The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hey Tiger You Wont Be Playing In The Open, Why Pretend Otherwise?

+4
Diggers
kwinigolfer
drive4show
detones
8 posters

Go down

Hey Tiger You Wont Be Playing In The Open, Why Pretend Otherwise? Empty Hey Tiger You Wont Be Playing In The Open, Why Pretend Otherwise?

Post by detones Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:41 pm

Was watching the AT&T last night and they cut to an Interview by David Feherty and Mr. Woods.

Fereherty is his usual lap dog manner when it comes to Tiger asked Mr. W about his chances of Playing in the Open in 2 weeks Time. Tiger said he was still unsure if he would make it, that it was up to the docs, that he would only play now when 100% ans so on.

I think at this stage every dog in the street knows he wont be there, so why does he not just come out and say so. Is this a move to ensure the Open does not loose any prestige from the Number 17 Player in the world not turning up. I do hope this is not the case. At one stage there was a void when Tiger was not in a tournanment, now this void has been filled. There is a hell of lot more to world of Golf now then one man and I fore one (get it Wink ) cant wait for the Open, with or without Tiger.

Last edited by detones on Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

detones

Back to top Go down

Hey Tiger You Wont Be Playing In The Open, Why Pretend Otherwise? Empty Re: Hey Tiger You Wont Be Playing In The Open, Why Pretend Otherwise?

Post by drive4show Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:46 pm

The Open will survive quite comfortably without the world #17, regardless of who it is. There have been many occasions in the past where even higher ranked players haven't played for one reason or another and it's not affected the tournament.

The Open is the biggest event in golf, it is by far and away the most global of the 4 majors.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Hey Tiger You Wont Be Playing In The Open, Why Pretend Otherwise? Empty Re: Hey Tiger You Wont Be Playing In The Open, Why Pretend Otherwise?

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:07 pm

If Tiger was to play at RStG he would almost certainly not be competitive and would distract attention from the real competitors.
Best for everyone if he stays away and returns when he's fully fit.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:57 am

D4s, dont really get the "by far the most global" comment? How do you mean?
Only Tiger knows if he is fit, the fact the media would focus on him to be fair isn't his problem. If he thinks he can be competitive he has every right to be there just line any other player who had qualified would.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:01 am

Diggers, I'm not sure about that turn of phrase but The Open is certainly the one that everyone wants to win across the world. It is much like Wimbledon in that respect as that also appears to be the one that players dream about winning as a kid.

Tiger probably won't be at RSG and although the competitive element of the tournament won't be the worse for his absence, The Open as a whole would be better for him being there.

However, I do now think that Tiger needs to work harder for his fans as they will diminish as his form remains iffy. I think that he should come over to RSG regardless and sit in the pundit's box - Tiger has always been able to keep himself and his opinions relatively to himself but he now needs to change his tact and in showing a bit of humility by adopting a microphone for a few days would take great courage and help to support The Open. Hiding away in his exclusive Florida postcode does not do him any favours with the fans...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:03 am

Oh Gawd .. the combination of Tiger and Peter Alliss would be just TOO much...

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:10 am

But my point is that we have very little idea what Tiger would be like. He has portrayed himself as a super human being that does not need to give anything away about himself and his opinions. His transgressions have shown him not to be super human and now that his golf is suffering it will get to a stage where people no longer care how he works and what he thinks. If he transforms himself from being an enigma into being open to the press and fans then they might find this humility refreshing and they will look favourably upon him again...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:19 am

I assume D4S was referring to the fact that the field is drawn more widely with qualifying competitions being held around the world. It is by any definition the most global golf event.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:23 am

puligny wrote:I assume D4S was referring to the fact that the field is drawn more widely with qualifying competitions being held around the world. It is by any definition the most global golf event.

Agreed, i think the US Open has qualifiers in US, UK and Japan and thats it... Where as the OC has qualifier on every continent (except maybe S America)...
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down