The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

David's weight

+7
TRUSSMAN66
Duncan
lightsout
SugarRayBray
88Chris05
Union Cane
King Raoh
11 posters

Go down

David's weight Empty David's weight

Post by King Raoh Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:25 pm

Hello all

I'm interested to getting your views about David Haye's weight gain since he turned Heavyweight.

He has been a heavyweight since late 2008 and in my view should be at least in the low 16st bracket by now. This has been a massive oversight on both his and Booth's part especially considering the enormous stature of Vitali and Wladimir.

Cheers

King Raoh

Back to top Go down

David's weight Empty Re: David's weight

Post by Union Cane Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:27 pm

Erm
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:30 pm

Feel free to join the Prediction League by the way, the more the merrier!

https://www.606v2.com/t7986p50-union-cane-s-prediction-league-results-week-two-fixtures-new-entrants-welcome

thumbsup
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:37 pm

King Raoh wrote:Hello all

I'm interested to getting your views about David Haye's weight gain since he turned Heavyweight.

He has been a heavyweight since late 2008 and in my view should be at least in the low 16st bracket by now

Where are you getting this view from? There was nothing to suggest that Haye being a stone or so heavier would have made any difference at all to saturday's result, and remembering that Haye's whole plan to defeat the likes of Klitschko and Valuev since he joined the Heavyweight ranks has been based around speed, elusiveness and explosiveness, chances are that additional weight would only hinder, rather than help. He simply isn't a big Heavyweight, so I'm not sure why you've decided that the 'should be' at least 224 lb.

To be honest, I thought Haye looked a little too top-heavy and bulky for the Ruiz fight, where he scaled 222 lb. The fact that he seemed to tire for a while in the mid rounds, allowing Ruiz to outjab him for periods, is perhaps a testament to that. I don't think there has been an oversight on Haye or Booth's part at all in terms of weight, he looks in a better physical condidtion between 210 lb and 215 lb, and extra weight wouldn't have made any difference the other night.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by King Raoh Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:38 pm

Cheers Union.. Not sure of the introduction ettiquette on here so I just waded in! Unlike David boxing

King Raoh

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayBray Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:47 pm

I agree with 88chris05 on this one.

Was it just me or did Haye look a little less than cut in the ring on Saturday night. Looked a little too rounded to me. Maybe it was just the ring lighting?

I know he looked in top shape beforehand, but in the ring he looked a tiny bit loose to me.

SugarRayBray

Back to top Go down

Post by King Raoh Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:58 pm

Hi Chris

On the night.. No it wouldn't have made a difference because he hadn't continued to gradually build his physique and overall strength. I understand all of what you say and ofcourse there is a strong argument for that point of view. I don't however subscribe to this view. Haye would have been better off fight by fight getting closer to the 220-25 mark knowing full well who he was going to be fighting for the title. Did he honestly think he wasn't going to come into close contact with Wlad, get leaned on, or have to stand and trade. Yes is probably the answer hence why he remained at what he stated was his optimum weight.

Also as I see no reason why it would have necessarily hindered his speed too any damaging extent he would still be quicker than the majority of heavyweights around. If done the right way building lean muscle mass can greatly enhance your strength and explosiveness. 6ft3 -220 sounds about right to me given Haye's natural frame and body type.

King Raoh

Back to top Go down

Post by lightsout Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:47 pm

Way too small, he was looking at the ref from round 5 onwards as if too say look, look he's throwing me to the floor, sorry David, Wlad's he's a true HW and that's what happens to you if you come into a fight 2 stone light......

lightsout

Back to top Go down

Post by Duncan Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:35 pm

I don’t really see how an extra stone of body mass would have helped David, he still would have been the smaller man and out muscled, Evander weighed in about the 15 stone mark when he came up from cruiser and was at his best.

Duncan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:39 pm

Chris and sugar are right..why sacrifice speed for muscle.....

speed and sharp shooting were his major strengths....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:03 pm

David should have asked Evan Fields to get him sorted with a membership down the Balco Gym.

Although I reckon he probably knows all about it anyway.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluto1978 Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:07 pm

Rather than just weight it was a matter of strength. If Haye wasn't so easily pushed around it would certainly have helped.

Bluto1978

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:11 pm

Bluto if you're naturally 245..you are always going to be stronger than a blown up version.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:14 pm

That's just what a guy with a reputation for poor stamina needs, another stone of respiring muscle to lug around.

Why not go the whole hog and bulk up to twenty stone and bite of Klitschko's head off like Godzilla?

This is the same argument as Khan is taller than Tyson, therefore there is no reason why he can't bulk up and become an effective heavyweight. There comes a point where it aint your natural weight, and the bulk only hinders, not helps.

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluto1978 Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:34 pm

In the normal run of things yes. Strength isn't all about weight though it does help . Haye is never going to be as strong Wlad but he can close the gap and make it a bit easier to use his speed. I do think it was a mistake not to adapt a bit to the division. To me, it looked like all they did was to stop boiling Haye down to the cruiserweight.
Holyfield grew into the division and understood he needed to be stronger even if was a speed fighter at heavyweight. Don't think it would have made a huge difference but it did make his job unnecessarily hard that he was so easily rag dolled about. Just my opinion

Bluto1978

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:47 pm

i think he knows more than us on his perfect weight.

remember power comes from speed as well as strength.
more muscle mass drastically reduces speed.

his weight was perfect. his gameplan wasnt.
lets face it, he could knock anyone in the world out if he connects right. his size wasnt anything to do with his loss

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by King Raoh Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:34 pm

Didn't Evander Holyfield train with Lee Haney at one point? Seem to recall something to that effect.

an interesting article hear when you get down to the actual breakdowns of the workouts: http://www.sportsci.org/news/news9709/hatfield.html

King Raoh

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:33 am

King Raoh wrote:Didn't Evander Holyfield train with Lee Haney at one point? Seem to recall something to that effect.

an interesting article hear when you get down to the actual breakdowns of the workouts: http://www.sportsci.org/news/news9709/hatfield.html

great link, very interesting read.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down