The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Well done to Djokovic, poor Nadal

+9
yummymummy
sportslover
lydian
Tenez
wow
Josiah Maiestas
luciusmann
socal1976
Simple_Analyst
13 posters

Go down

Well done to Djokovic, poor Nadal Empty Well done to Djokovic, poor Nadal

Post by Simple_Analyst Sun 03 Jul 2011, 5:00 pm

Congratulations to Djokovic who got a well deserved Wimbledon title. He has confirmed his status as the undisputed World No.1.

Nadal will be disappointed with a very poor performance today. He only started playing the match from the 3rd set and was playing catch up all match. Played poorly on the big points at crucial times. Today just shows he is 2nd favourite at slams now and having lost 5 times straight times, this could get worse unless he plays better.
Congratulations to Djokovic who got a well deserved Wimbledon title. He has confirmed his status as the undisputed World No.1.

Nadal will be disappointed with a very poor performance today. He only started playing the match from the 3rd set and was playing catch up all match. Played poorly on the big points at crucial times. Today just shows he is 2nd favourite at slams now and having lost 5 times straight times, this could get worse unless he plays better.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Well done to Djokovic, poor Nadal Empty Re: Well done to Djokovic, poor Nadal

Post by socal1976 Sun 03 Jul 2011, 5:04 pm

Well simple Analyst good on you to come in and give credit to the guy who wasn't your favorite in this final. Rafa needs a new gameplan against Novak. Novak is not someone that Rafa can out grind or out hit from the back of the court.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Sun 03 Jul 2011, 5:08 pm

I don't think a game plan is necessary, Nadal just played poorly the 1st 2 sets. His serve is not better than Djokovic's so he was only going to struggle from then.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Sun 03 Jul 2011, 5:08 pm

Like I said before, if Nadal lost (like he has) it was because Djokovic didn't let Nadal to play as he wanted and wasn't let back in. Maybe many Nadal fans will stop speaking non sense about the best of 5 sets, grand slams occasion and it being grass as excuses for why Djokovic couldn't beat Nadal. I said Nadal wouldn't have the answers if he got into rallies with Djokovic and so it proved. Those 4 earlier losses all in finals don't lie.

Despite Nadal losing, what a gracious guy, I felt bad for his family, but he'll be back and hopefully he'll work on getting his mental edge back over Djokovic. Nadal doesn't have long, the USO isn't that long away. Anyone think Nadal would beat Djokovic there....?

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 03 Jul 2011, 5:10 pm

Just completely dominated by the better man..

Without injury problems, Novak will definitely get his hands on the USO...
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 03 Jul 2011, 5:16 pm

I can't see Nadal on current form repeating at the USO. I think there are players in the draw that can trouble him more at the USO. Del Po, Sod, Berdy, murray, and Fed all could get the better of him on their day on that surface.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sun 03 Jul 2011, 5:16 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Just completely dominated by the better man..

Without injury problems, Novak will definitely get his hands on the USO...

I will throw in Andy, Delpo and Fed also in the mix. Don't forget that fed can still get one over Nole. It is Nadal who is struggling against him.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Sun 03 Jul 2011, 5:18 pm

I agree with most of your analysis SA, do you think it's the mental edge that Djokovic has built up over Nadal which caused Nadal the convincing loss?

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Sun 03 Jul 2011, 5:20 pm

I agree Djokovic will win the USO. Can't see anyone beating him there.
Anyway, I thought at the start of the match it was strange for Nadal to chose to receive after winning the toss. He should have served first and make Djokovic play catch up.
The only good news for Nadal is, the slam head to head is still 5-1 and 16-12 overall. I'd expect Djokovic to close it further but the head to head is important. Before we could know this time next year Djokovic could be on 6 slams and in the GOAT debate if he is not in already which I believe he is.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 03 Jul 2011, 5:24 pm

it's 16-13 now...
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun 03 Jul 2011, 6:29 pm

Do you really think Nadal played well the 3rd set? It was Djoko's obvious deop of form or concentration that allowed Nadal to believe.

Nadal's shot making limitation is exposed when someone can stay with him physically.

There is nothing mental in those matches. You are just seeing what I have been saying for years. It's all about staying in the rallies.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Sun 03 Jul 2011, 6:33 pm

I agree Tenez about the third set, Nadal won it because Djokovic took his eye of the ball, not because Nadal improved dramatically.

