The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England player ratings

5 posters

Go down

England player ratings Empty England player ratings

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 14 Feb 2011, 10:58 am

Well that went pretty well didn't it? Terrific performance from England! Anyway, I thought I might as well start a thread rating the players from Saturday afternoon, so here goes. For info, I'm using this barometer of performance
0 = side would have been better off with 14 men.
1 = a cardboard cut out would do a better job.
2 = dismal
3 = very poor
4 = poor
5 = average
6 = good
7 = very good
8 = excellent
9 = outstanding
10 = WOW!

Corbisiero - 7: very promising debut. Held up just fine in the scrum and carried well. Also lifted very well at line-out time, which contributed to the total collapse of the Italian set piece.

Hartley - 7: another very good match from the England hooker. Hit his jumpers at line-out time, some powerful carries, and involved in Cueto's try.

Cole - 8: part of a very solid English scrum, and really put himself about around the field with his carrying. Also forced a turnover penalty in the first half.

Palmer - 8: has become indispensable to this England team. Good work in the loose and destroyed the Italian line-out.

Deacon - 7: will never be as visible as his second row teammate, but does his job quietly and efficiently. Part of an excellent England tight five.

Wood - 7: continues to impress, even if slightly less stellar performance than last week. Very good line-out option, worked tirelessly.

Haskell - 8.5: Probably his best performance for England. Some terrific surging runs, including a try, worked hard at the breakdown (the penalty he gave away which led to the Italian try was harsh IMO). Loses half a mark for that awful kick.

Easter - 8: solid, reliable as usual, and a moment of inspiration in offloading for Tindall's try.

Youngs - 9: after a slightly subdued performance last week, he was back to his very best here. The pack gave him quality ball to work with and he controlled the tempo beautifully. Set up Flood's break for the first try.

Flood - 9: now undoubtedly England's first choice ten. Orchestrated play superbly. Heavily involved in England's first (made the break) and third (inside ball to Cueto) tries. Also immaculate from the kicking tee.

Cueto - 7: couple of poor early kicks, but at last got on the score-sheet. Solid and dependable as ever.

Hape - 7: arguably his best game for England. Carried well, defended well, offloaded nicely to set up Ashton's second and Haskell's try.

Tindall - 7: As with Cueto finally broke his scoring drought. Part of a very good England defensive display and did fine when called upon with ball in hand.

Ashton - 10: why not? The guy scored FOUR tries, and his instinctive support play seems to be rubbing off on the rest of the team; Very rarely have I seen so many breaks so well supported. A predator.

Foden - 6: ran the ball back well, but not as heavily involved as he'd have liked. Should maybe try to hit the line more.

Replacements:

Thompson - 7: some powerful runs, kept up the good work in the line-out.

Wilson - 5: did OK, but must be worried about his spot in the XXII once Sheridan returns.

Shaw - 5: kept popping up on the wing for some reason, and gave away a few penalties.

Fourie - 5: did OK, but I thought he looked better in the AI. May drop out of the squad when the injured return.

Care - 6: bit of a mixed bag I thought. Looked sharp and scored a try, but sometimes too slow to get to the breakdown.

Wilkinson - 8: what a luxury it is to have a player of his quality on the bench! Kept the backline moving fine, stood flat, kicked his goals and made a try saving tackle too.

Banahan - 8: a fine display, though I may be crucified for saying this. Set up Ashton's hattrick and showed a lovely turn of speed to burst through the defense for the last try.

Manager: Johnson - 9: it's all coming together nicely for him and England, he picked Corbisiero which was the right decision, and his early substitutions allowed us to get a look at the bench without disrupting England's rhythm.

What do you all think?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

England player ratings Empty Re: England player ratings

Post by Stevion Mon 14 Feb 2011, 1:11 pm

this is about right... the changes I would make are to lower tindalls... especially given fodens score (6). Foden did nothing wrong, and had to stay back to cover his attacking try scoring wings... did exactly the right thing...

Hape did have his best game to date, but is he really the best we have... thought Cole was immense

Great game to watch, and really... really... looking forward to the french game!!!

Stevion

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 14 Feb 2011, 2:34 pm

Using your ratings I would lower most players by 1 mark - foden excluded who I felt was good and certainly does not deserve to be downgraded to average. I am torn over Hape and tindall - would like to drop them to 5 each except they are fulfilling their role in the team.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSnowmonkey Mon 14 Feb 2011, 11:45 pm

Most of your ratings I would agree with . Just a note on Fourie, I said on the other place that I felt he could have blown his England chances, wasn't surprised he was picked or on the sub bench...it would have been very harsh and wrong to drop Wood and Haskell and I think wrong. Agree his performance was not as strong as ALS, I would say he is not an impact sub not that I am using that as an excuse. He did not show his usual skills. I would though agree he might have played himself out and with Croft and Moody due to return it could be hard for him to gain a place. Shame as I felt he would be good for England, but acknowledge you have to take your chances.
TheSnowmonkey
TheSnowmonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 15 Feb 2011, 6:23 am

For England, i thought that Palmer again had an excellent match. I have never been convinced that Hape will make a good player for England.
Other than that i pretty much agree with the ratings. I thought that England played very well and never allowed Italy to get any rythem once they got into gear. It will be a different story for England against France but i still think that England will beat the French.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down