The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where are they now? Class of 2008

+7
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
maestegmafia
Cumbrian
Notch
Portnoy
MBTGOG
robbo277
11 posters

Go down

Where are they now? Class of 2008 Empty Where are they now? Class of 2008

Post by robbo277 Sun 26 Jun 2011, 11:49 pm

After England's semi-final win against France, one poster asked if this would mean that England could be world number one in 4 years time. Obviously getting to the final was an acheivement for this team, but the disappointment was there for all to see after today's final loss to the Baby Blacks.

4 years ago, in the inaugural Junior World Championship, New Zealand Under 20s beat England Under 20s 38-3 in the Liberty Stadium. I thought it would be interesting to see where those players are 4 years down the line, and maybe we can get some idea as to where today's group will be in 4 years time. So here is the 22 man squad from the final, and a little bit of information on where they are now. Some of the information on some of the players who haven't quite made it might be out of date, but to the best of my ability it is all correct.

1. Nathan Catt - at Bath Rugby, in the Saxons squad for the 2011 Churchill Cup
  2. Joe Gray - at Harlequins, won the Amlin Challenge Cup this season and was in the Saxons squad for the 2011 Churchill Cup
  3. Alex Corbisiero - at London Irish, won his first senior cap in the 2011 Six Nations. Currently has 4 caps for England.
  4. Ben Thomas - unless I am mistaken, I think Ben Thomas is at the Ospreys. I imagine if he goes on to full international level he'll represent Wales, although it seems at the moment that he might not make that level.
  5. Gregor Gillanders - currently playing for Bedford Blues in the Championship, it seems unlikely he'll go on and earn full international caps.
  6. Jon Fisher - at London Irish, has represented the Saxons and England 7s, however he only made 2 appearances this season (from the bench) and has only made 19 career appearances for Irish, and 16 of them were from the bench. Unlikely to progress.
  7. Calum Clark - captained England at the 2009 JWC, won Northampton's young player of the year this season, started the HC Final and made the 24-man pre-match squad for the Barbarians game this summer. Definitely on England's radar.
  8. Hugo Ellis (C) - moved to the Dragons last year, but has only made 9 appearances. Unlikely that he'll ever get a full England Cap in my opinion.
  9. Joe Simpson - starting regularly for London Wasps, played the BaaBaas and went to Australia last summer with the England squad and in the World Cup training squad. Should win a cap sooner than later, but has been overtaken by the man who sat on the bench during this final.
  10. Alex Goode - at Sarries and playing very well at 15. Possibly should have been in the World Cup training squad, but has represented the Saxons and should go on to get a full cap.
  11. Miles Benjamin - played down in the Championship with Worcester Warriors this year, but bounced back at the first time of asking. Prolific try-scorer and played in the recent Churchill Cup.
  12. Jordan Turner-Hall - has played for England in two non-capped Internationals against the Barbarians, and toured Argentina (and Manchester) in 2009, but hasn't got a full cap. Back to his best last season, and part of Quins' Amlin Cup winning team.
  13. Luke Eves - played for England in the Under 20s in 2009 as well and made 30 appearances in his debut season for Newcastle. Not on the England radar, but he's regularly playing Premiership rugby.
  14. Mark Odeboji - playing at Esher now and has moved to flanker. Represented England 7s, but I would say unlikely to now make the full England squad.
  15. Noah Cato - appeared on the winning team in this years Aviva Premiership final for Saracens, but will move to Northampton for the 2011/12 season. Represented England at Saxons level, but his career seems to have stalled a little bit in the last year or so, hopefully the move will do him some good.
  16. Scott Freer - playing for Leeds Carnegie, suffered a posterior cruciate ligament injury in the 2009/10 season which would have obviously held him back. He's back playing now, but has not been mentioned in relation to an England call-up.
  17. Billy Moss - at Bath, but according to the website hasn't played a first team game.
  18. Scott Hobson - also at Bath, but more successful than Billy Moss. Played regularly this season, and has captained England at Saxons level.
  19. Matthew Cox - just 10 appearances for Gloucester in his debut season, but has also represented England Sevens.
  20. Ben Youngs - England's first choice 9, made his debut in the 2010 Six Nations. Has 12 caps.
  21. Rob Miller - moved to Sale Sharks but not a first team regular.
  22. Seb Stegmann - another Quin, but not as prominent in the Quins first team as Gray or Turner-Hall.

