The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ecclestone - I'd buy back F1

2 posters

Go down

Ecclestone - I'd buy back F1 Empty Ecclestone - I'd buy back F1

Post by Guest Mon 11 Jul 2011, 6:39 pm

Bernie Ecclestone has suggested that he would be willing to once again take on the ownership of Formula One's commercial rights.

The 80-year-old owned the sport prior to 2005, when he sold out to CVC for US$1.7billion. Ecclestone now controls the rights on behalf of the private equity firm, for example negotiating contracts with circuits and television companies.

It is estimated that F1 is now potentially worth around five times that figure, yet Ecclestone would appear to be interested in taking outright control once again.

Asked if he would be interested in buying back F1, Ecclestone was unequivocal in his response as he said: "Yes, absolutely."

There are other interested parties, though, with rumours still persisting that Rupert Murdoch's News Corp might launch a bid in conjunction with one of Europe's leading investment firms EXOR.

However, Ecclestone maintains that no conversation has ever taken place with them with regard to any potential buy-out.

Like that consortium, however, any purchase on his part would have to be at the right price, unsurprising given his reputation as a tough negotiator.

"I wouldn't buy at the price that I think CVC would sell it," Ecclestone told the International Herald Tribune.

"But I would certainly buy at the price they (News Corp and Exor) want to pay."

More on the story at Sky Sports Click Here

What's your views on this?
Would it be good for F1 as we know it?

Back to top Go down

Ecclestone - I'd buy back F1 Empty Re: Ecclestone - I'd buy back F1

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 11 Jul 2011, 7:13 pm

no it wouldn't be good, mainly because the smaller teams like Hispania/Lotus would get the cold shoulder treatment (he's already criticised Hispania) and really it wouldn't help stability as we well know that he would sell again for a few more million.

Jósíah :]
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Mon 11 Jul 2011, 8:17 pm

I cant see it happening the teams wont want it and they usually get their way Run
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down