The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 for 2 Wimbledon offer

Go down

3 for 2 Wimbledon offer Empty 3 for 2 Wimbledon offer

Post by newballs Wed 29 Jun 2011, 5:28 pm

Did anyone else have a Centre Court ticket like me and take advantage of the three matches for the price of two?

Alternatively any disgruntled Court 1 ticket holders who feel hard done by?

Anyway for those not lucky enough to enjoy the extra tennis on offer on Wimbledon's greenhouse grass court here's a quick (if somewhat tardy) summary.

Lisicki started well against Bartoli despite almost jumping out of her skin when the thunder started. Torrential rain and whatever else nature had to offer was hammering down on the roof but her serve held up well and she ultimately had to much for an obviously tired Bartoli. An entertaining match which Bartoli did well to extend to three sets.

Next up Sharapova vs. Cibulkova and a match just as one sided as the score suggests. I'm no Sharapova fan but she played great tennis and her serve was hardly ever threatened by her outgunned opponent. Interestingly my wife and I started discussing the possibility of Azarenka's match being switched shortly after watching Sharapova's stroll to the semis.

It became pretty obvious once Kvitova's match went to three sets that weather conditions were going to dictate a change of court. Once that match had finished (I caught the end on the big screen outside Court 1) and the rain came again the inevitable "play is suspended for the day except on Centre court" announcement came. I then followed a less than happy crowd who swarmed round the entrance of Centre Court in senses reminiscent of the storming of the Bastille. Their ringleader then demanded that Court 1 ticket holders should be given the opportunity to watch the match with the Wimbledon official sticking to the line that you can only watch the matches on your show court ticket i.e. there is no guarantee for any court of any particular match.

Azarenka then resumed her match 1-0 down to the joy of the lucky Centre Court ticket holders. Pity it was about half full then (many had left after Sharapova's match) and maybe only a third full by the end. Shame as this match was almost as good as the Lisicki/Bartoli match regardless of the final two set seemingly easy win for Vicky.

It does beg the question though on days where the forecast is mixed as to how valuable a Court 1 ticket actually is. The official line now appears to be that Court 1 ticket holders were allowed on Centre Court. Personally I didn't see a great influx of people and I wonder if many of them basically gave up and went home.
Either way the roof is a mixed blessing. An unprecedented decision to move the match simply because of the weather perhaps but an important precendent all the same and the officials need to ensure they communicate such decisions better next time round.

Also for what it's worth Sharapova played well, Lisicki looked pretty good in patches but Azarenka in many ways was the most impressive of the three winners I saw. Her movement was excellent - no doubt benefiting from the move indoors.

newballs

Back to top Go down