The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Future of TNA Wrestling...

+4
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
ADMIN
Kay Fabe
Mr H
8 posters

Go down

The Future of TNA Wrestling... Empty The Future of TNA Wrestling...

Post by Mr H Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:24 pm

Firstly i just want to say i watched Slammiversary last night and like many on here i thought overall it was a decent PPV. Hated the finish to the World Title match, but other than that i have to admit i enjoyed it.

Now then, thats not to say i'm all of a sudden TNA's number 1 fan, because i'm not, there are so many things wrong with TNA and i'm hoping to touch on some of them but i do hold my hands up and admit that i watch TNA with a fine tooth comb and probably over scrutinise a bit too much, more so than i do with the WWE, so i will try to keep it balanced and not too harsh. I dont want to give a history lesson, or even talk too much about the present, i want to talk about the future of TNA and their ambition, if they have any.

Basically since January 4th 2010 when Hulk Hogan joined TNA, expectations were huge and we thought they would grow as a wrestling promotion and challenge the WWE in the ratings. As we all know that hasnt been the case. TNA have plodded along achieving ratings around the 1.0 mark for 18 months. But what have they done about it? Absolutely nothing. Now i dont know the guy, but im fairly sure if Raw's rating dropped under the 2.0 mark consistently for even 3 months, i'd expect Vince McMahon to make changes. He wouldnt sit there and let it happen for 18 months without trying to rectify the situation. So why do TNA seem content with their weekly ratings? I havent noticed any significant changes which indicate to me that they are trying to up the ante and make improvements.

The most worrying thing from a financial standpoint is that you cant see how their revenue can be sufficient enough to cover their expenditure. The biggest outgoings must be wages and the TV deal. TNA have got some huge names on their books who will no doubt command a lofty wage - Hogan, Bischoff, Flair, Angle, Sting, RVD, Hardy. Big big names in pro-wrestling and they wont come cheaply. They will also be paying a massive sum to Spike. As we know with the whole Daffney debacle, there are issues with medical and insurance side of things so that itself is a huge worry that the funds possibly arent there to cover certain elements of wrestlers' insurance.

Then if you look at the revenue, where does the money come from? Tickets at the Impact Zone are free, i understand you have to pay to get into Universal Studios then you get access to the venue but i expect TNA would only get a percentage of this. PPV buyrates arent exactly through the roof, and i dont expect merchandise sales are booming. So how on earth do they create enough income to stay in business?

So i have some questions -

1) The roster is there, there is an abundance of talent employed by TNA, so why do viewers not tune in to watch them?

2) Are TNA content with their rating and have they given up hope of becoming a major force?

3) Will Spike lose patience with the low ratings and is there any chance they would pull the plug? And is there any chance the powers that be, The Carters and The Jarretts, decide to stop pumping in the cash?

For me, there are 2 big problems which need sorting.

1) It is an absolute no brainer that TNA have to start going on the road with Impact, they have to. It is the best way to advertise the promotion, fans from different States get to watch the live shows and if they like what they see the chances are they will tune in for future episodes. Bigger arenas, larger exposure, high quality production. It will all help to try and legitimise TNA as a major wrestling promotion. Not only that, but if they charge, lets say about $30 a ticket and sell out 15,000 capacity arenas every week, thats nearly $500,000 a week they'll make on ticket sales. I cannot believe they havent trialed it, at the end of the day if it didnt work they can go back to Florida.

2) The creative writing of the show has been a shambles for far too long. There are too many chefs stirring the broth and i believe thats the main reason Foley said enough was enough. If they want to keep Russo, fine, but for christ sake give fueds a chance to develop, let them simmer, dont change from heel to face and face to heel every month, do the simple things right and minimize unnecessary swerves and screwjobs. If TNA didnt try to cram a years worth of storylines into a month i'd probably enjoy it more and i expect the casual fan would too, and hence ratings might improve.

So how do you view the future of TNA? Will things ever get any better? And what do they need to do in order to finally after 18 months, take the next step?

