The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England squad for ODI's

+14
mystiroakey
Mad for Chelsea
Corporalhumblebucket
ShankyCricket
msp83
Mat
NickisBHAFC
LondonTiger
Dorothy_Mantooth
JDizzle
Duty281
alfie
Stella
Good Golly I'm Olly
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

England squad for ODI's Empty England squad for ODI's

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 27 Aug 2013, 11:13 am

England name uncapped players Chris Jordan, Jamie Overton, Michael Carberry, Gary Ballance, Boyd Rankin for ODIs against Ireland & Australia

Alastair Cook, James Anderson, Ian Bell, Stuart Broad, Graeme Swann rested for England's ODIs v Ireland & Australia. Eoin Morgan to captain.

The England squad in full is as follows:
Eoin Morgan (captain) (Middlesex), Gary Ballance (Yorkshire), Ravi Bopara (Essex), Danny Briggs (Hampshire), Jos Buttler (Somerset), Michael Carberry (Hampshire), Steven Finn (Middlesex), Chris Jordan (Sussex), Jamie Overton (Somerset), Boyd Rankin (Warwickshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), James Taylor (Notts), James Tredwell (Kent), Luke Wright (Sussex).

Last edited by Olly on Tue 27 Aug 2013, 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

England squad for ODI's Empty Re: England squad for ODI's

Post by Stella Tue 27 Aug 2013, 11:16 am

Is Cook the captain?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 27 Aug 2013, 11:18 am

The England squad in full is as follows:
Eoin Morgan (captain) (Middlesex), Gary Ballance (Yorkshire), Ravi Bopara (Essex), Danny Briggs (Hampshire), Jos Buttler (Somerset), Michael Carberry (Hampshire), Steven Finn (Middlesex), Chris Jordan (Sussex), Jamie Overton (Somerset), Boyd Rankin (Warwickshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), James Taylor (Notts), James Tredwell (Kent), Luke Wright (Sussex).
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 27 Aug 2013, 11:26 am

Regarding Bairstow.

He will no doubt tour as our reserve keeper for the tests in Australia, but has not been tried as our ODI keeper (I don't think). This tells me, they don't rate him that highly as as a keeper, as we have been looking for a decent ODI keeper for a while.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 27 Aug 2013, 11:27 am

Sensible resting policy. A few new ones - can anyone tell me about Jordan ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 27 Aug 2013, 11:28 am

They seem to quite like Buttler as the keeper for ODI's Stella, and he's actually not done too badly with the gloves, just his batting has been very inconsistent
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 27 Aug 2013, 11:29 am

Olly wrote:They seem to quite like Buttler as the keeper for ODI's Stella, and he's actually not done too badly with the gloves, just his batting has been very inconsistent
Yes, he's done ok, but Bairstow is in the test team, or was, as a hard hitting batsmen, who can keep, well to an extent.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 27 Aug 2013, 11:29 am

alfie wrote:Sensible resting policy.  A few new ones - can anyone tell me about Jordan ?
Guildford and Corporal probably could Alfie! Very Happy 
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 27 Aug 2013, 11:30 am

Good to see Ballance named in the squad, hopefully he'll get a few games.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 27 Aug 2013, 11:31 am

Is Taylor definitely in the squad? Couldn't see him in the squad on twitter.

Stella, Chris Jordan is a bowling all rounder who's gone from Surrey to Sussex this year. He's taken a lot of FC wickets, but I am not so sure how he's bowled in the List A stuff. The Corporal or Guildford will know more of him than me.

Jamie Overton is an interesting one. Can't see him playing in this series, maybe against Ireland, but England obviously like him. He's big and he's quick which always turns the selectors heads.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 27 Aug 2013, 11:31 am

Olly wrote:
alfie wrote:Sensible resting policy.  A few new ones - can anyone tell me about Jordan ?
Guildford and Corporal probably could Alfie! Very Happy 
Counting on it ! Just he is the only one I have neither seen , nor heard a huge amount about ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 27 Aug 2013, 11:31 am

This is why I wouldn't have had Cook as our ODI captain. It's ok resting your best test players, but not the captain. He should be leading the side, with the option of missing a couple of games.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Tue 27 Aug 2013, 11:56 am

Stella wrote:Regarding Bairstow.