As for the mental aspect, I don't think we'll agree, those 4 losses across hardcourt and clay mean something, certainly for Djokovic (if not Nadal) and now it encompasses grass and is 5 losses.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 03 Jul 2011, 6:42 pm

I have to agree with Tenez, Novak basically got the deer in the headlights look and started to think about lifting the big gold trophy. He played attrociously in the third set. Novak showed great mental strength by coming right back and closing it in 4 after playing a terrible third set where he was just spraying his forehand.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Sun 03 Jul 2011, 6:57 pm

But then you can say Djokovic played well the 1st 2 sets because Nadal played really poorly which was the case.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun 03 Jul 2011, 7:05 pm

Simple_Analyst wrote:But then you can say Djokovic played well the 1st 2 sets because Nadal played really poorly which was the case.
Nah! Nadal didn't play poorly. Nadal plays always like that but only Djoko can physically stay with him the whole match. Nadal sent him right and left and Djoko brought every ball back turning defense into attack and says to Nadal "is that all you have got?". Then Nadal is forced to go for too much or has to keep rallying with Djoko. Problem is Djoko's game is more efficient while Nadal has to put 120% in all his shots to stay in the rally.

We are seeing exactly what we saw between Federer and Hewitt in 2003. Hewitt had relative poor shots, a great fighter but certainly not of the same class as Federer. The day Federer was able to rally with Hewitt, Hewitt never won another match (bar that Halle match where Federer injured himself).

Now Nadal will never win another match versus a fit Djoko. Nadal knows that!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Sun 03 Jul 2011, 7:17 pm

I think it's a slightly misleading phrasing to say he 'played poorly', he was made to play poorly by Djokovic, which is what I thought would happen in the rallies and the fact Djokovic is such an excellent returner meant that he was able to apply more pressure on Nadal, how was Nadal going to get the better of Djokovic in this situation?

Even the crowd were stunned that Nadal wasn't winning the rallies for a change (as was I), and the errors that I saw in the latter half of the first set from Nadal made me wonder how Nadal would win and it didn't surprise me when the first break point came up (what surprised me was Djokovic took it first time). Nadal continued has he had played thus far (not badly by any means) while Djokovic got better and better, just like in the match with Tsonga where you got to the stage that Djokovic won 5 games in a row and Nadal became clueless.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Sun 03 Jul 2011, 7:23 pm

Lol seems you getting confused there. Djokovic played great tennis those 2 sets but Nadal was just playing poorly. Took him until 3rd set to realise he had to raise his level which he did. Nadal was making alot of errors and Djokovic almost none. Djokovic has a better serve which was the difference. What has Federer and Hewitt's name doing here? We are talking about a strong era for tennis today, not a weak era of Federer and Hewitt days.
I wouldn't care if Nadal never beats Djokovic again, 16 times . At least it's not like Federer still struggling to even get double figures win against Nadal lol.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 03 Jul 2011, 7:27 pm

Well played Nole, disappointing performance by Nadal really but I'm sure he'll have the motivation to improve his game to face this new challenge. I do think Nole has elevated the game to new heights now and can see him dominating most slams for the next 4-5 years...if that is the case we could have a future great on our hands.

Good stuff Nole OK
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun 03 Jul 2011, 7:27 pm

And Nadal can really thanks Federer for taking Djoko out of the FO cause Djoko woudl have won that one in 3 or 4 max as well.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Sun 03 Jul 2011, 7:32 pm

I agree there Tenez, you think Nadal would have beaten Djokovic @ RG now SA? It's possible but I highly doubt it. If Djokovic ends up winning the USO, Nadal can be thankful to Fed for stopping Djokovic from winning the grand slam of tennis this year.

Fed may not be as good against Nadal as he needs to become undisputed GOAT but it no longer looks like Nadal will have a winning head to head against all top players any longer (@ least not Djokovic). I think it goes to show how fluid the GOAT debate can be.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Sun 03 Jul 2011, 7:36 pm

Would have won not good enough, speculation. I saw Nadal holding the FO trophy. Two bad for Federer then, I guess if you put Roddick in the finals, he would have beaten him. Sorry no more weak era.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 03 Jul 2011, 7:41 pm

