The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England's Summer of Cricket 2024

+5
Jetty
VTR
guildfordbat
alfie
Duty281
9 posters

Go down

England's Summer of Cricket 2024 Empty England's Summer of Cricket 2024

Post by Duty281 Fri 05 Apr 2024, 11:27 am

Now the County Championship has begun, it is officially summer once more. Don't let the rain tell you otherwise!

We can talk about promising county performances, the build up to the World T20, and Ollie Robinson's latest injury when it happens. Then, in just under two months, England start playing games:

England v Pakistan, four T20s, 22nd May-30th May
World T20 in June
England v West Indies, three tests, 10th July-30th July
England v Sri Lanka, three tests, 21st August-10th September
England v Australia, three T20s, 11th September-15th September
England v Australia, five ODIs, 19th September-29th September

It's a bit of a pressure summer for England. The ODI side made the most disappointing defence of a World Cup crown since France in the football in 2002, so there's pressure on the T20 side, and Mott in particular, to deliver something decent in the Caribbean.

For the test match side, it's been three series without a series win for England, so the expectation is on for England to get back to winning ways against the West Indies and Sri Lanka. The West Indies often cause England a few troubles, but England have won their last seven home series v the West Indies, dating back to 2000, and you have to go back to 1988 for the last time the West Indies won a series in England.

Sri Lanka are visiting for the first time in eight years for a test series, so it's well overdue. They've certainly managed to upset England in the past, very famously in 1998, but also in 2014, so it's a series that cannot be taken for granted.

And to round off the summer the ECB are making a dash for cash, with eight limited overs games against the Aussies in the fading September light, in games that will probably be forgotten in no time at all.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

guildfordbat, alfie and VTR like this post

Back to top Go down

England's Summer of Cricket 2024 Empty Re: England's Summer of Cricket 2024

Post by Duty281 Sat 06 Apr 2024, 11:05 am

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/jofra-archer-lined-up-england-return-pakistan-1427930

Jofra is being prepped to play in the England v Pakistan T20 series. As this series will take place after the naming of the T20 World Cup squad, this means we can expect Jofra to be named in the World Cup squad. Room for all three of Topley, Wood and Jofra?

Key has also reiterated that Jofra won't be playing any part in test cricket until 2025. In a dream world he'll be leading the attack in Australia.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 06 Apr 2024, 11:07 pm

Good to see Buttler get an IPL ton today. Hopefully turning a corner after a dreadful end to 2023.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 07 Apr 2024, 5:05 am

Duty281 wrote:Good to see Buttler get an IPL ton today. Hopefully turning a corner after a dreadful end to 2023.

Indeed. And an encouraging note with an eye to the t20 WC : really need Jos to be on form for that one.

alfie

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 07 Apr 2024, 9:45 am

A creditable 80 odd from Lancs' Josh Bohannon yesterday against Surrey at Old Trafford. He was last season's top run scorer in Division One.

David Lloyd was suggesting before this game that Bohannon might rival Ollie Pope for an England place at number 3. Even allowing for some Lancs bias on Lloyd's part, I thought it was a fair comment. Interesting to see how Pope gets on today with Test spinners Lyon and Hartley likely to be at the forefront of the home attack.

guildfordbat

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 07 Apr 2024, 11:55 am

I think this season is now or never for Bohannon. He turns 27 in a couple of days. He's got a fantastic record, got a century in the winter for the Lions, as Guildford mentioned was the top run scorer in Division One last year (with a solid conversion rate, averaging near 60 and a good SR of 63), so if England don't pick him this summer then I can envisage him being another Hildreth, and never getting the call.

Key has indicated a satisfaction with where the batting currently is for England, but a mountain of runs in April and May should make Bohannon impossible to ignore.

Duty281

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 09 Apr 2024, 10:16 am

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/christchurch-wellington-hamilton-to-host-new-zealand-england-test-series-1428486

Not the summer, but the winter. England's dates for the test series in New Zealand have been announced. I noted this on the last thread - England's tests this summer are three back to back games for both series, which is unusual. Normally it's two tests back to back, a week break, then the third test.

