The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Middlesborough: Future is bleak?

+9
GeeMonkee
Fernando
sodhat
Crimey
JDandfries
Mat
AberdeenSteve
dyrewolfe
Soldier_Of_Fortune
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Middlesborough: Future is bleak? Empty Middlesborough: Future is bleak?

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 29 Jun 2011, 11:45 am

Middleborough, one time perennial premiere league team, but now facing a bleak future like the town its self.

Lets look at the squad.

1 GK Jason Steele
2 DF Justin Hoyte
3 DF Joe Bennett
4 DF Matthew Bates
5 MF Merouane Zemmama
6 DF Stephen McManus
7 FW Scott McDonald
8 MF Kevin Thomson
9 FW Kris Boyd
10 MF Nicky Bailey
11 FW Tarmo Kink
15 FW Leroy Lita
16 FW Lee Miller
17 MF Barry Robson
19 MF Andy Halliday
20 MF Julio Arca
21 GK Danny Coyne
22 FW Luke Williams
23 DF Jonathan Grounds
24 DF Seb Hines
25 MF Rhys Williams
26 DF Andrew Taylor
28 FW Jonathan Franks
29 DF Tony McMahon
32 FW Marvin Emnes
33 MF Richard Smallwood
34 DF Ben Gibson
35 MF Bruno Pilatos
38 MF Cameron Park
39 GK Connor Ripley
40 DF Paul Weldon
41 DF Adam Reach

Doesn’t exactly inspire you with confidence. An influx a overpaid Scottish players mixed with inexperience English players. Steve Gibson needs to pull his socks up and invest heavily in this particular squad or they will struggle again this season.

Should Mowbray be trusted? Will he be given money to spend? Is there money to spend? Can he attract good quality players? Will they want to live in Middleborough?

Lets hope so for your future.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Middlesborough: Future is bleak? Empty Re: Middlesborough: Future is bleak?

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 30 Jun 2011, 3:03 pm

What is it with Liverpool fans and their obsession with Boro?

Shouldn't you be more concerned with the vast sums King Kenny is spending on unproven players and whether your squad is strong enough to challenge for a top 4 place?

Since you obviously don't follow the Boro THAT closely, you may be interested to know Mowbray saved us from certain relegation last season and got us from 2nd bottom to 12th place in the Championship in less than 7 months...WITH that list of players you so meticulously listed.

We may not look good on paper, but team spirit and a work ethic can get you a long way in the Championship. We won our last 4 games in a row, which included Cardiff and Hull AWAY.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Thu 30 Jun 2011, 5:24 pm

The lad is attempting to wind up a Middlesborough fan that he doesn't feel should be allowed to comment on Liverpool threads.

I feel Mowbray has don't a brilliant job at Middlesborough and deserves a lot of credit. They'll be near the top next season without a doubt.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Thu 30 Jun 2011, 6:22 pm

I can see Boro being up there next season,and they will without doubt play some of the best football in the league. They went to Cardiff with that squad and were 3-0 up at one point,not too bad?

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 30 Jun 2011, 6:42 pm

MY tip to win the Championship are Boro. If Mowbray can get Boyd's head right then I can see him bagging 20+ goals next season.

It should also be noted that Middlesbrough have a track record of producing good young players so I doubt the future is that bleak myself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 01 Jul 2011, 9:52 am

dyrewolfe wrote:What is it with Liverpool fans and their obsession with Boro?

Haha why can you name more then one?

AberdeenSteve wrote:The lad is attempting to wind up a Middlesborough fan that he doesn't feel should be allowed to comment on Liverpool threads.

I feel Mowbray has don't a brilliant job at Middlesborough and deserves a lot of credit. They'll be near the top next season without a doubt.

Who? People can post what they want. Free speech and all.

We'll wait and see. Just with half of the Championship now spending big money on trying to get to the Prem, I can see Boro' falling behind.

Cardiff were already in the playoffs and Hull had nothin to play for if were goin to sit here and disect the games. Southampton have got a good track record in producing good youth players. Not exactly stood them in good stead so far.