This is the nature of the game, most players get 3-4 years of absolute peak to make their mark, Fed 2003-2007, Nadal 2008-2010/11 (he's still peak'ish) and Djokovic may now well be 2011-2014...its the way the game goes.
One great player comes in, raises the level, others then come along to surplant that. Its whats happened all the time across the open era. In tennis, like most things in life, every dog has its day. It gets harder and harder for players to have long 'peak windows' as the tour gets more and more competitive.
Nole is now taking the game to new heights, the question is who can challenge him? We think Nadal cant but who knows - it will surely motivate him afresh now - although that doesnt guarantee he can beat Nole in slams again. I dont think Murray is a serious challenger to Nole (he's kind of a 'Nole-lite'). Delpo maybe but for me doesnt have the movement. Others? We may be needing to wait for the next batch to mature (Raonic, etc) and in the meantime Nole could maybe win 2-3 slams per year for the next 3-4 seasons. As long as he stays fit and motivated himself...
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Sun 03 Jul 2011, 7:42 pm

Luciusmann, it's speculation, we don't know what would have happened but we do know what happened. Remember Djokovic still needs 5 wins against Nadal to lead the head to head. Needs another 4 in slams to even level the 1 sided 5-1 so far and that could take years and who knows what would happen during that time?

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun 03 Jul 2011, 7:43 pm

Simple_Analyst wrote:. Sorry no more weak era.

Yep! just shows how weak 2010 was with all top players injured. Nadal had it easy there. I knew he could not reproduce.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Sun 03 Jul 2011, 7:51 pm

Lol are we talking about 2003-2007 or what? That's the only weak era tennis has ever had.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Sun 03 Jul 2011, 7:52 pm

Lol are we talking about 2003-2007 or what? That's the only weak era tennis has ever had.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 03 Jul 2011, 8:04 pm

Lydian very good post, I think this final is a sea change similar to what we witnessed when Nadal beat Fed for the wimby in 08. Clearly, this trend of consecutive losses by Nadal to Djoko is no blip. On three different surfaces Djokovic has now won 9 of the last 10 sets he has played against Nadal. He has Nadal figured out and Nadal now needs to show how great of champion he is and see if he can win in another way.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 03 Jul 2011, 8:10 pm

by Simple_Analyst Today at 7:52 pm

Couldn't make it any more obvious who you are Catalan Power....(yawn) laughing
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 03 Jul 2011, 8:17 pm

Indeed socal, the test will be how Nadal now comes back at Nole because this loss confirms he'll need to change his game - and he can improve for sure. We know Nadal is a smart player, and his coach a great tactician, I wouldnt write off his capability to score important wins against Novak again.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Sun 03 Jul 2011, 8:20 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
by Simple_Analyst Today at 7:52 pm

Couldn't make it any more obvious who you are Catalan Power....(yawn) laughing

Do you know this for a fact?

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Sun 03 Jul 2011, 8:21 pm

There is NO SUCH THING as a " Weak Era"

Try Googling "We Keira" and see what happens !

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Sun 03 Jul 2011, 8:22 pm

Socal I agree. It's no more a blip by Nadal but recent domination of him by Djokovic and Nadal has to find a way to overcome. The onIy good thing is he is still comfortably leading the slam head to head. I'm excited about the battles ahead. I like seeing great players all playing at once.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 03 Jul 2011, 8:22 pm

lol yummy
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 03 Jul 2011, 8:23 pm

Agree SA, these are great times for true fans of tennis.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Sun 03 Jul 2011, 8:25 pm

Anyone heard what Nadal said about the 'mental' aspect? He said it affected him when he reached 5 - 4 and it started to play on his mind (exactly what I thought would happen). Does anything think we've seen what Nadal did to Federer mentally has now come full circle and been done to Nadal by Djokovic?

btw SA, if this mental edge issue continues to haunt Nadal, I wouldn't be so sure any of those head to heads (he currently holds against Djokovic) will hold.

Last edited by luciusmann on Sun 03 Jul 2011, 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Sun 03 Jul 2011, 8:26 pm

lydian wrote:lol yummy

OBVIOUSLY peeps don't know how to *Google* Lydian Whistle

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Sun 03 Jul 2011, 9:59 pm

luciusmann wrote:

Despite Nadal losing, what a gracious guy, I felt bad for his family, but he'll be back and hopefully he'll work on getting his mental edge back over Djokovic. Nadal doesn't have long, the USO isn't that long away. Anyone think Nadal would beat Djokovic there....?

