The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

KHAN s Judah undercard faces HBO TV Blackout

5 posters

Go down

KHAN s Judah undercard faces HBO TV Blackout Empty KHAN s Judah undercard faces HBO TV Blackout

Post by bhb001 Thu 16 Jun 2011, 9:04 am

I saw this on the World Boxing News this morning. The black out of the undercard is obviously bad news for the other fighters. Worse for Kahn is the last paragraph that states that the fight isn't on pay per view aymore. Is this a trip back to SKY or does a terrestial channel can a chance?

"According to ESPN boxing correspondent Dan Rafael, the undercard for the light-welterweight showdown between WBA champion Amir Khan and IBF champion Zab Judah will not be televised by HBO next month. The fight card will take place at The Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas and with details of most of the bill only being released this week, it will be a blow to the summer event.

Former prospective Khan opponent Lamont Peterson heads the back-up fights as he takes on Victor Cayo in an eliminator to meet the winner of the main event, whilst former 154lb fighter Joel Julio continues in his move down to welterweight against Antwone Smith and super-middleweight ‘Kid Chocolate’ Peter Quillin faces Tarvis Simms.

Judah’s brother Josiah and Jose Alejo will face un-named opponents as the other confirmed bouts.

It will be a further blow to the undercard fighters as the bill will now not be broadcast in the United Kingdom on Satellite Pay-Per-View channel Primetime TV and the exposure some of the fighters stood to gain on British soil will now be out of reach"

bhb001

Back to top Go down

KHAN s Judah undercard faces HBO TV Blackout Empty Re: KHAN s Judah undercard faces HBO TV Blackout

Post by Rowley Thu 16 Jun 2011, 9:12 am

Would have to say on the back of Sky pulling the plug this is the last thing Khan needs. If true hopefully this will be the wake up Khan needs to make changes as it does kind of suggest his team do not really know what they are doing because like it or not HBO are the biggest game in the states as Sky are on this side of the pond and this suggests his relationship with HBO is not as rock solid as it should be or needs to be with him having no major player behind him in the UK.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

KHAN s Judah undercard faces HBO TV Blackout Empty Re: KHAN s Judah undercard faces HBO TV Blackout

Post by huw Thu 16 Jun 2011, 9:29 am

Is it just me that is thinking this is a half decent match up, a chance of another title when the only other unification is unavailable at the moment?

Do Sky have any connection with HBO?

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 16 Jun 2011, 9:36 am

Don't think so Huw, from what I understand individual promoters retain the overseas rights so they are sold on a fight by fight basis to the various interested overseas countries. There were rumours on the back of the Mcloskey farce Golden boy were going to sever their ties with Sky but would like to think with a little time cooler heads will prevail as there is no realistic other option because sticking overseas fights with no British fighters on PPV on Primetime is not really viable because with their limited advertising budget would have to think the bulk of them would tank pretty badly.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu 16 Jun 2011, 12:28 pm

The article suggest that primetime is not picking up any of the event, but I have not had any independent verification yet

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Thu 16 Jun 2011, 12:59 pm

bhb001 wrote:The article suggest that primetime is not picking up any of the event, but I have not had any independent verification yet

Just by what you have quoted it suggest the main even is.

"According to ESPN boxing correspondent Dan Rafael, the undercard for the light-welterweight showdown between WBA champion Amir Khan and IBF champion Zab Judah will not be televised by HBO next month"

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu 16 Jun 2011, 1:11 pm

AdZacO wrote:
bhb001 wrote:The article suggest that primetime is not picking up any of the event, but I have not had any independent verification yet

Just by what you have quoted it suggest the main even is.

"According to ESPN boxing correspondent Dan Rafael, the undercard for the light-welterweight showdown between WBA champion Amir Khan and IBF champion Zab Judah will not be televised by HBO next month"

Or from reading this "It will be a further blow to the undercard fighters as the bill will now not be broadcast in the United Kingdom on Satellite Pay-Per-View channel Primetime TV" it could mean that primetime are not carrying the whole of the bill. Not the clearest article ever written, although I tend to lean towards your interpretation!! I was hoping that some of the august crowd on this site would have better information.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 Jun 2011, 1:41 pm

I watched a clip of Judah's last time out and noted that he has his OWN promotional company. Their logo was emblazoned on the canvas. I wonder if Judah's company is in some way to blame for this blackout.

"Khan Promotions and Judah Promotions" Doesn't exactly get the pulse racing does it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Thu 16 Jun 2011, 2:25 pm

is there another fight scheduled for that night? perhaps they're showing 2 or 3 fights around the world
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu 16 Jun 2011, 2:57 pm

There is nothing obvious on boxing recs and nothing on their admittedly abysmal website, so none of it makes sense

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down