Middlesborough will be no where near the playoffs next season.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Fri 01 Jul 2011, 11:07 am

@FreekShow: most Boro fans doubt Boyd will be playing for us next season. He is one player we're desperate to offload, due to his wages. He enjoyed his stint at Forest apparently and probably won't be keen on coming back.

@SOF:

Exactly. So, a Boro fan posting comments about Liverpool that you happen not to agree with, is no excuse for deliberate (not to mention pathetic and desperate) wummery on your part.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 01 Jul 2011, 11:37 am

dyrewolfe wrote:@FreekShow: most Boro fans doubt Boyd will be playing for us next season. He is one player we're desperate to offload, due to his wages. He enjoyed his stint at Forest apparently and probably won't be keen on coming back.

@SOF:

Exactly. So, a Boro fan posting comments about Liverpool that you happen not to agree with, is no excuse for deliberate (not to mention pathetic and desperate) wummery on your part.

Am voicing my opinion. Thats whats forums are all about. You dont like the truth, you know what to do. I dont see any arguement for a case the Boro arent going to struggle. And by the looks of things, they probably are. thumbsup

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Jul 2011, 12:49 pm

I'd suggest you bet against them even making the play offs on Betfair then soldier and make yourself a tidy little sum. They are currently trading at 3.0 which is very short for a team of no hopers. Easy money eh?

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 01 Jul 2011, 1:59 pm

This boy.girl has a chip on his soldier, because I derided teh vast sums of money Kenny has been thowing around for unproven players.

he knows I was right, but cant admitt it, he knows that Andy Carrol (£35 - honest laughing ) is dreadful business for anyone other than Newcastle - he knows that for less than that, they could have bought, Cesc Fabregas, Samir Nasri, Ashley Young, Or even Samir Nasri.

But due to the incredible blinker he and most LFC fans wear, he sees Kenny do no wrong, that is why, it is going to be great watching Liverpools over rated youngsters fail miserably, while Man U march further ahead of them as Englands most succesful team!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 01 Jul 2011, 2:19 pm

JDandfries wrote:This boy.girl has a chip on his soldier, because I derided teh vast sums of money Kenny has been thowing around for unproven players.

he knows I was right, but cant admitt it, he knows that Andy Carrol (£35 - honest laughing ) is dreadful business for anyone other than Newcastle - he knows that for less than that, they could have bought, Cesc Fabregas, Samir Nasri, Ashley Young, Or even Samir Nasri.

But due to the incredible blinker he and most LFC fans wear, he sees Kenny do no wrong, that is why, it is going to be great watching Liverpools over rated youngsters fail miserably, while Man U march further ahead of them as Englands most succesful team!

Wo JD, true colours come flying out like a Skittle rainbow!

On his Soldier.... Laugh Anyways

Dont think I've discussed the Andy Carrol transfer with you, you got a quote? I see it as a long term investment. Obviously cant be judge on 6 months, only time will tell.

Cesc Fabregas, Samir Nasri, Ashley Young, Or even Samir Nasri? Yer like they would come to Liverpool now. Got to be realistic, bit like Middlesborough chances of doing anything significant in the Championship this season.

King Kenny and Comoli are BOTH doing the transfers and I have complete faith. Suarez seems like a sound bit of business, Carrol has got years to prove his worth as has Henderson.

So with Wilson, Henderson, Kelly, Shelvey, Flanagan, Robinson, Suso, Carrol, Sterling, Wisdom. The future is definatley bright for Liverpool.

Shame same cant be said about Middleborough, the football club and the town.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 01 Jul 2011, 2:23 pm

FreekShow wrote:I'd suggest you bet against them even making the play offs on Betfair then soldier and make yourself a tidy little sum. They are currently trading at 3.0 which is very short for a team of no hopers. Easy money eh?

Might just do that. Nice one thumbsup

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Jul 2011, 2:28 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
FreekShow wrote:I'd suggest you bet against them even making the play offs on Betfair then soldier and make yourself a tidy little sum. They are currently trading at 3.0 which is very short for a team of no hopers. Easy money eh?