He will no doubt tour as our reserve keeper for the tests in Australia, but has not been tried as our ODI keeper (I don't think). This tells me, they don't rate him that highly as as a keeper, as we have been looking for a decent ODI keeper for a while.
Or they think Bairstow would be better served playing the last 4 county games for Yorkshire and getting some time back with the gloves on, rather than him backing up Buttler in the ODI squad. He can't really have kept much this year and won't get much of a go in the warm up games in Oz.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 27 Aug 2013, 12:04 pm

Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:

Or they think Bairstow would be better served playing the last 4 county games for Yorkshire and getting some time back with the gloves on, rather than him backing up Buttler in the ODI squad.  He can't really have kept much this year and won't get much of a go in the warm up games in Oz.

Makes sense. And not just glove time...won't hurt to get a few innings in the first class game either before the Ashes trip. He may well still be pencilled in as number six ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 27 Aug 2013, 12:05 pm

Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:

Or they think Bairstow would be better served playing the last 4 county games for Yorkshire and getting some time back with the gloves on, rather than him backing up Buttler in the ODI squad.  He can't really have kept much this year and won't get much of a go in the warm up games in Oz.
Maybe, but why has our number 6 batsman who can keep, not been given a go. My guess is, they think his keeping is adequate at best, which begs the question. Why will he be our reserve keeper in Aus?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 27 Aug 2013, 12:09 pm

Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:

Bairstow did not bat in the middle for 31 days between 2nd test v NZ abnd first v Australia, whilst serving as drinks waiter for the CT. This showed as he looked in nick against NZ, but by the Ashes test was looking rusty.

He needs to be batting so yes please we would love to have him back. Shame we lose Ballance now though.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Tue 27 Aug 2013, 2:15 pm

Stella wrote:
Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:

Maybe, but why has our number 6 batsman who can keep, not been given a go. My guess is, they think his keeping is adequate at best, which begs the question. Why will he be our reserve keeper in Aus?
It's been along time since based on their glovework, that we took our best two keepers on a Tour.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 27 Aug 2013, 2:17 pm

Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:
Stella wrote:
Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:

It's been along time since based on their glovework, that we took our best two keepers on a Tour.
I agree, but he has to be at a certain standard, and the fact England, despite struggling to find a ODI keeper, haven't tried him, says it all.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 27 Aug 2013, 2:35 pm

Steve Davies (probably) will be with the Development Squad and serve as "real" backup. Bairstow if he goes will merely be backup in training and god forbid Prior pulls out on the morning of the match.

The management seem to view Bairstow as a player with potential to be in the team as a batsman. As such I feel they do not want to complicate issues and give him the gloves as well. From what I have seen live, he is not a great glove man (certainly not in his Dad's league) but he i sbetter than Buttler.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Tue 27 Aug 2013, 2:53 pm

CHRIS JORDAN CALLED UP Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

Sir Chris has had a superb season with Sussex and his call up is fully deserved. Probably signing of the season as well! However with him and Luke Wright away, along with Monty leaving, Sussex bid for the county championship title has to be in serious doubt now. Still been a good season in the 4 day format.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Tue 27 Aug 2013, 4:05 pm

No Brother Mo? Disappointing, thought he might have been given a chance, especially with the squad looking at some "different" options.

Still, I think it'll be exciting to see some of these players, always good to see what could be future stars.

Think that the selectors are pinning a lot of hope that Stokes lives up to his potential as an all-rounder who can bowl well and bat 6. Would solve some of England's problems.

