The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England Captain for the World Cup?

+12
yappysnap
bathmad
nathan
OzT
beshocked
G2
The_Hound_of_Harrow
jumpernumber4
Geordie
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
tom_watson
robshaw4england
16 posters

Go down

England Captain for the World Cup?

England Captain for the World Cup? Vote_lcap37%England Captain for the World Cup? Vote_rcap 37% 
[ 7 ]
England Captain for the World Cup? Vote_lcap26%England Captain for the World Cup? Vote_rcap 26% 
[ 5 ]
England Captain for the World Cup? Vote_lcap26%England Captain for the World Cup? Vote_rcap 26% 
[ 5 ]
England Captain for the World Cup? Vote_lcap11%England Captain for the World Cup? Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 19

Poll closed

England Captain for the World Cup? Empty England Captain for the World Cup?

Post by robshaw4england Thu 07 Jul 2011, 9:31 pm

Before the six nations Lewis Moody was seen as the obvious candidate, he's a player who will put in 100% commitment and he would bleed for the Red Rose. However during the six nations, England saw the emergence of Tom Wood and James Haskell on the flanks, with both players having a fine six nations, along with the return from injury of Tom Croft and the outstanding season of the Harlequins captain Chris Robshaw who has been arguably the best openside in the Aviva Premiership this season. Each of these factors have led to question marks over whether Moody would get into the England starting XV, as Moody missed most of his debut season for Bath with a knee injury and ability wise players it is hard to ignore the fact players such as Robshaw and Haskell are better options.

Nick Easter led England throughout the six nations with aplomb and admitted that he would like to carry on captaining England during the world cup. Easter had a fine season as Harlequins vice-captain to England squad member Chris Robshaw.

Dylan Hartley also had a tremendous season, captaining and leading by example a Northampton side that was very lucky not to get any silverware, losing to Leicester in the premiership semi-finals and Leinster in the Heineken Cup final.

Mike Tindall is also another option. The current Gloucester captain, is currently out injured. Although when fully fit has been one of Martin Johnson's first names on the teamsheet. However the emergence of Manu Tuilagi may put question marks surrounding Tindalls starting spot.

robshaw4england

Back to top Go down

England Captain for the World Cup? Empty Re: England Captain for the World Cup?

Post by tom_watson Thu 07 Jul 2011, 9:34 pm

I personally don't believe Moody should make the 30 man squad. Robshaw and Haskell should go as the opensides with Haskell able to cover Easter at 8 (who coincidently i voted as captain) Croft and Wood to compete for the blindside birth.

tom_watson

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 07 Jul 2011, 9:41 pm

Moody/Easter/Tindall/Hartley - apologies if this comes across as controversial, but which of those 4 would make starting teams for the other B&I teams? Hartley, maybe, and I admire Moody's thirst for the cause, but I honestly believe England would be better served by a player over whom there is no question for his position

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 07 Jul 2011, 9:47 pm

As Long....so are you saying that Easter has a question over his position?

Please tell me who will take his spot?

Personally i think he's one of the first names on MJ's team sheet.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 07 Jul 2011, 10:17 pm

Geordie, Yes, personally I wouldn't pick Easter, altho trust me I have this debate regularly with English friends about how underrated he is and how he does stuff that isnt seen, etc., but I just don't see it myself - not saying I'm right, and clearly Jonno (in a different solar system of experience to me) does see something - that being said, I'm not sure who I'd name instead OK But i still couldn't see any other 6N team picking him, except perhaps Wales

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by jumpernumber4 Thu 07 Jul 2011, 10:24 pm

Hartley seems to take being captain very well, it almost seems to focus his game and improve him.
That said, it is a bit of a leap of faith as to whether he can handle the pressure of a world cup. Easter has been there before, and knows the superhuman effort the 2007 England team had to put in to drag itself to the final. The same can be said for Moody, who also won it in 2003, but who's place is under more threat than Easter. Tindall has been there before and won it, so knows the pressure, but out of that list has the most question marks over his spot, as well as being even more injury prone than moody (or so it seems)

jumpernumber4

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 07 Jul 2011, 10:25 pm

I was merely saying that in games, Johnno has at times played different players in roles but one of the only roles he hasnt trialed players at has been Easter at 8.

That would suggest that there is only one person for that spot in his mind.

Im not saying i agree with it, but i think he has been a great player at a time when we have gone through the barren spell and are rebuilding. I think he will be the guarenteed no 8 for the world cup...and possibly next season aswell...so he is a very good bet for Captain.

If the likes of Guest / Fearns/ Narrway etc play very very well next season then they will certainly put the pressure on...especially the way Guest played at the start of the season.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Hound_of_Harrow Thu 07 Jul 2011, 11:34 pm

Non debate really. If fit, Johnson has already said that Moody's the skipper. Tindall is next in the pecking order, then Easter. There may be debate about whether those guys are cuurently the best in their positions, but we are talking about a squad leader, and rallying point.