For the series in NZ, it's again three back to back games. First test starts on November 28th; second test begins eight days after that; third test starts eight days after that. If this becomes the norm on the calendar, there should be greater opportunity for more three test series instead of two tests.

Duty281

alfie and VTR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 10 Apr 2024, 7:27 am

Indeed very good to see a proper three Test series in NZ after all these unsatisfying two-game versions we have had the last umpteen years !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Mon 15 Apr 2024, 4:35 pm

Anyone else thinking that Matt Potts might be in the team this summer batting at 6?

VTR

guildfordbat and Duty281 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 16 Apr 2024, 9:24 am

Rumours at Surrey that Pope and Foakes are to be rested for their forthcoming Championship game at Kent upon ECB orders.

No great surprise about Pope. However, if correct about Foakes, it suggests at the very least that England haven't discarded him for the summer at this stage. [In the match just finished against Somerset, characteristically he was very good with the gloves but one dimensional and turgid with the bat when we needed to up the rate.]

guildfordbat

Duty281 and VTR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 16 Apr 2024, 11:16 am

Interesting point about Foakes. Seems utterly daft to rest them, however. For one thing, they're bats not bowlers. Secondly, the next test is just over 12 weeks away! And Pope has only faced 25 balls in two games, it's not like he's played one of those marathon innings.

Duty281

guildfordbat and VTR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jetty Tue 16 Apr 2024, 1:23 pm

Playing for their counties with England chances

Anderson - playing later on, May/June
Mahmood - recovering from injury, likely to play in May (30 overs in 2 second XI matches)
Robinson - 6 wickets at 36.16
Woakes - in IPL
Stokes - playing 3 or 4 games later
Potts - 5 wickets at 40.60
Tongue - is he injured?
Atkinson - workload managed by ECB (4 wickets at 29.25)
Wood - probably same as Stokes
Carse - think he will play all Durham's matches
Turner - is he injured?
Stone - is he injured? (See that he is playing Notts 2nd XI)
Fisher - 5 wickets at 36.40
Cook - 15 wickets
Lawes - rotated with Atkinson (5 wickets at 26.80)

Last edited by Jetty on Thu 25 Apr 2024, 11:39 am; edited 4 times in total

Jetty

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Tue 16 Apr 2024, 3:12 pm

Can't remember where I heard it, but I think the Test squad are only being allowed to play (any) 5 of the first 7 CC rounds.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 16 Apr 2024, 4:21 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/apr/16/kookaburra-rob-key-england-cricket-county-championship

While views of the Kookaburra have been broadly negative on the county circuit, Rob Key is fully committed and in love, saying he wants it used full time in the county game. Key has named Aldridge, Akhter and, perhaps most significantly, Cook as the most impressive bowlers he's seen so far.

I agree with some of Key's points. There have been a lot more overs of spin sent down in the opening two rounds, which is a key box ticked, and pace is more important. He says the best bowlers in the world come from the flattest pitches. I'm not entirely sure of that viewpoint. England certainly haven't had an issue with producing good test quality bowlers in recent times, save for perhaps spinners.

The most pertinent question is perhaps around the batsmen. This is where England have struggled to find talent. Since 2012, only Root and maybe Brook have been found as top quality test bats. If the change to the Kookaburra was permanent, would making domestic home conditions easier for batting help produce better quality test batsmen? You could argue they'd get more time in the middle in county cricket, boosting experience and skills; or you could say they'd have an easier ride in the county game and then get exposed in the step up. But as the latter has been happening anyway to the majority of new batsmen in the setup, perhaps we can believe in the former?

Anyway, it's back to the Dukes ball for round three.

Last edited by Duty281 on Tue 16 Apr 2024, 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

VTR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 16 Apr 2024, 10:08 pm

Another century for Buttler in the IPL today. Good to see him getting back into form ahead of the World T20.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 18 Apr 2024, 4:20 pm

Duty281 wrote:Interesting point about Foakes. Seems utterly daft to rest them, however. For one thing, they're bats not bowlers. Secondly, the next test is just over 12 weeks away! And Pope has only faced 25 balls in two games, it's not like he's played one of those marathon innings.

