The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please Tennis Gods?

+11
socal1976
sportslover
dummy_half
FedsFan
yummymummy
CaledonianCraig
Tenez
Simple_Analyst
legendkillar
Haddie-nuff
hawkeye
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Please Tennis Gods? Empty Please Tennis Gods?

Post by hawkeye Wed 15 Jun 2011, 1:32 pm

Please tennis gods put Federer on the opposite side of the draw to Nadal. If these two multi slam winning, multi wimbledon winning champions meet in the semi's IMO the winner of this match should get a trophy. If this happens I may be forced to avoid watching the final as a protest against injustice...

I promise if the tennis gods grant this one wish I will say nothing about any player getting a "cup cake" or nightmare draw.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Please Tennis Gods? Empty Re: Please Tennis Gods?

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 15 Jun 2011, 2:11 pm

And this will be taken down and used in evidence against you Please Tennis Gods? 3497602689

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 15 Jun 2011, 2:20 pm

I don't see as an injustice. A draw is a draw. It will serve as any opporunity for Djokovic or Murray to appear in the final.

Are you saying that as a concerned Federer fan or a concerned Nadal fan?

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Wed 15 Jun 2011, 2:29 pm

I'm sure Murray will also hope to catch a break from meeting Nadal at the Semi finals yet again. The draw is a draw but luck comes into it at times.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 15 Jun 2011, 2:47 pm

legendkiller

If this "injustice" happens (fingers crossed that it doesn't) of course it will be a pottential opportunity for anyone in the opposite side of the draw to get to the final. They won't have to play either of the best two players and odds on favourites to win the Wimbledon title in order to get there!

I can imagine quite a few players hoping that the tennis gods are kind enough to put them in the opposite side of the draw to both Nadal and Federer. I can imagine quite a few at the AELTA hoping that Murray is put in this favourable position too... but thankfully it will be in the hands of the tennis gods. Phew!

I say all this as a tennis fan. A spoiled tennis fan at that who wants to see the best against the best yet again.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 15 Jun 2011, 2:51 pm

Even if Nadal and Federer are in opposing sides of the draw, there is no guarantee that they will be in the Final. I wouldn't call it an injustice at all. Just the luck of the draw. I am hoping whoever makes the final makes a good fist of it Smile

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 15 Jun 2011, 3:04 pm

legendkiller

Of course they may not make the final even if they are in opposite sides of the draw. All I'm hoping for is that they are given a chance. If another player plays well enough to beat either fair enough and they will deserve their place in the final.

You say that you hope whoever makes it to the final will "make a good fist of it". I will personally guarantee that if Nadal and Federer get there you will see a great final (unlike some recent damp squids). So why not join me in asking the tennis gods for this small favour?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 15 Jun 2011, 3:10 pm

As a Brit hawkeye I would like to see Murray in the final. Just to see a Brit in the mens final would be enough for me. I want to see Nadal and Federer in the final of the US. Would be massive for the rivalry to have faced each other in every GS final.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed 15 Jun 2011, 4:26 pm

Well imagine if Nadal doesn't make that semi...Fed woul love to see a Djoko v Murray on the other side.

Maybe Petzchner or Haase will manage to finish the job this time....

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 15 Jun 2011, 4:28 pm

Dont have to imagine cos it isnt gonna happen Very Happy

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 15 Jun 2011, 4:32 pm

I fancy a Ward v Murray final

Laugh Laugh Laugh

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 15 Jun 2011, 4:34 pm

Well LK now that would be a turn up.... keep the home fires burning Please Tennis Gods? 479796

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 15 Jun 2011, 4:35 pm

I would try and skydive onto centre court if that ever did happen!! laughing

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 15 Jun 2011, 4:51 pm

Surely the tennis gods should be looking down on British tennis fans after 70-odd years of pain? After all Federer and Nadal have more than enough slam wins to tide them over. Whistle
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Wed 15 Jun 2011, 5:25 pm

I am getting rather bored with Fed/Nadal finals Erm

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Wed 15 Jun 2011, 5:26 pm

:run2:

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Wed 15 Jun 2011, 6:21 pm

The worst seeding is 3 and 4.