Thanks for reading.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

The Future of TNA Wrestling... Empty Re: The Future of TNA Wrestling...

Post by Kay Fabe Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:50 pm

Spike wont lose patience of TNA because they are by a huge distance the highest rated show on the station, I also think its wrong to say TNA haven't done anything in an attempt to improve ratings, infact I'd say they've done to much at times and done 180s and thats been the problem for me

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:51 pm

Great read Mr H
I know Russo is often one for criticism and often it’s with due cause. But prior to Hogan taking over he was pushing all the right buttons with TNA. We had Daniels v AJ main eventing, Morgan getting an uber push, Joe challenging, MCMG and Beer Money going at it.
For me he can still be used, he just needs someone that has his screwed on to work with, to let him come up with the ideas but have the sense to say no on the ones that won’t work.
It was a great shame that Jim Cornette was released from his contract for failing to support creative, he’s a miserable sod but he knows the business and puts it first over self promotion and egos.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:58 pm

Gaff, what do you think TNA have done then to try and improve ratings?

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:09 pm

What have they not done H? They tried pushing RVD, they turned Anderson heel/face/heel, they created Fortune, they turned Jeff and created Immortal, they've brought back Sting, they tried to build Abyss, they've used the whole real life situation with Jarrett and Angle, and the whole power play with Dixie and Hogan and the latest with the failed Foley angle, apart from that they tried moving to Mondays live, they changed the ring, they tried an ECW reunion

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:23 pm

I'd say the biggest thing they changed was the feel of the backstage parts - which I like. They tried to give it a reality TV/hidden camera feel which gives TNA a unique style. So to say they've done nothing is wrong.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:35 pm

Imo TNA needs to minimise Hogan and Biscoffs roles no-one believes they are actually in charge so why carry on the pretense .
I agree before they arrived TNA were actually making a good go at it pushing the right wrestlers to elevate the show.
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:39 pm

In the 3 months before Hogan got there TNA where just killing time and decided to give original TNA fans a last hurrah

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:43 pm

the-gaffer wrote:What have they not done H? They tried pushing RVD, they turned Anderson heel/face/heel, they created Fortune, they turned Jeff and created Immortal, they've brought back Sting, they tried to build Abyss, they've used the whole real life situation with Jarrett and Angle, and the whole power play with Dixie and Hogan and the latest with the failed Foley angle, apart from that they tried moving to Mondays live, they changed the ring, they tried an ECW reunion

That is an excellent point Gaffer - The problem with TNA or Impact Wrestling or whatever they call themselves these days is not they are making no effort; it is that some of these choices have been poorly thought through and badly executed. But above all it tells me something about the state of pro wrestling in the 21st century:

1. There is apathy amongst casual fans to fully get behind a promotion - fans aren't connecting with the Promotion the way they did with WCW or ECW during the monday night wars.
2. Bringing ex WCW/ECW talent has not brought back the 'disenfranchised' fans that TNA thought were missing and would stimulate ratings.

Now what are the reasons for that? I would suggest the following:

1. Hogan, Bishoff et al have proven themselves to be one trick ponies - Immortal is no NWO - it isn't as iconic and the atmosphere isn't right. Sting is still playing his uber face/anti hero avenger role but without the proper platform to really play it on, it feels somewhat out of place/inappropriate. Hogan/Bishoff/Jerrett aren't really changing the world of wrestling anymore and the future of wrestling isn't really under threat from them like back in the NWO days.
2. The apathy from casual fans may be the result of: A) the rise of the UFC B) the lack of originality in the product C) the aesthetics of the impact! zone - let's face it TNA looked and still looks to a degree small time.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:44 pm

the-gaffer wrote:In the 3 months before Hogan got there TNA where just killing time and decided to give original TNA fans a last hurrah

Do you honestly think Hogan contributes anything to making TNA better ? its all about opinion but for me its just his fading name
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by The Awesome Giz Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:52 pm

I'de have to admit UFC is easily bigger than TNA now, and the real threat to WWE.