Don't underestimate the value of experience in a RWC.

Hartley may be the man for 2015.

The_Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by G2 Fri 08 Jul 2011, 9:45 am

As it's my choice from the names above I picked Hartley.
If your going to change captain from the incumbant then go for someone who will be in the team for a good few more years, don't muck around having "interim" captains

G2

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:00 am

Due to a lack of quality candidates for the captaincy and a lack of contenders at no 8 it has to be Nick Easter.

He is the first choice no 8 for England and will stay there. He is the worst no 8 in the 6 nations except for Ryan Jones but he's our no 1.

Picking him as a captain gives him an important role. Bit like Michael Vaughan in the 2005 Ashes series.

Hartley in my opinion still hasn't got the temperament. People might say he got Saints to a HC final - let's be realistic their run to the final wasn't difficult at all. Compare it to Leinster's run and you'll see what I mean! The AP semi showed the lack of discipline from him is still there when dealing with Flood.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:05 am

"Bit like Michael Vaughan in the 2005 Ashes series"...

Disagree there, Vaughan brought good tactical sense to the side, not sure Easter has that!....

I'd think Hartley will be the skipper, firey bloke thathe is.

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:06 am

The_Hound_of_Harrow wrote:Non debate really. If fit, Johnson has already said that Moody's the skipper. Tindall is next in the pecking order, then Easter. There may be debate about whether those guys are cuurently the best in their positions, but we are talking about a squad leader, and rallying point.

Don't underestimate the value of experience in a RWC.

Hartley may be the man for 2015.

This is a comment i don't see much on these boards, People are picking the whole teams based on form alone, we some leaders with experience!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:10 am

I'm just glad it's not Borthwick!!!

Seriously though, the obvious choice given his experience is Easter. Moody's form and fitness has been questionable for most of the season.

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:13 am

OzT he did lead us to a 6nations triumph though.

Not really that difficult as we just had to get past a Welsh side who hadn't won in almost a year,an Scottish side who hadn't beaten us at Twickers in over 20 years,Italy who have never beaten us and a French side who struggle at Twickers and have an insane coach.

Still he managed to achieve it without a quality centre partnership.

Tindall and Moody's spots in the side aren't exactly secure either.

Bathmad Borthwick is an AP winning captain so he can't be all that bad surely?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:16 am

I went for Moody as from all those options he seemed the only player to actually act as a captain on the field, leading by example, motivating his players and not being afraid to speak out.

Easter is a good no8 but went strangely quite when he was given the armband, I think he works better as a vice captain then as the captain. Much as how he works for Quins.

Tindall is too injury prone to be the captain, he can hardly even make it to 60 minutes in the intense test matches, i'm notsure if i'd even play him unless he turns himself round in the friendlies.

Hartley is a possibility after the WC but not before. it's too late now to drop it on him.

For me post wc i'd be looking at trialing one of the following as captain, probably starting after the 6N's 2012:

Hartley- Works well as captain of Saints and seems to be maturing with age and experience.
Croft- I'm honestly not sure why but there's something about him that makes me think he'd work well as captain. He's also assured of his place and one of the ionly Lions in the team.
Robshaw- Has lead Quins well this season, a solid player and if Moody was to retire may get the 7 shirt.
Crane/narroway- Either could take over from Easter, both have captain experience and age group level and either could have the 8 shirt for a while after.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:16 am

I've gone for Moody as I think he has been there and done it and that he should start (assuming he hasn't lost form whilst he's been out). As Hound of Harrow said "experience counts" and I would back Moody to perform at the world cup under pressure.

Having said this, if his form doesn't return then Easter is a fine Vice Captain that can step up to the plate when necessary, with Hartley/Tindall becoming his vice-captain.

I could even see Moody starting as captain and being replaced on 60mins by Wood, with Easter becoming captain.
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:18 am

And Tindall captained for a couple of games in the 6N's...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:51 am

was only a dire emergency I think that he was appointed .... don;t think that was ever the long term solution

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by snoopster Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:08 am

What yappysnap said, both about the captain during the WC and afterwards.

snoopster

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:11 am

Tindall for me, he always gets the ref onside unlike Borthwick who used to be told to shut up and go away.

Moody will do a good job but I think his not a dead cert to start IMO.
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:30 pm

Tindall captained England against Wales, Italy, Scotland and France.

Easter captained against Ireland.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:41 pm

I rate Ester as a player, but not as a captain. A good number 2 but he doesn't seam to have the drive or presence to be a captain.

With regard to the jibe at Hartley, I thought he handled the Flood incident very well. He had Flood so wound up that he was lucky not to be binned or worse for throwing a punch. Hartley did not retaliate or do anything.

He is an irritating animal, just what hookers are meant to be. These days he keeps his temper under control and incites violence in others, very similar to Brian Moore in a way.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down