Fed would have to play Nadal in the semis if he gets that far and that surely would be the championship match.

4 is also bad for Murray as he may have to play Nadal too in the semis and most certainly it would be a defeat by Nadal.

The draw will decide who is going to win it in my opinion.

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 15 Jun 2011, 6:23 pm

.The draw will decide who is going to win it in my opinion.[/quote]

That tends to be the way in any tournament format Laugh

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 15 Jun 2011, 6:26 pm

Bored with Fed/Nad finals? A Ward Murray final? Petzner to put out the number 1 seed? Novelty over quality? If any Tennis Gods are looking they would turn away in discust that two of the best players in history are not getting the appreciation that they deserve... I hope they get their own back by doing as I ask!

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 15 Jun 2011, 6:28 pm

No-one is not appreciating it hawkeye, just asking for something slightly different.

Variety is the spice of life Smile

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Wed 15 Jun 2011, 6:33 pm

That tends to be the way in any tournament format Laugh [/quote]

Not necessarily. Some draws are top heavy i.e too many good players in one half making that section far more competitive than the other allowing some top seeds to cruise through. USO 2010 comes to mind...

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Wed 15 Jun 2011, 6:36 pm

I want to see Andy Murray in the final !!!

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 15 Jun 2011, 6:38 pm

yummymummy wrote:I want to see Andy Murray in the final !!!

Awwwwwwww bless Please Tennis Gods? 769663

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 15 Jun 2011, 6:39 pm

FedsFan wrote:
That tends to be the way in any tournament format Laugh

Not necessarily. Some draws are top heavy i.e too many good players in one half making that section far more competitive than the other allowing some top seeds to cruise through. USO 2010 comes to mind...[/quote]

I take it you didn't see the irony in the comment.

Bitter I take it from the tournament you are referring to.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 15 Jun 2011, 6:43 pm

FedsFan
You could also make the same observation at least about Murray's quarter in RG this year, although at least in part that was aided by the early loss of some of the middling seeds.

The draw always at least plays a part in determining who has the opportunity to win, but you'll usually find that the winner has had to play some bloody good tennis along the way to get there.

As an aside, I think I'd prefer Andy to be in Djokovic's half of the draw, as I think the chances of Djokovic losing before the SF are higher than the chances of Nadal losing early (and I think Andy probably has a slightly better chance of beating Djoko on grass than he does Nadal). Also, I think Federer might have a better chance of knocking Nadal over in the SF than in the final.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 15 Jun 2011, 7:00 pm

Spot on dummy-half. I totally agree.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Wed 15 Jun 2011, 7:11 pm

I think a lot of the Novak fans could well be in for a disappointment.

After his great run he may well be "burnt out" and I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't get as far as the S/F's.

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 15 Jun 2011, 7:30 pm

Lets see sportslover, I think if he gets in to the second week Novak will be a real danger to win the whole thing. I just hope Roger is on the other half of the draw, that is all i want out of the draw right now.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Wed 15 Jun 2011, 7:38 pm

socal1976 wrote:Lets see sportslover, I think if he gets in to the second week Novak will be a real danger to win the whole thing. I just hope Roger is on the other half of the draw, that is all i want out of the draw right now.

For sure I wouldn't write him off but he has taken a break without any grass court preparation which possibly asks a question!

I suppose you could also say the same about Federer but his withdrawal from Halle was down to injury!?!? Wink

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 15 Jun 2011, 7:45 pm

Tenez wrote:Maybe Petzchner or Haase will manage to finish the job this time....

