The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What a way to treat defending champion

+13
yummymummy
yloponom68
Tenez
Haddie-nuff
superochog
CaledonianCraig
Chazfazzer
laverfan
lydian
legendkillar
hawkeye
icecold
Simple_Analyst
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What a way to treat defending champion - Page 2 Empty What a way to treat defending champion

Post by Simple_Analyst Thu 23 Jun 2011, 9:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

With the bad weather and all the defending champion and world No1 Rafael Nadal has been put on court 1 and scheduled to play last. Put in a few 3 setters for the females, some rain and the defending champion might play into saturday as we saw for today. What a reward for the defending champion. Apparently as it was said for Murray, it will be unfair to have all matches played at the centre court.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

What a way to treat defending champion - Page 2 Empty Re: What a way to treat defending champion

Post by superochog Fri 24 Jun 2011, 10:50 am

If Roger is not given court 1 then I will think that something is smelling no? Rolling Eyes

superochog

Back to top Go down

What a way to treat defending champion - Page 2 Empty Re: What a way to treat defending champion

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 24 Jun 2011, 10:55 am

superochog wrote:If Roger is not given court 1 then I will think that something is smelling no? Rolling Eyes

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhh now then we will have a different kettle of fish to fry..

There will be mutiny on the tennis boards What a way to treat defending champion - Page 2 739524634 What a way to treat defending champion - Page 2 2115032417 What a way to treat defending champion - Page 2 2650018817 What a way to treat defending champion - Page 2 103794910 What a way to treat defending champion - Page 2 177851

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri 24 Jun 2011, 11:11 am

I don't think anyone deserves to 'benefit' ahead of others. The tournament is an open event to all players. They get benefits with being seeded. I think that is enough of a benefit.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 24 Jun 2011, 11:14 am

Simple_Analyst wrote:Whether it rains or not is irrelevant. The defending champion and world No.1 should get the benefit of playing on the court with a roof in unpredictable weather.

I disagree as that then smacks of favouritism and bias and the organisers have to be impartial. After all Centre Court now guarantees matches are finished on the day they start so for a player to be a constant on Centre Court comparted to those that aren't is going to have an unfair advantage over those that have their schedules ruined by weather and end up playing matches on back-to-back days and less rest between matches etc and that is just not fair. As long as ALL top seeds are given a Court One outing to keep it fair I don't have a problem with it.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 24 Jun 2011, 12:33 pm

Simple_Analyst wrote:Whether it rains or not is irrelevant. The defending champion and world No.1 should get the benefit of playing on the court with a roof in unpredictable weather.

Sod and Rafa played a long five-set match due to weather delays. Wimbledon is an outdoor championship. The roof is a convenience to avoid interruptions. Agree with CC that it would be unfair to other players.

Seppi-Baghdatis, Ferrer-Harrison, Tomic-Andreev, Tursunov-Melzer did not get the benefit of the roof. Whistle

Fed should get Court 1, and I think he will.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 24 Jun 2011, 12:35 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
superochog wrote:If Roger is not given court 1 then I will think that something is smelling no? Rolling Eyes

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhh now then we will have a different kettle of fish to fry..

There will be mutiny on the tennis boards What a way to treat defending champion - Page 2 739524634 What a way to treat defending champion - Page 2 2115032417 What a way to treat defending champion - Page 2 2650018817 What a way to treat defending champion - Page 2 103794910 What a way to treat defending champion - Page 2 177851

Looks like a 'my-dad-is-bigger-than-your-dad' debate. laughing

Was that OPs intention all along? Whistle

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 24 Jun 2011, 12:37 pm

The funny thing is laver I bet your Dad is bigger than my Dad was
Everybody´s Dad was bigger than mine What a way to treat defending champion - Page 2 3497602689

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 24 Jun 2011, 12:40 pm

Since the roof is now on CC, perhaps 606v2 should debate if Court 1 needs a roof or not.

