The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Matt Le Tissier.

+4
asdral225
Norfolk and Good
Kay Fabe
Brady12
8 posters

Go down

Matt Le Tissier. Empty Matt Le Tissier.

Post by Guest Sat 18 Jun 2011 - 7:53

I You-tubed a few of his goals last night which got me thinking..

Has there ever been a better player that had/has won less caps for their country than Le Tiss? Eight England caps is severely unjust surely?

Have you ever seen a player give so much to such a relatively small club for such a long period of time?

If he had left Southampton for Chelsea at the time Glen Hoddle wanted him would he have maintained that level of brilliance at a bigger club?

His prime coincided with the Italian League being the best in the world. Was that not the prefect platform for him?

Le Tiss was one of them players that would do absolutely nothing for an hour and then ping one in on the volley from 20 yards with complete ease. A true legend of the English game that is, in my opinion, somewhat too confined to history and not talked about as much as he should be.

What are your thoughts on the great man!?

Thanks guys.

Back to top Go down

Matt Le Tissier. Empty Re: Matt Le Tissier.

Post by Brady12 Sat 18 Jun 2011 - 10:17

Undoutable talent. Scorer of some fantastic goals in his time & you can't help but admire his loyalty to Southampton....

How good was he? We'll never know because he didn't test himself by leaving Southampton for a greater challenge. Shame he didn't have a longer sustained run in the England setup but you couldn't really argue that Sheringham was the perfect foil for Shearer & he wouldn't get into the team as a midfielder with Gazza in the side.

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Jun 2011 - 10:34

Know what you mean with the England situation but he was worth more than 8 caps. Would have been a good bench option in my opinion.

He was maybe overly loyal if there is such a thing.

I kinda think his admission had alot to do with a) his refusal to sign for Hoddle and b) his poor showing against Italy in our France 98 qualifier.

He also scored a hat trick in a B international prior to France 98 and still wasn't included in the full squad for that tournament yet Chris Sutton was excluded from that squad because of his refusal to play in that B game! Rather hypocritical by Hoddle if you ask me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat 18 Jun 2011 - 13:25

I loved watching Le Tissier, I always hoped he'd go to Blackburn when Dalglish wanted him around 94 or 95, with the team they had he would have been an intresting shout, I think the reason he was so successful at the Dell was because he had 9 other players working for him, I doubt he would have been given that freedom elsewhere

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Norfolk and Good Sat 18 Jun 2011 - 19:13

I am working with Paul Trevillion producing a portfolio of his football illustrations from a career spanning over 50 years.

One of the prints is to be called 'The Entertainers'. This will feature a selection of players who during this 50 years have been illustrated by Trevillion, and who bought something other than football to the game.

Matt Le Tissier was the first name mentioned by the selection panel when compiling the candidates. Others on the list include Stan Bowles, Peter Osgood, George Best, Tony Currie, Frank Worthington, Stanley Matthews, David Beckham, Mike Channon, Tom Finney, Jim Baxter and Jinky Jimmy Johnstone.

Norfolk and Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jun 2011 - 2:06

Norfolk and Good wrote:I am working with Paul Trevillion producing a portfolio of his football illustrations from a career spanning over 50 years.

One of the prints is to be called 'The Entertainers'. This will feature a selection of players who during this 50 years have been illustrated by Trevillion, and who bought something other than football to the game.

Matt Le Tissier was the first name mentioned by the selection panel when compiling the candidates. Others on the list include Stan Bowles, Peter Osgood, George Best, Tony Currie, Frank Worthington, Stanley Matthews, David Beckham, Mike Channon, Tom Finney, Jim Baxter and Jinky Jimmy Johnstone.

Brilliant stuff mate. And Stanley Bowles..what a player!

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Sun 19 Jun 2011 - 7:46

FreekShow wrote:Know what you mean with the England situation but he was worth more than 8 caps. Would have been a good bench option in my opinion.

I kinda think his admission had alot to do with a) his refusal to sign for Hoddle and b) his poor showing against Italy in our France 98 qualifier.

