The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Serena complaining about playing on Court 2

+20
pauline1981
erictheblueuk
Boston Exile
yummymummy
BATH_BTGOG
socal1976
EnglishReign
Simple_Analyst
laverfan
eirebilly
Tom_____
TrackJack
Chazfazzer
zx1234
noleisthebest
icecold
djlovesyou
hawkeye
sportslover
MunsterJoe
24 posters

Go down

Serena complaining about playing on Court 2 Empty Serena complaining about playing on Court 2

Post by MunsterJoe Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:31 pm

Hello everyone,

I have just watched Serena's interview where she was complaining about being sent out to No.2 court.
I seem to remember former greats like Lendl,Becker,Connors and even the peerless (at wimbledon) Pete Sampras have played on the court.
If I am not mistaken Sampras lost in 2002 on Court 2.

Serena tennis existed before you so stop complaing and get on with it.

MunsterJoe

Back to top Go down

Serena complaining about playing on Court 2 Empty Re: Serena complaining about playing on Court 2

Post by sportslover Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:44 pm

What they tend to forget is their current position in the rankings.

They aren't at the top!

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Serena complaining about playing on Court 2 Empty Re: Serena complaining about playing on Court 2

Post by hawkeye Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:12 pm

Serena should have been on centre or court 1. Not because of ranking or even because of the number of Wimbledon trophies that she has on a shelf at home but because she is a big crowd attraction.

I do think some faces "fit" at Wimbledon and some don't. Crazy! No other entertainment buiseness would do this to one of their top attractions.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:41 pm

Are early round Williams blowouts big crowd attractions?

I appreciate it didn't end up like that, but the pre-match perception would always be that this would be a 50 minute match.

I know they like to have two mens matches and one women's on the show courts so the matches last long enough so that there is a decent amount of tennis on show each day. Serena's match certainly doesn't deserve to be above Li vs Lisicki or Sharapova vs Robson, despite her star factor. Sharapova (and probably Robson in this country) probably pull a bigger crowd, and Li deserves a show court for her year so far.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by icecold Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:10 pm

She is the defending champion. She has no business being on court 2 no matter her current ranking. They wouldn't do that to Roger or Rafa, absolutely no way.

Lendl, Becker,Connors and even the peerless (at wimbledon) Pete Sampras were not defending champions when they played on Court 2.

It is an insult to Serena and an insult to the WTA IMO to stick the defending champion on an outside court.

icecold

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:15 pm

Roger and Rafa would always generate the enough interest to warrant the place on a show court though.

Serena vs no hoper doesn't.

I do agree that it's perhaps a little unfair, but the two WTA matches they picked deserve it far more.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:55 pm

djlovesyou wrote:Are early round Williams blowouts big crowd attractions?

I appreciate it didn't end up like that, but the pre-match perception would always be that this would be a 50 minute match.

I know they like to have two mens matches and one women's on the show courts so the matches last long enough so that there is a decent amount of tennis on show each day. Serena's match certainly doesn't deserve to be above Li vs Lisicki or Sharapova vs Robson, despite her star factor. Sharapova (and probably Robson in this country) probably pull a bigger crowd, and Li deserves a show court for her year so far.

I'm not totally convinced that the big crowd pull is always a potential close match. If that were the case a match between two players ranked closely even if they were outside the top hundred would always be favoured against a first round match featuring a big name. Most people want to see the big names. You don't get a much bigger name in tennis than Serena Williams. If I had to chose a womens 2nd round match to watch I know what I would chose!

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:58 pm

Serena moans too much. Yesterday she was in tears about being back from the dead, today she isn't happy about number 2 court. I know she is a great champion, but there are other more watchable matches and players, what's the big deal?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by zx1234 Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:21 pm

the organisers probably got it right, hewitt has as big a following as anyone and the match with soderling was one of the best of the day

zx1234

http://www.footballbetting365.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by icecold Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:50 pm

Well if anyone can point me to an example of a men's defending Wimbledon Champion playing on Court 2 then I will stand corrected.

But to my knowledge, it has never happened and probably will never happen so the only conclusion can be that sexism is at work here.

I view it more as a calculated insult to the WTA than the Williams sisters. It is like Wimbledon are saying; you might have dragged us kicking and screaming into the 21st century on the equal prize money issue but you know what, you ladies are still the undercard.

icecold

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:10 pm

icecold wrote:Well if anyone can point me to an example of a men's defending Wimbledon Champion playing on Court 2 then I will stand corrected.

But to my knowledge, it has never happened and probably will never happen so the only conclusion can be that sexism is at work here.

I view it more as a calculated insult to the WTA than the Williams sisters. It is like Wimbledon are saying; you might have dragged us kicking and screaming into the 21st century on the equal prize money issue but you know what, you ladies are still the undercard.

