The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which is scarier: pace or bounce?

+6
LivinginItaly
eirebilly
sonic_boom10
dummy_half
hodge
MR. scotland27
10 posters

Go down

Which is scarier: pace or bounce? Empty Which is scarier: pace or bounce?

Post by MR. scotland27 Fri 17 Jun 2011, 2:04 pm

As the title suggest, which of these two would get more wickets if you could just have one. Obviously a combination of both is the most preferable.
MR. scotland27
MR. scotland27

Back to top Go down

Which is scarier: pace or bounce? Empty Re: Which is scarier: pace or bounce?

Post by hodge Fri 17 Jun 2011, 2:05 pm

bounce i would say, consisent line and length you can get used to however bounce can make it awkward for batters

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 17 Jun 2011, 2:28 pm

Depends on the batsman - someone like Gavaskar (as a short man) coped with bounce resonably well by getting out of the way, but anyone can be vulnerable to a great fast and straight delivery.

Against taller batsmen, I'd argue that bounce is more effective - the batsman's longer arms make it more difficult to avoid, and taller players (I'm thinking of Flintoff as one example, Hick as another) tend to wait on the front foot at bit so they can utilise their reach and nullify movement from a length/back of a length ball, so is not well positioned for something a bit shorter that really climbs.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by MR. scotland27 Fri 17 Jun 2011, 4:08 pm

dummy_half wrote:Against taller batsmen, I'd argue that bounce is more effective - the batsman's longer arms make it more difficult to avoid, and taller players (I'm thinking of Flintoff as one example, Hick as another) tend to wait on the front foot at bit so they can utilise their reach and nullify movement from a length/back of a length ball, so is not well positioned for something a bit shorter that really climbs.

But a fast swinging yorker is effective agaist tasll men more than short....
MR. scotland27
MR. scotland27

Back to top Go down

Post by sonic_boom10 Fri 17 Jun 2011, 5:27 pm

In all fairness bounce is easier to play. If you can trust the bounce, you can leave on length.

Sheer pace is the most frightening aspect of cricket. No one likes a rapid bowler trying to smash them in the head.

sonic_boom10

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 17 Jun 2011, 5:35 pm

I would have to say that sheer pace would be the toughest to face.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Fri 17 Jun 2011, 8:27 pm

Pace is probably the scariest, bounce the most difficult to play against, but neither mean anything without the most important attribute - accuracy

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Sat 18 Jun 2011, 11:20 am

MR. scotland27 wrote:As the title suggest, which of these two would get more wickets if you could just have one. Obviously a combination of both is the most preferable.

Depends on the wicket and who is bowling. A tall fast bowler like Joel Garner would get more wickets on a wicket with uneven bounce and a bowler who relies on sheer pace like Michael Holding would get more wickets on a flat wicket with less bounce as he can use his ability to generate extreme pace through the air to get batsmen out.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sat 18 Jun 2011, 11:31 am

Sheer Pace is useless unless it is accompanied by either swing or bounce.Similarly bounce without pace is not too threatening.However a good swing bowler can get wickets even if he bowls at medium pace.Mohammad Asif and Matthew Hoggard are prime examples.
So for me neither pace nor bounce it is swing/reverse swing bowling which is the most difficult to play.
However Bounce is more scary for a batsman particularly if there is uneven bounce.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Sat 18 Jun 2011, 9:53 pm

shankythebiggestengfan wrote:Sheer Pace is useless unless it is accompanied by either swing or bounce.Similarly bounce without pace is not too threatening.However a good swing bowler can get wickets even if he bowls at medium pace.Mohammad Asif and Matthew Hoggard are prime examples.
So for me neither pace nor bounce it is swing/reverse swing bowling which is the most difficult to play.
However Bounce is more scary for a batsman particularly if there is uneven bounce.

Sheer pace isn't useless alone as Michael Holding showed V England at the Oval in 1976 where the wicket in that test match was flat as a pancake and there was no ounce of cloud cover to assist the pace bowlers with swing bowling.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Stellar Key Thu 23 Jun 2011, 5:59 pm

Pace or Bounce ................... Bass or Pounce ! Erm

Generally quick bowling never undid me as I had a good eye and good reactions.
Tbh , bowling at that level was only in the 70 - 80 range. Nothing too fast. Smile

Uneven bounce was my downfall, any injuries were because a ball took off or kept low unexpectedly.

Stellar Key

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 Jun 2011, 7:55 pm

As a batsman myself, I find myself get more worried about pace truth be told.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raymond Fri 24 Jun 2011, 2:05 am

I find that i have good reactions and dont find pace hard to deal with. So bounce, with pace.

example, i would prefer to face an 80 mph skiddy bowler than a 75 mph tall bowler.

Raymond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down