The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most embarrassing thing to happen to you on the pitch?

+5
rodders
Totallybiasedscarlet
Shifty
mckay1402
InjuredYetAgain
9 posters

Go down

Most embarrassing thing to happen to you on the pitch? Empty Most embarrassing thing to happen to you on the pitch?

Post by InjuredYetAgain Sat 25 Jun 2011, 9:20 pm

I was playing for our seconds at a hell-hole just north of the River Forth near a naval dockyard against a team that tended to be well stocked by said dock yard workers. The opposition scrum-half was a niggly wee blighter (like 99% of scrum halves) and he was really getting on my nerves by mouthing off all day, stamping on my hands when they were (admittedly illegally) holding onto the ball in rucks etc.
Anyway, the game was close but in the last few minutes our scrum half made a break from open play got over the try-line, run towards the posts to make the kick easier and then flopped down to score the try. Their scrum-half arrived 2 seconds later sliding feet first into our guy's chest. Being where every good open-side flanker should be i.e. on the 22 meter line watching this, I ran shouting and screamling about what I was going to do to their guy. I was about 10 yards away from the incident when the two scrum halves helped each other up and their guy apologised. I thought that I had made the effort to get there so i would just extract a bit of justice anyway. Their guy saw me coming, turned to face me and knocked me over with a single punch. Result - an eye that was split open plus a 10 stretch in the bin (with the ref saying that he shoud have sent me off for running in from so far away but he felt sorry for me).

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Most embarrassing thing to happen to you on the pitch? Empty Re: Most embarrassing thing to happen to you on the pitch?

Post by mckay1402 Sat 25 Jun 2011, 9:30 pm

wow that is embarassing. I don't think anyone is going to be able to follow that... you should have started with "Once, my shorts broke and I had to get changed on the pitch. Everyone could see my nuts..." then bring out the big guns later... I imagine you got some stick for that...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Most embarrassing thing to happen to you on the pitch? Empty Re: Most embarrassing thing to happen to you on the pitch?

Post by InjuredYetAgain Sat 25 Jun 2011, 9:39 pm

Serious stick, mckay. Our club had a newsletter that was e-mailed out on a weekly basis to players, fans etc. so I was even immortalised in print. Once the e-mail hit the streets, my inbox lit up like a Xmas tree with all these wise-guys offering me a tutu to wear for the next game, asking whether i wanted to have a Tia Maria and coke when I was next in the clubhouse etc.
Actually, you bring up the subject of nuts, so embarrassing story v11. A good few years ago, I was lagging behind play (there is a trend beginning to appear here) and just as I got the to maul where one of out guys had his arms going like pistons to rip the ball out, he won the ball but his elbows had some much momentum that they kept flying back the way and landed flush in my christmas crackers. i went down like I had been shot. Those were the days of a medical bag consisting of ralgex or cold water and I didn't really fancy either of them on my plums thank you very much!

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 26 Jun 2011, 11:05 am

Probably the most embarrasing thing was in a home game for Porthcawl Comprehensive against Pencoed comprhensive when i was about 14 or 15. We'd never played Pencoed before or even heard of their existence but we drew them in a cup game.
Looking at them didn't worry us they were about our size apart from my opposite prop who must of been bigger than Adam Jones he was a monster! Straight from the kick off he caught the ball I charged after it and tried to spear him to make my mark, but i just bounced off him, he charged through our hooker and other prop who tried to double tackle him and through the rest of our team to score right at the start. As I got up the other prop run over to me and said it was my fault for not nailing him, but I pointed out I was the only one who run up to tackle him and he went through everyone else not just me and he shut up, lol.
I think they won by something like 120 points which was awful considering the amount of people who were watching, but they were so much better and we quickly realised why our school never put us against them before. Our team went to pieces for the rest of the season and ended up losing by nearly as much to Kenfig Hill comprehensive the following week which was shocking because they were not normally that much better than us. After Kenfig Hill, Maesteg Comprehensive came and beat us 44-0 as well, so it was bad times.
The worst thing of all was I'm from Kenfig Hill and NEVER won a game against them in all the years I played against them for club or School. Whats even worse is I go into every game looking forward to seeing my old mates and they always used to give me a hammering during the game, then say hello afterwards Rolling Eyes
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Sun 26 Jun 2011, 11:15 am

I remember eyballing my opposite number at kick-off. The fly half kicked the ball and I kept eyeballing my opposite tight-head. Next thing the ball landed point first on my head and I fell over. Not good! 🤦
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun 26 Jun 2011, 11:35 am

Hmm a couple of things stick out for me.