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue 27 Aug 2013, 4:25 pm

Some interesting selections and sensible resting.
Ravi Bopara has recent ODI form going for him with both bat and ball, but I would like them to give Ben Stokes an extended run in the sideas he has the potential to evolve into a useful all-rounder in all formats. Even Luke Wright deserves an opportunity in my view Not too sure the selectors have got the balance of the sid3e great. What could be the 11?
Root?
Carrberry?
Trott
KP
Morgan
Bopara
Stokes
Buttler
Tredwell
Jordan?
Finn

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue 27 Aug 2013, 4:27 pm

Wright, Taylor and Ballance can come in for Root, Trott and Pietersen for the Ireland game.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 27 Aug 2013, 4:27 pm

I would imagine Wright will open, but who with?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue 27 Aug 2013, 4:29 pm

I would have liked Jonathan Trott to play more county cricket and get back into form in the longer format and play a few big knocks. He has been getting starts throughout the test series but wasn't able to build on those. The ODIs would be rather demanding in that context.

Last edited by msp83 on Tue 27 Aug 2013, 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue 27 Aug 2013, 4:30 pm

Root has to be playing for sure, and as things stand now, he should open the innings as well. Actually I wouldn't mind Wright opening along with him. Carrberry can't be a long term ODI investment at this stage anyways.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Tue 27 Aug 2013, 5:54 pm

KP could open maybe? I like Root in the middle order for ODI's.

Or Trott up to open, with KP 3, Root 4, Morgan 5. Then one or two all rounders, Buttler and then the bowlers.

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Tue 27 Aug 2013, 6:09 pm

Stella wrote:
Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:
Stella wrote:
Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:

I agree, but he has to be at a certain standard, and the fact England, despite struggling to find a ODI keeper, haven't tried him, says it all.
I am with your views on Bairstow. I was just pointing out what I think the selectors thoughts might be and why he is not in this ODI squad.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Tue 27 Aug 2013, 9:08 pm

Carberry
KP
Trott
Root
Morgan
Bopara
Buttler
Jordan/Overton
Tredwell
Finn
Rankin

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 27 Aug 2013, 9:18 pm

ShankyCricket wrote:Carberry
KP
Trott
Root
Morgan
Bopara
Buttler
Jordan/Overton
Tredwell
Finn
Rankin
Has to be Jordan over Overton. Overton not good enough to bat 8.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Tue 27 Aug 2013, 9:28 pm

Overton may also play ahead of Rankin. Should get a game in the last 2 matches, as should Wright and Stokes.
But at the start of the series, I agree, probably Jordan ahead of Overton and rest as above. Have to open with KP IMO. Don't think his game is particularly suited to a middle order role in ODIs (would be wasted IMO) and Root is ideal at 4. KP at the top can make the sort of impact that would be unrivalled if he were in the middle order.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 27 Aug 2013, 9:34 pm

Think his is a bit too early for Overton tbh. But he has all the qualities England look for in a seamer, tall and quick mainly! Think Jordan has been a bit rushed too, but he is a bit older and has a bit more experience but this is his first real good season so he probably deserves a chance as long as he is not discounted if he gets smashes a bit.

Agree about KP. Let him open and just let him bat how he does. He'll score big runs and quick a lot of the time. Would compliment Cook and Trott well. Root doesn't open for Yorks in the shorter forms does he? Him and Morgan would be interchangable at 4 and 5 in my team depending on the situation.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 27 Aug 2013, 10:42 pm

Jordan showed a lot of early promise at Surrey but was hampered by a major injury.  He had a lot of opportunities at Surrey but rarely took advantage of them.  In part at least this was no doubt down to the way he was managed - it seemed bizarre at the time when the then manager gave him a run as an opener.  Often his bowling was very expensive for Surrey, and accompanied by a liberal scattering of no balls.

With his bowling he had a storming start to the season at Sussex in the county championship.  In more recent matches  his figures generally haven't been quite so stunning. He was rested for some YB40 games, has taken a few wickets there, but his economy rate has been a bit on the high side.

Batting wise he does score some useful runs, but in most sides you would hope he could be a no 9 rather than 8.  (He is tho better than Surrey's current no 8 - Gareth Batty Sad )

All in all I would be quite surprised if he consistently bowled economically in high pressure limited overs matches.  Maybe he could take over the Jade Dernbach role in ODIs? Erm

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 28 Aug 2013, 8:23 am

Pietersen
Wright
Trott
Root
Morgan
Bopara
Buttler
Tredwell
Briggs
Finn
Rankin
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Aug 2013, 9:17 am

im a big fan of Overton, but i think its a bit too early for him to be honest.

