The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Honest insight from those in the Know......

+2
Artful_Dodger
BelfastDickVet
6 posters

Go down

An Honest insight from those in the Know...... Empty An Honest insight from those in the Know......

Post by BelfastDickVet Thu 16 Jun 2011, 12:42 am

I would like to gain the honest opinion of the wider 606v2 community on their honest opinions of the in coming ulster players, i do understand that many of you do not give two hoots about who ulster have signed for next year but i would like to know what views people have on them. Callum Black??? is he a good scrumager, whats he like round the park, he is a decent lifter??? Lewis Stevenson, I know he was considered better that touhy while they were both at the chiefs, is this still the case, i doubt it, how is he in the loose, could he be our next enforcer, is he injury prone?

what about our big name imports, John Afoa is a true talent on paper, i personally like what i see, but as a tighthead myself i do have a soft spot for front rows, will he fill Botha's shoes (Mighty big ask) by this i mean on the field only, there is no way he could fill his coaching role! can he scrumage, i have seen his loose play and is something else! Jared Payne, what a player, i have watched him with the blues this season and he has been fantastic, like Afoa, he has been one of the go to guys for the blues, can he bring that special something which will help Ulster get to the next level this coming season, will he pass on his wisdom to the like of Spence, D'arcy, Marshal, Gilroy, Cave etc. I really can't wait to see him and Rory Best play together both in the loose and in the scrum!

Again i know many of you really don’t care about this, but with Ulster resurgance this season do the users of 606v2 believe that these players give this progressing team the go to power and experience that it needs to step up another level. Are we developing into a side that should be feared, a side that should be considered a potential threat.

i personally think that the litmus test for us will be leinster next season, if this mix of home grown talent returning and foreign talent coming in can lead us to a convincing victory over them, i will know we are on the right track!

BelfastDickVet

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/rdvcrfc/

Back to top Go down

An Honest insight from those in the Know...... Empty Re: An Honest insight from those in the Know......

Post by Artful_Dodger Thu 16 Jun 2011, 12:55 am

I think the signing of Jared Payne is inspired, especially given that its not one of the soon to be 4 NIQ spots, the Blues have an allstar backline and Jared Payne has stood out above the All Blacks they have this season. John Afoa is also the best option available to Ulster and im not in the slightest bit disappointed. Really the only other prop of that class on the market was Neemia Tialata who's off to Bayonne, I would take Afoa over him. Devestating in the loose and although we had a serious scrummaging front row with Court and Botha, I think McAllister and Afoa in the loose will be just as good. I expect to see a lot more of McAllister this season, Court still a great player of course.

I know next to nothing about the more low key signings.

First choice Ulster team I would like to see next season.

15 - Jared Payne
14 - Andrew Trimble
13 - Nevin Spence
12 - Paddy Wallace
11 - Craig Gilroy
10 - Ian Humphreys
9 - Ruan Pienaar
8 - Pedrie Wannenburg
7 - Chris Henry/Willie Faloon
6 - Stephen Ferris
5 - Dan Tuohy
4 - Johann Muller
3 - John Afoa
2 - Rory Best
1 - Tom Court/Paddy McAllister

That team could tangle with Europe's best in my opinion. I think the next 2 seasons is going to Ulster shot at winning something, after that we will need to look at a bit of change again. Next 2 seasons crucial.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

An Honest insight from those in the Know...... Empty Re: An Honest insight from those in the Know......

Post by Notch Thu 16 Jun 2011, 1:30 am

A lot has been written about Afoa and Payne, I'm more interested in the three lower profile Irish qualified signings- Mike McComish, Callum Black and Lewis Stevenson.

Stevenson left Ulster to earn his stripes at Exeter Chiefs and soon found himself back in the Premiership with Harlequins. They were really impressed with him last year, a hard-working lock who endeared himself to the fans. Signs are good and the competition for the spots at lock should be tasty.

Black I know least about; I know he's an English-born loosehead prop of Irish descent who is very quick over the ground and excels in the loose. Sounds familiar- we're looking for a mobile hard-working pack. Hints at the kind of game we want to play imo.

McComish is the last one; not a player who has been incredibly notable thus far in his career. He gets a shot at playing for his home province and we welcome him back to Ulster. Connacht fans are not bemoaning his loss as much as some other high profile leavers and right now it seems we're looking at him as cheap cover.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Thu 16 Jun 2011, 1:42 am

Absolutely agree about the mobile pack and the game we are trying to play, thats why I'm hoping to see a lot more of McAllister this season, really strong in the loose and if we had him along side Afoa.......

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 16 Jun 2011, 9:12 am

True that Stevenson was considered by most to be ahead of Tuohy in the reckoning when they were both at the Chiefs

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 16 Jun 2011, 11:19 am

Stevenson is an excellent addition and between him and Touhy it will be a real dog fight - huge improvement on Caldwell
McCormish is no more than a squad player - slight improvement on Anderson due to his ability to play across the entire backrow.
Black is decent in the loose but will be 3rd choice LH. For a 3rd choice he is an excellent addition - an improvement on the Bear (still don't know what is happening to him - no contract for next year yet and no sign of any movement - just being droped perhaps)

So comparing them to their closest equivalent I say they are all a step up.

Last edited by geoff998rugby on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 16 Jun 2011, 11:55 am

It's interesting that McComish's stand out game last season was against...........Ulster!!

Did he not get MOM?

I think he might just surprise a few people. He has a good workrate, can carry and forage reasonably well.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down