I'm a massive UFC fan, been watching it for about 10 years now, and its easy to see why people have switched over to it. Even Brock Lesnar did, Batista wants to, I think we could see alot more of this in the future.

The Awesome Giz

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:58 pm

Ok, perhaps i was wrong in saying they've done 'nothing', but i do think they could have done more out of the ring to try and change things. Promotional events, charity events, live shows out of Florida. Hell even encourage their wrestlers to use social networking sites to create a stir and entice viewers.

Kingkenny makes a good point, what exactly does Hogan offer as an onscreen talent to justify leaving alot of top tier wrestlers off the card? For a 2hr time slot, and a roster that big, they dont half waste time with the Hogan/Bischoff in ring segments that nobody is really interested in.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:01 pm

KINGKENNY7HEAVEN wrote:
the-gaffer wrote:In the 3 months before Hogan got there TNA where just killing time and decided to give original TNA fans a last hurrah

Do you honestly think Hogan contributes anything to making TNA better ? its all about opinion but for me its just his fading name
Do I think Hogan makes TNA better? Absolutely not, I never said that, I just gave the answer as to why TNA pushed who they did between the Hogan signing and him debuting

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:17 pm

The Awesome Giz wrote:I'de have to admit UFC is easily bigger than TNA now, and the real threat to WWE.

I'm a massive UFC fan, been watching it for about 10 years now, and its easy to see why people have switched over to it. Even Brock Lesnar did, Batista wants to, I think we could see alot more of this in the future.

I think UFC has surpassed WWE - their PPV sales are way bigger than WWE - the only PPV that comes close is Wrestle Mania but I believe UFC/MMA has overtaken wrestling in popularity. Fans enjoy the 'real' thing, not gimmicks or the pantomime theatrics of storylines and referees. Guys like Hogan and Flair who still want to or are still 'wrestling' well into retirement age are the perfect example of why many people prefer MMA - watching two highly skilled fighters in their prime do battle.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:24 pm

I don't think UFC is a "threat" to WWE.

They are entirely different products - one is fighting, and one is a theatre production. People who want to watch wrestling, will always watch wrestling - their desire to watch wrestling would never be satisfied by UFC because it doesn't offer the same content. I love wrestling, I don't "get" UFC.

As for TNA - The impression I get is that everyone who watches it, does so as a supplement to watching WWE. As someone said above, I don't think there is any brand loyalty in wrestling viewing at the moment - not like during the Monday Night Wars - so currently, if TNA's viewing figures are to increase, I think it would depend on wrestling's popularity as a whole increasing - which would be WWE's task. Because that's the product that new viewers would have already heard of, and is a lot more accessible.

Either that or WWE would have to kill a newborn child, wrapped in a Star Spangled Banner, live on air, on September 11th to lose its own viewers to TNA.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:24 pm

the-gaffer wrote:
KINGKENNY7HEAVEN wrote:

Do I think Hogan makes TNA better? Absolutely not, I never said that, I just gave the answer as to why TNA pushed who they did between the Hogan signing and him debuting

Ok gaffer , i just wanted your opinion on Hogans take over ,i should of added that the wrestlers pushed in that period were the backbone of the company and that after Hogan arrived they should of maintain the push . my mistake
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:42 pm

Electric Demon wrote:I don't think UFC is a "threat" to WWE.

They are entirely different products - one is fighting, and one is a theatre production. People who want to watch wrestling, will always watch wrestling - their desire to watch wrestling would never be satisfied by UFC because it doesn't offer the same content. I love wrestling, I don't "get" UFC.

As for TNA - The impression I get is that everyone who watches it, does so as a supplement to watching WWE. As someone said above, I don't think there is any brand loyalty in wrestling viewing at the moment - not like during the Monday Night Wars - so currently, if TNA's viewing figures are to increase, I think it would depend on wrestling's popularity as a whole increasing - which would be WWE's task. Because that's the product that new viewers would have already heard of, and is a lot more accessible.