Sorry but I disagree. He said the right words but body language does say a lot more. The exchange at the net was cold and nothing like when Djoko lost at the USO and walked round to congratulate Nadal. That was genuine unlike today. Usually after the two have their pic taken with the trophy the loser usually will say something and maybe give the winner a tap or something (as I noted Federer do at the FO) but Nadal turned round and walked off. In 2006 when Fed/Nadal did a lap of honour and they crossed each other they sort of 'low fived'. None of that was on show today as Nadal was furious. Was not very nice to keep officials, Djoko and little boy who performed the toss waiting so long either.

Its always much easier to be gracious when you win than when you lose. Nadal is not accustomed to losing so its all new to him. Not sticking the boot in here but that's just how I see it.

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun 03 Jul 2011, 10:44 pm

"Its always much easier to be gracious when you win than when you lose.
Nadal is not accustomed to losing so its all new to him. Not sticking
the boot in here but that's just how I see it."

Another reason why NoleISthebest Smile

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 03 Jul 2011, 10:47 pm

Nadal is certainly not a gracious loser, didn't really shake hands or a gentle hug to the star of the season, seems to think tennis should all be about HIM. Novak on the other hand always seems chirpy even if he's the runner up, a good guy.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Sun 03 Jul 2011, 11:02 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:

Nadal is certainly not a gracious loser, didn't really shake hands or a gentle hug to the star of the season, seems to think tennis should all be about HIM. Novak on the other hand always seems chirpy even if he's the runner up, a good guy.

That is true. He needs to learn now to conduct himself and keep his team in check now that he is World Number one as that display after his Madrid win was shameful. I guess it will follow. Today Nadal was not in a mood to be gracious. Fair enough he lost a slam and no 1 to Djoko but still it could have been a little warm. Even in Rome/Madrid Nadal looked as if he wanted to hit Djoko with the runner up tray lol! Federer too is not one to hug a player after he loses so looks like Djoko is the exception to the rule. It is in defeats that you learn a lot about a person. Not sure what I want to read into Federer crying!!!!

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun 03 Jul 2011, 11:35 pm

lydian wrote: We know Nadal is a smart player, and his coach a great tactician

Not that smart to me. I am not sure Toni was aware that when teaching Nadal's game, he knew PRP treatment woudl be invented and allowed to allow this gruelling type of tennis to thrive. He was lucky they allowed PRP on Sept 2009. And knowing their strategy, it;s going to be getting stronger with more stamina.

Tennis wise Nadal is a long way off Federer and Djoko and his only way to catch up with Djoko now is to become even stronger. Tough ask!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Mon 04 Jul 2011, 6:40 am

Simple analyst= Catalan. I do not know as why cp thinks of himself as en educator or analyst, all he does is federer bashing

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 04 Jul 2011, 7:19 am

Simple_Analyst wrote:The only good news for Nadal is, the slam head to head is still 5-1 and 16-12 overall. I'd expect Djokovic to close it further but the head to head is important. Before we could know this time next year Djokovic could be on 6 slams and in the GOAT debate if he is not in already which I believe he is.

This is nonsense; h2hs only matter to fanboys.

Oh, and 6 Slams doesn't get you into a GOAT debate.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 04 Jul 2011, 9:30 am

It was interesting to watch Djokovic do a Nadal on Nadal - Chase down everything and make very few errors (excluding the 3rd set blip). Rafa didn't seem to have an answer, and his level of play was definitely much lower than in the semi final as a result - went for more than he is usually used to, and made uncharacteristic errors. Suggests that Djokovic, and the recent run of defeats, has got into his head. Of course, it still needed Novak to play to a very high standard, and he did that very well and thoroughly deserved his victory.

Murray must be kicking himself today, as he got off to a similar start to Djokovic (edging a tight first set with the one break of serve), but then blew an opportunity to establish a convincing lead in the 2nd set - had he not made the big forehand error, I think he might have maintained his quality and Rafa might have remained playing a bit below his best and started to wilt under the pressure (as he did in the final).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Mon 04 Jul 2011, 9:42 am

Weak era debate, haven't we gone through this umpteenth times? Rafa beat puerta, berdych, soderling and fed to win his slams. Who is a strong player in here? And most of the sfs wins have come against andy.

Is cp saying that fed and Murray are very strong players?

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 04 Jul 2011, 9:51 am

wow, it's the recourse of fanboys.

Seey article "All that glitters is not Golden" for a critique on the opposite phenomenon; the tendancy to think the current era is amazing.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down