The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England squad for ODI's

+14
mystiroakey
Mad for Chelsea
Corporalhumblebucket
ShankyCricket
msp83
Mat
NickisBHAFC
LondonTiger
Dorothy_Mantooth
JDizzle
Duty281
alfie
Stella
Good Golly I'm Olly
18 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

England squad for ODI's - Page 3 Empty England squad for ODI's

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 27 Aug - 11:13

First topic message reminder :

England name uncapped players Chris Jordan, Jamie Overton, Michael Carberry, Gary Ballance, Boyd Rankin for ODIs against Ireland & Australia

Alastair Cook, James Anderson, Ian Bell, Stuart Broad, Graeme Swann rested for England's ODIs v Ireland & Australia. Eoin Morgan to captain.

The England squad in full is as follows:
Eoin Morgan (captain) (Middlesex), Gary Ballance (Yorkshire), Ravi Bopara (Essex), Danny Briggs (Hampshire), Jos Buttler (Somerset), Michael Carberry (Hampshire), Steven Finn (Middlesex), Chris Jordan (Sussex), Jamie Overton (Somerset), Boyd Rankin (Warwickshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), James Taylor (Notts), James Tredwell (Kent), Luke Wright (Sussex).

Last edited by Olly on Tue 27 Aug - 11:19; edited 1 time in total
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

England squad for ODI's - Page 3 Empty Re: England squad for ODI's

Post by mystiroakey Wed 4 Sep - 13:07

Ireland need more fans- its that simple. You wont get test status until you can grow your own talent.. Even the ones you do produce will have there skills honed in England..

Thankfully domestic cricket is more about the national game(compared to football)

So irish players will always have the option to play for england and england will rightly be able to use them if they have created them even if you did get given test status but they still kept playing here!

But i wish you well!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 4 Sep - 14:07

Mad for Chelsea wrote:isn't Ballance also in the squad? Could conceivably see KP and Root opening, Trott at 3, Morgan/Ballance at 4 and 5, etc. Not a fan of it as Root is well suited to n°4, but would still be a better option than Wright opening the batting IMO.
Ballance, Taylor and Briggs were only in the squad and now drop out, replaced by Pietersen, Trott and Root.

Shame for Ballance as he would have liked to erase the memory of that dismissal with another knock.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 4 Sep - 14:08

Stokes bowled 10-0-51-0 out of a total of 269, so he's done alright going purely off the figures and he actually bowled better than that as well. He's easily a better bowler than Bopara already. I'd like to see him play the series against Australia but just can't see how he fits in (Unless Trott opens, which he won't).

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 4 Sep - 14:09

I think the sport is slowly growing.

Have decent support for the world cups.

With Football, Hurling, Soccer, Rugby, Horse Racing, Athletics ahead in popularity it has a way to go, to get a really good following.

We need to be at a level first where we are beating the likes of Kenya, Bangladesh, Canada etc, on a regular basis and being able to compete with the teams just above them on a regular basis, whoever they are, is there a second tier as such.

England
Australia
New Zealand
India
Sri Lanka
Top tier?

OK, so we have beaten Pakistan at the world cup in 07.
Need to be able to beat them 2/3 times out of 5.

I dont know how many games Ireland play in a year.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 4 Sep - 14:10

westisbest wrote:Shame to see Rankin play for England.
Understand why, we dont have test status.
I completely agree. I do not believe Rankin has much of a future for England (certainly at Test level) as we are producing plenty of bowlers. I dislike that we have basically poached him, and that action could be detrimental to England, Ireland and Rankin.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 4 Sep - 17:02

Not sure if poached is the right word LT.

I do agree that we wont use him , but it was his decision and if he plays in the county system as a non foreigner then he is there to be picked and he is there to accept it..

It will be tough if he doesn't get many more games . BUt he knew that risk and he took it!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 4 Sep - 17:15

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/23948028

The ICC has complimented Ireland on their progress, and said yesterday's ODI was a "big step" for Irish cricket.

Test status in just over six years is what the Irish want. They'll need the backward BCCI's approval won't they?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 5 Sep - 9:24

Duty281 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/23948028

The ICC has complimented Ireland on their progress, and said yesterday's ODI was a "big step" for Irish cricket.

Test status in just over six years is what the Irish want. They'll need the backward BCCI's approval won't they?
Good to see the ICC taking note of Ireland's performance. They are producing some fine players, and whenever given a chance, have stood up to the big boys at the international level. Hopefully they'll get test status soon and the player drain would stop.
I do hope the BCCI won't act as a stumbling block in Ireland's path to tes cricket like what Australia and England did to Sri Lanka in the 1970s.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3