The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ben Gollings released by England 7s Squad

+5
MR. scotland27
robbo277
ScarletSpiderman
snoopster
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
9 posters

Go down

Ben Gollings released by England 7s Squad Empty Ben Gollings released by England 7s Squad

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 21 Jun 2011, 2:20 pm

Full Story is here.

England Sevens top scorer Ben Gollings has not been offered a new deal.
The 31-year-old from Cornwall made his Sevens debut in 1999 and has featured in two World Cups and three Commonwealth Games.
England Sevens head coach Ben Ryan said: "While we understand Ben will be disappointed we felt it was a decision that needed to be made.
"His professionalism has set the standard for all those who have trained and played alongside him."
"It doesn't detract in any way from the terrific service Ben has given England over more than a decade at the highest level.
Gollings is top of the Sevens World Series scoring charts with 2,652 points - more than twice as many as his nearest rival, Fiji's Waisale Serevi.
England 7s star Ben Gollings, the record points scorer in International 7s has not been offered a new deal by the England 7s setup.

A shame to see a genuine star go out this way, though 31 is old for 7s (unless you're Serevi or Rush). He played a season for my beloved Tasman in INL Cup too.

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Ben Gollings released by England 7s Squad Empty Re: Ben Gollings released by England 7s Squad

Post by snoopster Tue 21 Jun 2011, 2:31 pm

Shame to see him go - a great servant of the England 7s team, it is going to be strange not seeing him out there anymore.

snoopster

Back to top Go down

Ben Gollings released by England 7s Squad Empty Re: Ben Gollings released by England 7s Squad

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 21 Jun 2011, 3:04 pm

A great servent to the game of 7s full stop. Shame to see him go, he seemed like an ever present to me.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Tue 21 Jun 2011, 3:31 pm

Watching the 7s, what really interested me were the stats. He's got almost twice as many points as the second top points scorer.

Anyone think his record will be surpassed?

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by MR. scotland27 Tue 21 Jun 2011, 3:38 pm

Seems like such a shame as he really did not seem as if he was declining in form that much despite his age. Would have been good to see him try and ake 3000 points.
MR. scotland27
MR. scotland27

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Tue 21 Jun 2011, 3:45 pm

I doubt anyone will match his points total, a great servant to 7's and the England 7's side. Let's not forget that the next person down in the points table with half the number of points is Serevi. I wonder if Ben will be remembered for his 7's skills in the same way as Serevi ?

I was lucky enough to get on the pitch and have my photo taken with him at the Hong Kong 7's when he had drop kicked the conversion to give England the win in 2006. I also got to meet him again outside Joe Bananas that same night.

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Tue 21 Jun 2011, 3:48 pm

Where do people reckon he'll go now? Back to oz?
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Tue 21 Jun 2011, 4:41 pm

I don't understand why, he has still been performing, and is a great player. Poor decision in my opinion.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Tue 21 Jun 2011, 4:45 pm

He'd lost some of his zip in the last series. But if England are looking for a scapegoat or reason for failure in the last tournament it was the disasterous decision to play Armitage, who was out of shape and didn't seem to understand the game at all. The man was a complete liability.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down