The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What a way to treat defending champion

+13
yummymummy
yloponom68
Tenez
Haddie-nuff
superochog
CaledonianCraig
Chazfazzer
laverfan
lydian
legendkillar
hawkeye
icecold
Simple_Analyst
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What a way to treat defending champion Empty What a way to treat defending champion

Post by Simple_Analyst Thu 23 Jun 2011, 9:50 pm

With the bad weather and all the defending champion and world No1 Rafael Nadal has been put on court 1 and scheduled to play last. Put in a few 3 setters for the females, some rain and the defending champion might play into saturday as we saw for today. What a reward for the defending champion. Apparently as it was said for Murray, it will be unfair to have all matches played at the centre court.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

What a way to treat defending champion Empty Re: What a way to treat defending champion

Post by icecold Thu 23 Jun 2011, 9:52 pm

At least Nadal is on Court 1. What about the ladies defending champion banished to Court 2 today?

No respect.

icecold

Back to top Go down

What a way to treat defending champion Empty Re: What a way to treat defending champion

Post by Simple_Analyst Thu 23 Jun 2011, 9:56 pm

You have to wonder where they'll put Serena next, court 18. Sad really. To be clear court 1 or 18, no difference, they'll be affected by rain or bad light. The defending champions deserve better.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 23 Jun 2011, 9:57 pm

Both those womens matches could be over in little over 2 hours...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:00 pm

If he isn't complaining, whats with all the fuss?

Serena still won her match, does it matter what court your on?

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:01 pm

But you never know. Why the defending champion should get the rub of the green in unpredictable situation. Fairness and equally they say? How about no seeding and random draws then.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:02 pm

With the weather yes it does.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:03 pm

So be it. They had it at the French Open. Players can cope I am sure.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by icecold Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:05 pm

Simple_Analyst wrote:You have to wonder where they'll put Serena next, court 18. Sad really. To be clear court 1 or 18, no difference, they'll be affected by rain or bad light. The defending champions deserve better.

I think that it would be unfair for one player to play all their matches on centre court (whoever that is) but there is no way that a defending champion should ever be on an outside court. That is just an outrage.

Hopefully the weather won't be too bad tomorrow and in any case Nadal has proved himself on many occasions to be better than most at coping with adverse conditions so hopefully he will get by Gilles Muller tomorrow without too much difficulty.

icecold

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:06 pm

icecold wrote:
Simple_Analyst wrote:You have to wonder where they'll put Serena next, court 18. Sad really. To be clear court 1 or 18, no difference, they'll be affected by rain or bad light. The defending champions deserve better.

I think that it would be unfair for one player to play all their matches on centre court (whoever that is) but there is no way that a defending champion should ever be on an outside court. That is just an outrage.

Hopefully the weather won't be too bad tomorrow and in any case Nadal has proved himself on many occasions to be better than most at coping with adverse conditions so hopefully he will get by Gilles Muller tomorrow without too much difficulty.

If you are that outraged, send a complaint!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:07 pm

Forecast looks fine tomorrow.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by icecold Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:08 pm

legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:

It is not worth it.

icecold

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:09 pm

icecold wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:

It is not worth it.

Stop moaning it's an outrage then!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:12 pm

Legendkiller I normally don't have problem where on what a player plays in stable conditions but this is not the case. The weather can change tomorrow but the point is the defending champion should be on cc.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:13 pm

Court 1 is not Outer Magnolia, is it? Rafa knows how to win. thumbsup

Rafa played on Lenglen against Andujar (not PC). Did not hurt him at all.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by icecold Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:15 pm

legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:

It is not worth it.

Oh .. I am sorry. You seem to have confused contributing a perfectly valid, well argued point to an internet forum as "moaning". You have my deepest sympathy.

Last edited by icecold on Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

icecold

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:15 pm

S_A in the interest of fairness Nadal has been on CC. Twice. Going on C1 is hardly going to hurt his chances. Wimbledon organisers have done a grand job thus far.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:16 pm

icecold wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:

It is not worth it.

Oh .. I am sorry. You seem to have confused contributing a perfectly valid, well argued point to an internet forum as "moaning". You have my deepest sympathy.

At best it is unfortunate. Not an outrage!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:17 pm

Simple_Analyst wrote:With the bad weather and all the defending champion and world No1 Rafael Nadal has been put on court 1 and scheduled to play last. Put in a few 3 setters for the females, some rain and the defending champion might play into saturday as we saw for today. What a reward for the defending champion. Apparently as it was said for Murray, it will be unfair to have all matches played at the centre court.

