The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ricky Hatton announces retirement

+11
Sugar Boy Sweetie
The Galveston Giant
milkyboy
School Project
TRUSSMAN66
Fists of Fury
Scottrf
JDandfries
huw
Union Cane
Adam D
15 posters

Go down

Ricky Hatton announces retirement Empty Ricky Hatton announces retirement

Post by Adam D Thu 07 Jul 2011, 2:13 pm

Former welterweight and light-welterweight world champion Ricky Hatton has announced his retirement at the age of 32.

He has not fought since he suffered a crushing IBO light-welterweight world title defeat at the hands of Manny Pacquiao in Las Vegas in 2009.

Hatton's only other defeat in his 47-fight career came against Floyd Mayweather Jr in 2007.

He lost his licence to box in 2010 after allegations about use of cocaine.

Hatton's first major title came in 2000 when he beat Jon Thaxton to become the British light-welterweight champion.

'The Hitman', as Hatton became known, went on to dominate the light-welterweight division with his most notable victory at that weight coming in 2005 against IBF champion Kostya Tszyu.

Tsyzu was a huge favourite for the fight in Manchester, but Hatton overcame the odds to defeat his opponent by technical knockout.

In 2006, Hatton became a two-weight world champion after defeating Puerto Rican Luis Collazo to take the WBA welterweight world title, and he followed that victory up by beating Juan Urango to reclaim his IBF light-welterweight title.

A sensational fourth-round knockout of Jose Luis Castillo in Las Vegas further increased Hatton's popularity and helped set up his fight with Mayweather Jr in December 2007.

Undeterred by his loss to Mayweather - his first in professional boxing - Hatton returned to the ring with victories over Juan Lazcano and Paulie Malignaggi in 2008 before he faced the world's pound-for-pound best fighter Pacquiao.

It was a bout that proved too much for Hatton, who was knocked down twice in the first round before being knocked out in the second.

Hatton was linked with several big-name fighters following his loss to Pacquiao, including a rematch with Mayweather Jr, but has now decided to end his 14-year professional career.

BBC - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/14063986.stm

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Ricky Hatton announces retirement Empty Re: Ricky Hatton announces retirement

Post by Union Cane Thu 07 Jul 2011, 2:16 pm

In other news...
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Thu 07 Jul 2011, 2:17 pm

Good, a good career and an impressive record losing only to the two best fighters of this generation.

Well done to Ricky for not fighting on and tarnishing a good record.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Thu 07 Jul 2011, 2:18 pm

huw wrote:Good, a good career and an impressive record losing only to the two best fighters of this generation.

Well done to Ricky for not fighting on and tarnishing a good record.

here here boxing

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 07 Jul 2011, 2:18 pm

http://www.sayyestovacationhomes.com/KSC/Man%20Lands%20on%20Moon.JPG

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 07 Jul 2011, 2:26 pm

All the best with the promoting Ricky, a great ambassador for British boxing, and a shining example to fighters trying to protect their records...get out there and fight the best when you get the opportunity, if you come up short then so be it, but don't end your career having any regrets.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Thu 07 Jul 2011, 2:32 pm

Im sure Hatton has a few regrets though, especially if you listen to his excuses for the two fights he lost

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 07 Jul 2011, 2:36 pm

Why announce it......we took it as read..

Waste of time.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu 07 Jul 2011, 2:39 pm

Probably needed a little bit of closure, maybe to have people around him and give him a cheer.

I agree though, waste of time. He picked the wrong day to try and hit headlines with it too!

Rolling Eyes

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Thu 07 Jul 2011, 2:42 pm

His interview explains why he announced it

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 07 Jul 2011, 2:52 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:All the best with the promoting Ricky, a great ambassador for British boxing, and a shining example to fighters trying to protect their records...get out there and fight the best when you get the opportunity, if you come up short then so be it, but don't end your career having any regrets.

or a shining shining example of a guy with a protected record his whole career... who takes a punt for huge money fights at the end of it? The best managed, best marketed british fighter ever. Not a criticism by the way, a compliment to the business acumen of his team. Just not my idea of a shinging example in the context you describe.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Thu 07 Jul 2011, 2:53 pm

milkyboy wrote:
Fists of Fury wrote:All the best with the promoting Ricky, a great ambassador for British boxing, and a shining example to fighters trying to protect their records...get out there and fight the best when you get the opportunity, if you come up short then so be it, but don't end your career having any regrets.

or a shining shining example of a guy with a protected record his whole career... who takes a punt for huge money fights at the end of it? The best managed, best marketed british fighter ever. Not a criticism by the way, a compliment to the business acumen of his team. Just not my idea of a shinging example in the context you describe.

-----

I think that is harsh, Slappy Joe is the most protected british fighter of all time, and he is the example to follow in that respect

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 07 Jul 2011, 2:54 pm

School Project wrote:Probably needed a little bit of closure, maybe to have people around him and give him a cheer.

I agree though, waste of time. He picked the wrong day to try and hit headlines with it too!

