The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Delpo will beat Nadal

+25
yloponom68
icecold
Tom_____
djlovesyou
Josiah Maiestas
lydian
michael_o
Positively 4th Street
FedsFan
Mad for Chelsea
cats_r_cool
superochog
dummy_half
sportslover
Haddie-nuff
Eskay
luciusmann
Simple_Analyst
Guest82
strawberry70
Tenez
gallery play
legendkillar
newballs
wow
29 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Delpo  will beat Nadal - Page 3 Empty Delpo will beat Nadal

Post by wow Sun 26 Jun 2011, 9:33 pm

First topic message reminder :

Having beaten Nadal in a semi before and now fitter than before, I reckon that Delpo will come triumph in the last 16 encounter with Nadal.

Delpo has a respectable 3-5 h2h against him and with few matches under his belt, he is gaining back his old confidence which helped him in winning the 2010 US open by beating Nadal and Fed.

It will be good for the sport if Delpo wins tomorrow as it will open the race to no. 1 wide open.

Let's hope and pray for the best.

wow

Back to top Go down

Delpo  will beat Nadal - Page 3 Empty Re: Delpo will beat Nadal

Post by Simple_Analyst Tue 28 Jun 2011, 9:59 am

I read yesterday that Del Potro was still complaining about the time violation Nadal was given during his medical timeout but in between i'm sure he also complained about when the MTO was taken but as Del Potro found out, it's in the disgression of the umpire to allow it. Doesn't make sense for Nadal to fake injury after hitting a great shot to bring up a set point and not be bothered to fight for it. Not to forget, he was down 3-0 when the tie break started so unless it was a masterplan by Nadal to get Del Potro to 3-0 up before reaping the benefit of the unfair MTO, I have no idea what else was the plan.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 28 Jun 2011, 10:45 am

Schrodinger's Cat wrote:If Nadal can't play the quarter final, is it going to be regarded that he is still undefeated at Wimbledon since 2007?

I already disagree with the statement that because he wasn't able to defend the title in 2009, he remained undefeated as injury is part of the game and players have to compete with it as well as other players. If he had been forced to retire during the first round he would have gone down as defeated.

Don't get me wrong, to win Wimbledon twice in three years as he did is a great achievement whether you can't play in between the victories or lose if you do, but I disagree with the perception that is given of being him undefeated. When people look back at the record books, the winner's name will be all they see, not who was or wasn't absent.

Haven't you heard? According to his fans he's not actually lost anywhere for about 4 years.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by superochog Tue 28 Jun 2011, 11:21 am

Is it just me who gets the feeling that Boris Baker doesn't really like Nadal? He very rarely picks Rafa to win any majors - that is fine but i see him get little excited when the opponents gets better of rafa. If it is just me - then sorry Rolling Eyes

superochog

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 28 Jun 2011, 11:23 am

superochog wrote:Is it just me who gets the feeling that Boris Baker doesn't really like Nadal? He very rarely picks Rafa to win any majors - that is fine but i see him get little excited when the opponents gets better of rafa. If it is just me - then sorry Rolling Eyes

Probably he is a friend of Tenez Delpo  will beat Nadal - Page 3 3497602689

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by cats_r_cool Tue 28 Jun 2011, 11:28 am

Didn't a 14 year old Rafa beat Boris? Think Boris himself mentioned it once. If I dreamt that then what Haddie said Laugh

cats_r_cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 28 Jun 2011, 11:32 am

No I dont fink so... he beat Pat Cash and Carlos Moya when he was 14 ... not so sure about Boris

Dont bliddy blame Me cats Delpo  will beat Nadal - Page 3 3497602689

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Tue 28 Jun 2011, 11:33 am

No that was Pat Cash. Who cares whether Becker likes Nadal or not? Becker doesn't speak much highly of him but he is not a bad commentator so that is a positive.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by Positively 4th Street Tue 28 Jun 2011, 11:34 am

I was unsure about how Becker viewed Nadal but this is a direct quote from the big man taken from BBC Sport:

"Nadal is a worthy Wimbledon champion and a worthy world number one. In all my years in tennis I have rarely seen player of his calibre. I really admire him."

Can't understand the fuss on here re the injury, Nadal clearly felt pain when he hit the forehand down the line and also had momentum at that point. I thought it had been a fine first set up until then.

Also, how is it that these allegedly feigned injuries and subsequent medical time-outs favour Nadal? If, as claimed by some renowned anti-Nadal posters, the Spaniard is only at the top of the game due to his superior fitness how is it that he finds his timing and groove more quickly than his 'more naturally talented' opponent(s)? Could it be that the ten-time slam champion IS truly talented?

Positively 4th Street

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 28 Jun 2011, 11:36 am

Oh wow !!!!! wait for it...!!!! Delpo  will beat Nadal - Page 3 590675

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Schrodinger's Cat Tue 28 Jun 2011, 11:40 am

bogbrush wrote:
Schrodinger's Cat wrote:If Nadal can't play the quarter final, is it going to be regarded that he is still undefeated at Wimbledon since 2007?

I already disagree with the statement that because he wasn't able to defend the title in 2009, he remained undefeated as injury is part of the game and players have to compete with it as well as other players. If he had been forced to retire during the first round he would have gone down as defeated.

Don't get me wrong, to win Wimbledon twice in three years as he did is a great achievement whether you can't play in between the victories or lose if you do, but I disagree with the perception that is given of being him undefeated. When people look back at the record books, the winner's name will be all they see, not who was or wasn't absent.

Haven't you heard? According to his fans he's not actually lost anywhere for about 4 years.

