The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A tribute to the British Ugly ducklings!!

+12
oxring
ONETWOFOREVER
Strongback
HumanWindmill
Michaels, Sean
coxy0001
bhb001
88Chris05
Mind the windows Tino.
Union Cane
Imperial Ghosty
TRUSSMAN66
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

A tribute to the British Ugly ducklings!! - Page 2 Empty A tribute to the British Ugly ducklings!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 05 Jul 2011, 4:17 pm

First topic message reminder :

These are fighters that over achieved and have got world class or near to world class accomplishments to show for their careers but are mainly forgotten...

Naturally since I've only been here since 89 I am biased towards that time onward but kudos to these guys..

Duke Mckenzie
Steve Robinson
Dennis Andries
Pat Cowdell
Kirkland Laing
Tony Sibson....

Any more just as worthy or more worthy...never written about who deserve a mention??? please add them..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

A tribute to the British Ugly ducklings!! - Page 2 Empty Re: A tribute to the British Ugly ducklings!!

Post by Strongback Tue 05 Jul 2011, 10:44 pm

Good old Roberto......Top 10 ATG.

A 90 year old Ray Arcel sitting in his apartment in Manhattan watched his TV in astonishment as a 38 year old Duran regained the title.

All Arcel could say was "That's my boy"

I can't get my head around why you don't like him Truss. He was a fight man's fighter in every sense of the word

Strongback

Back to top Go down

A tribute to the British Ugly ducklings!! - Page 2 Empty Re: A tribute to the British Ugly ducklings!!

Post by Cast a Shadow Tue 05 Jul 2011, 11:21 pm

Johnny Nelson is a bloody good shout...I'd be tempted to add Froch in there as well as it's his attitude that gets him over the line in a few fights. Men with less mental strength would have given up vs Jermain Taylor and lost to the likes of Pascal and Dirrell.

Chris Eubank is someone who springs to mind as either an over-achiever if you look at what he made of limited talent at a late age, but then someone who didn't have as many big fights as he should have done - a perculiar case all round was our Chris.

Nice to catch up with many of you again...

http://outspokenrabbit.blogspot.com/

By the way Truss, I know what an OutspokenRabbit is in America and be assured I'm not one!!

Cast a Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 06 Jul 2011, 12:14 am

does the don not get real credit in this country truss, or do people just pop at him as a dig at you? Usually when you're reminding us of honey starling!

Magnificent fighter at welter, probably weight drained when he ran into a prime, hungry honeyghan. Never the same after being sparked by the bodysnatcher and always looked gunshy thereafter. His demolition of McCrory remains one of my favourite ko's.

back on topic a few light middle/middles

Graham.... more of an underachiever i guess but the forgotten brit middle of late 80's early 90's
minter... some would say a fighter with minter's record over-achieved and was lucky to get a shot at a poor champion, but i'd argue had he been born born with tougher skin history would treat him kinder. Whilst he could see he was actually giving hagler a decent fight. in other fights when he remembered to box he was very capable.
chris pyatt, never quite top drawer but a handful at his best and a win over kalambay
maurice hope...probably made the best of what he had, but genuine world title holder, rarely talked about and then usually just for being laid out by benitez

dave boy green, also most remembered for being laid out beautifully by srl, but no mug and a tryer, as was stracey before him

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by westybeast Wed 06 Jul 2011, 6:58 pm

terry marsh - unbeaten and a world champ when retired - after epilisy was it ?

carl thompson - powers of recovery extradoinary v haye and at least once more

westybeast

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 7:17 pm

How did Marsh get away with that knowledge for so long..Must have known..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2