Would that lead to the number of people in stands not being the same and cries of unfairness again? laughing

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 24 Jun 2011, 12:43 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:The funny thing is laver I bet your Dad is bigger than my Dad was
Everybody´s Dad was bigger than mine What a way to treat defending champion - Page 2 3497602689
Hug Not the way it was intended. I had noted earlier as this being a subtle form of a Fedal debate, which is being confirmed, if that was OPs original intention. zen

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 24 Jun 2011, 12:47 pm

What a way to treat defending champion - Page 2 769663 No laver I know ... it is my warped humour..... it has always been an expression that I find so amusing ... my father had the chance to be a jockey when he was younger so you can see how small he was...No offence taken I assure you Wink

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 24 Jun 2011, 12:56 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:What a way to treat defending champion - Page 2 769663 No laver I know ... it is my warped humour..... it has always been an expression that I find so amusing ... my father had the chance to be a jockey when he was younger so you can see how small he was...No offence taken I assure you Wink

That comment was also intended for SuperOChog's comment.

Jockeys work as hard as any other athlete, IMVHO.

Glad you did not challenge me to a single-shot duel at Wimbledon CC (under the roof Wink) .

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 24 Jun 2011, 12:58 pm

So am I ... cos you would have won What a way to treat defending champion - Page 2 590675

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Fri 24 Jun 2011, 12:59 pm

Oh dear Laverfan stop the paranoia or i'll have to report you to the moderators. Whenever a debate is going on, you come with silly illusions it's a Fedal debate. It seems reading is a problem for you. Until after 50 post not any one person mentioned any relations to Federer and Nadal in the same sentence. Grow up! You are acting very immatured.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 24 Jun 2011, 1:10 pm

Simple_Analyst wrote:Grow up! You are acting very immatured.

... and your sign of maturity is writing this article.... Whistle

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Fri 24 Jun 2011, 1:15 pm

So you now decide what articles are written on this board. If writing on a court schedule is immatured ph ,Really you need to grow up and stop being paranoid.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 24 Jun 2011, 2:12 pm

I need to write an article on Del Potro (a slam winner) not on being the CC under the roof, to match what you have written. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Fri 24 Jun 2011, 7:36 pm

Look what we have here, after the fears shown in the article which drew various attacks from other posters, play has been suspended on all outside courts meaning the defending champion among others will have to continue play tomorrow and this shows how fair things are in a tennis ranking and seeding system. Maybe had they put th defending champion on earlier on court 18, he might have played his match before play gets suspended.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 24 Jun 2011, 7:37 pm

Cry

Laugh

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri 24 Jun 2011, 7:40 pm

Happens to the best of us S_A

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 24 Jun 2011, 7:46 pm

legendkillar wrote:Happens to the best of us S_A

Weather dont look too good for tomorrow so that could mean Fed then What a way to treat defending champion - Page 2 479796

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri 24 Jun 2011, 7:49 pm

Well I would imagine Rafa will be on CC.

Fed court 18 anyone? laughing

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Fri 24 Jun 2011, 7:50 pm

Oh don't worry Legendkiller Nadal played 5 days in a row at Wimbledon before and still made the finals, can't see any difference this time. It shouldn't happen to a defending champion this year but I guess Serena on court 1 means hope, i'm suprised in the spirit of fairness she is not on court 4 tomorrow.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 24 Jun 2011, 7:51 pm

legendkillar wrote:Well I would imagine Rafa will be on CC.

Fed court 18 anyone? What a way to treat defending champion - Page 2 3497602689

Ohhhhh you are awful !!! but I like ya What a way to treat defending champion - Page 2 3497602689

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Fri 24 Jun 2011, 7:53 pm

Oh don't worry about Fed, the 3rd seeds is catered for and will play on cc tomorrow. It's only fair he plays there. Lol

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 24 Jun 2011, 8:00 pm

Simple_Analyst wrote:Oh don't worry about Fed, the 3rd seeds is catered for and will play on cc tomorrow. It's only fair he plays there. Lol

Of course silly me Wink

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Fri 24 Jun 2011, 8:11 pm

Oops! Fedal police will be here soon to police this heated Fedal debate... Of I go!

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 24 Jun 2011, 8:19 pm

Start a donation campaign for roof on court 18. laughing

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by yloponom68 Fri 24 Jun 2011, 8:19 pm

It's not about any specific detail in, and of, itself.

