The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welsh world cup squad Captain?

+4
dogtooth
Cari
bedfordwelsh
maestegmafia
8 posters

Go down

Captain?

Welsh world cup squad Captain? Vote_lcap74%Welsh world cup squad Captain? Vote_rcap 74% 
[ 20 ]
Welsh world cup squad Captain? Vote_lcap4%Welsh world cup squad Captain? Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
Welsh world cup squad Captain? Vote_lcap4%Welsh world cup squad Captain? Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
Welsh world cup squad Captain? Vote_lcap7%Welsh world cup squad Captain? Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 2 ]
Welsh world cup squad Captain? Vote_lcap7%Welsh world cup squad Captain? Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 2 ]
Welsh world cup squad Captain? Vote_lcap0%Welsh world cup squad Captain? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]
Welsh world cup squad Captain? Vote_lcap0%Welsh world cup squad Captain? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 27

Welsh world cup squad Captain? Empty Welsh world cup squad Captain?

Post by maestegmafia Tue 05 Jul 2011, 7:06 pm

Continuing an ongoing theme who do you guys think should lead the team?

We have had Matthew Rees over the last ten months who seems both popular and a good leader, Ryan Jones for a few years, though he seems to no longer be a certain selection.

Other possibilities are Gethin Jenkins, Alun Wynn Jones, Stephen Jones, Martyn Williams and maybe a youngster for the future who has captaining experience, someone like Justin Tuperic or Sam Warburton?

Anyone else?

What are your thoughts?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Welsh world cup squad Captain? Empty Re: Welsh world cup squad Captain?

Post by Guest Tue 05 Jul 2011, 7:10 pm

I voted for Matthew Rees, I think he's doing a good job.

Tuperic and Williams aren't guaranteed to go, and Stevo has openly said he doesn't like taking on the captaincy.
Of the others Warburton is a possibility but for the others I think they play better without the added pressure of being captain.

So tis mainly Rees, with Warbs as a 2nd choice for me.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 05 Jul 2011, 7:13 pm

Rees is out in front by quite a distance IMO, when looking at the other names in the pole you have to look at who else is guaranteed to start.

I would say Rees, AWJ and Warburton are the only ones guaranteed to start.

Jenkins hasn't played much and there is a growing feeling James might now be 1st choice.

Williams and Tupieric might not even be on the plane and neither are definate starters.

There will always be the Jones/Hook debate and no ones I don't think who will start.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 05 Jul 2011, 7:25 pm

Definitely Smiler. Tipuric is a surprising candidate to be fair, as I doubt he'll go and he certainly won't start.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 05 Jul 2011, 7:38 pm

I think Matthew Rees will most likely be captain, but I think Stephen Jones would be a great captain if he was willing to do it but I don't think he's keen on captaincy anymore. That's a shame cause he has the experience and is very good at organising players on the pitch.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Tue 05 Jul 2011, 8:00 pm

it should be rees but if he is rested in one of the pool games who will be captain then? maybe warbs.
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Tue 05 Jul 2011, 8:29 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Rees is out in front by quite a distance IMO, when looking at the other names in the pole you have to look at who else is guaranteed to start.

I would say Rees, AWJ and Warburton are the only ones guaranteed to start.

Jenkins hasn't played much and there is a growing feeling James might now be 1st choice.

Williams and Tupieric might not even be on the plane and neither are definate starters.

There will always be the Jones/Hook debate and no ones I don't think who will start.

I know he has been injured for a long time, but people saying that James would be ahead of a fully fit Jenkins can't have been watching gthe same matches as me! I think if Gethin is fit he is the FIRST name down on the team sheet. He is a capable scrummager (as good as James, arguably better) but around the park there isnt a prop anywhere in World Rugby that comes close to his ability whilst still holding his own in the tight. I don't think he is vocal enough to be captain though.

AWJ seems to be overawed by the captaincy, and plays within himself. We need him playing at the top of his game,

Rees followed by Warburton for me.

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 05 Jul 2011, 9:36 pm

Pretty solid agreement on Rees.

Agree that Warburton is a great prospect for the future

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Tue 05 Jul 2011, 9:49 pm

Rees has done well as captain and should remain. Warbuton is a future captain no doubt, stephen jones is a good steady head but as mentioned above depends on who starts at 10.

tipuric wont be going to nz, no experience and even by some miracle he did, he would have to oust warbuton from his place.

martyn williams i regret to say is past it, very good player but age has caught up with him, if he does go then same problem as with tipuric and also Martyn doesnt seem like captain material

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue 05 Jul 2011, 11:00 pm

Cari:

S Jones was captain and was know as captain rudey poo by his team mates i.e. we kept losing, this is the reason he does not want to be captain!

M Rees doing a good job? I thought the objective is to win games but most of the blame has to go to Gatland and his team selections the last 3 years!

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Jul 2011, 9:05 am

glamorganalun - Stephen Jones has openly said he doesn't enjoy the captaincy armband, that's why he isn't captain at the Scarlets either. He said that before he even became captain for Wales, he'd take on the armband if he had to, but it wouldn't be his choice. Martyn Williams said something similar as well I believe.

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 10:07 am

You can't blame Matthew Rees for us not winning. He's a good solid captain.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 07 Jul 2011, 9:40 pm

mckay1402:
I do not blame M Rees for losing games, I blame Gatland poor selection but I can't see how we can say he is a good captian when we keep losing! I still think R Jones was our best captain in years but I think he was taking responsibility on the park, I suspect Gatland want's a robot yes man as a captain.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down