So from that list we can see that only 2 have gone on to play for England in a full test match, while 2 more has played for England against the Barbarians. A number have managed to represent England at Saxons level or England 7s, but another number of them have not and will not win any higher honours. The main point being that the class of 2008 is only starting to drip through now, so the players who lost the final today might take 3-5 years to make it into the first team, if they do at all.

So, from today's losing finalists, if you had to pick 2 that will win full caps in the next three years, who would they be? If I had to stick my neck on the line I'd go for Kvesic (with Moody getting on) and Farrell (with Wilkinson likely to go into International exile after the World Cup). Alex Gray should be in the running for the 8 spot, but recently English 8s seem to have taken a long time to really make the breakthrough. Vunipola and Thomas could both make it, but we have some good young props in the England team at the moment. Wade also looks promising, but again we have some good young wings around. Ford and Daly look like a real talents too, although they're still relatively young and probably won't be ready for International rugby in just a few years.

Obviously we won't be limited to two, and if more step up then we could see more make the grade. But history would suggest that not that many will make it, certainly not in the near future anyway. In addition to the analysis above, just 2 players from the 2009 JWC final in Courtney Lawes and Ben Youngs have gone on to win England caps, while Lowe, Trinder, Sharples*, Clegg, Kitchener, Gaskell, Calum Clark and Fearns who are all on the verge of the England squad also played.

*Sharples being in the England training squad, although uncapped at the moment.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Where are they now? Class of 2008 Empty Re: Where are they now? Class of 2008

Post by MBTGOG Mon 27 Jun 2011, 1:51 am

Can't see Kvesic making it to be honest and certainly not if he stays with Worcester as they seem to have some black mark next to their name.

I would agree on Farrell. The other option I would say is a bit out there but Wade could.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Mon 27 Jun 2011, 2:15 am

Overall that seems to be a fair catch of elvers when yoy are hoping to get a few eels in the future.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 27 Jun 2011, 2:32 am

In terms of guys coming through to senior level, you've done alright from that team. A particularly good front row. And all but one of the backline getting regular top-level rugby. Not bad at all.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Mon 27 Jun 2011, 9:21 am

Personally I'd pick more than two players from the current squad.

If I had to pick just two who was going to make it, I'd also predict Kvesic. England don't have too many options in his position and he has been fantastic in this tournament (England's man of the tournament imo) and should get a good amount of game-time next season. Unfortunately for Wuss fans I can't see him staying there long term. I'm not trying to stir, but I can't help noting that Leicester are in need of a long term option at openside flanker.

The other player I would pick is Joe Launchbury. He has all of the attributed of the modern lock. He is strong in the set piece and his carrying game is good. He is also very athletic which has allowed him to make many tackles that many other locks would be able to make. Wasps have already started using him in the first team and he should also get plenty of game time this coming season.

1. Ben Moon
2. James Clarke
3. Bob Baker
4. Graham Kitchener
5. James Gaskell
6 Courtney Lawes
7. Calum Clarke
8. Carl Fearns

9. Ben Youngs
10. Rory Clegg

11. Charlie Sharples
12. Luke Eves
13. Henry Trinder
14. George Lowe
15. Tom Homer

Has a full England cap/ included in the extended England squad

Has saxons caps
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Mon 27 Jun 2011, 9:54 am

Starting to get a bit too recent to read too much into this. Although, I'm sure regular followers of the AP will recognise many of the names as they are getting game time.