It's about parity.

For someone like Serena, who has not only brought all she has to the game (irrelevant to anyone's particular like, or dislike of a specific player), but is also the Defending Champion (which does appropriate "kudos" like no other Major tournament), it does seem like somewhat of a slight by the AELTC, to put her on Court 2.

It may well not be a conscious "thing," and if a player does get put on a court, with which they are not happy, the best thing they can do, is to go out and win against their opponent.

Centre Court matches on the same day:

Soderling v Hewitt - Hewitt won this in 2002, so it's been a while, I would have thought Serena, being a four time Singles champion (nevermind the Doubles titles), and defending champion, would have been the more obvious match to put on Court 1.

Lisicki v Na - Na is the most recent Major champion so I can see why they wanted to feature her, as there are a lot of people who probably don't even know who she is, so I get that.

Federer v Marrino - Federer as a 6 time champion, yes, understand this, even though it's not expected to be a great match; it's about Federer and all that he has done for, and at SW19. No problem.

Court 1 matches on the same day:

Djokovic v Anderson - well, although Djokovic has his incredible streak from this year, this also could have been put elsewhere in order to put the Ladies' Defending champion on one of the show courts.

Tsonga v Dimitrov - this is perhaps the one match that screamed to be put onto another court, rather than Court 1, with Serena going on to Court 2. Neither has done well at Wimbledon, neither has grass court pedigree per se, so this is the one that I think should have been shceduled elsewhere, with Serena being put on Court 1.

Robson v Sharapova- same thing here, ALTHOUGH, as a British player involved, I can undertand the want to showcase her to the British Public; in tandem with Sharapova, who is probably the greatest "show card" in women's tennis (think tickets sales, merchandise sales!), I can understand the reasons for this match going on Court 1.

Wrap up on this for me - Tsonga and Dimitrov was the match that should have been usurped by Serena playing that day.

That all said, the AELTC has an incredible job to do, scheduling all the matches, and with the impact from the rain, there are bound to be players/matches that should be on a show court, but there aren't enough show courts, to do this, whilst they try to keep the schedule on target.

The main goal I think, whilst tring to get the most "interesting" matches on show courts, is to get the draw progressed to the furthest point it can, in light of the weather "problems."

The issue of where a specific player plays, and their feelings about same, pale into comparison to the need to avoid players playing on consecutive days, as far as possible. What no one wants, is to have top players having to play consecutive days, no?

You can't please ALL the players/viewers ALL of the time, so you do what you think right, to please the majority of the players/viewers, the majority of the time.

We'll see where Serena gets placed for the next round. With her playing against Azarenka, I would imagine that it "screams'" Centre Court, or No 1 Court. But again, it will depend on weather, where the rest of the two singles draws are, etc., etc.,

Just keep winning Serena, and it will all fall where it falls, and be totally forgotten, should you raise the Venus Rosewater Dish for a 5th time in 8 days time. Good luck!

yloponom68

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Fri 24 Jun 2011, 8:20 pm

Oh - WHAT a shame

No-one of any *importance* (erm WHO? )
has played CC so far . What a load of cobblers and
shoe Elves.

EVERYONE has to take their turn on CC - SO WHAT ???

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 24 Jun 2011, 8:58 pm

Oh well everyone should be happy tomorrow then

Rafa resumes on Court 1

Federer and Djokovic on CC....

What a way to treat defending champion - Page 2 590675 What a way to treat defending champion - Page 2 590675 What a way to treat defending champion - Page 2 590675
Im saying nothing

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Fri 24 Jun 2011, 9:59 pm

No.2 Court is a show court though, is it not?

