The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Appleyard joins Gwent Dragons

+2
MBTGOG
Adam D
6 posters

Go down

Appleyard joins Gwent Dragons Empty Appleyard joins Gwent Dragons

Post by Adam D Tue 21 Jun 2011, 9:28 am

APPLEYARD JOINS DRAGONS
By Charlotte Moriarty | Tuesday, 21 June 2011
Newport Gwent Dragons have signed up former WRU Academy Skills Coach Rob Appleyard as Assistant Coach for the region.

Appleyard, currently working with the Wales Under 20 side at the Junior World Championship in Italy, has been with the region on a short-term basis since February 2011 and has now been given a full-time contract.

“We’d like to welcome Rob Appleyard as a full-time member of the Newport Gwent Dragons coaching team,” said Dragons Director of Rugby Robert Beale. “Rob joins Darren Edwards’ coaching team as an assistant coach with responsibilities for defence.

“He has had a huge impact on our environment since his involvement with the region and we would like to thank Joe Lydon and the WRU in enabling Rob to join the Dragons on a full-time basis from the Union and we are confident that he will make a valuable contribution to both our defence and other areas of our game moving forward.
WRU Head of Rugby Joe Lydon said:

“We have worked closely with the Dragons management team on the process of this appointment. We know Rob's ambition has been to coach at Regional level for some time now and we see this as a positive opportunity for Rob, the players and the Newport Gwent Dragons Region.

“Rob has a wealth of experience as a player and coach. This experience coupled with a fantastic work ethic and appreciation of what is needed to develop players at all levels, means Rob is and will continue to be a valued member of any coaching set-up. We wish Rob and the Dragons well for the coming season and look forward to continuing to work with Rob and the Dragons in developing talented players for Welsh rugby at all levels”

The Dragons have also appointed Sara Davies, also from the WRU as Team Administrator as of 1st July.

source - http://www.newportgwentdragons.com/NewsArticle.aspx?n=17485&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Appleyard joins Gwent Dragons Empty Re: Appleyard joins Gwent Dragons

Post by MBTGOG Tue 21 Jun 2011, 9:31 am

What an awesome name.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 21 Jun 2011, 9:53 am

Appleyard sure has bought into the team spirit side of things. I've seen him a few times taking the urine out of one of our players on Facebook. I can't judge him yet until we've had a few games, but if he was in charge of the U20's defence v the Baby Blacks then we have no worries Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 21 Jun 2011, 9:57 am

"if he was in charge of the U20's defence v the Baby Blacks then we have no worries ."

I wouldn't worry if I was you - he was the offensive coach in that game Very Happy

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 21 Jun 2011, 10:23 am

Rob seems to be one of those genuine blokes, and I have a lot of time for him. I would not really hold hte Baby Blacks match against him, as to be fair there seemed to be a decision to feild a weaker side in order to keep the better players from taking a beating. Unfortunately that happened when the Baby Blacks decided to feild a stronger side in order to give us a beating. Honestly I believe if Wales U20s were to meet the Baby Blacks again the result would not be half as bad.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 21 Jun 2011, 10:41 am

I was only kidding about the Baby Blacks game. In all seriousness, I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 21 Jun 2011, 10:58 am

He's a great guy but in my opinion I think he's a bit limited at Regional level - thankfully he's not the head man. I see his banter on a facebook site in a -ve light from a coaching perspective - well meant but naive and insular - typically welsh coaching material and not the professionalism required at this level. That's my view by the way and like I said he's a great guy.

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 21 Jun 2011, 3:30 pm

The WRU need to be psuhing for these lads to get into Regions with the future of Welsh coaching in mind.

Garteh Llewellyn by all accounts is getting rave reviews in the lower leagues and should be encouraged.

Then again if the clowns at the WRU have anything to do with it they bound to mess it all up.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 21 Jun 2011, 3:36 pm

Another young Welsh coach being given a chance with one of our regions it's a good thing.
We keep saying if Gatland goes, where do we get a good Welsh coach from? Well if guys like Appleyard aren't given the oppertunity then we will never have another Welsh coach.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 21 Jun 2011, 5:43 pm

I can see the point in some clubs/regions/provinces where a coach being a bit pally with the players can be a bit negative, but I don't see it as an issue with the Dragons if I'm honest. Players like Danny Lydiate have gone on the record saying how he loves the "family" environment, so it obviously does no harm for us.

Agree there Alyn on the Welsh coaches.

Bedford, another name I would like to see being brought back over the Bridge is Jason Forster, who seems to be building a good reputation in Chippenham.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 21 Jun 2011, 6:16 pm

Risca,

Yep add him to the list, along with Mikey Rayer
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down