I was actually referring to the repeated mention of this on the BBC. I am not talking about his fans versus his critics, only the question of whether injury should be included or excluded from undefeated runs. The fact that it is Nadal is incidental to the argument. Since only he and Federer have have sustained success at slams in recent years the choice of player was limited, especially as Nadal seems to have had more injuries than Federer.

Schrodinger's Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 28 Jun 2011, 3:41 pm

Schrodinger's

It's a bit of a difficult one - I guess the point of the BBC highlighting the fact is that it shows how very difficult to beat Rafa has been at Wimbledon over the last several years (as I mentioned in another thread, he is now at a record of 30 wins to 2 losses since 2006, with both losses being in finals to Federer, and is unbeaten for his last 18 matches).

As a general thing, I don't think absence from a tournament because of injury is considered as interupting a streak of wins (after all, Djokovic withdrew from at least one tournament during his streak at the start of the season), but I also think that winning consecutive (Wimbledon)tournaments carries a greater kudos than a long period unbeaten if you were only playing every other year.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Tue 28 Jun 2011, 6:18 pm

Nadal's injury scare is over. He has declared that he is fit to play against Mardy Fish. This is going to be a tight encounter.

MIghty Fish can beat Nadal Smile

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Tue 28 Jun 2011, 7:19 pm

wow wrote:Nadal's injury scare is over. He has declared that he is fit to play against Mardy Fish. This is going to be a tight encounter.

You have to get it right at some stage wow, but like your last prediction I think this one will go the same way Laugh

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 28 Jun 2011, 7:23 pm

Fish to be left floundering and all at sea I'm afraid.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom_____ Tue 28 Jun 2011, 7:26 pm

dummy_half wrote:Schrodinger's

It's a bit of a difficult one - I guess the point of the BBC highlighting the fact is that it shows how very difficult to beat Rafa has been at Wimbledon over the last several years (as I mentioned in another thread, he is now at a record of 30 wins to 2 losses since 2006, with both losses being in finals to Federer, and is unbeaten for his last 18 matches).

As a general thing, I don't think absence from a tournament because of injury is considered as interupting a streak of wins (after all, Djokovic withdrew from at least one tournament during his streak at the start of the season), but I also think that winning consecutive (Wimbledon)tournaments carries a greater kudos than a long period unbeaten if you were only playing every other year.

Correct above - I remember Agassi having a big streak at the AO in the early 2000s, but one year in the middle he didn't play at all.

Tom_____

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Jun 2011, 7:31 pm

We all know Fish is anenome of Nadal, but will that leave Rafa angling for a plaice in the semi's ?

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Tue 28 Jun 2011, 7:41 pm

Jubbahey wrote:We all know Fish is anenome of Nadal, but will that leave Rafa angling for a plaice in the semi's ?

Laugh Here we go - Rafa will batter Fish and have a whale of a time doing it Doh

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Tue 28 Jun 2011, 8:11 pm

sportslover wrote:
wow wrote:Nadal's injury scare is over. He has declared that he is fit to play against Mardy Fish. This is going to be a tight encounter.

You have to get it right at some stage wow, but like your last prediction I think this one will go the same way Laugh
I know SL. Delpo prediction was more in hope but fish is just wishful thinking.
But.., I am very sure that Murray will definitely beat Nadal Very Happy

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Tue 28 Jun 2011, 8:15 pm

wow wrote:
sportslover wrote:

I know SL. Delpo prediction was more in hope but fish is just wishful thinking.
But.., I am very sure that Murray will definitely beat Nadal Very Happy

What worries me with your predictions is you keep saying Andy will win wimbe, lets hope you get that one right as well.

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 28 Jun 2011, 11:40 pm

wow wrote:Nadal's injury scare is over. He has declared that he is fit to play against Mardy Fish.

Cool! I was afraid he was injured, for a while.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 28 Jun 2011, 11:42 pm

Tom_____ wrote:Correct above - I remember Agassi having a big streak at the AO in the early 2000s, but one year in the middle he didn't play at all.

Yep. According to Rios, he had tested positive for Nandrolone and flew back to the US the following day he arrived in Australia....or something like that.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Schrodinger's Cat Wed 29 Jun 2011, 9:07 am

dummy_half wrote:Schrodinger's

In that case is is correct to regard Djokovic's streak as an unbeaten streak? Basically you can keep a streak going by withdrawing before a tournament, but if you have to retire injuring during a tournament, even if it is a pre-existing injury you lose your streak. That doesn't seem right to me.

By the BBC's reasoning, I am unbeaten at Wimbledon for longer than any professional player in history! laughing

Schrodinger's Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 29 Jun 2011, 9:25 am

Jubbahey wrote:We all know Fish is anenome of Nadal, but will that leave Rafa angling for a plaice in the semi's ?

Mods - surely that deserves a permanent ban Wink

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Wed 29 Jun 2011, 9:49 am

Cod only knows what will happen if we don't stop these puns. I would hake for this plaice to end up talking pollocks all the time.

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Wed 29 Jun 2011, 9:53 am

Enforcer wrote:Cod only knows what will happen if we don't stop these puns. I would hake for this plaice to end up talking pollocks all the time.

Nice one - how long did it take you to come up with it Laugh

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Wed 29 Jun 2011, 9:57 am

Laugh
What can I say? Too much time on my hands obviously!

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Wed 29 Jun 2011, 9:59 am

Just don't hake a halibut of it Wink

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by Gonzini Wed 29 Jun 2011, 10:14 am

I've haddock-nough of these puns...

Ok that one was really terrible!

Gonzini

Back to top Go down

Post by Schrodinger's Cat Wed 29 Jun 2011, 10:15 am

To quote Paul Merton: all these fish puns are giving me a haddock!

Schrodinger's Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3