Rolling Eyes

They've made me work today, did i miss some big news
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Thu 07 Jul 2011, 2:57 pm

In other news dinosaurs have been wiped out by a meteor, Jesus Christ was sentenced to death, the Great War in Europe ended, man landed on the moon and terrorists brought down the World Trade Centre.

Only kidding. Can't believe it's taken Ricky 2 years to make this official, but good luck to him. So... will he make the HoF at first ballot?
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 07 Jul 2011, 2:59 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:
School Project wrote:Probably needed a little bit of closure, maybe to have people around him and give him a cheer.

Rolling Eyes

They've made me work today, did i miss some big news
6 years ago.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 07 Jul 2011, 3:01 pm

I personally would have Ricky in, not sure if he will get in though, his only losses are to the best 2 P4P of his era and he has beaten some good fighters.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 07 Jul 2011, 3:06 pm

I suspect Hatton will get in on first ballot due to the popularity he had but I think whether he deserves to or not is pretty marginal.

You could use McGuigan as a reason for him to get in, but similarly you could use Hamed as a reason for him not to.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 07 Jul 2011, 3:10 pm

JDandfries wrote:
milkyboy wrote:

-----

I think that is harsh, Slappy Joe is the most protected british fighter of all time, and he is the example to follow in that respect

fair point on protection as calzaghe fought more stiffs as champion certainly, but arguably had fewer options imo. As champion, Hatton cherry pricked his way through names on the slide and lucky belt holders whilst his football fan supporters lapped up the spiel. Genuinely very good fighter, nowhere near great. Lost the first time he fought anybody else who was both quality and at their peak. It so happens that they were the best fighters of their generation, so nigh on impossible to assess his true level imo.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 07 Jul 2011, 3:17 pm

apart from the football fans, pretty much! Personally i think one was a wasted talent while the other made the most of theirs

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 07 Jul 2011, 3:22 pm

Hope he goes away now.....Used to like him but he's gone all irritating all of a sudden...

Cortez this..overtrained against Manny that....

You got outclassed Mate..smell the vodka.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 07 Jul 2011, 3:24 pm

The thing with Hamed is he could have easily ended up like Hatton did and got beaten off by the quality that was coming through the division at the time.

Due to the nature of his retirement there a natural "what if" question with him. But worst case scenario he could have ended up being beaten by all of Morales, Pacquiao and Marquez which would have left his legacy in tatters.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Thu 07 Jul 2011, 3:57 pm

Hamed comfortably a better resume, with better fighters on it, than Hatton. Unified the belts, stayed linear champ for three years, beat all-comers at the weight before losing to Barrera, which wasn't a great performance, but certainly wasn't a total humiliation. Kelley, Robinson, Bungu, Medina, Ingle, McCulloch etc more than a match for Tszyu (who never fought again), a shot Castillo, Malignaggi and Urango. Hamed's a fringe UK all-time top tenner, while Ricky's in the mid to lower teens for me. That's a fair difference; as to the Hall of Fame, Hatton wouldn't be in mine, ever, while I could be possibly persuaded about Hamed, although it would need to be by a combination of Demosthenes, Cicero and Bert Sugar.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 07 Jul 2011, 4:18 pm

Playing up to the IBHOF can get an undeserving fighter into the Hall. They also like fighters who promote boxing in a good light. They like to have fighters from the four corners of the globe. With that in mind Wee Barry got the nod. Ricky could have done the same but he has destroyed his image.

Ricky was alwayys game and aggressive and I liked his patter until it became too predictable and he ended up a parody of himself. I've been down the road of comparing Hatton to Hamed on a thread on the old 606 and I agreed with Captain that Hamed has a far superior record to Hatton.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 07 Jul 2011, 4:44 pm

I'm sure i've been down that road too...

as my posts probably show i was never a fan of hattons. I think it was the talking about fighting the best and then the years of avoiding witter, diving in for maussa after his freak win over harris (who he'd shown no interest in), watches urango get a home towner over ben rabah and can't get in quick enough, fights a blown up past it lightweight in castillo etc etc. They all look good on paper, but if you know your boxing they were highly selective. Even Tszyu was a calculated risk with an old inactive champion (great performance though it was.).

I have to own up to always being a bit of a hamed fan... and was frustrated wathcing his performamces drift down hill post ingle.

However, whilst he beat more live opponents than Hatton, the true class was coming through in the division below him in the late 90's. He beat plenty of very good fighters but no one exceptional. Barrerra was his defining fight even then, not just retrospectively, and he blew it.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 08 Jul 2011, 6:19 pm

Took him long enough to retire, but well done Ricky.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 09 Jul 2011, 4:46 pm

Yep, well done Ricky for not making a stupid decision.

I didn't agree with his ridiculous claims that if he beat Mayweather or Pac Man then he'd be p4p 1 as if it was some sort of tangible title he could win.

But, he was a very exciting fighter with good skills when he decided to use them and was as brave as a lion.

Had some great nights watching him!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down