2010 Squad:

Joe Marler (Harlequins)- Has been in an around the England squad.
Lee Imiolek (Sale Sharks)
Jamie George (Saracens)
Arthur Ellis (London Wasps)
Shaun Knight (Gloucester Rugby)
Mako Vunipola (Bristol Rugby)
Kieran Brookes (Newcastle Falcons)
Calum Green (Leicester Tigers)
Danny Wright (Gloucester Rugby)
James Gaskell (Sale Sharks)
Peter Elder (London Wasps)
Jamie Gibson (London Irish)
Joe Trayfoot (Harlequins)
Jacob Rowan (Leeds Carnegie)*
Will Welch (Newcastle Falcons)
Alex Gray (Newcastle Falcons)
Jackson Wray (Saracens)

Sam Harrison (Leicester Tigers)*
Jordi Pasqualin (Gloucester Rugby)*
Sam Stuart (Harlequins)- Really could have done with him in this squad.
Freddie Burns (Gloucester Rugby)*
Rory Clegg (Harlequins)
Jake Sharp (Saracens)
Tom Catterick (Newcastle Falcons)
Tom Casson (Saracens)*
Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby)
Sam Smith (Harlequins)
Christian Wade (London Wasps)
Marcus Watson (London Irish)
Will Hurrell (Leicester Tigers)**
Tom Homer (London Irish)**
Jack Wallace (London Wasps)
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon 27 Jun 2011, 10:13 am

I think if you're managing to find 3-4 international players in each crop, you're doing very well.

Remember there are also those players that develop later and aren't involved in these groups.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 27 Jun 2011, 11:35 am

MBTGOG wrote:I think if you're managing to find 3-4 international players in each crop, you're doing very well.

Remember there are also those players that develop later and aren't involved in these groups.

I agree with that exactly, to gain one or two full caps senior internationals out of age group rugby is a massive bonus let alone three or four.

It is also good to see so many still involved in the game, as many young mens lives can take different directions after injury.

By comparison Wales, who have seen the following full caps and Senior Squad members emerge.

Jamie Corsi (Toured Australia 2007, serious injury, now playing in NZ)
Bradley Davies (2008 - 22 Caps)
Tom James (2007 - 9 Caps)

Dan Biggar (2008 - 6 Caps)
Jonathan Davies (2010 - 12 Caps)
Leigh Halfpenny (2008 - 19 Caps - Lions Tourist)
Sam Warburton (2009 - 5 Caps)

Jason Tovey (Current World Cup Training Squad)
Scott Andrews (2011- 1 Cap)
Tavis Knoyle (2010 - 3 Caps)
Justin Tipuric ((Current World Cup Training Squad)
Rhys Ruddock (Ireland Cap 2010 - 1)

Scott Williams (2011 - 1 Cap)
Kristian Phillips (Wales Squad member 2010)
Tom Prydie (2010 - 4 Caps)
Simon Gardiner (Wales Squad member 2011_
Toby Faletau (2011 - 1 Cap)

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Mon 27 Jun 2011, 12:20 pm

Cumbrian wrote:Starting to get a bit too recent to read too much into this. Although, I'm sure regular followers of the AP will recognise many of the names as they are getting game time.

2010 Squad:

Joe Marler (Harlequins)- Has been in an around the England squad.
Lee Imiolek (Sale Sharks)
Jamie George (Saracens)
Arthur Ellis (London Wasps)
Shaun Knight (Gloucester Rugby)
Mako Vunipola (Bristol Rugby)
Kieran Brookes (Newcastle Falcons)
Calum Green (Leicester Tigers)
Danny Wright (Gloucester Rugby)
James Gaskell (Sale Sharks)
Peter Elder (London Wasps)
Jamie Gibson (London Irish)
Joe Trayfoot (Harlequins)
Jacob Rowan (Leeds Carnegie)*
Will Welch (Newcastle Falcons)
Alex Gray (Newcastle Falcons)
Jackson Wray (Saracens)

Sam Harrison (Leicester Tigers)*
Jordi Pasqualin (Gloucester Rugby)*
Sam Stuart (Harlequins)- Really could have done with him in this squad.
Freddie Burns (Gloucester Rugby)*
Rory Clegg (Harlequins)
Jake Sharp (Saracens)
Tom Catterick (Newcastle Falcons)
Tom Casson (Saracens)*
Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby)
Sam Smith (Harlequins)
Christian Wade (London Wasps)
Marcus Watson (London Irish)
Will Hurrell (Leicester Tigers)**
Tom Homer (London Irish)**
Jack Wallace (London Wasps)

Gaskell, Gibson and Clegg also have Saxons caps, maybe Freddie Burns too.

