The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welsh 7's?

3 posters

Go down

Welsh 7's? Empty Welsh 7's?

Post by manofgwent Sat 09 Jul 2011, 3:40 pm

On a weekend where twickenham is hosting the annual Middlesex 7's tournament. I found myself asking why doesnt Wales have a tournament of it's own?
I remember back in the amateur age the Snelling 7's tournament. If I remember rightly, this tournament was hosted about a fortnight before the season kicked off. Maybe it was because it was held in my town of Newport and then the arms park, but my dad took me to see about 5 competitions. I think this had something to do with a 6 hour drinking binge for himself and my uncle.
I know in the proffesiinal age you couldn't expect the welsh stars to take part, but it would be nice to see the club teams taking part. When the tournament took place at Rodney parade, the teams used to hang around and it was a great opportunity to get autographs. A couple of my programmer are plastered with autographs from the likes of johnathon Davies, Robert jones and pretty much all the stars from back in the day. As a kid, Richie Collins was my own personal favourite and one programme has his signature 7 times. Whod have known years later I would have gone on a stag do with him!
I know gwent have there own 7's event, which I will be attending, but a day out for all welsh fans would be awesome and a good opportunity to see the stars of tomorrow. It's a great event for children and gives everyone a chance to meet the players. Let's hope something happens in the future.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Welsh 7's? Empty Re: Welsh 7's?

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sat 09 Jul 2011, 3:58 pm

A good point. The Welsh 7s team apparently lost to Moldova in Barcelona today (there's a round of the European 7s Grand Prix series there this weekend) which suggests some development is needed.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 09 Jul 2011, 4:00 pm

Lower level I know, but there is/was a 7s tournament in Aberaeron, but best not to stay in a tent if the Merthyr boys with their grass roller are about... Yikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 09 Jul 2011, 5:47 pm

It's a waste of time I dont know why Wales bother with a 7's team when we could easily have an A team for less money spent. It just seems like an excuse for fringe regional and Welsh premiership players to go on a jolly across the world.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Sat 09 Jul 2011, 8:25 pm

Alyn. I'm not talking about the 7's team. I'm talking of a welsh 7's annual tournament between clubs or regions. Maybe hosted at the CCS.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down