He also scored a hat trick in a B international prior to France 98 and still wasn't included in the full squad for that tournament yet Chris Sutton was excluded from that squad because of his refusal to play in that B game! Rather hypocritical by Hoddle if you ask me.

Yeah that was crazy, what else was he meant to do in the b game? I don't think he even made the provisional 30 that year

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jun 2011 - 7:52

Brady12 wrote:
FreekShow wrote:Know what you mean with the England situation but he was worth more than 8 caps. Would have been a good bench option in my opinion.

Yeah that was crazy, what else was he meant to do in the b game? I don't think he even made the provisional 30 that year

Makes you wonder whether it was personal on Hoddle's part.

Back to top Go down

Post by asdral225 Sun 19 Jun 2011 - 8:54

Yes you are right his skill level was without doubt very good.
I think if he wanted to play for England or a bigger club he could have done so no matter who he was competing against for his playing position.
Your point about service to a small club there must be lots but one in particular I can think of Johnny Haynes at Fulham, 18 years, 658 games and 158 goals he also played for England has captain in this time.

asdral225
asdral225

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun 19 Jun 2011 - 9:01

The thing with Le Tissier, the team played to his strengths. He more or less was the centre of everything Southampton did.

When I think back to the 98 World Cup and the squad we took, I just couldn't see him fitting in the team. The England team had pace on the flanks and I am not sure how effective he would've been in the team as he would've has to keep up with play galore.

If anything I think he should've been in the Euro 96 squad. It had a place for Sheringham and I think Le Tissier would've been an option for example in the Germany game when it needed some brilliance. Hoddle didn't use Sheringham at all and he didn't pick Gascoigne which shows what direction he was taking the team at the time.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jun 2011 - 9:16

legendkillar wrote:The thing with Le Tissier, the team played to his strengths. He more or less was the centre of everything Southampton did.

When I think back to the 98 World Cup and the squad we took, I just couldn't see him fitting in the team. The England team had pace on the flanks and I am not sure how effective he would've been in the team as he would've has to keep up with play galore.

If anything I think he should've been in the Euro 96 squad. It had a place for Sheringham and I think Le Tissier would've been an option for example in the Germany game when it needed some brilliance. Hoddle didn't use Sheringham at all and he didn't pick Gascoigne which shows what direction he was taking the team at the time.

Not so sure about our 98 team having pace on the flanks Legend. Darren Anderton and David Beckham were hardly the speediest of wide men but maybe I am nit-picking there?

Sherringham started the first two games in France but with the electric form of Michael Owen I can see why he eventually got selected ahead of Teddy.

Le Tiss was worth a place ahead of, lets say,Les Ferdinand who didn't get on the field once during that campaign. Paul Merson also got a squad place after a season in the Championship which baffled me at the time and baffles me even more now!

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun 19 Jun 2011 - 9:25

FreekShow wrote:
legendkillar wrote:The thing with Le Tissier, the team played to his strengths. He more or less was the centre of everything Southampton did.

Not so sure about our 98 team having pace on the flanks Legend. Darren Anderton and David Beckham were hardly the speediest of wide men but maybe I am nit-picking there?

Sherringham started the first two games in France but with the electric form of Michael Owen I can see why he eventually got selected ahead of Teddy.

Le Tiss was worth a place ahead of, lets say,Les Ferdinand who didn't get on the field once during that campaign. Paul Merson also got a squad place after a season in the Championship which baffled me at the time and baffles me even more now!

Mcmanaman had pace. Beckham came off a brilliant 97-98 season and was actually quicker than people give him credit for.

Like I said Hoddle was going in a different direction. If you had 5 minutes left in a match and Beckham was whipping a free-kick in, who would you want on the end of it? Ferdinand or Le Tissier?

Teddy was never going to feature in Hoddle's plans. Merson's selection was baffling to say the least.

I think Le Tiss was better suited to the Euro 96 squad that could play to his strengths.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jun 2011 - 9:34

legendkillar wrote:
FreekShow wrote:

Mcmanaman had pace. Beckham came off a brilliant 97-98 season and was actually quicker than people give him credit for.

