before the next 6Ns because we'd have to have a really bad summer tour, which considering it's primarily a development tour gives Toonie a strong excuse for underperforming. We'd have to lose to Chile, which much as they're improved seems highly unlikely. Autumn we can lose to SA as usual, even with an abysmal performance, if we scrape past the other games and point to the fact SA always whip us, how dare we expect more!

Put it this way, I wish I saw in Toonie what you see Shaun because he's always left me wondering how different things may have been under another coach, and not in a good way!

NeilyBroon

sensisball likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat 06 Apr 2024, 12:46 pm

It’s highly likely we will lose to Australia as well given their wealth of talent. Jones was a disaster for them last year but Schmidt won’t hang around in overhauling the game plan and squad. I’m expecting a revival but the Wallabies have disappointed for some time now.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sun 14 Apr 2024, 11:18 pm

Is Clark Laidlaw on anyone's radar?

The NZRU evidently think highly of him. When he took over the All Black Sevens, he was the first foreign national to coach a New Zealand national representative side. Now, in his first year at the Hurricanes, they are unbeaten after seven games.  

Super Rugby looks more open this season with the Crusaders out of sorts. If the Hurricanes go on to win the title, which is possible, then Laidlaw will be the most successful Scottish coach around.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 15 Apr 2024, 9:39 am

Rugby Fan wrote:Is Clark Laidlaw on anyone's radar?

The NZRU evidently think highly of him. When he took over the All Black Sevens, he was the first foreign national to coach a New Zealand national representative side. Now, in his first year at the Hurricanes, they are unbeaten after seven games.  

Super Rugby looks more open this season with the Crusaders out of sorts. If the Hurricanes go on to win the title, which is possible, then Laidlaw will be the most successful Scottish coach around.

He's certainly been discussed and has a very good coaching pedigree with mentors such as Richie Gray etc. If I were him and was approached by the SRU I'd be asking for quite a substantial fee.

I expect the reality is that Toonie will see out til 26 and Franco will be moved from Glasgow in his place. Not a bad coach by any stretch but whether he'd be the right fit for Scotland remains to be seen.

Ideally I think we need an external candidate but the funds probably won't stretch that far.

NeilyBroon

Rugby Fan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 15 Apr 2024, 11:55 am

NeilyBroon wrote:He's certainly been discussed and has a very good coaching pedigree with mentors such as Richie Gray etc. If I were him and was approached by the SRU I'd be asking for quite a substantial fee.

I wonder what ambition Laidlaw has himself. No matter how well he does coaching the Hurricanes, it's unlikely he'd be in line for the top All Blacks job any time soon if ever. The best he could hope for professionally in New Zealand is the job he currently has or, possibly, an assistant coaching berth with the national side.

His family has been in New Zealand a while now (his daughters have kiwi accents), so it might be a lifestyle choice, though he did take a job at London Irish, before the NZRU called again. He played a straight bat when asked about it in an interview.

And finally, what does he dream of at night when he goes to sleep, coaching Scotland to that elusive Grand Slam or coaching the All Blacks to a Rugby World Cup because Mark Robinson (remember him), who offered Laidlaw his first gig at Taranaki, is now the CEO of New Zealand Rugby.

“Do you want me to be really honest?” he asks. “I don’t dream too much around future opportunities. I genuinely understand how hard pro sport is but all my dreaming and thinking revolves around the Hurricanes at the minute.

“I am loving my time here. As a young guy in Jed, watching the Hurricanes on TV, if you’d told me that I’d be the coach of the Hurricanes I’d have said that that was a dream.

“I am so passionate in trying to make this team successful and trying to win and if that does lead to opportunities in the future I am more than willing to think about them in the future.

“I am Scottish. I always want Scotland to win. I would love to think that Scotland can win a Grand Slam and produce a team we can all be proud of. I love watching them on the TV. The fans seem so passionate at the minute.

“I am not sure that answers your question but it’s a tough industry and you can’t afford to have too many dreams. You have to think about the stuff that keeps you going in the now rather than think too far ahead.”

https://www.theoffsideline.com/clark-laidlaw/

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down