Hmm. Pope is rested for tomorrow's match at Canterbury along with Atkinson who was also rested for the season's opener. However, Foakes is in the Surrey squad and seems set to play.

It does look as if England are keen on picking Atkinson this summer. Maybe Foakes less so, hard to tell.

Meanwhile, Zak Crawley is in the Kent squad and plays his first match since the India series.

guildfordbat

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 19 Apr 2024, 1:38 pm

Duckett's also been rested. Not sure if any others have been. Robinson's back in Sussex's team.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 21 Apr 2024, 3:50 pm

Joe Clarke as England's wicketkeeper? It surely has to be seriously considered now, because Clarke has started the season with three centuries in three games. His latest being a fantastic rescue effort for Notts against Somerset. It comes off the back of last season where he averaged 50 with the bat.

Rew hasn't started the season very brightly. Robinson has managed four fifties in four innings, and Smith has managed three fifties in three innings, which is lovely consistency.

But it's Clarke coming in with sheer weight of runs, and at a SR which is amenable to the current regime.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Mon 22 Apr 2024, 10:56 am

Will they really consider Clarke though? I've not heard lately if he's still effectively excluded from the set up, though I don't follow the Lions etc that closely

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 22 Apr 2024, 11:11 am

VTR wrote:Will they really consider Clarke though? I've not heard lately if he's still effectively excluded from the set up, though I don't follow the Lions etc that closely

Key name checked him as one to watch when he first got the job in 2022 - he then went on a terrible run of form, so we never found out whether he was black balled from the higher ups. But seems Key doesn’t have a problem with him.

I think I’d steer clear - he’s been in other troubles too and you hear rumours about him, so might be other skeletons in his closet. From a purely ruthless POV, he doesn’t seem worth the hassle when you have other guys squally as good, before we even get into the moral side of it.

JDizzle

VTR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 22 Apr 2024, 11:29 am

He was also named as a reserve batsman for the test series to the West Indies in 2022, and I'd also say that Hales was given an unlikely reprieve for the T20 World Cup in 2022, so I don't think there'll be any block on Clarke being picked. And, as said above, Key has named him as one to watch previously.

I'd be uneasy about picking Clarke, personally, but I do think England will be seriously considering the prospect of it after the start to the season he has had.

Duty281

VTR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Mon 22 Apr 2024, 12:22 pm

Thanks, sounds like he's in the frame, even if he is a thoroughly vile character. No doubt if he is selected he'll have "learned his lesson" and "matured". I think I read his even worse mate was unanimously voted by members to not join a club side. I question how it even got to that point!

VTR

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 23 Apr 2024, 9:07 am

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/england-bairstow-ipl-t20-world-cup-2024-1430391

Bairstow's struggles are continuing. It's been a nightmare winter. Struggled in the tests, struggled in the 50 over World Cup, now he's struggling in the IPL, leading to him being dropped from a recent game.

Bairstow's had six innings in the IPL this season and scored just 96 runs. Despite this, he is still expected to be named in England's provisional T20 World Cup squad, which will be announced in the next week. The deadline is May 1st, but England can still make changes up until the 25th....which makes a deadline rather pointless, but that's the ICC for you! England will play one of their four T20s against Pakistan before May 25th, so there doesn't seem much scope for change, though we could end up with another Jason Roy situation.

Duty281

guildfordbat, alfie and VTR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 23 Apr 2024, 10:02 am

Duty281 wrote:https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/england-bairstow-ipl-t20-world-cup-2024-1430391

Bairstow's struggles are continuing. It's been a nightmare winter. Struggled in the tests, struggled in the 50 over World Cup, now he's struggling in the IPL, leading to him being dropped from a recent game.

Bairstow's had six innings in the IPL this season and scored just 96 runs. Despite this, he is still expected to be named in England's provisional T20 World Cup squad, which will be announced in the next week. The deadline is May 1st, but England can still make changes up until the 25th....which makes a deadline rather pointless, but that's the ICC for you! England will play one of their four T20s against Pakistan before May 25th, so there doesn't seem much scope for change, though we could end up with another Jason Roy situation.