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 24 Jun 2011, 10:00 pm

Without a roof if it rains again

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 24 Jun 2011, 10:10 pm

Tomorrow Nadal should have been on Centre Court and Roger Federer on Court One (after all it is now 99.99% certain) that from this point on he'll be guaranteed Centre Court whereas all the other main players have played on Court One. Consistency is all we ask for in these decisions so that each player gets an equally fair crack of the whip so as to speak.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Fri 24 Jun 2011, 10:20 pm

No, Wimbledon is promoting fairness so Nadal had to continue on court 1. Should there be a miracle and it's a wash out tomorrow, no problem, his court 1 schedule will just be moved to sunday while others carry on centre court. The spirit of Wimbledon.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 25 Jun 2011, 6:45 am

Simple_Analyst wrote:No, Wimbledon is promoting fairness so Nadal had to continue on court 1. Should there be a miracle and it's a wash out tomorrow, no problem, his court 1 schedule will just be moved to sunday while others carry on centre court. The spirit of Wimbledon.

Yes and then he will be playing catch-up back to back matches whilst Djoko and his Lorddship get the appropriate time off.... spirit of Wimbledon !!!

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 Jun 2011, 10:15 am

Nadal should resume on court 1, a match should be finished on the court on which it started. This ensures that all conditions remain constant.

As for Federer, well he should NEVER, I repeat, NEVER, play on any court other than CC. He is a 6 times, I repeat, 6 times, wimbledon champion, 16 times GS winner and the greatest player of all time.

He is also the most popular player on tour by a country mile. It would be an INJUSTICE to the tennis fans and tennis in general if the maestro/TMF/Fedex/swiss assasin/genius/GOAT were to play on any other court.

Cest la vie, live with it. A knight has to earn his spurs.

emancipator - telling it how it is.
emancipator - universal tennis correspondent and the world's foremost expert on tennis.

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 25 Jun 2011, 10:34 am

Words fail me so I wont other than if the situation were reversed oh dear oh dear Shocked

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat 25 Jun 2011, 11:09 am

emancipator wrote:Nadal should resume on court 1, a match should be finished on the court on which it started. This ensures that all conditions remain constant.

As for Federer, well he should NEVER, I repeat, NEVER, play on any court other than CC. He is a 6 times, I repeat, 6 times, wimbledon champion, 16 times GS winner and the greatest player of all time.

Sampras was a seven time champion and got stuck on court 2.

emancipator wrote:
He is also the most popular player on tour by a country mile. It would be an INJUSTICE to the tennis fans and tennis in general if the maestro/TMF/Fedex/swiss assasin/genius/GOAT were to play on any other court.

Actually if you watch the finals against Rafa the support is pretty equal as the Brits actually apreciate both players, I'd say they receive equal support in England. Also, Murray is probably more supported than any of them and he played a match on court 1. The support Federer gets anywhere else is irrelevant.

Having said that, I actually agree with Rafa's match being carried over on court 1, because I believe matches should be played from start to finish on the same court. Also, Rafa looked to have picked up a slight twinge yesterday so the interruption may actually have helped him. Provided he gets his match finished today he'll have tomorrow off still, so there's no real disadvantage there.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 25 Jun 2011, 11:23 am

Im not suggesting that he should be on anything other than Court 1 today... obviously the match was started there and so in fairness to both players it must be completed.
I argue the fact that the organisers must have known what the forecast was for yesterday that Rafa should not have been put on anything but CC. I dont care how many times Fed has been champion.. nothing to do with anything in my view.. He is at this moment in time World No.3.
I have not known Federer have to give way to #3 when he was reigning champ...still thats my beef for today What a way to treat defending champion - Page 2 590675

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat 25 Jun 2011, 11:28 am

Haddie, yesterday the matches on Centre were Murray-Ljubicic, which apart from having the great British hope (who'd already had his turn on court 1 BTW) had a lot of potential to be a great match, so was deserving of CC status, and Roddick-Lopez, again potentially a good match (if a bit serve heavy). Compare that with Nadal-Muller which on paper is an easy win for Rafa, and you can understand that he was on court 1. However, given that Roddick had already had a turn on CC, I think Rafa would have deserved it more. Nothing to do with Fed, yesterday's scheduling.

