The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brandon Rios - The New Gatti?

+7
ONETWOFOREVER
The Galveston Giant
88Chris05
BoxingFan88
zx1234
captain carrantuohil
Valero's Conscience
11 posters

Go down

Brandon Rios - The New Gatti? Empty Brandon Rios - The New Gatti?

Post by Valero's Conscience Sun 10 Jul - 10:59

Rios stopped Antillon in 3 extremely entertaining rounds to retain his title.

Rios won the belt earlier this year in a FOTY candidate and his brawling style and granite chin make him a brilliant fighter to watch.

Could he soon the be 'the' guy to watch for entertainment purposes?

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Brandon Rios - The New Gatti? Empty Re: Brandon Rios - The New Gatti?

Post by captain carrantuohil Sun 10 Jul - 11:01

He's technically a good deal better than Gatti, I reckon. Doesn't give you a moment's rest, and while I wouldn't say he's all-time great material yet, he'll always be worth watching.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by zx1234 Sun 10 Jul - 11:06

i would like to see him vs guerrero (if he beats maidana) in november/december

zx1234

http://www.footballbetting365.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 10 Jul - 12:44

Cracking fighter and I was gutted the fight didn't go longer. It was a great fight to watch.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 10 Jul - 13:08

I've certainly become a massive fan of Rios, that's for sure. Although I have to say, I think his crowd pleasing style may actually cost him one or two results in the future; I think he actually has a fairly rounded skillset, but simply fights with emotion so much that you don't really get to see it.

Either way, he's becoming big business now, and there are some potentially cracking fights out there for him. I agree with zx1234 above that Guerrero (if he gets past Maidana, which I think he will) would be an excellent fight for the pair of them.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 10 Jul - 13:39

Yeah would love to see him in with Guerrero, a real 50/50 fight and great clash of styles. He was impressive last night. Was caught with some big shots, but showed a granite chin. Some good fights for the future involving him.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 10 Jul - 13:54

He will be exposed soon enough. He brawls so expect to see a lot of him in the future until he meets a slick African American.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 10 Jul - 14:03

Very entertaining fight and someone with such a chin, strength and workrate will be a difficult fight. However, not much of a defence and waiting to be outboxed.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun 10 Jul - 14:59

Rios absolutely destroyed him. He's better than Gatti, much better imo.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun 10 Jul - 15:13

The Galveston Giant wrote:Yeah would love to see him in with Guerrero, a real 50/50 fight and great clash of styles. He was impressive last night. Was caught with some big shots, but showed a granite chin. Some good fights for the future involving him.

Can't see him beating Guerrero, who is ultra skillful, very fast and the better of the two imo, i like Rios but i think he could be comfortably outboxed.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 10 Jul - 15:33

Rios is a very entertaining fighter who loves a good scrap. I could see Guerrero beating him but not comfortably Katsidis caused Guerrero a lot of problem with body shots in their fight and Rios throws good body shots. If Katsidis can trouble Guerrero their is no reason why Rios can't do the same.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Sun 10 Jul - 16:19

He'll definately lose a few fights if he continues against top level competition but people will grow to love him because of his style and knowing they're in for a good fight win or lose, much like Gatti.

Boxing needs people like him.

WAR RIOS!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 10 Jul - 19:22

I think people have forgot his win over Acosta, which was better than antillon by a mile. Acosta was an elite fighter and combined skill, power and speed very well. Rios lost the 1st 4 rounds but he managed to get past acosta's best shots and land his heavy hits. Acosta had good stamina also, but was forced to throw more than he has ever before because if he didn't he wouldn't have even won the frost 4 rounds.Also, Peterson was a well rounded and skilled boxer and rios found a way of getting on he inside.

Rios has quick hands for a brawler and crisp combinations which is why I think he is the guy at LW atm. He has good fundamental skills and uses them but his style is so exciting it sometimes goes unlooked.

He can be outboxed but only by exceptional fighters like mayweather. If Acosta and petersen couldn't outbox him (for a lengthly amount of time at least) then I cant see khan, soto, Alexander, Bradley, berto, Judah being able to as they haven't shown they have enough to do so.

Guerrero-Rios would be a cracker, although I think a fight with soto should be next if rios can make the weight. Guerrero is fast, strong, skillful but was wobbled by katsidis who imo isn't as good or as strong rios. Guerrero is one of the few I think could outbox rios, but I'm not sure he is big or strong enough to withstand rios' shots in the final 3rd of the fight where rios seems to come into his own and Guerrero tires.

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun 10 Jul - 20:08

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:I think people have forgot his win over Acosta, which was better than antillon by a mile. Acosta was an elite fighter and combined skill, power and speed very well. Rios lost the 1st 4 rounds but he managed to get past acosta's best shots and land his heavy hits. Acosta had good stamina also, but was forced to throw more than he has ever before because if he didn't he wouldn't have even won the frost 4 rounds.Also, Peterson was a well rounded and skilled boxer and rios found a way of getting on he inside.

Rios has quick hands for a brawler and crisp combinations which is why I think he is the guy at LW atm. He has good fundamental skills and uses them but his style is so exciting it sometimes goes unlooked.

He can be outboxed but only by exceptional fighters like mayweather. If Acosta and petersen couldn't outbox him (for a lengthly amount of time at least) then I cant see khan, soto, Alexander, Bradley, berto, Judah being able to as they haven't shown they have enough to do so.

Guerrero-Rios would be a cracker, although I think a fight with soto should be next if rios can make the weight. Guerrero is fast, strong, skillful but was wobbled by katsidis who imo isn't as good or as strong rios. Guerrero is one of the few I think could outbox rios, but I'm not sure he is big or strong enough to withstand rios' shots in the final 3rd of the fight where rios seems to come into his own and Guerrero tires.

I don't think Rios is anywhere near as strong as Katsidis, he's better though. But Guerrero will just jab his head off imo, he's better in every department and will school him, i'll have a few quid on Guerrero if that ever happens. I think Guerrero's the best LW in the world atm and would beat anyone, he'll also school Maidana.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 10 Jul - 22:32

Young_Towzer wrote:
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:I think people have forgot his win over Acosta, which was better than antillon by a mile. Acosta was an elite fighter and combined skill, power and speed very well. Rios lost the 1st 4 rounds but he managed to get past acosta's best shots and land his heavy hits. Acosta had good stamina also, but was forced to throw more than he has ever before because if he didn't he wouldn't have even won the frost 4 rounds.Also, Peterson was a well rounded and skilled boxer and rios found a way of getting on he inside.

I don't think Rios is anywhere near as strong as Katsidis, he's better though. But Guerrero will just jab his head off imo, he's better in every department and will school him, i'll have a few quid on Guerrero if that ever happens. I think Guerrero's the best LW in the world atm and would beat anyone, he'll also school Maidana.

Kats had a lot of joy against Guerrero with body shots he should have threw more of them. Rios throws lovely hooks to the body I would fancy Rios to beat Guerrero. As for Kats Rios would wipe the floor with him. Rios can do everything Kats can but better plus he can do so much more and he doesn't have a career as a human punching bag behind him.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down