Either that or WWE would have to kill a newborn child, wrapped in a Star Spangled Banner, live on air, on September 11th to lose its own viewers to TNA.

You are absolutely right Electric Demon; UFC and wrestling are two very different and separate products and can be enjoyed independently of each other. However as a sport UFC has risen to prominence because it offers people a 'real' alternative to wrestling. Due to its emphasis on combining collegiate style wrestling takedowns with the submission grappling of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and the kick boxing of many other disciplines there is so much scope and potential. The outcome is not predetermined so it's the genuine suspense and excitment of who will win. WWE has in recent times gone to the opposite extreme - emphasising the theatre rather than the sport. For someone who wants to watch two athletes competing against one another wrestling falls shorts of many peoples' hopes and expectations; whereas UFC delivers.

However your point about the onus being on WWE to increase the popularity of wrestling again I think is very intriguing and probably quite true. WWE has the biggest market and audience and most people equate wrestling with the WWE if they know nothing else about wrestling. In that respect I think that WWE have fallen short over the last 10 years - the emphasis on sports entertainment; the PG rating, shifting the demographic from 18-24 year olds to families has resulted in a rather tame product that comes across as cringeworthy even to alot of diehard wrestling fans. I don't think the WWE are going to do enough in the general publics mind to change ratings trends. As much as Vince wants the WWE to be able to rub shoulders with the rest of Hollywood's elite media products I don't think it is going to happen - at least not in the ring. How successful their film franchise will turn out to be is another thing altogether.

So TNA will suffer in the wake of WWE's inability to reverse ratings trends and so pro wrestling finds itself in an odd situation - it remains for the most part a niche interest or hobby and WWE's attempt at going mainstream has sacrificed the integrity of their business in order to do it.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:54 pm

Future of TNA ?
1- A Cena / Hardy type cashcow would be good to bring in revenue , wrestling being pushed more PG rated toward younger fans who buy a lot of t-shirts and caps / masks

2 - Need to Keep the talent , mention of Gunner ,Crimson maybe needing WWE to help bring on their talents i agree great idea about Gunner in mankind type war veteran gimmick . TNA need to develope the characters better , TNA cant afford to lose talent to WWE

3 - Above all else better writing
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:18 pm

“It is an absolute no brainer that TNA have to start going on the road with Impact, they have to. It is the best way to advertise the promotion, fans from different States get to watch the live shows and if they like what they see the chances are they will tune in for future episodes. Bigger arenas, larger exposure, high quality production. It will all help to try and legitimise TNA as a major wrestling promotion. Not only that, but if they charge, lets say about $30 a ticket and sell out 15,000 capacity arenas every week, thats nearly $500,000 a week they'll make on ticket sales. I cannot believe they havent trialed it, at the end of the day if it didnt work they can go back to Florida.”

TNA will not draw 15,000 fans to an episode of Impact. They could give away the tickets for nothing and they still wouldn’t draw 15,000 fans. They’d be lucky to draw 3 or 4,000 fans if they gave away the tickets for nothing. The brand awareness just isn’t there, and it would take years to grow. And the money isn’t there to cover the huge losses it would entail in the meantime. Logistically, you’re talking about transporting all the wrestlers and backstage workers, all of the rings, stage props, TV cameras, and getting all the production right (sound, camera work, etc) in a different alien setting every week. WWE makes it look easy, but it’s very difficult. The idea just doesn’t add up. In addition, the argument about TNA being held back by the Impact Zone doesn’t add up. Plenty of wrestling promotions have succeeded in the past despite running the same venues in front of the same fans regularly. The Impact Zone looks far more impressive than a quarter-full arena.