Are you saying the bad weather and "all" are mistreating defending champion and world No1 Rafael Nadal? The only solution I can think of is to appeal to the weather gods and "all" using the traditional Druid practice of sacrificing a young goat.
Ok!

Back to top Go down

Post by icecold Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:19 pm

legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:

It is not worth it.

What has fortune got to do with it? It is not bad luck that a defending champion played on Court 2 today. It was a calculated act.

It doesn't happen at any of the other slams who also have bad weather to contend with.

And living in the 21st century I do consider the existence of sexist policies to be an outrage.

icecold

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:21 pm

What next then Legendkiller? The defending champion has played 2 times on cc and 1 time on court when he wins so he should be sent to court 2?

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:23 pm

icecold wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:

It is not worth it.

What has fortune got to do with it? It is not bad luck that a defending champion played on Court 2 today. It was a calculated act.

It doesn't happen at any of the other slams who also have bad weather to contend with.

And living in the 21st century I do consider the existence of sexist policies to be an outrage.

laughing

Did you not see the rain at the FO?? I guess not

In the 21st century I am amazed we are able to churn narrow-minded views based on nothing

It is unfortunate for Serena, at best.

I am sure she dried her tears and yours

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:24 pm

Doubt he will get that far S_A.

Court 1 is still a tennis court at the end of the day and that is where the match is won.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by icecold Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:28 pm

legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:

It is not worth it.

laughing

In the 21st century I am amazed we are able to churn narrow-minded views based on nothing

Oh, I see. You have run out of anything substantial to say. Let's just leave it there then.

icecold

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:30 pm

icecold wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:

It is not worth it.

laughing

Oh, I see. You have run out of anything substantial to say. Let's just leave it there then.

So I take it you didn't see the FO rain this year??

I see you have nothing to back your cause in your ranting.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:32 pm

Perhaps time to lock this thread, LK. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:33 pm

This thread looks like it needs locking soon.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by icecold Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:33 pm

legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:

It is not worth it.

laughing

What is your point? It doesn't rain at the FO, USO or Australian Opens? Whistle

That FO, USO and Australian Open all schedule gents and ladies defending champions on outside courts? Whistle

Please explain, I am all ears.

icecold

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:34 pm

Of course court 1 is a tennis court so is court 2. What do you think ranking are for? Statistical amusement? Not to mention the highest ranked player is also defending champion.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:35 pm

icecold wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:

It is not worth it.

laughing

That FO, USO and Australian Open all schedule gents and ladies defending champions on outside courts? Whistle

My point is that Serena being on Court 2 is not the outrage you insinuate it is! Better players have graced that court and not complained!

I would like your proof of sexism though Whistle

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:36 pm

Rafa being on Court 1 is hardily heartbreaking is it?

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by icecold Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:39 pm

legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:

It is not worth it.

laughing

My point is that Serena being on Court 2 is not the outrage you insinuate it is! Better players have graced that court and not complained!

How many of them have been male defending champions at the time?

icecold

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:44 pm

icecold wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
icecold wrote:

It is not worth it.

laughing

How many of them have been male defending champions at the time?

You tell me as I am asking you for proof of sexism, I am not doing your work for you!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:45 pm

Nadal played a match on Suzanne Lenglen during his defence S_A. So is that wrong?

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by icecold Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:54 pm

legendkillar wrote:Nadal played a match on Suzanne Lenglen during his defence S_A. So is that wrong?

No. Suzanne Lenglen is a show court, the equivalent to Court 1. Most people accept that it would give an unfair advantage to the Champion if he/she is permanently stationed on the best court so there is no objection to Nadal / Federer playing on Court 1 or Lenglen to allow the other main contenders a chance to get used to Chatrier where the important matches in the 2nd week will be played.

The defending male champion will never ever play on court 2 at Wimbledon. You know it and I know it. But it happens to the ladies regularly. This isn't a one off situation and you know it.

So if it is fair or doesn't matter that the ladies defending champion plays on court 2 then the male defending champions should play there too. If it is wrong for the male defending champions to play on outside courts then the ladies defending champions shouldn't either.

Plain and simple sexism at work here.

.... Oh and the answer to the question how many male defending champions have played on Court 2 .... big fat zero.

Last edited by icecold on Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

icecold

Back to top Go down

Post by Chazfazzer Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:55 pm

I love it how worked up you guys get over these sorts of things! Nadal only playing on Court Number 1 instead of Centre Court...boo hoo; for the amount these guys are earning he should be prepared to play on a council estate court with no net.

Chazfazzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:59 pm

I think we can count the names of great high profile and defending champions playing on court 1 on one finger.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 23 Jun 2011, 11:03 pm

No. Suzanne Lenglen is a show court, the equivalent to Court 1. Most people accept that it would give an unfair advantage to the Champion if he/she is permanently stationed on the best court so there is no objection to Nadal / Federer playing on Court 1 or Lenglen to allow the other main contenders a chance to get used to Chatrier where the important matches in the 2nd week will be played.

We agree on something thumbsup

As far as Serena, Court 2 with due respect has improved it's standards as showpiece court. Not on the scale of CC or C1.

I think we could go bac to pre-war days for a defending male champion not be on CC or C1.

I had qualms about Hewitt and Soderling being on CC and that turned out to be a fantastic match.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 23 Jun 2011, 11:06 pm

S_A Court 1 is still a 'stage' court. I didn't hear complaints when he was on Lenglen.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Thu 23 Jun 2011, 11:07 pm

Lol people shouldn't get this the wrong way. The FO has proven to be drier most years and with no roof over chatrier, it would hold no advantage playing the defending champion there should there be fairness as any bad weather will affect all the courts. The Wimbledon cc has a roof so in a 2 week unpredictable weather should be giving the advantage of cc. If there hadn't been a roof, they could put him on court 18 for all I care.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Thu 23 Jun 2011, 11:12 pm

Legendkiller my argument is not on how big the stage is but how convenient it is for the World no.1 and defending champion. The French don't particularly warm up to Nadal but I can't imagine with a possible bad weather for the duration of the tournament and a roof over Chatrier how they will not schedule all Nadal's matches there.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 24 Jun 2011, 1:41 am

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/tennis/news/article.cfm?c_id=94&objectid=10734196

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 24 Jun 2011, 7:30 am

Fact of the matter is that BOTH Centre Court and Court One are show courts. In the past they were both seen as the places to play for the top seeds, defending champions, ex-champions etc. Now I think that Centre Court has a roof the dynamics have been changed as being on Centre Court is far more important as rain is not going to affect players drawn to play there. However, no matter what the players stature in the game (despite what their avid fans think) does not and should not guarantee them a spot in all their matches on Centre Court as that would be blatantly unfair on other players who may have their schedule ruined by weather. The rain element should remain an equal threat to ALL players otherwise the whole thing becomes unfair.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by superochog Fri 24 Jun 2011, 8:30 am

I don't think anyone care about the show court argument - the problem Rafa fans have is to do with the roof. Centre court has advantage because of roof and you know that your match will be finished irrespective of weather. Now lets see if Fed gets court 1. Nadal, Djoko and Murray all got their share of court 1 in first week.

superochog

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri 24 Jun 2011, 9:49 am

Would Centre Court not having a roof have made a difference to the arguement?

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 24 Jun 2011, 10:02 am

I don't think it would lk as I said in my earlier post. Both are show courts and before Centre Court got its roof we never had these sorts of complaints about Centre Court/Court One. Obviously, now that Centre Court has a roof it is the place fans want their player always to play because purely of the weather factor. A Centre Court spot guarantees their schedule will remain as perfect as can be which, in my opinion, means it is imperative that all the top seeded players get a taste of Court One simply for fairness reasons.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Fri 24 Jun 2011, 10:04 am

Yes it would. None of us will complain as in the case of bad weather, all courts will be affected so no problem whether it is cc, c1 or 2. Even now on cc, bad lights cannot stop play as they have flood lights to go with the roof.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri 24 Jun 2011, 10:08 am

It doesn't look like it is going to rain today. Not until the late evening. So all the fuss is over nothing really.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Fri 24 Jun 2011, 10:26 am

Whether it rains or not is irrelevant. The defending champion and world No.1 should get the benefit of playing on the court with a roof in unpredictable weather.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 24 Jun 2011, 10:43 am

My only contribution to this debate...which frankly is a hoot... if were written on paper it would take half the Amazonian Rain Forest...
Is that if I had bought centre court tickets on the day that Rafa was playing and I being a Rafa fan would have expected to see him. Obviously I would have thought he would be on centre court. However
providing it doesnt rain (thus changing his whole schedule) I see no problem. I doubt it bothers him much ... his best mate is playing on centre court today so he will have a laugh with him over dinner tonight for sure.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next