Oh well, it didn't turn out too badly as thay came off when Rafa had a twinge, and as I said as long as they finish today (and looking at the forecast they should) he'll be fine.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 25 Jun 2011, 11:35 am

Mad for Chelsea wrote:Haddie, yesterday the matches on Centre were Murray-Ljubicic, which apart from having the great British hope (who'd already had his turn on court 1 BTW) had a lot of potential to be a great match, so was deserving of CC status, and Roddick-Lopez, again potentially a good match (if a bit serve heavy). Compare that with Nadal-Muller which on paper is an easy win for Rafa, and you can understand that he was on court 1. However, given that Roddick had already had a turn on CC, I think Rafa would have deserved it more. Nothing to do with Fed, yesterday's scheduling.

Oh well, it didn't turn out too badly as thay came off when Rafa had a twinge, and as I said as long as they finish today (and looking at the forecast they should) he'll be fine.

Who said that Rafa and Muller was a potentially easy match for Rafa when everyone has been screaming from the media that this is Rafa´s danger man. I like Lopez but that match was not deserving of CC. If I had bought a ticket for CC yesterday it would not have been a match I would have expected to see at the expense of the reigning champion.

Having said all that... I daresay Rafa doesnt give a toss and neither will I if his match continues today uninterrupted... otherwise if his match is abandoned yet again then I will be spitting feathers to have to see him play again tomorrow whilst the other two languish in their hotel rooms. I think it had everything to do with Fed
so there we will have to agree to disagree

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sat 25 Jun 2011, 12:30 pm

Federer should be on Court 1 or even Court 2 when it's his turn. I personally think that no-one is above the the tournament and I repeat, when our ashes are laid to rest, there is always someone else out there who is better. Ask a certain Spainiard.

OK

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Sat 25 Jun 2011, 12:31 pm

Let us also extend our sympathy to Del Potro who is playing everyday of the week. Why can't they at least schedule his match so he plays first on a day thf match is carried over?

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 25 Jun 2011, 12:33 pm

Very true LK.. there is another expression too... if you want to judge just how much you will be missed (when you leave a sport, your job, or even this world) put your hand into a bucket of water then take it out ... what impression have you left. ???? cynical but true.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 25 Jun 2011, 12:34 pm

Simple_Analyst wrote:Let us also extend our sympathy to Del Potro who is playing everyday of the week. Why can't they at least schedule his match so he plays first on a day thf match is carried over?

SA .. I agree absolutely

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sat 25 Jun 2011, 12:36 pm

Very wise there Haddie. May be cynical, but it is true. As one of my favourite film quotes

"We are nothing but shadows and dust"

But in all serious, Nadal fans didn't have problem with him playing on C1. I am sure I saw Federer on Court 1 last year? Or did I imagine it?

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 25 Jun 2011, 12:39 pm

LK I dont have a problem with it let me assure you ... ONLY will I have a problem with it if his match gets delayed again today because of the weather... then I have a problem. Other than that bring it on... Im gonna watch it whatever court... its poised for a long one for Rafa thats what bothers me about the weather... this bloke is no slouch

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 Jun 2011, 2:23 pm

Hello

Very Happy

Quit whining already.

Fed is the most popular player on tour n that's a fact duuuuuuuuuudes.

How many consecutive years has he won the fans favourite award, 7, 8?

Anyway Nadal is very fortunate that his probable next opponent, Del Potro, has played EVERY day thus far. Now that's unfair scheduling, plus he's never had the luxury of playing centre court.

Haven't heard a single JMDP fan whining.

Now for more pressing matters,

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, where for art thou oh BOOOOOOO

Thouest isest forgiveneeeeeeeeeeest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 Jun 2011, 2:42 pm

What the hell are you all arguing about.... apart from CC having a new roof, rebuilding C1 in Aorangi Park and Court 2 the old Court 13 but rebuilt to house 4000 people, they are all top courts to play on. All are centre stages and have been used by past champions, defending champions and minnows in rotation since the tournament began.

I can understand the Williams point, but not the Nadal argument.

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 25 Jun 2011, 3:39 pm

Jubba

Then you have not been following the postings...there was only one thing to understand that was the interruption of play should it have rained again today... not because it isn´t a show court... did you deliberately miss that point or are you cherry picking. As it happens the worst scenario never happend so its all over now What a way to treat defending champion - Page 2 732107

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next