The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Turner parts with Newport Gwent Dragons

2 posters

Go down

Turner parts with Newport Gwent Dragons  Empty Turner parts with Newport Gwent Dragons

Post by Adam D Fri 11 Feb 2011 - 11:02

Newport Gwent Dragons have announced that coach Paul Turner has left the Welsh region.

Turner was relieved of his duties on 28 January while the Dragons conducted "various investigations", with a disciplinary hearing expected.

But in a statement issued on Friday the Dragons said that Turner's employment had ceased "by mutual agreement", ending his six years in charge.

Assistant coach Darren Edwards will take over until the end of the season.

The statement went on to express the Dragons' thanks to Turner "for the work he has done in past years and to wish him all the very best in the future".

There are also comments attributed to Turner, saying: "I've enjoyed my six years at the Dragons and am immensely proud to have been involved with developing this region. I wish all the players and staff my best wishes for the remainder of the season."

Previously, Dragons team manager Robert Beale had confirmed that the investigation being carried out had nothing to do with their on-field performance.

full story and source - bbc website - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/my_club/ng_dragons/9379391.stm

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Turner parts with Newport Gwent Dragons  Empty Turner parts with Newport Gwent Dragons

Post by ospreylian Fri 11 Feb 2011 - 11:49

Sad day for the Dragons.
Turner worked miracles with the budget he had, and in the last couple of years things were beginning to gel.
WRU, the bane of every rugby fan in Wales have i feel, had a part to play in his departure. Also the Western Mail and Andy Howell are not guilt free.
WRU want Darren Edwards to take over, much as they did with Holley at the Ospreys, but my instinct would be to go for a combination of both Edwards and the returning Lyn Jones.
Together they could form the "dream team".

ospreylian

Back to top Go down