I don't much follow the IPL but note from cricinfo that Bairstow hasn't been keeping in that. Was there ever a chance he would? I ask as the more keeping he does, you would think (wouldn't you?) the greater the chances of him replacing Foakes and retaining his England Test place when Brook returns.

Meanwhile, I heard yesterday on local radio (Kent v Surrey commentary) that Joe Clarke's 213 not out for Notts against Somerset was the highest score in the history of the County Championship by a wicket keeper in a second innings. Admittedly, various matters need to align to even create such a possibility but still an achievement not to be sneezed at and which, in line with Duty's recent posts, may place him in the England running.

If he is anywhere close to a Test call up, I imagine the ECB are frantically checking his historic tweets and carrying out various other acts of due diligence to try and ensure there is nothing else to emerge which they, sponsors and the public wouldn't like.

My own view is that whilst his batting fits the bill, England will anyway want a more established keeper. That's why I'm also doubtful about Smith's chances. A fit and in form Bairstow would do for me although that seems some way off. Hmm.

guildfordbat

alfie, Duty281 and VTR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 24 Apr 2024, 4:04 pm

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2024/04/24/jamie-overton-t20-world-cup-back-injury-surrey/

Injury! As ever. Jamie Overton's T20 World Cup presence is in doubt due to a back injury. Scans are currently inconclusive, so he'll have a fortnight of rest before having more scans. Leaves England in a bit of a mess because the squad will be named early week and, while England are free to make changes until the 25th of May, it's not an ideal situation.

Macpherson also adds that Salt, Jacks, S Curran, Moeen and Livingstone are all likely to make the squad.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 24 Apr 2024, 5:46 pm

Duty281 wrote:https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2024/04/24/jamie-overton-t20-world-cup-back-injury-surrey/

Injury! As ever. Jamie Overton's T20 World Cup presence is in doubt due to a back injury. Scans are currently inconclusive, so he'll have a fortnight of rest before having more scans. Leaves England in a bit of a mess because the squad will be named early week and, while England are free to make changes until the 25th of May, it's not an ideal situation.

Macpherson also adds that Salt, Jacks, S Curran, Moeen and Livingstone are all likely to make the squad.

I would certainly trust the article. When Will Macpherson was previously at the (London) Evening Standard, he was regularly dependable and well informed on Surrey matters.

When I was at the Oval for Surrey's match against Somerset the other week, Jamie Overton didn't look comfortable with the ball or in the field and appeared to be taking painkillers.

guildfordbat

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jetty Wed 24 Apr 2024, 10:22 pm

My guess for the T20 WC

1 Buttler
2 Salt
3 Jacks
4 Bairstow
5 Brook
6 Livingstone
7 Curran
8 Woakes
9 Rashid
10 Archer
11 Topley

12 Wood
13 Ali
14 Atkinson
15 J Overton

Cricinfo - There are a few details to iron out, with Ben Duckett in contention to be the spare batter and Tom Hartley likely to get the nod as second spinner ahead of Rehan Ahmed.  The uncertainty over Overton's injury may also open the door for Chris Jordan to be recalled.

I don't have a spare batter as everyone bats except Topley. Livingstone, Jacks can be the other spin options so Hartley is not needed.

Jetty

guildfordbat and Duty281 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 24 Apr 2024, 10:50 pm

I think on your 15 Atkinson will probably be the one making way for Hartley, as England wouldn't need all four of Archer/Topley/Atkinson/Wood, especially when they've also got J Overton/Jordan.

Jordan makes sense as a like for like replacement for J Overton should the latter be injured.

Not sure where Duckett fits in. Picked ahead of Bairstow, perhaps, in a batting order stacked with right-handers? Or maybe only two of the Archer/Topley/Wood trio make it in? Is Woakes' place absolutely safe, I wonder?

These 15 player limits must be highly annoying for those selecting!