First one when I was playing for my university team. I think it was the 1st time I'd played rugby in a few years and was a bit rusty. I was on the right wing and the opposite wing wrong footed me, I fell to my left and he went to my right and totally instinctively I stuck out my leg and tripped the guy. He went flying and immediately the ref blew the whistle. I thought I was off but got stern warning. I think it was the only time I ever got in trouble with a ref and felt pretty bad for the other guy,who was ok thankfully.

Another one was a time we were playing RL and it was pelting down with snow. The stand off looped round and passed to me on the overlap with and left me with a clear run to the line 10-15 metres out. The ball was like a bar of soap and I juggled it and knocked on before getting smashed by the covering defence. I'd blown a certain try but thankfully the matched got called off at half time due to the snow.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Sun 26 Jun 2011, 11:50 am

Was a sub, and got subbed on for the start of the second half. Really up for this game. Anyway waiting for the restart and they were kicking to us. They kick off and the ball is coming down to me, I call it and I'm about to go for a carry when the ref calls that they were infront of the kicker. They take it again, the ball comes down to me, I call for it and of course as soon as I catch it I get completely smashed by a big nasty lock forward. Completely winded me. On the floor struggaling to get my breath back. The boys did royally take the p!ss.

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane_Williams_Ospreys1 Sun 26 Jun 2011, 12:03 pm

Yeah, i can probably match that, playing at U18 level for my club a few years back we got our winger injured in pre-match warm up and then 2 minutes into the match our reserve back (playing wing) broke a finger. Turns out we had no other subs for the backs so our coach shifted the fastest forward, me, to the backs. A second row/number 8 playing wing is embarrassing enough (i can catch but not kick :p)
the opposition targeted me of course and 2 minutes before the end of the match they had an attack down the wing, their winger kicked it over my head, down the line, i turned and started running back but the idiot tripped me and stood looking at me as i lay on the ground. Obviously I quickly got up, keen to start a fight or at least make a big fuss out of it. I missed my swing as he ducked and i hit another player of their team coming to break up the fight.
The embarrassing stuff was all of their team joined,but none of my team. The reason was our fullback had caught the kick, made a great run, and our captain had scored meaning we would have won the match had i not done anything.

The ref then proceeded to grab my top and shout at me for 3 minutes, not letting go, before sending me to the bin for the last two minutes. Of course, we lost the match.

Shane_Williams_Ospreys1

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Sun 26 Jun 2011, 12:21 pm

Oh I've also done the classic forward knock on with no one round around me and just 10 metres to the line. Thankfully not an important match, and we were winning comfortably enough.

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by johnpartle Sun 26 Jun 2011, 2:10 pm

It was a scorching hot day at the beginning of the school season. I was a 15yo winger about 15m from my tryline on the side of the pitch that had all the supporting parents and kids from my school (we were the 1st XV, so more importantly there was a fair contingent of hot girls). The opposite FH puts a big ball up my way looking for touch. I catch it no problem, and with no one around me look to run it back. I push off from my right foot, set to speed away, but just as I go to place my right foot again my right calf seizes up with cramp and my leg collapses beneath me, crashing me unceremoniously to the floor, the ball dribbling slow motion into touch. The only saving grace was that they stuffed their lineout up and we safely cleared our lines.

johnpartle

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 26 Jun 2011, 2:17 pm

Refereeing a match on a badly marked pitch I once awarded a try when the attacking team was still 5m away from the try line.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 26 Jun 2011, 2:20 pm

Also in a final I gave a red card to the wrong player Shocked To be fair I don't feel embarrassed by this. My assistant ref flagged a pretty serious incident but got the players mixed up and told me #2 Red instead of #12 Red. Both had the number 2 on their shirt and both were wearing grey scrumcaps.

Needless to say I had words with my touch judge after the match Smile
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 26 Jun 2011, 2:47 pm

red_stag wrote:Refereeing a match on a badly marked pitch I once awarded a try when the attacking team was still 5m away from the try line.

I've dived five metres short before when I played junior rugby across the pitch. In my defence I couldn't see how a set of barriers could really be a deadball line.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down