The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alan Shearer holds talks with Cardiff City

+3
Kay Fabe
sportform
Derbyblue
7 posters

Go down

Alan Shearer holds talks with Cardiff City Empty Alan Shearer holds talks with Cardiff City

Post by Derbyblue Tue 14 Jun 2011, 11:57 pm

Former England captain Alan Shearer has held talks with Cardiff over succeeding Dave Jones as boss of the Championship club, BBC Sport Wales understands.

The ex-Magpies manager, 40, is the latest name to be linked with the club.

Another former Newcastle boss, Chris Hughton, is also believed to have been on Cardiff's shortlist along with Watford boss Malky Mackay.

Ex-West Brom manager Roberto di Matteo and St Johnstone's Derek McInnes have also been linked to the role.

However, the odds on Shearer returning to management in the Welsh capital, having had a stint as boss of the club with which he is synonymous, shortened sharply late on Tuesday.

Shearer, a BBC Match of the Day pundit, had eight games in charge of Newcastle at the end of the 2008-09 season, but could not prevent them from slipping to relegation from the Premier League.

"I don't think the Cardiff fans mind him being English," said BBC Wales reporter James Pontin.

"What they wanted was perhaps a big name and they'll be happy that the likes of someone of his stature is being linked to club. They crave success and promotion to the Premier League. However, Shearer's record isn't great. He managed eight games and has a win ratio of 12%."

Bluebirds chairman Dato Chan Tien Ghee has arrived from Malaysia to help chief executive Gethin Jenkins and director Alan Whiteley complete their search for a new manager.

Cardiff, the defeated Championship play-off finalists in 2010, sacked Jones on 30 May after six years in charge.

The Bluebirds reached the play-offs last season but, despite boasting the likes of Craig Bellamy, Jay Bothroyd and Michael Chopra, lost to Reading at the semi-final stage.

Shearer has not returned to management since his period in charge at Newcastle.

He expressed an interest in managing the Magpies permanently after his short spell in charge but Chris Hughton was given the role and guided the club back into the top flight.

Shearer is widely regarded as one of the best strikers to have played in the Premier League.

The Newcastle-born player began his professional career at Southampton before Kenny Dalglish took him to Blackburn for a then British transfer record £3.3m in the summer of 1992.

He helped Blackburn to the runners-up spot in the 1993-94 season before guiding Rovers to the title the following season, scoring a league record 34 goals.

Shearer moved on to Newcastle in 1996 for what was at the time a world-record fee of £15m. Although he did not win a title with the Magpies, he became the club's all-time leading scorer with 206 goals from 395 appearances. He is also currently the all-time leading Premier League scorer with 260 goals.

He won 63 caps for the national side, scoring 30 goals, including five goals at Euro 96 which was enough to land him the tournament's golden boot prize.

Former Wales and Cardiff striker Nathan Blake said he was unsure as to whether Shearer would be the right choice for the Championship club.

"It's come as a big shock, a big surprise - all fans will be feeling the same," Blake told the BBC.

"As far as management is concerned there's still a lot for Alan to prove.

"I've said it many a time - if you've not played or managed in the Championship, it's a very different league to the Premiership.

"The Malaysians [owners] are new to this. The chief executive [Gethin Jenkins] at Cardiff is new to this.

"But whether or not this would be the right decision, you can only say we'd have to wait and see what the future brings.

"But it's no mean feat. It's a big ask for someone like Shearer to step down into the Championship and take a club like Cardiff, where expectation is so high, and get them to the Premiership.

"It's going to be a very, very difficult task."

Of the other candidates, Watford last week released a statement stating that "no official approach for the services" for Mackay had been received.

Mackay replaced current Swansea City boss Brendan Rodgers in the Vicarage Road hotseat in June 2009 when Rodgers left for Reading.

McInnes is currently the manager of St Johnstone and led the Perth side to the First Division title in 2009. In May, he rejected an offer to become the new Brentford boss. Hughton and Di Matteo, who led their former clubs to promotion from the Championship two seasons ago, are currently out of work.
Taken from: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13770272.stm

Who of the managers being linked with the Cardiff job do you think would be the best choice for Cardiff?