Squad will be announced on Tuesday morning, apparently.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Jetty Thu 25 Apr 2024, 12:23 am

Duty281 wrote:I think on your 15 Atkinson will probably be the one making way for Hartley, as England wouldn't need all four of Archer/Topley/Atkinson/Wood, especially when they've also got J Overton/Jordan.

Jordan makes sense as a like for like replacement for J Overton should the latter be injured.

Not sure where Duckett fits in. Picked ahead of Bairstow, perhaps, in a batting order stacked with right-handers? Or maybe only two of the Archer/Topley/Wood trio make it in? Is Woakes' place absolutely safe, I wonder?

Moeen Ali would more likely play than Hartley if they needed two full time spinners.
At one time Jordan was always in the T20 team then Woakes replaced him. I can't see both in the team together.

Jetty

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 25 Apr 2024, 1:03 am

Duty281 wrote:I think on your 15 Atkinson will probably be the one making way for Hartley, as England wouldn't need all four of Archer/Topley/Atkinson/Wood, especially when they've also got J Overton/Jordan.

Definitely! If a player becomes injured during the tournament, can he then be replaced? If not, England might be very cautious about selecting Archer.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 25 Apr 2024, 3:06 pm

The 15-man squad limit is rubbish. It should be at least 18 these days. The only purpose it serves is to potentially make the tournament worse as far as I see it.

I'd take Duckett ahead of YJB at this point. Bairstow is usually a useful option in the RHB heavy line-up as he's very good against the ball spinning away from the bat. Both wrist-spin and finger spin. Then in the past he was an elite boundary fielder and Warner/Buttler/Dhoni level runner between wickets. Which is a pretty useful package! He isn't the same athlete outside batting anymore and his form has evaporated over a very long winter in India. I'd be looking at Duckett for a middle order spot even if Bairstow might still have the higher ceiling if he fires.

The only other thing I'd question from the above is Jordan as like-for-like with JOverton? Surely Overton is more of a batter who bowls than the other way round, especially at the top level? In the squad that Jetty names there I'd be looking at a batter to replace Overton if he's crocked.

Buttler getting a couple of tons and Surran having a better IPL is certainly promising.

Livi has been bowling OK but his batting still flatters to deceive. Probably a Chris Lynn or Braithwaite case of bowlers just figuring out how to bowl outside his 'arc' there. Livi went dep down the power hitting route of clearing the front leg, trying to get as much power through the stroke by driving his right hip through. It was devasting but fleetingly for Livi the batter. In a flawed side that needs balance I think Mo and Livi still have a place in the squad, even if it's far from perfect that's the case. I'd hope neither is batting above 6 either.

It's frustrating that John Turner has been crocked. I really liked the look of him as a white ball bowler during the Hundred.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 26 Apr 2024, 6:57 pm

Maybe Jonny reads this forum for motivation. Laugh

Even in a high scoring IPL season, he's playing one of the best T20 knocks you'll see. 108 red from 48 balls as Punjab chase 262 with 8 balls to spare. Surran was skippering them and got absolutely blasted in the 1st innings. So did every bowler in the match other than Narine and Chahar though.

Narine has had a superb year with the ball but his action is so obviously dodgy again. Not quite at the Johan Botha or Shane Shillingford levels we were seeing a few years back. When Narine wants that bit of extra pace or action on the ball his action noticeably changes from his 'stock' delivery though. That stock delivery being the cleaner action since he completely remodelled it following the earlier issues.

Fascinating bowler even if it does look dodgy again though. Most bowlers with the issues he had disappear. He completely remodelled his action, basically lost his off-break for a time, then developed a knuckle ball to replace and started hiding the ball behind his back in his runup to prevent batters picking him. Plus he turned himself into a pinch hitting opener for a time. A very strange career but doubtlessly an influential one. Bowling that shorter length he lived on at his peak fundamentally changed how many spinners bowl in T20s. It was too short for batters to use their feet or sweep but too quick to easily pull and too accurate to offer any width to cut.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if lots of finger spinners have a knuckle ball down the line too. With Narine then being the start of it that we look back on. Given the slower arm speed of spinners it's much easy to control than for a seamer. Whilst spinners generally have huge and very strong hands anyway. Which is often the issue for some seamers with it as knuckle balls are generally held by the finger tips despite the 'knuckle' part of the name. Having a ball with no revs on it that dips so suddenly is a great change up for a finger spinner.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 27 Apr 2024, 11:51 am

Good for Bairstow.