Or Falla Tenez?
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 15 Jun 2011, 7:52 pm

At the end of the day in these tournaments the cream always finds it's way to the top. We know Federer and Nadal produce great matches but they aren't always what I'd call classics. Similarly, we have seen great battles between other top players Murray V Nadal - some great battles there with varying results and Murray V Djokovic with their last encounter in Rome being a classic. So bring the tennis on and let the best man win.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by strawberry70 Wed 15 Jun 2011, 8:37 pm

I'm torn between not wanting Roger & Rafa to meet in the semi final cos it just seems wrong, and the fact that I have tickets to the semis and seeing them play each other at Wimbledon would be my dream match to see!!!

Very Happy
strawberry70
strawberry70

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Jun 2011, 8:43 pm

You lucky thing having tickets Strawberry!
You have a dilemma indeed.

ps. Welcome to the board OK
How did you hear about the site?

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 15 Jun 2011, 8:44 pm

I love you strawberry, take me with you Smile

Hug

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by strawberry70 Wed 15 Jun 2011, 8:45 pm

thank you & sorry about the unecessary gloating

I was an occasional 606 poster and regular reader, so heard about this board on there.
strawberry70
strawberry70

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 15 Jun 2011, 8:47 pm

Welcome to the forum strawberry

Enjoy the debates Smile

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Jun 2011, 8:50 pm

Good stuff Strawberry OK
Welcome aboard.

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 15 Jun 2011, 10:30 pm

Strawberry

I can very much understand your dilemma and would love to be in your position in order to see how it would affect my judgement.

CaledonianCraig

I can only guess that you are either a Murray or Djokovic fan to view that particular match as a "classic". Federer and Nadal are both all time greats. Everytime they meet in a GS final the match has the potential to become a classic not just because of the tennis they are capable of playing but because of the historical significance of the match up.

One of my favourite matches of last year was Verdasco Ferrer at last years US Open. However I wouldn't presume to call it a "classic" nor hope that these two players meet in a GS final... Sorry David and Fernando.

Anyway it seems I am in a minority here as most appear to want an easy route to the final for Djokovic, Murray or another surprise finalist who will put up little resistance to the winner of a potential Nadal Federer final. Sigh...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 15 Jun 2011, 10:37 pm

hawkeye wrote:Strawberry

I can very much understand your dilemma and would love to be in your position in order to see how it would affect my judgement.

CaledonianCraig

I can only guess that you are either a Murray or Djokovic fan to view that particular match as a "classic". Federer and Nadal are both all time greats. Everytime they meet in a GS final the match has the potential to become a classic not just because of the tennis they are capable of playing but because of the historical significance of the match up.

One of my favourite matches of last year was Verdasco Ferrer at last years US Open. However I wouldn't presume to call it a "classic" nor hope that these two players meet in a GS final... Sorry David and Fernando.

Anyway it seems I am in a minority here as most appear to want an easy route to the final for Djokovic, Murray or another surprise finalist who will put up little resistance to the winner of a potential Nadal Federer final. Sigh...

To me it doesn't matter who meets in a GS final. A final is a final. No-one deserves one on merit or historical performance. I have seen matches that haven't involved Nadal and Federer and I am happy to deem them as classics.

Every match has potential of being a classic regardless of who plays in it.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by sonic_boom10 Wed 15 Jun 2011, 10:40 pm

socal1976 wrote:Lets see sportslover, I think if he gets in to the second week Novak will be a real danger to win the whole thing. I just hope Roger is on the other half of the draw, that is all i want out of the draw right now.
If Djokovic played Federer ar Wimbledon, Federer would breeze passed Djokovic in straight sets

sonic_boom10

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 15 Jun 2011, 10:53 pm

I think there are plenty of banana skins in the first week that the top 4 could slip on...the draw will be key in avoiding guys like Sod, Delpo, Raonic, Berdy, etc. And then you get these amazing matches on grass that dont seem to happen elsewhere (perhaps the place just motivates the lower players against the top guys more), and you cant predict. Them, e.g. tough matches against Falla, Haase and Petzchner last year.