A few of the 2011 Under-20s might make the Saxons next year and it will be interested to see how they can push on from there. I wonder if the Saxons will have any matches in June, with the Churchill Cup being cancelled.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 27 Jun 2011, 12:36 pm

The NZ squad from 2008 is listed below (note, teams listed are as they stood at the time). Sam Whitelock and Zac Guildford have gone on to earn All Blacks caps. Another 8 or 9 are established SXV players.

New Zealand U20 Squad
(* Member of the 2007 New Zealand U19, ^ 2008 Rebel Sport Super 14 player)

*Ben Afeaki (North Harbour), - capped for NZ Maori in 2010, established at the Chiefs
*Rodney Ah You (Canterbury), - signed for Connacht
*Luke Braid (Bay of Plenty), - Starting for the Blues, battling Matt Todd for the "heir to McCaw" tag
*Ryan Crotty (Canterbury), - established at Canterbury, but behind SBW for the Crusaders
*Ash Dixon (Hawke's Bay),
*Paea Fa'anunu (Auckland),
^* Zac Guildford (Hawke's Bay), - Capped AB, starring in SXV this year. Outside tip for the RWC squad
Michael Harris (North Harbour),
Grayson Hart (Auckland),
Joe Hill (Wellington),
*Daniel Kirkpatrick (Wellington), -occasional starter for the 'Canes this year
Matthew Luamanu (Wellington),
*Quentin MacDonald (Tasman), - on the Crusaders bench 2011
^*Sean Maitland (Canterbury), - having a good, albeit injury-affected season with the Crusaders
^*Nasi Manu (Canterbury), - started every match at #8 for the Highlanders
^*Kade Poki (Tasman), - had a good season with the Highlanders
Hugh Reed (Hawke's Bay),
*Trent Renata (Waikato),
*Peter Saili (Auckland),
Aaron Smith (Manawatu),
*Chris Smith (North Harbour),
Toby Smith (Waikato),
Andre Taylor (Manawatu),
*Josh Townsend (Otago),
*Sam Whitelock (Canterbury), - Capped All Black, looks a certainty for the RWC squad
*Jackson Willison (Waikato)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 27 Jun 2011, 1:00 pm

Kiwireddevil wrote:The NZ squad from 2008 is listed below (note, teams listed are as they stood at the time). Sam Whitelock and Zac Guildford have gone on to earn All Blacks caps. Another 8 or 9 are established SXV players.

New Zealand U20 Squad
(* Member of the 2007 New Zealand U19, ^ 2008 Rebel Sport Super 14 player)

*Ben Afeaki (North Harbour), - capped for NZ Maori in 2010, established at the Chiefs
*Rodney Ah You (Canterbury), - signed for Connacht
*Luke Braid (Bay of Plenty), - Starting for the Blues, battling Matt Todd for the "heir to McCaw" tag
*Ryan Crotty (Canterbury), - established at Canterbury, but behind SBW for the Crusaders
*Ash Dixon (Hawke's Bay),
*Paea Fa'anunu (Auckland),
^* Zac Guildford (Hawke's Bay), - Capped AB, starring in SXV this year. Outside tip for the RWC squad
Michael Harris (North Harbour),
Grayson Hart (Auckland),
Joe Hill (Wellington),
*Daniel Kirkpatrick (Wellington), -occasional starter for the 'Canes this year
Matthew Luamanu (Wellington),
*Quentin MacDonald (Tasman), - on the Crusaders bench 2011
^*Sean Maitland (Canterbury), - having a good, albeit injury-affected season with the Crusaders
^*Nasi Manu (Canterbury), - started every match at #8 for the Highlanders
^*Kade Poki (Tasman), - had a good season with the Highlanders
Hugh Reed (Hawke's Bay),
*Trent Renata (Waikato),
*Peter Saili (Auckland),
Aaron Smith (Manawatu),
*Chris Smith (North Harbour),
Toby Smith (Waikato),
Andre Taylor (Manawatu),
*Josh Townsend (Otago),
*Sam Whitelock (Canterbury), - Capped All Black, looks a certainty for the RWC squad
*Jackson Willison (Waikato)

Interesting...

