The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS LANCASHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2024

+2
thegooch7
jimbobgooner
6 posters

Go down

SURREY VS LANCASHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2024 Empty SURREY VS LANCASHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2024

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 04 Apr 2024, 9:31 pm

The champions are back Very Happy
Surrey have named a 13 man squad for the opening Vitality County Championship match of the season.
Overseas player Kemar Roach is back in the country and goes into the squad for our opener.  Smile
Dan Worrall is unavailable due to neck issue,  Sad with Conor McKerr missing through a groin injury.
As an ECB contracted player, Gus Atkinson is unavailable due to workload management. Rolling Eyes
Sam Curran, Tom  Curran, Will Jacks and Reece Topley are all at the IPL.
There is no place in the squad for Ben Geddes or Amar Virdi.
Full Squad:
Burns (c)
Clark
Dunn
Foakes
Lawes
Lawrence
Overton
Patel
Pope
Roach
Sibley
Smith
Steel
The decision not to let Atkinson play is ridiculous, was it carrying out the drinks which made the workload tough Rolling Eyes
Dunn will miss out, (sorry Guildford) and maybe with Steel getting a hundred at that ground last year he might just edge the final spot over Patel.
for the first time this year over to you chaps  thumbsup

Last edited by jimbobgooner on Thu 11 Apr 2024, 4:40 pm; edited 2 times in total

jimbobgooner

guildfordbat and thegooch7 like this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS LANCASHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2024 Empty Re: SURREY VS LANCASHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2024

Post by thegooch7 Thu 04 Apr 2024, 10:35 pm

Delete

Last edited by thegooch7 on Thu 04 Apr 2024, 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS LANCASHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2024 Empty Re: SURREY VS LANCASHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2024

Post by thegooch7 Thu 04 Apr 2024, 10:37 pm

Cheers jimbob, so Atkinson is rested before he's played a game! Astounding! Yip I agree, Dunn to miss out along with Patel I reckon.....hope the weather doesn't ruin this one

thegooch7

jimbobgooner likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 04 Apr 2024, 11:06 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:The champions are back Very Happy
Surrey have named a 13 man squad for the opening Vitality County Championship match of the season.
Overseas player Kemar Roach is back in the country and goes into the squad for our opener.  Smile
Dan Worrall is unavailable due to neck issue,  Sad with Conor McKerr missing through a groin injury.
As an ECB contracted player, Gus Atkinson is unavailable due to workload management. Rolling Eyes
Sam Curran, Tom  Curran, Will Jacks and Reece Topley are all at the IPL.
There is no place in the squad for Ben Geddes or Amar Virdi.
Full Squad:
Burns (c)
Clark
Dunn
Foakes
Lawes
Lawrence
Overton
Patel
Pope
Roach
Sibley
Smith
Steel
The decision not to let Atkinson play is ridiculous, was it carrying out the drinks which made the workload tough Rolling Eyes
Dunn will miss out, (sorry Guildford) and maybe with Steel getting a hundred at that ground last year he might just edge out the final spot over Patel.

for the first time this year over to you chaps  thumbsup

''The champions are back '' - you talking about Surrey and yourself, JimBob?! Wink  Top work anyway on your return.

Yep, the ECB's decision to require Atkinson to rest seems ridiculous. He's 26, hasn't played any competitive cricket since mid December and the T20 WC is, what, almost two months away. If there is any valid reason, it needs to be properly explained rather than weasel words being trotted out.

I think you're right about the two who will miss out. As you say, Steel's ton at Old Trafford in last season's opener (an undefeated 140 odd) will probably get him the final place over Patel. Surrey did seem keen to use Steel with bat and ball in the two pre-season friendlies. Mind you, we would almost certainly have played five seamers had Worrall (a neck niggle, I heard - don't believe too serious) and Atkinson been available (maybe with Lawes missing out). If we are committed to five seamers, then Dunn will play but I doubt it. Pleased he's back with the first team squad for a few days at least after all he's had to endure.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 05 Apr 2024, 4:09 pm

day one a damp squib

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 05 Apr 2024, 4:28 pm

If they don't start on time tomorrow, I wonder if Surrey might regard the draw as inevitable and play Dunn instead of one of the regular seamers who can put his feet up until Friday at the Oval.
Probably hoping against hope there. Whistle

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 06 Apr 2024, 12:55 pm

Play due to start at 1:10. 80 overs in the day.
Surrey win toss and bowl. As thought most likely, Patel and Dunn left out.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 06 Apr 2024, 1:46 pm

The err fact Lancs are playing Hartley and Lyon, and Lawrence is bowling 10 overs into the game…suggests we might have our XI incorrect here
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 07 Apr 2024, 12:26 am

excellent first day / day 2 Wink

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 07 Apr 2024, 11:50 am

Delayed start. Play begins at 12:30. Lunch at 13:30. Doh

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 07 Apr 2024, 3:24 pm

We have clarification as to why we aren’t playing, it’s due to health and safety concerns for ground staff removing the covers.
picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Voice of the Beehive Mon 08 Apr 2024, 11:22 pm

Thought I’d make a rare post on the site although I always read others posts

I think there must have been new health and safety rules this season because play at Edgbaston was delayed on the final morning as the groundstaff were unable to cover the bowlers run ups overnight due to health and safety.

Voice of the Beehive

guildfordbat and jimbobgooner like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 09 Apr 2024, 10:12 am

Voice of the Beehive wrote:Thought I’d make a rare post on the site although I always read others posts

I think there must have been new health and safety rules this season because play at Edgbaston was delayed on the final morning as the groundstaff were unable to cover the bowlers run ups overnight due to health and safety.  

Hi VotB - glad you are still reading here. It would be good for us if you could post more too. That's an interesting comment above. I'm going to some of the upcoming Somerset game at the Oval and will try to grab a word with Surrey's head groundsman to get his input. This may just be the cynic in me but I do suspect the groundstaff at Old Trafford and Edgbaston might have been able to deal with the covers had we been at the end of September with the home side needing a couple of points to win the Championship or avoid relegation!

Other than the staggering success of our part-timers with the ball, a miserable four days in Manchester. Well as Lawrence and Steel bowled, I thought a lot of Lancs' batting was poor as they went into freefall. Not really for me to tell them (but it won't stop me!), I thought they got their selection wrong being a batter light. I doubt they'll select the same eleven again.

After yesterday morning had been wiped out, the best thing from Surrey's perspective about the day was that there was no play at all. Had there been some after lunch, we wouldn't have had enough time to get a batting point whilst Lancs might have picked up 1 or even 2 bowling points. I know that sounds miserly but that's the way it is.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 15 Apr 2024, 11:50 am

guildfordbat wrote:
Voice of the Beehive wrote:Thought I’d make a rare post on the site although I always read others posts

Hi VotB - glad you are still reading here. It would be good for us if you could post more too. That's an interesting comment above. I'm going to some of the upcoming Somerset game at the Oval and will try to grab a word with Surrey's head groundsman to get his input. This may just be the cynic in me but I do suspect the groundstaff at Old Trafford and Edgbaston might have been able to deal with the covers had we been at the end of September with the home side needing a couple of points to win the Championship or avoid relegation!

Just to say - I was unable to grab a word with head groundsman Lee Fortis when I was at the Oval this weekend (he was at the opposite end of the wicket to me during lunch and I couldn't exactly walk across it!) but not forgotten. Try next time.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down