“What have they not done H? They tried pushing RVD, they turned Anderson heel/face/heel, they created Fortune, they turned Jeff and created Immortal, they've brought back Sting, they tried to build Abyss, they've used the whole real life situation with Jarrett and Angle, and the whole power play with Dixie and Hogan and the latest with the failed Foley angle, apart from that they tried moving to Mondays live, they changed the ring, they tried an ECW reunion”

They pushed all those people and it meant nothing. They could sign Austin, Cena and The Rock and within a couple of months it would mean nothing. It’s not about who they push, although that hasn’t always been great. And it isn’t enough to just throw someone out there because they are a star. You have to make them a star in the context of your storylines. That’s why great actors don’t save bad movies or TV programmes. It’s about the philosophy of the booking. They have plenty of talented performers (and many of those performers have never been perceived as a star, but could be very easily) but those performers are totally let down by the storytelling.

“There is apathy amongst casual fans to fully get behind a promotion - fans aren't connecting with the Promotion the way they did with WCW or ECW during the monday night wars.”

I’d argue there are some loyal TNA fans, but their role is mostly an apologist one. The reason people don’t love TNA or its wrestlers is nothing to do with the wrestlers or fans themselves, or the Impact Zone, or anything else but bad writing. It’s so bad that even the fans/apologists know something isn’t quite right. The entire ethos of the company is rotten. If the company was better managed, and the stories were written properly, the fanbase would grow.

“I don't think UFC is a "threat" to WWE”

They are rivals for PPV buys, and at $50 a time I imagine there are a lot of people who like both wrestling and MMA but can only afford one PPV a month. In that sense they are rivals.

In addition, they are both combat sports, one simulated and the other legitimate. They are more similar than, say, wrestling and badminton. There must be significant crossover, I’d have thought. They both have a fighting platform (ring/octagon), they both revolve around (mostly) men competing in a “fight” (one real, one staged), the presentation of both is extremely similar… I’d imagine that if you enjoy watching people pretend to fight, the chances are you might very well enjoy watching people fighting for real, and vice versa.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:18 pm

The big TNA issue comes down to one thing for me. For all the excuses, the people running the company and writing the storylines are terrible at their jobs. If you look at any successful wrestling promotion that has ever existed, the stories and characters were compelling and well-defined. In TNA none of the storylines ever have an actual conclusion! The characters are so badly defined that I presently do not know whether the world champion is a face or heel. The world champion, the number one man in the company! And it doesn’t feel like it’s a storyline where all will be revealed, it just feels like the person writing the show each week can’t remember whether Anderson is a face or a heel.

TNA needs to be managed by people whose number one priority isn’t holding onto power and tricking Dixie Carter into giving them another fat contract. It needs to be booked by people whose goal is to tell a compelling story, with story arcs that have a beginning, a middle and an end, with antagonists and protagonists the audience can relate to, whether positively or negatively. It should be just as easy as writing any story for any audience, but it isn’t, because of the incompetence and self-preservationism of all the people in management within TNA.

Get rid of everyone over 40 on the entire roster, including Hogan and Bischoff. Spend as much money as it takes to hire Jim Ross to be your general manager, and leave the rest to him. With the right person in charge, everything else would follow so quickly. With the right storytelling, you can make a star out of almost anyone. You can make Wrestling Matter. You will gradually increase your TV and PPV audiences, and when that happens, if you feel you need a little bit more to push you over the top, spend a chunk of all that money you saved from the salaries of Hogan, Flair, Bischoff, RVD, Angle, Sting et al, and spend it on advertising and marketing. Not billboards in Stamford, in a vain attempt to get WWE’s attention, but on simply putting the brand name out there and saying “we are confident that if you watch our show, you’ll love it. if you’ve ever been a wrestling fan, watch TNA Impact”.

It would be a matter of months before we see growth, and once it starts, there is really no limit. WWE Raw is drawing 3.0 plus ratings with a dire product. If TNA Impact was actually a good product, a really good product, it could overtake WWE within a couple of years. I genuinely believe that. But that will never happen with the people running the show at the moment. They will never change anything.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:39 pm

Now that is what i call an answer.

You have this knack of writing exactly what im thinking, but sometimes i struggle to put what im thinking into words, but you do it for me.

I love you crips.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:53 am

Wow, thanks H. I love you too.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down