I don't watch IPL, just look at the scorecards and headlines every now and then, but it's been a complete joke this year. Seven scores of 260+ in the IPL this year...scores of 260+ happened once between 2009 and 2023. Three aggregate scores of 500 or more; there have only been four other instances in the entirety of T20 cricket. 24 games where at least one team has scored 200+ (out of 42). And the average economy of bowlers being 9.5.

A complete joke of a competition. How can people seriously enjoy something when the balance is tilted so far in favour of the batting side, with every restriction placed on the bowling side, tiny boundaries and massive bats? One of the reasons I liked the T20 World Cup in Australia in 2022 was because there was a good contest between bat and ball throughout the competition. But when over 700 sixes have been launched in 42 games in this year's IPL....what's the point?

Duty281

Pal Joey, alfie and VTR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 27 Apr 2024, 10:08 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Rumours at Surrey that Pope and Foakes are to be rested for their forthcoming Championship game at Kent upon ECB orders.

No great surprise about Pope. However, if correct about Foakes, it suggests at the very least that England haven't discarded him for the summer at this stage. [In the match just finished against Somerset, characteristically he was very good with the gloves but one dimensional and turgid with the bat when we needed to up the rate.]

Foakes played at Canterbury last week but was rested upon ECB instructions for the current game against Hants at the Oval. His Surrey place as keeper was taken by Jamie Smith who, probably mainly because of his batting prowess and versatility, is being touted by some here and in the media as a possible Test replacement for Foakes. I'm more doubtful of Smith's chances as a Test keeper but having been at the game on day one it's only fair to say that he kept tidily conceding no byes on a green top where the ball was seaming about and snaffled the one regulation chance that came his way.

Unfortunately, Smith only made 13 with the bat but given it was a bowler's day and many names (Vince, Dawson, Sibley, Pope, Lawrence) failed, I'll let him off there. He's still averaging comfortably above 40 from his 4 completed Championship digs this season with 2 fifties and I continue to view him as a likely future Test batsman. Surrey clearly rate Smith's batting with him going in at number 4, one place above Lawrence which seems odd given the latter moved to Surrey to boost his Test hopes.

guildfordbat

Pal Joey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 29 Apr 2024, 6:12 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Duty281 wrote:https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2024/04/24/jamie-overton-t20-world-cup-back-injury-surrey/

I would certainly trust the article. When Will Macpherson was previously at the (London) Evening Standard, he was regularly dependable and well informed on Surrey matters.

When I was at the Oval for Surrey's match against Somerset the other week, Jamie Overton didn't look comfortable with the ball or in the field and appeared to be taking painkillers.

At the Oval this morning, I heard talk of Jamie Overton having a stress fracture of the back. Unconfirmed and only a rumour but doesn't sound promising.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 29 Apr 2024, 6:44 pm

Here's England's squad according to the Telegraph:

Jos Buttler (Lancs, captain), Jofra Archer (Sussex), Jonny Bairstow, Harry Brook (both Yorks), Sam Curran (Surrey), Ben Duckett (Notts), Tom Hartley (Lancs), Will Jacks, Chris Jordan (both Surrey), Liam Livingstone (Lancs), Moeen Ali (Warwicks), Adil Rashid (Yorks), Phil Salt (Lancs), Reece Topley (Surrey), Mark Wood (Durham).

No Chris Woakes is perhaps the headline. I wondered if his place were secure, and it isn't. Hartley is indeed in, as is Duckett. Jordan is in, probably ahead of J Overton. A punt on Archer also.

Bats - Buttler, Bairstow, Brook, Duckett, Salt
Spin  - Hartley, Jacks, Livingstone, Moeen, Rashid
Pace - Archer, Curran, Jordan, Topley, Wood

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Jetty Tue 30 Apr 2024, 12:17 am

Who opens the bowling? Topley and Curran or Archer and Topley?