There's dark horses and then there's black horses! I think one of the top 4 may well slip to a "skin" in the first week this year...
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 15 Jun 2011, 11:21 pm

lydian

I think one of the top 4 may well slip to a "skin" in the first week this year...

Yes I agree. Its unlikely that the top 4 seeds will make it through to the semi's. But chances are quite high that Federer and Nadal will. Since 2003 (apart from one year) Federer has always at least made the final. Since 2006 (apart from one year) Nadal has always at least made the final. Its not just me that thinks this. Betting odds for these two players suggest that many agree with me.

This is all the more reason to hope that Federer and Nadal are on opposite sides of the draw. If both Murray and Djokovic go out early we may have the bizzare spectacle of having Nadal and Federer fight it out to play... urmm Petzchner. (Not that some wouldn't enjoy this "surprise" final especially the winner of the Nadal Federer semi!)

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by strawberry70 Wed 15 Jun 2011, 11:28 pm

I hope they do al make it to the semis Wink

But Hawkeye, I agree with you, I don't think they all will. Have a feeling Djokovic will still up early now that the winning streak is over - think he will have a let down and prob lose to someone unexpected early on. Which is not to say I hope that will happen.

Can't see either Federer or Nadal losing early, and Murray? who knows?
strawberry70
strawberry70

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 16 Jun 2011, 7:53 am

I think in this tournament I could see Novak having trouble early in the tournament. But usually Novak is pretty good at fighting his way through a tough match in the first three rounds and finding his way into the quarters and semis. Personally any final between the top 4 would be great for tennis fans. I just hope that we don't get a darkhorse gets rolled in straight sets in the final.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 16 Jun 2011, 1:10 pm

lydian wrote:
Tenez wrote:Maybe Petzchner or Haase will manage to finish the job this time....

Or Falla Tenez?
Et Tu! Lydian. Stay away from the bait. laughing

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 16 Jun 2011, 1:15 pm

Much rather see Fed/Nadal in the same half. Some of Fed's demons need to be exorcised outside the context of the final.

Andy does deserve a 'kinder' draw. Berdy, Sod and some of the younger guys (Dolgo, Raonic, et al) may also surprise.

Fedal was a two-horse race, but Fedalovic is a three-horse race which will make fans of each have preferences.

Borg calls it one of the 'most open' W's for past several years. Reminds me a bit of 1999-2002.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 16 Jun 2011, 1:54 pm

Good Fedalovic, I like that laverfan, very creative. i think wimbeldon is open this year for sure as Rafa although coming off a 6th FO doesn't look quite as dominant. Roger looks to be in good form as do the other favorites Murray and Novak. For me the USO is going to be maybe the most open grandslam in recent memory. Because you have the current top 4 as a threat and you also will have soderling, Berdych, and Del po coming into the mix as legitimate threats at the tournament. Del Po more so than the other two.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 16 Jun 2011, 2:40 pm

laverfan

"Andy does deserve a 'kinder' draw."

Good Grief! Even kinder than the French? I presume you are a Murray fan so I can understand you may "want" him to have another free pass to the semi's but why does he "deserve" it at the expense of other players?

I am not asking the Tennis Gods to favour a particular player I'm just asking that they be fair and put the two almost equal favourites for the title at opposite sides of the draw.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 16 Jun 2011, 3:18 pm

hawkeye wrote:laverfan

"Andy does deserve a 'kinder' draw."

Good Grief! Even kinder than the French? I presume you are a Murray fan so I can understand you may "want" him to have another free pass to the semi's but why does he "deserve" it at the expense of other players?

The draw gets tougher at QF/SF/F stage anyway. There is no way around that. Agree with you re the French and Murray. Hug He played well at Queens though.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 16 Jun 2011, 3:19 pm

socal1976 wrote:Good Fedalovic, I like that laverfan, very creative.
Hug

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next