Might just do that. Nice one thumbsup

No problem. Middlesborough: Future is bleak? 3610695981

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 01 Jul 2011, 3:04 pm

Anyone know what a Skittle Rainbow is?

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 01 Jul 2011, 3:23 pm

JDandfries wrote:Anyone know what a Skittle Rainbow is?

Someone is lost for words. Resorting to petty joke. No quote on Carrol yet then?

Its a Raindow made of Skittles. It was all there in the sentance

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Mon 04 Jul 2011, 1:23 pm

It is my guess that he used his 'skittle rainbow' analogy and was laughed out of town by the Man U fans, pretty much as he has been here!!

Shouldnt be too harsh on him though, I understand Stewart Downing will be joing them today for £20m, and assume we will get at least 25% of that!!

So thanks!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 04 Jul 2011, 2:18 pm

JDandfries wrote:It is my guess that he used his 'skittle rainbow' analogy and was laughed out of town by the Man U fans, pretty much as he has been here!!

What are you on about? Get with it.

JDandfries wrote:Shouldnt be too harsh on him though, I understand Stewart Downing will be joing them today for £20m, and assume we will get at least 25% of that!!

So thanks!

Aston Villa pay £12 million for him and you think you have got a 25% sell on clause laughing

Dream on egghead. Its nice to be optimistic though thumbsup

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Mon 04 Jul 2011, 2:25 pm

Yes, £12m was way over the, but there will be a sell on clause no doubt, not that me or you could possibly know what that is, but there will be one!

I wonder if the King Kenny lemmings will be happy with downing?

Not if reaction to it in January (on another forum) is anything to go by..... but I expect the same old, In KK we trust will avail!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 04 Jul 2011, 2:36 pm

Highly doubt is there is a sell on clause, it would have been noted in the media already.

I would be happy with Downing. Gives balance, natural width, left footed and a provide ammunition for Carrol.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 04 Jul 2011, 2:39 pm

You two, make sure you keep it clean and on-topic! Wink I know how you two can get with each other. kiss

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 04 Jul 2011, 3:30 pm

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:You two, make sure you keep it clean and on-topic! Wink I know how you two can get with each other. kiss

Haha you know us too well

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon 04 Jul 2011, 3:33 pm

Good player, Downing, but one of those who I struggle to see raiding down the wings for CL side, and certainly not worth more than Ashley Young was.

A good crosser though, and it seems Liverpool are intent on buying English, and getting the ball into Carroll to tuck away. Nothing wrong with that style, direct and pacy.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 04 Jul 2011, 3:35 pm

it's what liverpool need to play to andy carroll strengths. i do think there are better wingers out there then downing though.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 12 Jul 2011, 6:53 pm

And now scratch Boyd off that list, there main striker, its not looking good.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 12 Jul 2011, 6:59 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:And now scratch Boyd off that list, there main striker, its not looking good.

*their

Also, he's hardly their main striker considering he was loaned out to Nottingham Forest last year.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 12 Jul 2011, 7:08 pm

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:
Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:And now scratch Boyd off that list, there main striker, its not looking good.

*their

Also, he's hardly their main striker considering he was loaned out to Nottingham Forest last year.

Cos they couldnt afford to pay his wages!

PS am on a forum, not bothered about my grammer so dont correct me. And if you were that bothered, you also missed my (') in its because its for it is.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 12 Jul 2011, 7:32 pm

*their

PS am on a forum, not bothered about my grammer so dont correct me. And if you were that bothered, you also missed my (') in its because its for it is.

And because he was useless in the English league.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:41 pm

If Boyd had turned out to be a 20 goal a season striker for us, then I'm sure the chairman would've found a way to pay his wages.

However, he turned out to be pretty useless under 2 different managers, with very different playing styles, hence he ended up not getting many games.

Loaning him out with a view to a permanent move was the obvious thing to do. Also, I'm not entirely sure about this but I think Boro were still paying at least part of his wages while he was at Forest, as they're not exactly flush either.

Good news is that Boyd has secured a move to Turkey - can't remember how to spell the club's name. Its Eski-somethingorother-spor. That alone will free up enough money to sign 2 or 3 players on normal Championship wages.