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 28 Aug 2013, 10:59 am

KP opening is a very good idea. But the way things stand, England are unlikely to go in without Trott or Bell in significant games. Neither are suited for a batting role beyond number 3. Pietersen could be best used at the top, but onlike Trott or Bell, he can adapt to a middle order game as well. Even Root I would say could be more handy in a middle order role, he can play spin well, runs well between the wickets and is good enough to keep the singles flowing with regularity, and when needed, can play a few big shots as well.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 28 Aug 2013, 11:18 am

I'd open with KP and Bell in the first choice side.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 28 Aug 2013, 11:28 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Jordan showed a lot of early promise at Surrey but was hampered by a major injury.  He had a lot of opportunities at Surrey but rarely took advantage of them.  In part at least this was no doubt down to the way he was managed - it seemed bizarre at the time when the then manager gave him a run as an opener.  Often his bowling was very expensive for Surrey, and accompanied by a liberal scattering of no balls.

With his bowling he had a storming start to the season at Sussex in the county championship.  In more recent matches  his figures generally haven't been quite so stunning. He was rested for some YB40 games, has taken a few wickets there, but his economy rate has been a bit on the high side.

Batting wise he does score some useful runs, but in most sides you would hope he could be a no 9 rather than 8.  (He is tho better than Surrey's current no 8 - Gareth Batty Sad )

All in all I would be quite surprised if he consistently bowled economically in high pressure limited overs matches.  Maybe he could take over the Jade Dernbach role in ODIs? Erm
Blimey , Corporal - that's all we need ... Dernbach 2 Shocked 

How's he off for tatts ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 28 Aug 2013, 11:32 am

ShankyCricket wrote:I'd open with KP and Bell in the first choice side.
What about Cook?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 28 Aug 2013, 6:37 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote: Batting wise he does score some useful runs, but in most sides you would hope he could be a no 9 rather than 8.  (He is tho better than Surrey's current no 8 - Gareth Batty Sad )
Chris Jordan finished the day at 58* for Sussex on day 1 of the match against Warks.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 01 Sep 2013, 4:12 pm

its a shame Bresy lad isnt fit for the series, with others being rested, would have been good to see him in a 'leader of the attack', kind of role.

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 03 Sep 2013, 3:28 pm

Hopefully today's game stops the Carberry brigade, Ballance out 2nd ball is not good
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 03 Sep 2013, 3:44 pm

James Taylor playing his biennial ODI game. 3000+ runs at over 51 in List A cricket and he gets a game every 2 years to prove himself. What do England expect when Taylor, Carberry and Ballance know they only have one game to prove themselves? They are never going to be able to perform at their best.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 03 Sep 2013, 3:59 pm

not good enough. Suggests that for all the criticism Bell Cook and Trott cop they're still a couple of levels above the back-ups. The number of times Taylor lost his shape completely in that knock was worrying bordering on alarming, while Wright looked clueless (two scoring shots off 20 balls)...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 03 Sep 2013, 5:01 pm

Morgan and Bopara going well at the minute
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 03 Sep 2013, 5:01 pm

Haven't seen the game, merely looked at the score, and it seems rather average from England thus far against a team bang up for it.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 03 Sep 2013, 5:03 pm

Gotta feel for Ireland if we pull of the win..

If it wasn't for the irish mogs!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 03 Sep 2013, 5:12 pm

These two rather showing up the rest of the team, rather reinforcing the point I made earlier. People may not like it, but England's current ODI first XI are the best players in England, simple as. The back-up options just aren't as good.

One thing I would add: would be nice if Morgan could play slightly longer knocks for England more often, still a very very classy player, would like to see him bat longer in general.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 03 Sep 2013, 5:15 pm

It seems that Australia are doing a lot more convincingly according to the BBC:

Australia 362-3 v Scotland 109-7 (35 overs)

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 03 Sep 2013, 5:16 pm

Scotland are a significantly weaker outfit compared to Ireland though, it must be said...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next