Like I said Hoddle was going in a different direction. If you had 5 minutes left in a match and Beckham was whipping a free-kick in, who would you want on the end of it? Ferdinand or Le Tissier?

Teddy was never going to feature in Hoddle's plans. Merson's selection was baffling to say the least.

I think Le Tiss was better suited to the Euro 96 squad that could play to his strengths.

Ferdinand can't get on the end of anything if he's not on the field! I think McManaman was more trickery than pace. I don't think Hoddle never rated Sherringham. Didn't he take him back to Spurs?

There is no doubt that if Le Tiss played for one of the big clubs he'd have achieved more than eight caps. A god damn injustice in my eyes!!

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun 19 Jun 2011 - 9:38

FreekShow wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
FreekShow wrote:

Ferdinand can't get on the end of anything if he's not on the field! I think McManaman was more trickery than pace. I don't think Hoddle never rated Sherringham. Didn't he take him back to Spurs?

There is no doubt that if Le Tiss played for one of the big clubs he'd have achieved more than eight caps. A god damn injustice in my eyes!!

From a squad perspective that was!!!!!

Doesn't matter who Le Tissier played for, he still wouldn't have had the England career people feel he was robbed of. Like I said, Southampton played to his strengths. It would be difficult to see what team he could've gone to and made better.

Take Euro 2000. How did Phillips not get in considering he was the best striker in form at the time?

England has been littered with players that should've been given the opportunity to do more.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Sun 19 Jun 2011 - 9:48

Don't agree the 98 team was 3-5-2. Anderton & Le Saux were the wing backs so don't agree with 'pace on the wings' comment. The team played with 2 holding midfielders Ince & Batty with Scholes in a more advanced role. It's possible Le Tiss could have been used off the bench in the Scholes role. Certainly a better option at the time to Merson. Beckham after a 2nd game loss to Romania came in, in the centre for Batty with Owen after his goal off the bench replacing Sheringham..
Sheringham was rated by Hoddle he resigned him for Spurs from Utd. Owen burst onto the scene though so as soon as things went wrong he was going to be thrown in

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jun 2011 - 9:52

You can't tell me that if Le Tissier was playing for lets say Man Utd he wouldn't have won more caps? And he would have gotten into their team during that period.

I don't understand all this 'Southampton played to his strengths' stuff. He was Southampton. His brilliance allowed championship quality footballers to prolong their careers in the top flight year after year.

Eric Cantona was of the same ilk but because he played for a beast of a team his international wilderness posed serious questions. Would Cantona kept a small club in the premier league year after year?

He WAS robbed of a decent England career. Had he been Brazilian? well.....

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun 19 Jun 2011 - 20:02

Considering wing backs have to be fit and pacy, it is daft to suggest they didn't have pace.

Southampton playing to his strengths is a case that they played ball to feet up to him and play slow tempo football. To suggest he prolonged careers without naming players is silly. At his peak, look at his strike partners. Dowie, Shipperly, Ostenstad, Parhars. Players that didn't score 20+ goals a season.

You mention him in the same breath as Cantona, his peak years as a French International were before his Man Utd days, which shows you how international football evolved. Wenger changed the landscape in Premiership football in 96-97 by were changing diets and fitness regimes of players and pace and power became the must need for all teams in the domestic and international front.

Had he been Brazilian is irrelevent. Would he have got ahead of Ronaldo or Rivaldo Romario or Bebeto? Doubt it very much.

Le Tissier was a quality player, no doubt, but I don't think him not being an England international has taken the gloss off his career.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Sun 19 Jun 2011 - 21:46

legendkillar wrote:Considering wing backs have to be fit and pacy, it is daft to suggest they didn't have pace.

Southampton playing to his strengths is a case that they played ball to feet up to him and play slow tempo football. To suggest he prolonged careers without naming players is silly. At his peak, look at his strike partners. Dowie, Shipperly, Ostenstad, Parhars. Players that didn't score 20+ goals a season.

You mention him in the same breath as Cantona, his peak years as a French International were before his Man Utd days, which shows you how international football evolved. Wenger changed the landscape in Premiership football in 96-97 by were changing diets and fitness regimes of players and pace and power became the must need for all teams in the domestic and international front.