Jetty

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 30 Apr 2024, 3:51 am

That looks believable. I share Duty’s disdain for the IPL , but the recent success in the Six Hitting Exhibition of most of those nominated bats , along with Brook and Duckett having fun in the CC , suggests the batting side of this WC really ought to be OK. Mind you , we probably thought that before the recent 50 over WC too…

Less confident about the bowling. Fitness of some a question mark and balancing the XI might be tricky. But I suppose if the conditions are anything like those currently on show in India bowling is largely irrelevant- just who can bash it the furthest. Would be nice to hope for some varied and testing surfaces but am not holding my breath.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 30 Apr 2024, 9:23 am

Duty281 wrote:Here's England's squad according to the Telegraph:

Jos Buttler (Lancs, captain), Jofra Archer (Sussex), Jonny Bairstow, Harry Brook (both Yorks), Sam Curran (Surrey), Ben Duckett (Notts), Tom Hartley (Lancs), Will Jacks, Chris Jordan (both Surrey), Liam Livingstone (Lancs), Moeen Ali (Warwicks), Adil Rashid (Yorks), Phil Salt (Lancs), Reece Topley (Surrey), Mark Wood (Durham).

No Chris Woakes is perhaps the headline. I wondered if his place were secure, and it isn't. Hartley is indeed in, as is Duckett. Jordan is in, probably ahead of J Overton. A punt on Archer also.

According to cricinfo, Archer hasn't played any competitive cricket since featuring in the IPL in early May 2023. Is he good to go? Possibly that's still be decided but it's felt better to name Archer now and bring in a replacement (?Atkinson) if necessary before the final deadline of 25th May rather than jettison someone like Atkinson after he's packed his cases if Archer is considered fit enough.

guildfordbat

king_carlos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 30 Apr 2024, 11:05 am

guildfordbat wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Here's England's squad according to the Telegraph:

According to cricinfo, Archer hasn't played any competitive cricket since featuring in the IPL in early May 2023. Is he good to go? Possibly that's still be decided but it's felt better to name Archer now and bring in a replacement (?Atkinson) if necessary before the final deadline of 25th May rather than jettison someone like Atkinson after he's packed his cases if Archer is considered fit enough.

Yeah, a slight issue could be England only have one warm up game before the final deadline. The first T20 v Pakistan is on May 22nd, the second is on deadline day. Whoever arranged that scheduling is utterly daft, if they had full knowledge of the final squad deadline. Should have been all four games before the final deadline. Good to see everyone will be leaving the IPL early to play in the series against Pakistan.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 30 Apr 2024, 11:06 am

Jetty wrote:Who opens the bowling? Topley and Curran or Archer and Topley?

Wouldn't be surprised if Moeen or Hartley (if he plays) get the first over.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 30 Apr 2024, 12:18 pm

Duty281 wrote:
Jetty wrote:Who opens the bowling? Topley and Curran or Archer and Topley?

Wouldn't be surprised if Moeen or Hartley (if he plays) get the first over.

Yep, maybe mix it up a bit and even have Jacks opening the bowling in one game.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 30 Apr 2024, 12:57 pm

alfie wrote:That looks believable.  I share Duty’s disdain for the IPL , but the recent success in the Six Hitting Exhibition of most of those nominated bats , along with Brook and Duckett having fun in the CC ,  suggests the batting side of this WC really ought to be OK. Mind you , we probably thought that before the recent 50 over WC too…

Less confident about the bowling. Fitness of some a question mark and balancing the XI might be tricky. But I suppose if the conditions are anything like those currently on show in India bowling is largely irrelevant- just who can bash it the furthest.  Would be nice to hope for some varied and testing surfaces but am not holding my breath.

Yep, particularly with most of the pacemen being injury prone and/or ageing.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 30 Apr 2024, 6:24 pm

If Jof is fit then he'll definitely bowl in the PP. Most likely top and tail with 2 first up then overs 17 and 19 or 18 and 20. If genuinely close to full whack then he's elite in all three phases but I'd presume you use him in the two where England are shorter. Especially when Dilly and Wood are best suited to the middle.