The competitive nature of the NPC occupies and improves young players unless they are exceptional until they are ready for higher level rugby.

similar to Wales but the quality is not so high.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Mon 27 Jun 2011, 1:05 pm

2008 was a good year for Wales apart from "maestegmafia" list:

Also capped are:

Dan Evans - Full back
Props - Ryan Bevington and Scott Andrews
Flanker - Josh Turnbull

Also: Jason Tovey and Justin Tuperic are in the current Welsh squad.

So thats 8 full caps, two squad players and one Lion!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 27 Jun 2011, 1:15 pm

Very interesting article, we're doing well if we can get two or three players from each age group seeing as there is a long list of other players that could well make it on top of these...

Great to see that the production line is working well for front row options, loads of good young props out there at the moment and lock and no8 are getting better too.

Seb Stegmann - another Quin, but not as prominent in the Quins first team as Gray or Turner-Hall.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seb's been out injured for most of the last two seasons, but now with Camancho leaving (boo!!) if he's fit he may well get more game time, he has looked deadly when's had a chance to play, and then there's also Sam Smith as well, another talent.

Am still waiting on George Lowe to get his chance with the Saxons, but if the CP is being cancelled what will happen next year???

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by G2 Mon 27 Jun 2011, 1:19 pm

I suppose the above just goes to show how difficult it is to kick on from U20 rugby to full international 2 -3 players would seem par.

Are England ahead of the game in terms of bringing players through the system?

We may get 5 or 6 from the 2009 team (Despite the SANZAR employment scheme)

G2

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon 27 Jun 2011, 1:39 pm

Very interesting topic, now I wonder whats happened to the New Zealand players from the same period! I guess it would be a good way of seeing how comparative countries are bringing through their younger talent.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 27 Jun 2011, 1:42 pm

AlynDavies wrote:Very interesting topic, now I wonder whats happened to the New Zealand players from the same period! I guess it would be a good way of seeing how comparative countries are bringing through their younger talent.

Alyn, read up-thread 6 posts Smile

Last edited by Kiwireddevil on Mon 27 Jun 2011, 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typos. Always with the typos.)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Mon 27 Jun 2011, 1:43 pm

yappysnap wrote:Very interesting article, we're doing well if we can get two or three players from each age group seeing as there is a long list of other players that could well make it on top of these...

Great to see that the production line is working well for front row options, loads of good young props out there at the moment and lock and no8 are getting better too.

Seb Stegmann - another Quin, but not as prominent in the Quins first team as Gray or Turner-Hall.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seb's been out injured for most of the last two seasons, but now with Camancho leaving (boo!!) if he's fit he may well get more game time, he has looked deadly when's had a chance to play, and then there's also Sam Smith as well, another talent.
Am still waiting on George Lowe to get his chance with the Saxons, but if the CP is being cancelled what will happen next year???

I saw him play for Quins against Bath United in the A league, scored a couple of tries. He looked a class apart from any back on the pitch, the Bath lads couldn't live with him at all. I really look forward to seeing what he can do on a bigger stage.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 27 Jun 2011, 1:45 pm

Seagultaf wrote:2008 was a good year for Wales apart from "maestegmafia" list:

Also capped are:

Dan Evans - Full back
Props - Ryan Bevington and Scott Andrews
Flanker - Josh Turnbull

Also: Jason Tovey and Justin Tuperic are in the current Welsh squad.

So thats 8 full caps, two squad players and one Lion!

https://www.606v2.com/t7992-welsh-post-jwc-review

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down