Had he been Brazilian is irrelevent. Would he have got ahead of Ronaldo or Rivaldo Romario or Bebeto? Doubt it very much.

Le Tissier was a quality player, no doubt, but I don't think him not being an England international has taken the gloss off his career.

Anderton wasn't pacey so your argurment is completely flawed about wing backs.

Cantona was no longer playing for France due to large part to him throwing himself into the crowd at Palace so I don't have a clue what you are saying about him & how it's relevent...

Try remembering what actually happened.

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun 19 Jun 2011 - 23:29

Brady12 wrote:
legendkillar wrote:Considering wing backs have to be fit and pacy, it is daft to suggest they didn't have pace.

Anderton wasn't pacey so your argurment is completely flawed about wing backs.

Cantona was no longer playing for France due to large part to him throwing himself into the crowd at Palace so I don't have a clue what you are saying about him & how it's relevent...

Try remembering what actually happened rather than looking up a load of stats on wiki or playing championship manager & basing your opinions on that

Try actually watching football before basing your opinions on a topic you know nought about.

Cantona kung fu kicking someone has nothing to do with his French career on the decline!!!

Anderton was a quick player. Try watching football and playing it before giving it large like your some footballing genius.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Jun 2011 - 2:51

Cantona was appointed France captain in the build up to Euro 96. He lost his place due to his suspension. Had he not kung-fu kicked that idiot at Selhurst Park then I'd guess he would have played at the tournament.

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon 20 Jun 2011 - 3:16

Fair point about Cantona. Though I don't think he was able to replicate his club form to international level.

My point about Le Tissier is that I felt his peak was between 93-97 and I think Euro 96 represented the best time he should've been included in the England Squad at that time.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Jun 2011 - 3:23

legendkillar wrote:Fair point about Cantona. Though I don't think he was able to replicate his club form to international level.

My point about Le Tissier is that I felt his peak was between 93-97 and I think Euro 96 represented the best time he should've been included in the England Squad at that time.

Yeah that's a good point.

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon 20 Jun 2011 - 3:31

I am a Le Tissier fan, don't get me wrong. When I was saying about the team playing to his 'strengths' it was by the always gave him the ball to feet and that they never made him chase balls. That shows the high esteem he was held in at Southampton. It makes me wonder if he did go to big clubs, whether the established players would've been able to 'accept' him. I know if he was playing nowadays he would be sought after. He is a rare gem. Thats why his goals were my favourite in the Premiership.

I remember watching a programme on him and that goal he scored at Blackburn and before the game he told Tim Flowers 'he was going to hit his towel' which Flowers hung in the side of the net. And he did.

Genius.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Jun 2011 - 3:32

Wasn't le Tiss hugely injury prone...?

Might have been unlucky in call ups with bad timed injuries.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Mon 20 Jun 2011 - 3:42

FreekShow wrote:Cantona was appointed France captain in the build up to Euro 96. He lost his place due to his suspension. Had he not kung-fu kicked that idiot at Selhurst Park then I'd guess he would have played at the tournament.

Exactly! Someone who knows there stuff

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 28 Jun 2011 - 9:09

In all fairness England should have won the 98 world cup. Nothing wrong with SOl Campbells goal.

Le- Tiss was pure class however and should have been in the squad

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 28 Jun 2011 - 21:19

Geordie, please, they went out in the QF AGAIN, there is nothing to suggest they would win the remaining games.

Le Tiss however is my favourite English player, possibly favourite ever player and I think that Hoddle couldn't handle having someone with just as much technical skill as he had taking the limelight.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 28 Jun 2011 - 21:27

In reality the english mentality is to put 100% effort in and hope for the best and that just wasn't Le Tissier.

I always found it ironic that Hoddle -- who never got the recognition with England he should have -- would do the exact same to Le Tissier.

Always one of my favourite players for the lazy brilliance he displayed. His goal collection stands up to anyone elses there has ever been in terms of spectacular brilliance.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 29 Jun 2011 - 22:22

Super- Realist,

We were robbed...and i do believe we had the squad and ability to go all the way...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down