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Alan Shearer holds talks with Cardiff City Empty Re: Alan Shearer holds talks with Cardiff City

Post by sportform Wed 15 Jun 2011, 12:12 am

I can see Sam Allardyce doing well at West Ham, I can see Steve McClaren doing well at Nott'm Forest but Alan Shearer at Cardiff? I don't think so.

Shearer did play a big part in getting Newcastle to the top of the Championship but they were in the Premier League when he took over.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Alan Shearer holds talks with Cardiff City Empty Re: Alan Shearer holds talks with Cardiff City

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 15 Jun 2011, 12:50 am

Cardiff seems to be going through a major transition, better jobs than that will become available

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Wed 15 Jun 2011, 1:01 am

the-gaffer wrote:Cardiff seems to be going through a major transition, better jobs than that will become available
I agree with this but if every manager thought the same Cardiff would never get a new manager, I think it will take an experienced manager to stop the club from being in a relegation battle next season.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Wed 15 Jun 2011, 1:49 am

I would back Di Matteo to do well for them got West Brom playing good football. However being a Bristol City fan i hope Shearer goes there as i cant see him doing well there

Smile

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 15 Jun 2011, 6:29 am

He's confirmed he didn't get it now.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Wed 15 Jun 2011, 11:35 am

Alan Shearer would have been a stupid decision - for both the team and the man.

The announcement on Watford's website is typical Watford behaviour before an exit - with the intention of drving up the compensation. Last rumour I read was that Cardiff were willing to pay £200k in compo. In comparison, Brendan Rogers was allowed to leave Watford for £1m (but he did have a higher reputation, and was only at Watford for a very short period) .

I fully expect Malky Mackay to be the boss, and he would be a good appointment in my opinion. It's all change at Watford at the moment, and he may just think that he's done as much as he possibly can with a threadbare squad and no funds.

I would be massively disappointed as a Watford fan if this is the case - but it would be good for Cardiff.

MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Wed 15 Jun 2011, 11:41 am

Glad it isn't Shearer, he would have probably cost more than Mackay with his reputation and BBC contract ending.

I think Mackay would be good, as would DiMatteo or possibly Hughton. I guess my dream of Martin O'Neill won't be happening!!

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Wed 15 Jun 2011, 11:46 am

They're all good options - I don't know anything about the Scottish guy.

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Wed 15 Jun 2011, 12:12 pm

LATEST;

Watford reject an official aproach from Cardiff to apeak to Malky Mackay. A change from their statement from last week where "no official aprroach" had been made.

http://www.watfordfc.com/page/NewsDetail/0,,10400~2376588,00.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Wed 15 Jun 2011, 12:25 pm

I saw that we had approached Watford, quite surprised you said no actually Demon! Do you think they will stick to their guns, or will they budge as extra compo is mentioned?

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Jun 2011, 12:29 pm

Can't believe they didn't take Shearer. Would have meant he wasn't on MOTD next year!

I think Hughton would be better suited to the Birmingham job ahead of Cardiff though.

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Wed 15 Jun 2011, 12:34 pm

Enforcer wrote:I saw that we had approached Watford, quite surprised you said no actually Demon! Do you think they will stick to their guns, or will they budge as extra compo is mentioned?

Like I said above - I've seen this so many times already with managers and players.

I think it's a compo drive and he'll be your man - by the end of the week.

I'm glad Watford do it this way though, rather than just rolling over.

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Wed 15 Jun 2011, 12:44 pm

I agree with that Demon, you seem to be a breeding ground for managers at the moment - you don't want them going cheaper than possible! At least it helps the finances, but it can't do much for stability.

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Wed 15 Jun 2011, 2:01 pm

12:00 - Watford reject official approach

14:00 - Owner needs to discuss offer with the board

http://www.watfordfc.com/page/NewsDetail/0,,10400~2376671,00.html

What did I tell you E Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Thu 16 Jun 2011, 9:37 am

The Mirror reckons Cardiff will pay £300k - a sum that is acceptable to the Watford board, and could see the deal done today Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Thu 16 Jun 2011, 2:03 pm

Official approach accepted - Mackay will talk to Cardiff

http://www.watfordfc.com/page/NewsDetail/0,,10400~2377370,00.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down