Well not a defending champion but I can remember when Nadal was put on the old court 2 (worse than the new one) in 2007. He was ranked 2, seeded 2, Wimbledon finalist the previous year and had just won the FO for the 2nd time. He had also just completed that infamous match against Soderling (played over 5 days because of rain delays and poor scheduling). I've always thought the reason he was "punished" in this way was because he dared to complain about the scheduling of his match with Soderling. If that was the case Serena should be very wary. Wonder where they will put her next...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:19 pm

I'm not too sure what people want.

Big names to get their due, fairness for the fans or fairness overall.

If it's about big names getting their due, you don't have the Tsonga/Dimitrov game and you have Serena instead. Fairness for the fans you probably leave it as it is with two ATP games per court to maximise play time, but perhaps put Serena on instead of Li Na vs Lisicki. Or fairness overall, you would perhaps keep things as they were because of the two ATP matches per court for play time (and given the fact that ATP is more popular that WTA in this country) and that Li Na does deserve a show court (for at least one early match) as the standout women's player of the year.

Not always easy to please everyone, but AELTC were probably naive if they didn't expect Serena to play the race card.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:32 pm

I think it is okay for Serena to "complain" about being sent out to court no 2 (did she really complain?) and it is also fair for the AELTC to put the seventh seed on court No 2.
Ok!

Back to top Go down

Post by icecold Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:41 pm

Nore Staat wrote:I think it is okay for Serena to "complain" about being sent out to court no 2 (did she really complain?) and it is also fair for the AELTC to put the seventh seed on court No 2.
Ok!

Schiavone was seeded five at Roland Garros but as defending champion she played all of her matches on Chatrier or Lenglen. That seems about right to me.

icecold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:48 pm

Let's hope for an improvement in the weather and I for one am pleased that Serena is back. She does seem to have had a dreadful time with medical complications.

OK

Back to top Go down

Post by icecold Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:58 pm

Nore Staat wrote:Let's hope for an improvement in the weather and I for one am pleased that Serena is back. She does seem to have had a dreadful time with medical complications.

OK

I'll drink to that. The WTA has really missed her quality.

icecold

Back to top Go down

Post by Chazfazzer Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:10 pm

'I view it more as a calculated insult to the WTA than the Williams sisters. It is like Wimbledon are saying; you might have dragged us kicking and screaming into the 21st century on the equal prize money issue but you know what, you ladies are still the undercard.'

I think you have to be realistic here. The male players bring in the crowds far more than the female players do; this isn't being sexist, it's just a fact. Many people would buy tickets to Centre Court if they knew Federer or Nadal were playing; I doubt they would buy them just to see Serena Williams play. The WTA have got it pretty good in that the women's game is of inferior quality to the men's yet they are still awarded equal prize money; I think the demotion of the part-time women's defending champion to Court 2 is a small price to pay.

Chazfazzer

Back to top Go down

Post by TrackJack Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:23 am

I can see why Serena would complain, but the fact is they need some variety on centre court and i feel even if she was on court 1 she would have had a moan, over the last few years i have come to think arrogance and rudeness might just be part of her (Horrible) character, that does not however take away from her amazing ability in tennis.

Also, she needs to respect the game a little more (Not to mention the All England club who have treated her like a Queen in the past) and realise that no matter where or when she plays, she has the immense talent and luck to play the games she loves everyday of her life if she wished and earn million from it, it should not matter what court she plays on, is it the game or the attention she loves? did you hear Wozniacki or Murray moan on Court 1? or Djokovic? NO!

Finally, for somebody who seems to be so selective on what comps she plays at you'd think she would have a little more tolerance for people playing games!

TrackJack

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom_____ Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:44 am

To be honest after the USO thing i couldn't care less about her - abhorrent woman.

Tom_____

Back to top Go down

Post by TrackJack Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:02 am

Agree 100% with Tom, amongst other outburst's.

TrackJack

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:13 am

I really am sick to death of Serena Williams, she acts like a spoilt child. Ok she is defending champion but she has been out of the game for 49 weeks. He ranking and seeding reflect this. Court 2 is hardly in the middle of nowhere either is it. I really hope she and her screaming sister dont win it.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:17 am

eirebilly wrote:I really am sick to death of Serena Williams, she acts like a spoilt child. Ok she is defending champion but she has been out of the game for 49 weeks. He ranking and seeding reflect this. Court 2 is hardly in the middle of nowhere either is it. I really hope she and her screaming sister dont win it.

Totally agree thumbsup

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:31 pm

The Na-Lisicki match was a good match on CC yesterday. Instead of complaining, she should have waited to see if the second week puts her on the CC.