Bad news is Swansea are still after Emnes. Really DO NOT want to lose him, but couldn't blame him if he wanted to go back.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by GeeMonkee Fri 22 Jul 2011, 11:39 am

*their

And because he was useless in the English league.

Bit of an exaggeration there. Useless at 'Boro you'd get away with. 6 goals in 10 games at Forest.

GeeMonkee

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 22 Jul 2011, 12:57 pm

Fair enough then, I didn't know that.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 22 Jul 2011, 9:45 pm

At least 2 were penalties.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 27 Jul 2011, 11:12 am

Now scratch Lita and Emnes!!!

Bloody hell! Middlesborough will be a good bet for relegation this season

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Wed 27 Jul 2011, 1:23 pm

Would you like to have a bet? Or are you just talking garbage as usual?

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 27 Jul 2011, 5:24 pm

Depends what the bet is?

You've got to be honest though JD, its not looking good though is it?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Thu 28 Jul 2011, 9:32 am

A nice highlights package of Boro's best moments.... don't worry it's not very long.... Laugh

Boro Compilation

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Jul 2011, 10:36 am

im not sure boro will challenge for the title but they might sneak into the play offs

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 28 Jul 2011, 6:36 pm

I'll be interested to see how the Boro do this season, I was a major critic of Strachan and was positive he wouldn't do well, Mogga for me still has issues to deal with regarding McDonald and McManus, both only left Celtic because of him and I doubt either deep down are happy with it

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:19 pm

Going to have to look into the odds but I dont think you could match the bookies JD.

Probs get around 50's. Round the same of King Kenny getting the boot thumbsup

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:28 pm

boro are 25/1 to be relegated and 5/1 to go up

kenny is 8/11 to last his contract at liverpool

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 16 Aug 2011, 9:53 pm

So far so good for Boro.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 16 Aug 2011, 9:56 pm

It's the way Mowbray plays his football finally paying off, basically because of Emnes.

All good so far.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 16 Aug 2011, 10:34 pm

A team unbeaten in their last 15 competitive games? I wouldn't call that bleak.

If they can continue to play some good football under Mowbray then they should challenge for the playoffs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 17 Aug 2011, 9:19 am

Funny how these comments waited until 3 games into the season.

Its a marathon not a sprint. Emnes gets injured there f**ked

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Wed 17 Aug 2011, 9:46 am

Your football knowledge clearly is letting you down! Making you look a little bit stupid!

If Emnes get injured, McDonald or someone else will score the goals, it the way Mowbray gets us playing that mean we create alot of chances, and there will always be someone on the end of them!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 17 Aug 2011, 9:48 am

Gutted I didn't pick Emnes for my fantasy football team now...

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Wed 17 Aug 2011, 9:49 am

All of those of us who are 'in the know' did!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 17 Aug 2011, 9:50 am

But SOF, by the start of the season they'd already been unbeaten in their last 11. Suppose this threads an example of how easily people can write other teams off due to a few departures. They've still got some good players there, and Arca joining will no doubt benefit them, and a fantastic Championship manager who encourages good football.

If the rumours they're in the market for Jordan Rhodes then I'd back him to score quite a few as well this season.

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 17 Aug 2011, 9:51 am

I went for Chopra and Fryatt, and they've scored three between them...but when I can I'm going to bang Emnes straight in (cue him scoring no more goals all season)!

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Wed 17 Aug 2011, 10:02 am

Churchill - I was hoping we would get Ismail Miller from WBA, but Stevie Mac, nicked him from under our noses.

We only have 4 strikers, so need another one, and Mogga says we are chasing a few.

as for SOF, he is just a bit clueless!

I am a boro fan, dont think we will get promoted, but think probs top 8, maybe even playoffs - Mowbray gets us playing decent football, so we will win more than we lose, but with a small squad injuries will play a part

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 17 Aug 2011, 10:05 am

JD, you've received some money from transfers though haven't you; any chance you'll see any of that put into strengthening the squad? Always liked Mowbray, but he never seemed up to much in the Premier League. Get a few new faces to cover injuries and playoffs is definitely within your reach.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next