I could certainly see them trying to sneak finger spin overs in first up though. A bit like using Stokes with the new ball at the last World T20 just to facilitate others bowling where it suited them.

I'm unsure about Jordan over Woakes. That to me suggests they are on the fence over whether Jof will make it. Jordan is experienced at the death but it's been a long while since he's been standout there. In his prime he was very yorker dependent and so many batters playing the scoop definitely nullified the yorker to an extent. I'd have had Woakes instead.

1.Jos 2.Salt 3.Jacks 4.YJB 5.Brook 6.Livi/Mo 7.Surran 8.Jof 9.Wood 10.Dilly 11.Topley

It's a decent looking XI on paper.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles Tue 30 Apr 2024, 7:11 pm

I like the look of that team, really hope Archer can be the best possible version of himself

Pebbles

king_carlos and Duty281 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jetty Yesterday at 11:22 am

England fast bowling hopefuls ...

Atkinson 64.0 - 9 wickets at 20.88
Lawes 40.4 - 5 wickets at 26.80
Potts 84.3 - 6 wickets at 48.16
Stone 23.0 - 1 wicket at 74.00

Robinson 71.0 - 6 wickets at 36.16
Fisher 80.0 - 9 wickets at 38.88

Jetty

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Yesterday at 11:47 am

king_carlos wrote:If Jof is fit then he'll definitely bowl in the PP. Most likely top and tail with 2 first up then overs 17 and 19 or 18 and 20. If genuinely close to full whack then he's elite in all three phases but I'd presume you use him in the two where England are shorter. Especially when Dilly and Wood are best suited to the middle.

I could certainly see them trying to sneak finger spin overs in first up though. A bit like using Stokes with the new ball at the last World T20 just to facilitate others bowling where it suited them.

I'm unsure about Jordan over Woakes. That to me suggests they are on the fence over whether Jof will make it. Jordan is experienced at the death but it's been a long while since he's been standout there. In his prime he was very yorker dependent and so many batters playing the scoop definitely nullified the yorker to an extent. I'd have had Woakes instead.

1.Jos 2.Salt 3.Jacks 4.YJB 5.Brook 6.Livi/Mo 7.Surran 8.Jof 9.Wood 10.Dilly 11.Topley

It's a decent looking XI on paper.

I think the top five is set in stone, but I don't think all of Archer/Wood/Topley will play in a game. Archer and Wood will probably be rotated as they're injury prone, plus it leaves a long-ish tail. England have talked up Jordan's batting, so he might be at 8 or even higher. May also be two specialist spinners if conditions dictate.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Yesterday at 1:49 pm

A few squads seem to be going light on seam options. They are definitely expecting slow and low pitches that wear as the tournament goes on.

England don't have to worry about guessing what the new pitches in the US will do as they are exclusively playing in the Caribbean. I think Pollard is a really smart addition to the coaching team in that regard. He's one of the best minds in T20 cricket, was right at the forefront of many tactical developments as the game grew. Plus he knows the conditions inside out.

I can see Jordan starting out the tournament at 8. His pinch hitting has improved. I'm just a bit sceptical he'll be that much use with the bat against top bowlers though. I think I'd prioritise the better bowlers but much will depend on fitness.

Their use of Stokes in the last World T20 was so smart. What are generally the lowest scoring overs? 1st and 7th. Let's just bowl our 5th bowler there then. If they can do similar with Livi/Mo/Jacks it will really take some pressure off the other bowling regardless of Jordan being inked in or not.

He's still a magnificent fielder. This squad is much improved in that regard. The CWC squad felt stacked with guys who needed to be hidden in the field. Weaker fielders in this squad are metal legged YJB and gammy shouldered Dilly who will presumably be back at third man for most the overs he doesn't bowl. 'Hiding' one guy in the ring is doable and many teams do that to some extent. Hiding 3 or 4 fielders as they were at times in the CWC is a different story.

I'd love them to consider YJB keeping and Jos in the outfield. Buttler is a fantastic outfielder as well, particularly in the ring. Plus he could get an arm round his bowlers more as needed.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down